Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi ladies!

i have a quick question about pants.

would these be appropriate to pair with a suit jacket?
http://www.calvinklein.com/webapp/w...ewAll=N&ddkey=http:en/ck/womens-pant/15058593

or are they too casual since they are "skinnies"?

thank you in advance! :)

Sorry - not appropriate.

Your goal here is to look professional, not hot, and not even attractive. Professional and appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

I searched this thread but didn't see anything. I was wondering if black leather pointy heels (not patent) would be inappropriate with a black pant suit? The heels are only about 1.5 inches. They don't look extremely pointy but they are pointed. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Day Ladies!

I recently had a Skype interview with JHU for their post bacc program. I wore a traditional black business suit, my long hair in a well contained bun, and a white tuxedo style blouse with a very different collar, sort of a mandarin with scarf looking wrap on it. I wore a small tasteful brooch in my lapel.

If I am chosen for an on campus interview, I bought this at Macy's - http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/le-suit-skirt-suit-ruffle-collar-jacket-straight-skirt?ID=790487

I have a tasteful scoop neck white tank for underneath to cover cleavage.

My question is this: Is the ruffle on the collar too casual? I thought it was a nice "make me different" feature.

Reposting, as I seem to have been overlooked....

Reposting, as I seem to have been overlooked....

In my opinion, the ruffles are a little bit more on the casual side. I would say stick to the traditional suit and try a different color top underneath if you want to stand out.

In my opinion, the ruffles are a little bit more on the casual side. I would say stick to the traditional suit and try a different color top underneath if you want to stand out.

Ruffles are 'girly' and feminine.
You want to look competent, professional and mature.

Not to suggest that feminine is less competent --- just that 'feminine' is not the same as 'competent'. You won't go wrong with a simple scoop neck, so long as it's not cleavage-revealing.

Keep in mind, I am 52 and a size 16. I wear my long hair in a groomed bun. My thought was that regular suits make me look stodgy, matronly, and almost severe and grandmotherly. This suit fit my curves nicely, and actually made me look softer, younger.....My decision to buy was based on SEVERAL comments from other shoppers and Macy's saleswomen. My hair is auburn ( colored - iron grey without), and my eyes are very blue.

Does this alter your opinion? Or do I still need to go with a suit?

Keep in mind, I am 52 and a size 16. I wear my long hair in a groomed bun. My thought was that regular suits make me look stodgy, matronly, and almost severe and grandmotherly. This suit fit my curves nicely, and actually made me look softer, younger.....My decision to buy was based on SEVERAL comments from other shoppers and Macy's saleswomen. My hair is auburn ( colored - iron grey without), and my eyes are very blue.

Does this alter your opinion? Or do I still need to go with a suit?

Alters my opinion entirely! For you, looking 'too young' and frivolous is not likely to be the problem it might be for a 22 year old. Your reasoning process sounds perfectly sound to me. I wish you the very best of luck in your application cycle and applaud your determination in changing paths and moving forward the way you are. You'll bring a lot to the table --

Thanks!!! I appreciate it!! Even at my age, a girl can get flustered about "What to wear??" Glad I made a good decision....

So question for everyone....I know that "heel height" has come up before, but I didn't get a good definitive answer in the 10 or so pages I've been scrolling through. I will be wearing a black skirt suit with a blue/teal button up shirt. I have plain black leather heels with about a 3" heel height. Is this too much? They are comfortable, and I can walk well in them. There's no "rise" on the toe part, so they don't look.....um, unsavory to say it nicely. Too much or totally fine? I didn't really think twice about it before because I was going to wear a pant suit, but realized that in the 8 years (and three kids ago) my suit has been sitting in the back of the closet, I may have put on/retained a few pounds, and the pants look horrible. So, skirt it is....and now my shoes won't be covered.
Suggestions?!

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/76997-1019959/Franco+Sarto/Black/Womens+Napoli.aspx

^^Those are the exact shoes :)

Thank you for bringing this up!! I had the same question. I bought SUPER cute Nine West (drusila) heels that are like a little over 3" but I wore them out the other weekend and I walk fine in them. May end up bringing flats in my purse incase I have to walk around a lot though (I'm famous for doing that haha). I just like the look of heels more with a skirt suit.

One thing I should add: Ladies if you're wearing a skirt MAKE SURE it is knee length. I don't know if this has been brought up but god forbid you get that one conservative doctor that frowns upon anything shorter. The doctor I've been working with lectured me on how my suit needs to be a solid color and knee length because she did resident and medical interviews for years. Really wanted to go with this super cute purple skirt with black sides and she about had my head :(

Sorry if this has already been mentioned- what is appropriate to bring as a purse? Something small? A briefcase-style? Does it need to be black? Thanks for any help, I'm stumped!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned- what is appropriate to bring as a purse? Something small? A briefcase-style? Does it need to be black? Thanks for any help, I'm stumped!

I carried a medium sized tote that stands up on its own. I got it in brown since my interview shoes are brown. It was large enough to fit all necessities including a leather portfolio.

I've only attended 1 of my interviews so far but from what I saw, everyone pretty much brought some variation of a purse + portfolio. (Many of the guys also carried some form of a 'briefcase-style' shoulder bag'.) It is definitely just up to you and what you're comfortable with carrying around. You will not feel out of place carrying some form of a bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
I carried a medium sized tote that stands up on its own. I got it in brown since my interview shoes are brown. It was large enough to fit all necessities including a leather portfolio.

After my first interview, I didn't find it necessary to carry anything at all. The admissions offices have all had a place for my luggage so I have been leaving everything - coat, cell phone, wallet - inside my luggage. All of my interviews so far have given me a folder and a pen so I have needed zero things throughout the day. Personally, I don't think there is any reason to have extra stuff to take care of if you don't have to. Then again, I know many ladies feel naked without their purses :p

hi! quick question, would this dress http://www.loft.com/seamed-textured...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600 (in black) with a black blazer/jacket look formal enough?? gracias!

Attractive dress, provided the fit is not anywhere close to 'tight' -- If anyone [read: conservative, frumpy older woman or 'codger'] could describe it as 'tight' then go up a size. (The ad's text is all about clingy and form-fitting -- which is NOT good. But the dress LOOKS fine.) Remember, this is the place for 'professional', not 'hot'. Either a scarf or simple classic necklace (gold chain?) to accent it and conservative heels. And make sure your blacks don't fight. (some do)

Oh - didn't see the Teal option before. Teal solves the 'fighting blacks' issue.

What do you guys think of a pink shirt (collared, button-up) with a black skirt suit? Would a white shirt be a safer/more conservative choice?

What do you guys think of a pink shirt (collared, button-up) with a black skirt suit? Would a white shirt be a safer/more conservative choice?

White is safer. Pink depends on the shade. Don't blind your interviewer.

After my first interview, I didn't find it necessary to carry anything at all. The admissions offices have all had a place for my luggage so I have been leaving everything - coat, cell phone, wallet - inside my luggage. All of my interviews so far have given me a folder and a pen so I have needed zero things throughout the day. Personally, I don't think there is any reason to have extra stuff to take care of if you don't have to. Then again, I know many ladies feel naked without their purses :p

I have definitely heard the same from friends that have interviewed. For the particular school I interviewed at no folders were passed out (they were pushing for a paperless admissions process) so any papers, pamphlets, or business cards you picked up from the info sessions had to be carried on your own. We were also given water bottles at lunch which people also kept in their bags for use during the tour (it was pretty warm that day and the tour was long). Lastly, literally every interviewee had at least a thin portfolio for their interview. I know for me it calms my nerves to at least have a pad of paper to jot down questions that I have, key talking points, etc. during the interview. I'm also driving to half of my interviews so I have to keep things like my keys and wallet on me.

I think it's largely a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind potentially carrying around a few things throughout the day, the minimal approach is probably the way to go. And I you would prefer carrying a bag and/or portfolio, as long as it looks professional, that would be fine as well.

I think I also just like carrying a bag :D

Ladies! Looking for bag advice. I know the topic has been covered numerous times in this thread but I've got a question about backpacks. I've got a sleek and professional looking backpack which I would love to use for interviews. I plan to have a change of shoes, umbrella, notepad, etc. on my person during interviews and think it'll be a comfortable way to haul around everything.

Most comments I've read said no to backpacks but I wanted to get feedback on mine. Thoughts? Appropriate? Thanks!

Here's the link as well:
http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Boxy-Oversi...h5LU92ZXJzaXplZC1QZWJibGUtQmFja3BhY2svUHJvZC8.

Attachments

• image1xl.jpg
    image1xl.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 73
Ladies! Looking for bag advice. I know the topic has been covered numerous times in this thread but I've got a question about backpacks. I've got a sleek and professional looking backpack which I would love to use for interviews. I plan to have a change of shoes, umbrella, notepad, etc. on my person during interviews and think it'll be a comfortable way to haul around everything.

Most comments I've read said no to backpacks but I wanted to get feedback on mine. Thoughts? Appropriate? Thanks!

Here's the link as well:
http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Boxy-Oversi...h5LU92ZXJzaXplZC1QZWJibGUtQmFja3BhY2svUHJvZC8.

As backpacks go, it's better than most -- But it's still a backpack and still a NO.
Backpacks make you look like a high school / college student. What you want to look like is a young doctor.

Reactions: 1 user

Here's the link as well:

In my opinion, that's a little too trendy/casual for an interview. At the interview I went to yesterday, all of the women were carrying purses. That just seems to be what's expected! You shouldn't need more than what you can fit in a handbag (in fact, they made us check all of our bags at the door!).

Okay, I won't be using my backpack. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I have to go purse shopping!

OK. I have been trying to keep a cool head throughout the whole "shopping for interview clothing" process, but I'm on the verge of a complete meltdown. I'm hoping you guys might have some insight to offer to my queries.

1) I have a brown tweed skirt suit. I bought a mustard yellow silk shell with a small paisley print to wear underneath. I think it looks professional, but I'm terrified that I'm wrong. I'm worried that because it's a shell and not a button down, collared shirt it's automatically not okay. Is a shell okay? I won't be taking my jacket off.

2) I should preface this question with the fact that I am sometimes really bad at judging colours/what matches, etc. I have really nice black shoes and I thought I could get away with wearing them with the suit, even though the suit is brown. (Even though it looks grey to me; everyone tells me it's brown and that this is another example of my colour issues. :) ) The problem is that I think a black bag with the suit looks like too much black. But I can't have black shoes and a brown bag, right? But I also am not going to find EXACTLY the same colour of brown in a shoe and bag. So I can go a) black shoes, no bag b) buy new brown shoes and brown bag and match as best I can or c) will it look ridiculous to have black shoes and black bag and a brown suit? Is anyone really going to care?

3) Are any of these bags suitable for interviews? Do any of them stand out as better than others?

http://www.amazon.com/Tosca-Belted-...r_1_41?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1383581758&sr=1-41

http://www.amazon.com/Noble-Mount-Constance-Satchel-Handbag/dp/B00BGBREF6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_shoe_10

http://www.amazon.com/ALDO-Gowrie-H...1_158?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1383582130&sr=1-158

http://www.amazon.com/Scarleton-Cla...1_326?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1383584902&sr=1-326

4) Do I really need a padfolio? Are these truly helpful/necessary?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

1. I've seen tons of girls on interviews without button down collared shirts. Totally fine IMO :)

2. Maybe someone else can be of help here because I can't quite picture what this would look like in my head :p. Is this brown suit dark?

3. I personally like the Tosca one more. The Noble one is a little shiny for me and the Aldo one seems a bit too "shopping time".

4. Not necessary. Most schools give you a folder with lots of papers to write on. That's what I do and doesn't seem to matter :p

I need an opinion:

white dress shirt, black blazer, knee-length black and white skirt...

I'm concerned about the skirt. Should I just go all black? Also nude stockings and almost-black blue heels.

Any suggestions on stores I could look into would also be appreciated
MhX8nd

I need an opinion:

I'm concerned about the skirt. Should I just go all black? Also nude stockings and almost-black blue heels.

Two solid blacks that don't match well are less-good than a black blazer and black & white skirt -- in general. Kind of depends on how professional the black & white is. A 'happy' cotton floral is not professional, but a wool mini-print or b&w weave is extremely professional. Nude stockings and black shoes would be correct with that.

Any suggestions on stores I could look into would also be appreciated.

Stores for what? Suits, bags, shoes? With a 'good eye' you can shop in many places and find great stuff at great prices. If you don't feel confident in your own choices, I'd suggest Brooks Brothers, Nordstroms, and Talbots but bring your credit card.

Reactions: 1 users
(To add to the last post) found most of my suit at H&M, but it's definitely not a long term investment suit (dont have the money now to buy a legit one until residency :laugh:. Looks nicer than it really is, but actually so-so (material quality wise). Blazer, pants, top, and belt cost me around $80

I need an opinion:

I'm concerned about the skirt. Should I just go all black? Also nude stockings and almost-black blue heels. Any suggestions on stores I could look into would also be appreciated

It depends on the skirt's fit, since black/white and black would both go with a black blazer. Choose whichever is more flattering on you.

With regard to where to buy an outfit, that depends on your style. I was very pleased with the selection at J. Crew and Nordstrom, both of which cater to a specific look (Nordstrom has a bit more flexibility). Neither place is exactly wallet-friendly, but their items are usually good quality and versatile. Macy's suit section just bored me to death... Ann Taylor had a nice selection!

It depends on the skirt's fit, since black/white and black would both go with a black blazer. Choose whichever is more flattering on you.

I'm going to respectfully disagree -- The point of your interview outfit is not to make you look good; it's to make you look professional. So 'flattering' is the wrong criteria. Your skirt should fit, but it should not draw attention to a curvy tush, skinny waist or shapely legs the way a 'flattering' fit would. In fact, the word 'fit' probably needs adjustment. Current fashion trends are all about highlighting curves. But for a professional interview, that's all wrong. The 'fit' of your interview skirt should probably be about two sizes larger than you would wear out to dinner.

Guideline
: If a TV anchor or lawyer/CEO type on a popular TV drama would wear it, it's too tight. If a female politician would wear it, it's just right. If a male politician's wife would wear it, it's probably too soft and feminine.

As to the black & black -- So long as the fabrics are distinctly different, it's probably OK. But you don't want to look like you mismatched the jacket from one suit to the skirt from another.

Reactions: 1 users
is a charcoal grey pant suit with a wine colored shirt ok?

flats or heels?

shoe recomendations?

is a charcoal grey pant suit with a wine colored shirt ok?
flats or heels?
shoe recomendations?

Charcoal with wine - Sounds nice, assuming the pant suit is professional rather than casual.
Heel height will depend to some degree on the pants length -- Lower than 'sexy' but don't need to go all the way down to 'frumpy' :cool:

I found a navy pant suit and am looking for a berry shell to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for jewelry?

I found a navy pant suit and am looking for a berry shell to go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for jewelry?

Simple, small, gold? Gold chain necklace in the style that best suits the neckline of your shell and simple stud earrings. Or pearls - always a classic. Of course, they don't need to be real...

Charcoal with wine - Sounds nice, assuming the pant suit is professional rather than casual.
Heel height will depend to some degree on the pants length -- Lower than 'sexy' but don't need to go all the way down to 'frumpy' :cool:

thanks, it is definitely a professional suit. still on the lookout for better shoes than i have. thank you!

What kind of jackets are you gals wearing to these cold winter interviews? I have a skirt suit and will be freezing and am not sure my peacoat is enough. But it's the most professional jacket I've got.

What kind of jackets are you gals wearing to these cold winter interviews? I have a skirt suit and will be freezing and am not sure my peacoat is enough. But it's the most professional jacket I've got.

I'll be toughing it out in my skirt suit and peacoat :)

Seriously though, during my interview in the cold lands of Minnesota I picked up a nice trick. Get a long and wide wool scarf that looks nice with your coat. I wrapped the scarf around my neck and then flared out/unfolded the edges so they formed another layer between me and the peacoat, one in the front, one in the back. It really helped (just make sure the scarf doesn't leave fuzzies on your suit).

I'll be toughing it out in my skirt suit and peacoat :)

Seriously though, during my interview in the cold lands of Minnesota I picked up a nice trick. Get a long and wide wool scarf that looks nice with your coat. I wrapped the scarf around my neck and then flared out/unfolded the edges so they formed another layer between me and the peacoat, one in the front, one in the back. It really helped (just make sure the scarf doesn't leave fuzzies on your suit).

That's smart! Will have to try it. Thank you!

Dear EVERYBODY. I have interviewed many undergraduate students and spoken with faculty that interview at Medical Schools. The goal is, just look professional. Wear something conservative. You absolutely do not have to wear the same colored shoes as the rest of your outfit, you can wear a black blazer with a textured wool skirt! It does not matter what color the shirt underneath your suit is. Nor does the color of your bag matter (except maybe some sort of neon). Guess what ? You can wear earrings or even a simple necklace!

Seriously, people take this WAY too strictly. There are many ways of dressing professionally and wearing a suit. If you are more comfortable in flats, nobody is going to say "wow that woman really should have worn heels. We aren't going to accept her now". If you don't consider yourself fashionable, don't try to be. Any interviewer who considers something like "wow that color really washed her out" or "navy does not go with black!" should not be giving interviews. Also, if you are going to the Twin Cities in winter, WEAR A TASTEFUL/DRESSY PAIR OF BOOTS. There is already over a foot of snow here and two days ago, the high was -2.

Reactions: 2 users
Alright, I have a question about hair. I have medium length curly hair, and it's probably too much of a mess to leave down. I thought about putting it in a low bun with a headband, would that be ok, or would a ponytail be better?

Also, I was looking at this dress and jacket from Macys, it this formal enough? I thought a dress/jacket combo was ok, but a lot of the comments were saying that it wasn't formal enough.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...n=BRAND=Tahari&sp=1&spc=25&ruleId=65&slotId=1

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...sper&COLOR=Gray&sp=1&spc=1&ruleId=65&slotId=1

Ivanka Trump's book, The Trump Card, has a bunch of general interview advice, including clothing, on page 109 in the Recipe for Success chapter. It's a quick read if you're ever in a book store with a couple minutes to spare.

Alright, I have a question about hair. I have medium length curly hair, and it's probably too much of a mess to leave down. I thought about putting it in a low bun with a headband, would that be ok, or would a ponytail be better?

Also, I was looking at this dress and jacket from Macys, it this formal enough? I thought a dress/jacket combo was ok, but a lot of the comments were saying that it wasn't formal enough.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-by-asl-dress-cap-sleeve-belted-sheath?ID=801949&CategoryID=5449&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Tahari&sp=1&spc=25&ruleId=65&slotId=1

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kasper-jacket-seamed-notched-collar?ID=644893&CategoryID=120&LinkType=#fn=BRAND=Kasper&COLOR=Gray&sp=1&spc=1&ruleId=65&slotId=1

Those dresses, with jackets, are plenty professional provided they are not too tight. How tight is too tight? What you see on TV and on celebrities is too tight. They don't have to hang shapelessly, but if jacketless, someone might say 'sexy' instead of 'tasteful', then you're too tight.

Hey everyone,

Great thread!
Couple of questions though . . .. advice would be awesome!

1) I have a navy blue blazer I bought like a couple of years ago. I think cause it was one of those suit separates, they didn't give the garment bag with it . . .so it has gathered dust particularly near the shoulder pad areas. Is this something a lint roller can fix? Or do I have to dry clean it?

2) Do we absolutely need to bring a watch in? Can't we just use our cell phones during the break and during lunch to see what time it is? Or is this more unprofessional?

3) How far ahead did you all buy your suits, make-up, pursues and shoes?
Should you wait for an interview invite prior to buying all of this? Or can you buy this like 4 months ahead of time( considering that the stores have sales during different times)?

4) What about renting women's suits(especially jackets)? Is that expensive in the long run? Are there any good places?

5)When we buy a suit . . . .does the sleeve have to hit your wrist or does it have to go further?
Also how far down( like . .. should it hit your waist? or a little above your waist?)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This thread is really helpful and I am definitely going to be reading it over the next several months until interview season! Thanks for bumping it, @Jay2910. I don't have answers to any of your questions but I'm curious about the answers too.

Last edited:
I remember LizzyM saying once that she wished women would wear something other than navy or black suits. Anyone want to be daring because I'm sure as hell not going to wear that gorgeous wine-colored three button suit from Jones New York.

Hey everyone,

Great thread!
Couple of questions though . . .. advice would be awesome!

1) I have a navy blue blazer I bought like a couple of years ago. I think cause it was one of those suit separates, they didn't give the garment bag with it . . .so it has gathered dust particularly near the shoulder pad areas. Is this something a lint roller can fix? Or do I have to dry clean it?

2) Do we absolutely need to bring a watch in? Can't we just use our cell phones during the break and during lunch to see what time it is? Or is this more unprofessional?

3) How far ahead did you all buy your suits, make-up, pursues and shoes?
Should you wait for an interview invite prior to buying all of this? Or can you buy this like 4 months ahead of time( considering that the stores have sales during different times)?

4) What about renting women's suits(especially jackets)? Is that expensive in the long run? Are there any good places?

5)When we buy a suit . . . .does the sleeve have to hit your wrist or does it have to go further?
Also how far down( like . .. should it hit your waist? or a little above your waist?)?

Thanks!

1) Depends on how set in the dust is. Simple solution, though...get out the lint roller and try it. If it doesn't work and you want to wear it, get it dry cleaned. Although, if it's been sitting in your closet for a few years, there's a chance it's gathered a certain musty/old scent, so you might just want to get it dry cleaned anyway!

2) I don't now if it's absolutely necessary, but I guess the question is, if there's a chance someone might see you looking at your cell instead of interacting with other interviewees and think it's unprofessional, why would you risk it? Especially when you can pick up a decent watch at Target for less than $20...it might not last a lifetime, but it'll certainly get you through interview season.

3) and 4) I'd say unless you're planning to gain a significant amount of weight in the next few months, you're fine buying it now if that's what you want. I bought mine about two weeks ago because I found the jacket and skirt on sale. If you're doing it this way, I think it would certainly be easier/cheaper than renting (can you even do that? I've never heard of renting women's suits). You don't have to go out and buy a set, you can buy things piecemeal as they you find them as long as you make sure they'll look good together. (Hint: if you're looking for shirts, get over to a Coldwater Creek before the liquidation sales wipes out their stock, they've got great collared shirts that you should be able to pick up at a steep discount right now.)

5) That's a personal taste question, I think. Sleeves certainly shouldn't be so long that they are at the middle of your hands, but you don't want them really short either. It's a Goldilocks thing, I guess. I like the hem of the jacket to be just below the waistband. Much higher than that and it just looks funny when you lift up your arms. When you're buying your suit, though, go for structure and fit even if the sleeves are a tad long. You can easily get those taken up by a tailor.

Re a watch - You won't need one. A cell phone is just fine, but don't fiddle with your phone any more than necessary. (A quick peek in a non-occupied moment is fine.) In the opinions of many older people (your interviewers) many young people spend WAY too much time playing with their electronics.

On timing, buy your suit / dress & jacket whenever you see the right one at a great price. It's not too soon to start looking.

And regarding color - it does NOT have to be black or navy. Those are safe choices, but not the only GOOD choices. Wine would be fine. So would teal, grey, and many other colors. I would avoid pastels and neons, many prints (animal, floral, most large prints), and sheers.

Again, the look to go for is "female politician" -- not news anchor, TV show doctor or lawyer, or wife of male politician. You want to look competent and professional, not 'hot' or even (necessarily) attractive.

Thanks DokterMom and LaceyMD!

I was also thinking as for the tote . . .I wanted to go for something like this:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#...men/Handbags/products/Neverfull-PM-EPI-M40958

I absolutely refuse to break the bank with that. Is there a cheaper alternative but similar size and shade?

Also, I wanted to know . . . .regarding purse shopping . .. it is something that you would do online? or you have to do it in person?
Suppose you buy the purse online .. . how do you know about its fit and how sure can you be of the shade?