Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to find a blouse to go with my black, one button skirt suit. I'm fair skinned so I'm trying to find something that won't wash me out. Do you guys think any of these would work? If not, do you have any recommendations?

1: in teal frost http://www.anntaylor.com/crepe-v-ne...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=1246

2: http://www.anntaylor.com/chambray-d...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=8552

3: in ultra blue or teal
http://www.anntaylor.com/silk-blous...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=1246

Members don't see this ad.

After reading some more of this thread, I've decided I might need one "more conservative" outfit on standby - my current choice is a burgundy dress and black blazer with gold accessories. Would a black sheath and black blazer be too dour and colorless? My dress is the one in the pic below; wool, knee length, but it does have slight embellishment at the neck. With the jacket on, it only peeks through a little bit and looks exactly as if I were wearing a muted gold necklace. I also have the standard black skirt/black blazer with an several shells and matched jewelry, but that feels very boring to me.

img-thing
I can't speak for the others but I don't think there's anything inherently dour and drab about an all black ensemble. It's how you stylet that makes it more or less so.

Paired with some visible gold jewelry and perhaps a heel with a more pointed toe or something more stylish and it definitely works in my book.

The problem is what the candidates we see do is go for the dour and drab librarian look: hair in a bun, no make up and either no jewelry or very fussy tiny little pieces that can't be seen. They pair it with flats or matronly low pumps. I somehow suspect that won't be the case for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
I can't speak for the others but I don't think there's anything inherently dour and drab about an all black ensemble. It's how you stylet that makes it more or less so.

Paired with some visible gold jewelry and perhaps a heel with a more pointed toe or something more stylish and it definitely works in my book.

The problem is what the candidates we see do is go for the dour and drab librarian look: hair in a bun, no make up and either no jewelry or very fussy tiny little pieces that can't be seen. They pair it with flats or matronly low pumps. I somehow suspect that won't be the case for you.

Okay, I'm sort of a jewelry nut, but what's "too much" for an interview? That dress already has an embellished neckline, and I can't wear dangly earring so it'll have to be knotted studs. My watch is professional, and I always rings. That has rapidly added up to five, counting the fancy neckline, but all the other pieces are on the small but nice side.

Last edited:
Is this hairstyle appropriate?
Obviously with less flyaways...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I'm sort of a jewelry nut, but what's "too much" for an interview? That dress already has an embellished neckline, and I can't wear dangly earring so it'll have to be knotted studs. My watch is professional, but definitely on the showy side, and I always wear a gold ring on one hand and a ruby on the other. That has rapidly added up to five, counting the fancy neckline, but all the other pieces are on the small but nice side.
I'd wear the watch and earrings and leave the rings off.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! Yes! Someone finally found a suit that's appropriate, inexpensive and not boring! And one where the stylist is marketing toward business women. Buy it now -

Awesome. I'm gonna swing by Macy's on my way home from work. Do you think my oxblood bag and shoes will still go well with it? I'm thinking I'll probably put a crisp white shirt underneath and then get some real pretty gold earrings. I might even be brave enough to go get my hair cut into that gorgeous bob style that you posted a few days ago.

Okay, I'm sort of a jewelry nut, but what's "too much" for an interview? That dress already has an embellished neckline, and I can't wear dangly earring so it'll have to be knotted studs. My watch is professional, but definitely on the showy side, and I always wear a gold ring on one hand and a ruby on the other. That has rapidly added up to five, counting the fancy neckline, but all the other pieces are on the small but nice side.
Five pieces is too much IMHO (and Coco Chanel's ;) ). I'd do the earrings (knots sound perfect) and the watch. Conventional wisdom is that only wedding/engagement rings are permissible but you could trade the ring for the watch I suppose. I definitely wouldn't wear two rings or all 5 pieces.

Awesome. I'm gonna swing by Macy's on my way home from work. Do you think my oxblood bag and shoes will still go well with it? I'm thinking I'll probably put a crisp white shirt underneath and then get some real pretty gold earrings. I might even be brave enough to go get my hair cut into that gorgeous bob style that you posted a few days ago.
Sounds perfect. You might even see if you can find a small foulard or dot print in oxblood and navy for the blouse.

After reading some more of this thread, I've decided I might need one "more conservative" outfit on standby - my current choice is a burgundy dress and black blazer with gold accessories. Would a black sheath and black blazer be too dour and colorless? My dress is the one in the pic below; wool, knee length, but it does have slight embellishment at the neck. With the jacket on, it only peeks through a little bit and looks exactly as if I were wearing a muted gold necklace. I also have the standard black skirt/black blazer with an several shells and matched jewelry, but that feels very boring to me.

img-thing
I cannot recommend embellishments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this hairstyle appropriate?
Obviously with less flyaways...

I think the hairstyle is great - don't see what's 'puffy'

Only way to tell for sure on the shoes and bag is to try it. You can always switch to black or nude

Only way to tell for sure on the shoes and bag is to try it. You can always switch to black or nude

Would I have to get a nude bag to go with nude shoes? For some reason that seems off to me.

Would I have to get a nude bag to go with nude shoes? For some reason that seems off to me.

Yeah, I'm with you on that... Especially in winter in colder climates. See if your burgundy goes. Kind of hard to tell how bright the blue is from the computer pix... Black, you know will work.

It has taken me a week, but I am proud to announce that I have finally finished skim-reading this entire thread. Has anyone else noticed there is an exponential increase in posts/pages since this thread started in 2011?

Here's my first fashion question: What are we allowed to wear in terms of perfume? I have heard many opinions: wear none, wear only the remnant fumes of your shower that morning, wear a tiny bit. My current go-to perfume for interviews is Chanel Chance Eau Tendre, which is a light, sweet, and sort of soapy scent. For interviews I'll only spray it on my neck and chest. What is the norm for med school interviews?

It has taken me a week, but I am proud to announce that I have finally finished skim-reading this entire thread. Has anyone else noticed there is an exponential increase in posts/pages since this thread started in 2011?

Here's my first fashion question: What are we allowed to wear in terms of perfume? I have heard many opinions: wear none, wear only the remnant fumes of your shower that morning, wear a tiny bit. My current go-to perfume for interviews is Chanel Chance Eau Tendre, which is a light, sweet, and sort of soapy scent. For interviews I'll only spray it on my neck and chest. What is the norm for med school interviews?

None. You'll be in a medical setting where some people have extreme sensitivities to scent. You don't want them to smell you.

Fragrance is verboten in a hospital/clinical setting.
I cannot recommend it in a medical school interview.

Got it.

Second question: My feet fall out of most pumps. Are Mary-Janes okay? I have been having a hard time finding shoes that are comfy and classy. How about these Clarks? I will be wearing them with pants. http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-view-all/Rosalyn-Wren-Black-Leather/p/26110644

Would you ever wear those particular shoes again?
And does your city have a specialty shoe store for hard to fit feet? (Most do) It would be worth a trip there...

Can you post a picture of what your hair looks like? Hair accessories are totally unnecessary unless they serve a function --

My hair is similar to this picture. I figured I'd pin my side bangs so they stay in place, but I wasn't sure if I could wear a small black headband or if it would be better to not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 92
My hair is similar to this picture. I figured I'd pin my side bangs so they stay in place, but I wasn't sure if I could wear a small black headband or if it would be better to not.

I am not sure about a headband (I am sure someone will know), but I just wanted to tell you that I love this style and I SO wish I could pull it off!

I'm also an advocate for none, just the soap you bathed with. On another note, Chance Eau Tendre is my regular scent as well ;)

ETA: Oh I see others have already responded, haha. Either way, love this perfume! ^_^

Last edited:
Great find, @MiniMD ! Also, I highly recommend checking out your local thrift store for shoes. I found my heels there for $4. ;)

I'm having trouble deciding between gold or silver jewelry with my navy dress suit. Is there one that's more casual or does it not matter as long as the style of the individual pieces is appropriate?

Great find, @MiniMD ! Also, I highly recommend checking out your local thrift store for shoes. I found my heels there for $4. ;)
How do you make sure the previous owner didn't have some kind of fungus/wart/whatever that may still be in the shoes though? Am I just paranoid?

Come on, you guys. Just spray some Lysol in there like you work at a bowling alley. The shoes will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this suit too informal? I really love blue suits, but I don't know between the brighter color, the tweed, and the shawl collar if this would be okay:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/le-suit-tweed-skirt-suit?ID=2347040&CategoryID=67592&LinkType=#fn=PAGEINDEX=2&sp=2&spc=610&ruleId=&slotId=63

Yes! Yes! Someone finally found a suit that's appropriate, inexpensive and not boring! And one where the stylist is marketing toward business women. Buy it now -

I have to add that I LOVE navy suits and this one is beautiful! The texture and quality of the fabric look nice, too, which can either make or break the suit.

I'm having trouble deciding between gold or silver jewelry with my navy dress suit. Is there one that's more casual or does it not matter as long as the style of the individual pieces is appropriate?
I would go with gold. I think it just looks nicer than silver—plus, gold and navy are particularly complementary. @DokterMom, @gyngyn and @Winged Scapula probably have a better adult opinion regarding the appropriateness of particular pieces!

Umm

So here's the thing. Last week at my Duke Interview, I was the only one not wearing a black suit; I was in navy, and I felt like I stood out! I would imagine wearing forest green would make me feel like a sore thumb and subsequently affect my interview performance (confidence is key!) in addition to any biases my interviewers would have against il unique suit colors, so that'd be two things working against me right there. Of course, the choice is yours...

But, supposing you don't get an acceptance, do you really want to spend the rest of your life wondering if your suit color was the reason why you threw away thousands of dollars on an application cycle? If you're okay with that, then I guess that's your prerogative.

Can you post it slightly open with the dress underneath? For what it's worth, I'm not thinking 'too casual' but am wondering if the dress and jacket will go well together without something to bring them together -- like a scarf or distinctive piece of jewelry. But@chocoholicsoxfan has a point about confidence. If you lack that critical confidence in how you look, dressing somewhat differently from the norm can exacerbate that feeling.

A nice sheath "business" dress can be wonderful and a while back I advised a fashion savvy candidate that a deep dark true forest green could be lovely. However, I'm having trouble envisioning the color of jacket you posted looking coordinated with a grey dress, so my objections are more about it looking like an after-thought rather than the color.

Thanks for you input! Its not really a matter of confidence for me - I'm nontrad and Latina, so I will stick out no matter what I wear. I just wanted an outside opinion on the blazer, as its hard to get constructive criticism from my family and friends (eg., "you look good in everything, it will be fine!").

Unfortunately I dont have a dress for it yet - will buy it tomorrow or this weekend - but I have worn a dark grey business skirt with it before and I think it looks lovely. I can post a picture of it later if that helps.

For a scarf, would a lighter or darker pattern look better? I have one in cream, black, grey and pink that matches it, but it definitely adds lots of color. I plan on wearing black pumps and carry a matching black handbag.

I would go with gold. I think it just looks nicer than silver—plus, gold and navy are particularly complementary. @DokterMom, @gyngyn and @Winged Scapula probably have a better adult opinion regarding the appropriateness of particular pieces!

Definitely gold! Silver is acceptable, but definitely more casual.

For a scarf, would a lighter or darker pattern look better? I have one in cream, black, grey and pink that matches it, but it definitely adds lots of color. I plan on wearing black pumps and carry a matching black handbag.

Either lighter or darker could work, so long as the pattern is conservative and 'muted' -- so no neon brights, wild leopard or zebra prints. PM me?

Hey guys. It's me again. Okay so now I am trying to decide between two suits that I have. They are both dress suits. Please help me decide which one I should wear/which one is more appropriate. I appreciate the help! Interview is on Tuesday!
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443111674.149693.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1443111710.100497.jpg

I vote purple suit and black bag. That coral bag is just way too much. Definitely a casual bag, imo. It looks almost neon in your pictures.

Reactions: 5 users
Purple suit and black bag! Looks lovely.

First one with the black bag.

I love the first suit, that belt dangle is killer

I am not sure about a headband (I am sure someone will know), but I just wanted to tell you that I love this style and I SO wish I could pull it off!

Thank you :). I bet you'd look lovely with short hair! I was really worried when I was getting it cut, but it's the best haircut I've ever had!

I think I'll just use some hair colored pins to hold everything in place. It's probably better that way, even though I do love thin headbands.

I vote purple suit and black bag. That coral bag is just way too much. Definitely a casual bag, imo. It looks almost neon in your pictures.

Purple suit and black bag! Looks lovely.

Definitely the purple suit

First one with the black bag.

I love the first suit, that belt dangle is killer

Thanks everyone!! I can definitely get rid of the dangly thing on the belt, or just the belt all together. Sorry about the pictures showing up huge, I uploaded from my phone and was not expecting them to be so large!

Thanks everyone!! I can definitely get rid of the dangly thing on the belt, or just the belt all together. Sorry about the pictures showing up huge, I uploaded from my phone and was not expecting them to be so large!

I meant killer in a good way! It's like jewelry, but not.

Another question: I have a two-day interview. Is it faux pas to wear the same thing both days?

Another question: I have a two-day interview. Is it faux pas to wear the same thing both days?
For your sake, I hope not. Suits are expensive. Though I guess maybe you could buy the same blouse you already have, but in a different color? (assuming you don't have a dress suit)

I have a two-day interview coming up, and unless I can find a reasonably-priced second suit this weekend, I'll be wearing the same suit both days with different shirts each day.