Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what I figured. Thank you Starlite and DokterMom!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sooooo...I'm going to be something like 8 or 9 months pregnant when I interview (doing EDP, due in the middle of October). There is no hiding it, as I was only 125 lbs before I got pregnant. I'm ALL belly now. Ladies, do you have any tips for me? I'd like to find maybe a nice maternity skirt suit with a blue blouse and low heels I can actually walk in.

I think a dress or jumper (plus blazer of course) might be more discrete -- but yeah, there's no hiding that much baby.

All I can suggest is that you carefully plan your responses to how you plan to juggle baby plus med school. Either one on it's own is a full plate, but both together... Don't pretend you have all the answers, but do have at the ready a list of all your support systems - spouse, parents, day care, etc. It has been done, so it must be possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo...I'm going to be something like 8 or 9 months pregnant when I interview (doing EDP, due in the middle of October). There is no hiding it, as I was only 125 lbs before I got pregnant. I'm ALL belly now. Ladies, do you have any tips for me? I'd like to find maybe a nice maternity skirt suit with a blue blouse and low heels I can actually walk in.
Unrelated to outfits but this blog is super interesting because the woman had 2 children while in med school at UPenn.
http://annainmedschool.com/
So maybe you can find some good tips in there on how to deal with a baby in med school.

This is the time when you can break the rules; most people will understand that you wardrobe options are limited. Even as hard line as I would not expect you to purchase a maternity suit that you'll never wear again.

You are allowed to wear your blouse untucked. I could even get behind not wearing a matched suit jacket if you had a polished looking dress.

If you are carrying all your weight up front and your breasts haven't expanded beyond all recognition, you may be able to get away with a current suit jacket you own and just purchase a maternity business skirt. While Pea in the Pod is usually expensive, you are look here for some ideas: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/nine+west+e...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

Loft also carries cute maternity wear on-line; they have some black trousers and lots of appropriate blouses. You may find something there that works for you as well.

I happen to think that @DokterMom 's suggestion of a dress may be best.

Continuing from my previous question - if I wear these heels with a navy pantsuit, what should the color of my top be? Can I wear a brighter color, and if so, what colors go with navy?

And @chocoholicsoxfan, that site looks amazing. :D

Continuing from my previous question - if I wear these heels with a navy pantsuit, what should the color of my top be? Can I wear a brighter color, and if so, what colors go with navy?

And @chocoholicsoxfan, that site looks amazing. :D
Your shoes are supposed to be darker than the clothes. Thus, you shouldn't really wear a light grey shoe with a navy suit.

As for what colors go with navy, almost everything does. Think of it as a neutral.

Horrendous wailing -- where are the jewel tones? Why so many bizarre patterns?

Also, since my comment got buried: is it acceptable to carry a small crossbody handbag and a portfolio? Something like this. I'm not partial to the large, structured bags recommended previously
Well the bag you've linked is much larger than the ones I've recommended at 24x19x10 in. With a bag that big you should be able to put the portfolio inside (which was my point in picking bags around 12-13 inches long).

Well the bag you've linked is much larger than the ones I've recommended at 24x19x10 in. With a bag that big you should be able to put the portfolio inside (which was my point in picking bags around 12-13 inches long).

Centimeters, not inches

is there a rule for button numbers? is a one button suit professional or is it better to have 2/3?

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a rule for button numbers? is a one button suit professional or is it better to have 2/3?

For women's suits, it's not really a big issue. The length, lapels, fabric, cut are more important.

Another option. I like this one because it has a lining so it's completely opaque, there are a few color options, AND it's on sale!

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/pr...-pleated-shell-solid-/A-prod3580034/#N-102783

I'd definitely want to try that one on. The sheer overlayer -- if it's noticeable -- could be distracting. You know how when something's sheer, you kinda try to see through it? But if you don't see the sheerness, it could be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd definitely want to try that one on. The sheer overlayer -- if it's noticeable -- could be distracting. You know how when something's sheer, you kinda try to see through it? But if you don't see the sheerness, it could be fine.

No worries- I have! It's been tough finding a shell for me because I have mocha colored skin and almost every top in a lighter color is too sheer. At that to the fact that cleavage is a huge issue for me and I have wine colored shoes, and my options are rather limited.

But yeah I wouldn't buy anything for this situation without trying it on first- at least in a different color!

No worries- I have! It's been tough finding a shell for me because I have mocha colored skin and almost every top in a lighter color is too sheer. At that to the fact that cleavage is a huge issue for me and I have wine colored shoes, and my options are rather limited.

But yeah I wouldn't buy anything for this situation without trying it on first- at least in a different color!

Rose pink.

I've read the last chunk of this thread and wanted to get a few opinions on the outfit I have planned.

Background: I'm 25 y/o, 5'5 with a petite (hourglass) frame, very big curly dark brown hair, and "olive" skin; applying DO; intend to interview somewhere cold in October.

My plan is as follows (I haven't bought anything yet):

grey or black wool pant suit, well-fitted and legs tailored to the proper length
purple silk shirt, no buttons, maybe long sleeves (probably tucked-in)
black leather shoes with no or minimal heel, not too shiny
no purse, satchel, clutch, etc.
no jewelry except very simple earrings, maybe small sapphire studs set in silver or white gold
hair down, with a side-part and a French braid down one side to keep it out of my face
minimal mineral makeup: concealer under eyes, little bit of light grey eye shadow blended up on lids only, little bit of grey liner, little mascara, tinted lip gloss

I'll probably put on the eye shadow and liner the day before, then fix any smudges the morning of, as it always seems to look better the day after!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I've read the last chunk of this thread and wanted to get a few opinions on the outfit I have planned.

Background: I'm 25 y/o, 5'5 with a petite (hourglass) frame, very big curly dark brown hair, and "olive" skin; applying DO; intend to interview somewhere cold in October.

grey or black wool pant suit, well-fitted and legs tailored to the proper length
no jewelry except very simple earrings, maybe small sapphire studs set in silver or white gold
hair down, with a side-part and a French braid down one side to keep it out of my face
minimal mineral makeup: concealer under eyes, little bit of light grey eye shadow blended up on lids only, little bit of grey liner (top only), little mascara, tinted lip gloss

Whoa, it sounds like we're totally twins, except that I'm almost 23. Mixed black and white? :) I have no idea how to do my hair because I wear it the same way every day (down, no part). It doesn't move much, so it won't get in my face, but sometimes the curls in the back get a little frizzy (can fix with water). Maybe I'll have to do some experimenting...but I don't feel nearly as confident when I wear it up.

Your outfit sounds perfect.

Could you show the color of purple? Some are not so good; others are probably fine. Definitely tucked in unless it's a style where that would be ridiculous.

You're not so tall that a 'no-heel' would generally be advisable. Low to moderate is fine.

"Well fitted" is a very subjective term. For a young woman with an "hourglass" figure, you need to walk that delicate line between 'sexy' and 'dowdy'. For THIS interview, err on the side of dowdy. (Sorry!)

I got confused on the hair. Down? Up? or Half and half? Maybe you could post a picture of something similar?

Whoa, it sounds like we're totally twins, except that I'm almost 23. Mixed black and white? :) I have no idea how to do my hair because I wear it the same way every day (down, no part). It doesn't move much, so it won't get in my face, but sometimes the curls in the back get a little frizzy (can fix with water). Maybe I'll have to do some experimenting...but I don't feel nearly as confident when I wear it up.

Your outfit sounds perfect.
Thank you. I'm actually German, Jewish, French, Irish, and Native American. The olive skin and curly hair are from the German Jews on my dad's side of the family. I wish I was half black though because it would help my chances of acceptance significantly. :p
Could you show the color of purple? Some are not so good; others are probably fine. Definitely tucked in unless it's a style where that would be ridiculous.

You're not so tall that a 'no-heel' would generally be advisable. Low to moderate is fine.

"Well fitted" is a very subjective term. For a young woman with an "hourglass" figure, you need to walk that delicate line between 'sexy' and 'dowdy'. For THIS interview, err on the side of dowdy. (Sorry!)

I got confused on the hair. Down? Up? or Half and half? Maybe you could post a picture of something similar?
It would be a light (lilac?) purple with a dark grey or black suit or a royal purple or indigo with a lighter grey suit, I think.

I can do a 1-2" heel. More than that would be uncomfortable as I usually don't wear shoes at all.

Is tighter fitting (not stretchy) still too much if the shirt underneath has a high neckline (1-2" below my collarbone)?

Hair like this, but with a tighter braid (and mine is much curlier):

l_2dca3fa0-9a4f-11e1-ac93-4da708b00002.jpg

Thank you. I'm actually German, Jewish, French, Irish, and Native American. The olive skin and curly hair are from the German Jews on my dad's side of the family. I wish I was half black though because it would help my chances of acceptance significantly. :p

It would be a light (lilac?) purple with a dark grey or black suit or a royal purple or indigo with a lighter grey suit, I think.

I can do a 1-2" heel. More than that would be uncomfortable as I usually don't wear shoes at all.

Is tighter fitting (not stretchy) still too much if the shirt underneath has a high neckline (1-2" below my collarbone)?

Hair like this, but with a tighter braid (and mine is much curlier):

l_2dca3fa0-9a4f-11e1-ac93-4da708b00002.jpg
Coming from a more conservative undergrad, I was advised to:
1. have my shirt cover my collar bone ( I think this is overkill, but still wearing a looser-fitting blouse)

and

2. wear my hair at least half back. My hair is about the length/texture of this picture, and I would wear my hair like this on a date, but not necessarily an interview.

Just my $0.02 though!

minimal mineral makeup: concealer under eyes, little bit of light grey eye shadow blended up on lids only, little bit of grey liner, little mascara, tinted lip gloss

I'll probably put on the eye shadow and liner the day before, then fix any smudges the morning of, as it always seems to look better the day after!

Please do your makeup the morning of.

Reactions: 4 users
Also as a note, I would stick with a darker grey suit, as it's more appropriate for all seasons, since you'll likely be interviewing in winter as well, where light grey isn't exactly ~in season,~ if you're one to care about things such as that.

Would it be okay to have long hair fixed into a parted low bun? Or would a parted low ponytail be a safer bet?

This looks a lot like bedroom hair to me. I would personally go with a hairstyle that is more contained.
Do you think that a different version of 1/2 braided, 1/2 down could work? Any suggestions?

Do you think that a different version of 1/2 braided, 1/2 down could work? Any suggestions?
As far as the hairstyle you posted goes, it matters a lot if your hair is naturally curly or if you're talking about curling it with a curling iron. If it's naturally curly, curls are fine. If you're thinking of curling it with an iron, that has a tendency to look a little too beauty pageant like.

As far as the hairstyle you posted goes, it matters a lot if your hair is naturally curly or if you're talking about curling it with a curling iron. If it's naturally curly, curls are fine. If you're thinking of curling it with an iron, that has a tendency to look a little too beauty pageant like.
My hair naturally looks a lot like this:

GtLFeatureImage_glossy_curls_After.jpg

However, I generally don't wear any product in it so it's a bit more frizzy than that. Putting half of it up would help with the frizz.

I could also use a little product, but less than she's using so it doesn't look like plastic.

Mine is about down to the bottom of my shoulder blades.

My hair naturally looks a lot like this:

GtLFeatureImage_glossy_curls_After.jpg

However, I generally don't wear any product in it so it's a bit more frizzy than that. Putting half of it up would help with the frizz.

I could also use a little product, but less than she's using so it doesn't look like plastic.

Mine is about down to the bottom of my shoulder blades.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with half up, half down. That's actually what I'm doing. It's how exactly you do it that matters. Since your hair is naturally curly, the way your hair would look would probably be significantly different from the picture your originally posted because it would be obvious that your curls are natural, and that looks less dolled up (I mean this in a good way, you don't want to look too dolled up).

Moar pictures of my natural hair type:

180567294_fc66c0ade1_m.jpg

759c36a1769b786b_Corinne-Bailey-Rae-hair.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with half up, half down. That's actually what I'm doing. It's how exactly you do it that matters. Since your hair is naturally curly, the way your hair would look would probably be significantly different from the picture your originally posted because it would be obvious that your curls are natural, and that looks less dolled up (I mean this in a good way, you don't want to look too dolled up).

Any suggestions on the "right" way to do it?

Any suggestions on the "right" way to do it?
It's hard for me to describe exactly what constitutes right and wrong ways, but the general issue is looking professional as opposed to dolled up. A good place to start is this: ask yourself if this is a hairstyle that girls would wear to prom. If the answer is yes, you probably don't want to do it. I think the style you posted originally with the curling iron curls and braid looked more like a prom style. This is what you should try to avoid.

In general, simple is best. A simple braid or French braid down the back can work for lots of women. So can a simple low ponytail or low bun. Hair that is half up, half down without too much embellishment (i.e. no complicated braids or fancy, artificial curls) works too.

It's hard for me to describe exactly what constitutes right and wrong ways, but the general issue is looking professional as opposed to dolled up. A good place to start is this: ask yourself if this is a hairstyle that girls would wear to prom. If the answer is yes, you probably don't want to do it. I think the style you posted originally with the curling iron curls and braid looked more like a prom style. This is what you should try to avoid.

In general, simple is best. A simple braid or French braid down the back can work for lots of women. So can a simple low ponytail or low bun. Hair that is half up, half down without too much embellishment (i.e. no complicated braids or fancy, artificial curls) works too.

sddefault159.jpg

Too complicated/fancy?

Edit: Not professional enough?

Soooo when people say the collar of blouse should go with the suit can someone be more specific? Excuse my ignorance...

So do that, and then braid it out of your face. Nothing too tight, but not sloppy enough to look casual and beachy.

Not too much hairspray either plz. Crunchy looking curly hair is the worst

Soooo when people say the collar of blouse should go with the suit can someone be more specific? Excuse my ignorance...
When shopping for a shell, take your suit jacket with you. You'll see what we mean when you try things on, and if not, then ask a sales associate- it's what we're there for! Some cuts just do not work together, but it also can depend on the material, structure, and the shape of both the jacket and the blouse. As an example, the collar of my blazer is cut in such a way that if I wear a shirt with a crew neck above my collar bone, I look as though it's choking me- a very awkward look. It can depend on the length of your torso also, so just try things on and see what looks right! As long as you're not shopping at Goodwill (and no disrespect if you are), any sales associate will be willing to help. Just pick one who you think is wearing well fitting clothes.

Reactions: 3 users
Is 5'10" too tall to wear heels (low pumps, ~2.5" heel)?

No such thing as too tall to wear heels if you can wear them with confidence. Seriously. A tall woman in heels is strikingly attractive.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it appropriate to post a picture of our outfit (with face cropped out) on this thread for critiques?

Go for it.

Thanks, I was wondering if there was a rule against it since I didn't see anyone doing it during my brief skim of this thread.

Also, afraid to unleash the hidden lookbookers on this forum (I am one of them).

Is 5'10" too tall to wear heels (low pumps, ~2.5" heel)?
Nope. It's more formal to have heels during interview, even if just a little.
Source: i'm taller, wore kitten heels. Felt great, did great.