Wisconsin c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think I should say I joined a dodgeball league.....I guess it shows that I do more than just work.
If you have enough hours and are involved, and have "duties and responsibilities," I would. If it's not that many hours or you're not really involved, maybe not.

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my supplemental. Not sure how to feel about it. I left a couple of the sections blank and my diversity statement sucked. It's just hard for me to judge I guess. I mean I don't feel I grew up disadvantaged at all but at the same time it wasn't a normal childhood and yea we had financial hardships but so do most people. Blah..I'm just glad it's done.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think I should say I joined a dodgeball league.....I guess it shows that I do more than just work.
Yeah I think its a good idea, they probably like to see different activities you devote your time to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my supplemental. Not sure how to feel about it. I left a couple of the sections blank and my diversity statement sucked. It's just hard for me to judge I guess. I mean I don't feel I grew up disadvantaged at all but at the same time it wasn't a normal childhood and yea we had financial hardships but so do most people. Blah..I'm just glad it's done.
Yeah, same here. I feel terrible about leaving the additional animal/vet experience section blank. I feel like that would be looked upon poorly... This is my top school, I don't want to look bad :grumpy:

Late to the party, but hello and good luck everyone! Just struggled through my diversity statement as well...and now, we wait :whistle:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....I haven't started mine yet....probably should do that. Just started Christmas break and another application is not what I'm feeling like doing. Sounds like it takes a bit of time though. Good luck everybody!
Any ideas on when they send out acceptance/rejection letters?

I'm still working on my supplemental application too - it's definitely taken a backseat to studying for my biochem final in a couple days! Last year decisions went out in mid-February (a few OOS applicants got calls on 2/11 and everyone else got big brown envelopes in the mail on 2/15).

Reactions: 1 users
I think I got my call approximately the second week of February (but this was several years ago). I wouldn't expect anything sooner, I know that last year, they were still looking at applications down to the wire.

finally finished my supplemental...nothing like last minute completion

I just submitted! Probably should try to stop procrastinating before vet school... Anyway, good luck everyone! It's going to be a suspenseful 8 weeks until February!

Woohoo! Just got mine in!! High five for the last minute...

Members don't see this ad :)
day of walk of shame.
HAHA.

but it's done, and it was my last supplemental, so all applying nonsense is over with!
now to wait...

Ditto.

They probably look at the time stamp and discard all the procrastinators. :wacky:

Hey, does anyone know if UW Madison conducts tours of their School of Vet Med? I recently had an interview at MSU and they included a tour and an informative presentation about their school's curriculum and fin aid/scholarships, I found it to be really helpful. Anyone know anything about this type of thing at UW?

Hey, does anyone know if UW Madison conducts tours of their School of Vet Med? I recently had an interview at MSU and they included a tour and an informative presentation about their school's curriculum and fin aid/scholarships, I found it to be really helpful. Anyone know anything about this type of thing at UW?
If I remember right there is an open house date in March for those that get accepted. I'm sure you can get a tour/information outside of that day if you request it.

If I remember right there is an open house date in March for those that get accepted. I'm sure you can get a tour/information outside of that day if you request it.
Thanks! I'll probably just wait to see if I am accepted then ;P

Any idea if they email us to let us know when they get our fall transcripts or if it's a bad idea to email them to ask? Mine was apparently mailed 1/2/15, but I'm paranoid that it will get lost or something.

Do we require fall transcripts?

Edit: Never mind they do and they're due next week. Crap!

Any idea when and through which media they send out decisions?

Any idea when and through which media they send out decisions?
Previous years' threads seem to say a few people oos get calls and everything else is via snail mail. You can read past threads for more specific time frames, but tends to be mid Feb.

anyone have the address handy of where to send fall transcripts?

This sounds a little defeatist, but does anyone know whether they send out rejections? Or how/when one would know if they have been rejected?

This sounds a little defeatist, but does anyone know whether they send out rejections? Or how/when one would know if they have been rejected?
Rejections will come out the same time as waitlists (and some letters of acceptances) around the middle of February. It will most likely be by snail mail.

Anyone hear anything about receiving transcripts? It's been about 10 days since I had mine sent.

Anyone hear anything about receiving transcripts? It's been about 10 days since I had mine sent.
I didn't get any confirmation of receipt of my transcript, so I called the admissions office to check. The woman who answered was happy to verify that they had arrived.

Can any current UW students on here tell me how many people in your class are OOS? I was just contemplating my chances but its kinda hard to figure out because I haven't found any previous class stats that list # of OOS students admitted.

Can any current UW students on here tell me how many people in your class are OOS? I was just contemplating my chances but its kinda hard to figure out because I haven't found any previous class stats that list # of OOS students admitted.

I think there are 27 of us this year. And 60 IS.

Thanks for the response. So assuming 1,084 OOS people applied (that's the number given on the website), that means you were one of the 2% of out of staters to make it. Congrats, that is impressive! the 27 of you are so fortunate

Thanks for the response. So assuming 1,084 OOS people applied (that's the number given on the website), that means you were one of the 2% of out of staters to make it. Congrats, that is impressive! the 27 of you are so fortunate
They also go through quite a bit of their waitlist as well, so I honestly think it's greater than 2%. Last year they at least went to my number on the OOS waitlist (85), so don't give up hope quite yet :)

Reactions: 2 users
They also go through quite a bit of their waitlist as well, so I honestly think it's greater than 2%. Last year they at least went to my number on the OOS waitlist (85), so don't give up hope quite yet :)
Wow, I'm surprised that so many out-of-staters would turn down an offer from Wisconsin! But that's hopeful for people who get waitlisted! Does Wisconsin use a normal-sized waitlist and reject most applicants, as opposed to Illinois who waitlists everyone who interviewed but was not accepted?)

Wow, I'm surprised that so many out-of-staters would turn down an offer from Wisconsin! But that's hopeful for people who get waitlisted! Does Wisconsin use a normal-sized waitlist and reject most applicants, as opposed to Illinois who waitlists everyone who interviewed but was not accepted?)
I believe it went to 100 and something, but I could be wrong on the exact number. In general most schools actually accept more than you think they would, to accommodate for those that chooses their IS or another OOS school.

I believe it went to 100 and something, but I could be wrong on the exact number. In general most schools actually accept more than you think they would, to accommodate for those that chooses their IS or another OOS school.
Ahhhhh, gotcha. I was actually wondering about that - whether schools "over accept" knowing that not everyone will attend. Do you know if Mizzou does that, or do they only send acceptance letters to 60 out-of-staters then move onto the waitlist?

Ahhhhh, gotcha. I was actually wondering about that - whether schools "over accept" knowing that not everyone will attend. Do you know if Mizzou does that, or do they only send acceptance letters to 60 out-of-staters then move onto the waitlist?
At the lunch the dean told me they will accept between 80 and 100 people off the bat and that the wait list usually moves a fair amount

At the lunch the dean told me they will accept between 80 and 100 people off the bat and that the wait list usually moves a fair amount
Thanks, STL! Is that 80-100 people composed of both OOS and IS? Or are you referring to Mizzou?

Thanks, STL! Is that 80-100 people composed of both OOS and IS? Or are you referring to Mizzou?
Just OOS for the 60 spots :). And I was referring to Mizzou lol. I am pretty sure IS hasn't even interviewed for Mizzou yet and we will get decisions before they interview.

For Wisconsin, all I know is that the waitlist moved like crazy last year. Other than that, not a whole lot. All I know is I will be responding to calls anytime after the 10th of February from unknown numbers :p.

Just OOS for the 60 spots :). And I was referring to Mizzou lol. I am pretty sure IS hasn't even interviewed for Mizzou yet and we will get decisions before they interview.

For Wisconsin, all I know is that the waitlist moved like crazy last year. Other than that, not a whole lot. All I know is I will be responding to calls anytime after the 10th of February from unknown numbers :p.
Oh ok, well that makes me feel better about Mizzou! Thanks for the info! At least we'll have decisions in the next 17 days (not that I'm counting!) ;)

And same here- I'll be staring at my phone and inbox for pretty much all of February! :nailbiting:

Oh ok, well that makes me feel better about Mizzou! Thanks for the info! At least we'll have decisions in the next 17 days (not that I'm counting!) ;)

And same here- I'll be staring at my phone and inbox for pretty much all of February! :nailbiting:
Also Mizzou is now higher on my list then when we last talked, so who knows, we may end up classmates :p. I am pretty sure Ashgirl is hypnotizing me or something... :p And they told us that we could have decisions as early as today if people got their stuff in lol. Unfortunately, that is obviously not the case lol :p.

At least all of my schools have round about days for notifying us. Unfortunately, with the exception of Mizzou, they are all from the 11th to the 15th of February, so it shall be an interesting few days.

Also Mizzou is now higher on my list then when we last talked, so who knows, we may end up classmates :p. I am pretty sure Ashgirl is hypnotizing me or something... :p And they told us that we could have decisions as early as today if people got their stuff in lol. Unfortunately, that is obviously not the case lol :p.

At least all of my schools have round about days for notifying us. Unfortunately, with the exception of Mizzou, they are all from the 11th to the 15th of February, so it shall be an interesting few days.

To answer your question @GoldenGirl28 , Mizzou does accept quite a lot of OOS seats, and they even pull from the waitlist as well, so your chances are higher than it originally seems :)

And I have no idea what in the world you are talking about STL, I think the application cycle might be getting to you....

hypnotizing.gif

oie_CEot4ClCEYBR.gif

BRB, going to Mizzou for no reason at all. What, you don't even have my application? No matter, I'll just start now. Ktnx.

wow! I didn't even consider that, very true :) yay! it gives me hope

Someone mentioned unknown phone numbers up above.. Just so you guys know, the area code here is 608, and it should pop up as a call from Madison, WI (I can only say this for iPhones though). So at least you'll know which school is calling!

Does anyone know how gaining IS residency works for married students? I'm an IL resident but if I'm admitted to Wisconsin my husband would move to Madison and practice law there. I know some schools (like Mizzou) grant immediate IS residency under that scenario. Any info on how it works in Wisconsin?

Someone mentioned unknown phone numbers up above.. Just so you guys know, the area code here is 608, and it should pop up as a call from Madison, WI (I can only say this for iPhones though). So at least you'll know which school is calling!

When I was accepted (many years ago), the number that came up on the phone was 'UNKNOWN.' They probably used either their personal phone or an individual line in the school that they didn't want people to call back. That way, people called back the number they provided which would be the main line into the Office of Academic Affairs.

Does anyone know how gaining IS residency works for married students? I'm an IL resident but if I'm admitted to Wisconsin my husband would move to Madison and practice law there. I know some schools (like Mizzou) grant immediate IS residency under that scenario. Any info on how it works in Wisconsin?

My impression when I was there is that if your spouse has a 'real job,' you can claim residency after they have worked in that job for one year. The residency process isn't easy though. A few stars have to align to make it all work out. If it is a big factor for you, do your research and start the process as early as possible.

My impression when I was there is that if your spouse has a 'real job,' you can claim residency after they have worked in that job for one year. The residency process isn't easy though. A few stars have to align to make it all work out. If it is a big factor for you, do your research and start the process as early as possible.
Thank you so much! :)