Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
with a suit or did they go all out
I really need to let this one cool off a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have to search: I'm familiar with jutti and khussa.

Hard to imagine someone wearing those for a medical school interview…

I could see it if it the person was trying to bring some of their culture and personality to the interview and did a whole traditional outfit. That might be ill-advised, but I don't see how that would be as "traumatic" at what gyngyn was describing unless it was like . . . some redheaded kid from Nebraska.

I could see it if it the person was trying to bring some of their culture and personality to the interview and did a whole traditional outfit. That might be ill-advised, but I don't see how that would be as "traumatic" at what gyngyn was describing unless it was like . . . some redheaded kid from Nebraska.
A medical school interview is never a good time to come in a costume.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A medical school interview is never a good time to come in a costume.

Is it a "costume" even if it's the kind of thing you would wear to a formal event in your native culture? (Not that you should wear it to a med school interview in the states.)

Is it a "costume" even if it's the kind of thing you would wear to a formal event in your native culture? (Not that you should wear it to a med school interview in the states.)
Yes, it's a costume (in this setting).
An understanding of culture is important. That's why we spend so much time in this thread clarifying what is expected in a formal interview.

An understanding of culture is important. That's why we spend so much time in this thread clarifying what is expected in a formal interview.

Calling traditional or ceremonial dress a "costume" would get you some pissed-off glares at my school (we have a partnership with a Tribal Nation). Of course, applicants should understand that a suit is expected at a medical interview in the United States. Ethnocentric, perhaps, but expected. Knowing what is appropriate and following the rules are important parts of medicine.

I agree with you that you shouldn't wear it to a formal interview. BUT, I understand why someone would think it was okay to wear it to an interview. It's not a costume to someone who wears it seriously and formally in their native country. I guess the part that I don't understand is why you would describe it as "disturbing." I was hoping it would be a funny story, but now I'm just depressed.

Its disturbing when you have a candidate with excellent grades, excellent test scores and LORs yet is so out of touch with what is expected in a formal business interview in the US. You are faced with wondering whether they don't care, assume that they are special enough to be different, or oblivious to cultural and professional expectations in the country in which they live.

Reactions: 2 users
Its disturbing when you have a candidate with excellent grades, excellent test scores and LORs yet is so out of touch with what is expected in a formal business interview in the US. You are faced with wondering whether they don't care, assume that they are special enough to be different, or oblivious to cultural and professional expectations in the country in which they live.
do they live here? was it an international student @gyngyn? If so, he might not be used to American attire

I also don't think you get to call normal attire worn on a daily basis in other places of the world costumes

I just want to know if I can wear these shoes on White Coat Day.

In all seriousness, I read that the Mayo Clinic finally has given its female physicians permission to peel off the pantyhose. I can't get over that it took this long. There are NY law firms that have no problem with female employees' bare legs in summer. Is medicine still so conservative?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/m...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 95
do they live here? was it an international student @gyngyn? If so, he might not be used to American attire

I also don't think you get to call normal attire worn on a daily basis in other places of the world costumes
I'm not addressing the use of the word costume.

It doesn't matter whether or not its an international student, IMHO.

When I travel to foreign countries (as I do commonly), I make it my habit to study up on expected cultural norms and behavior so I can adhere to them out of respect. I expect a medical school or residency candidate to do no less.

I don't think it's something to be laughed at.

When I travel to foreign countries (as I do commonly), I make it my habit to study up on expected cultural norms and behavior so I can adhere to them out of respect. I expect a medical school or residency candidate to do no less.
sorry that was addressed to gyngyn but I don't want to continue another argument on political correctness :p
yeah, I agree that respecting the interview attire of this country is important

Members don't see this ad :)

Why is it "disturbing" though? Of course it's a mistake, but is it so bad that you'd call it "disturbing" and bring it up here for us all to laugh at?

Who's laughing?

Well, I'm not laughing now. There was a reason why we were all excited to hear this story, wasn't there? There was an expectation that it would be amusing, right?

Why is it "disturbing" though? Of course it's a mistake, but is it so bad that you'd call it "disturbing" and bring it up here for us all to laugh at?
Its disturbing for the reasons we've listed above: medical school admissions aren't just about your grades and test scores. Its about selecting future physicians, future colleagues, people who will take care of us and our families when we're older.

Thus I find it terribly disturbing (or upsetting if that term is more appealing to you), that someone can work so hard to get to the position of being able to apply for medical school yet be so out of touch with professional expectations in the US. I am also disturbed by the recent thread about how to address a thank you letter and I'm disturbed by a friend's college age daughter that didn't know how to write a check.

Well, I'm not laughing now. There was a reason why we were all excited to hear this story, wasn't there? There was an expectation that it would be amusing, right?

Perhaps that's what you were expecting; you're making assumptions about the rest of us.

Last edited:
Perhaps that's what you were expecting; you're making assumptions about the rest of us.

I was expecting something to be bothered by.

I don't even think it's something to be bothered by. It's not that horrible! It's just a cultural mistake.

I just want to know if I can wear these shoes on White Coat Day.

Those are fabulous but more appropriate for an evening event (given the satin). ;)

In all seriousness, I read that the Mayo Clinic finally has given its female physicians permission to peel off the pantyhose. I can't get over that it took this long. There are NY law firms that have no problem with female employees' bare legs in summer. Is medicine still so conservative?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/m...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Yes, medicine is still that conservative, at least at Mayo. As I've mentioned before, I don't routinely wear hose in the office but keep a pair in my desk drawer for when I give lectures or go to conferences there.

I don't even think it's something to be bothered by. It's not that horrible! It's just a cultural mistake.
You can choose to feel however you like; I'll ask that you not tell others how they should feel.

I find it a significant problem that we have bright individuals who make these mistakes.

Is it the worst problem ever? Of course not. The point is that there are expectations for every profession and it behooves every candidate, whether you are interviewing for a medical school or residency position or one as a teacher or postal worker, to know what those are. I agree that if the candidate were an international student its a more forgivable mistake than if an American student, but we don't know that and I still believe that both should have done some research on what is expected.

I think we are all in agreement here and just arguing over word choice. yeah it's a mistake but I'm sure it's not something you see on a regular basis at interviews, so it would stand out/people would understandably share with others as gyngyn did. There are 83 freaking pages in this thread for a reason--attire is a critical part of interviews

:shrug: I would just never in a million years call it "disturbing."

:shrug: I would just never in a million years call it "disturbing."

Now you're just quibbling over semantics. It seems you were the first to characterize the situation as "disturbing" in above posts. Also, "costume" is not an inappropriate description. A costume describes outfits native to a culture or country, which is what this is. The term doesn't disparage the young man in any way. Unfortunately, his attire was distracting and doesn't adhere to professional standards in the U.S. I'm also rather certain that such attire—in its indigenous setting—is reserved for special celebrations and occasions and is still not worn to the office or hospital.

Reactions: 3 users
Now you're just quibbling over semantics. It seems you were the first to characterize the situation as "disturbing" in above posts. Also, "costume" is not an inappropriate description. A costume describes outfits native to a culture or country, which is what this is. The term doesn't disparage the young man in any way. Unfortunately, his attire was distracting and doesn't adhere to professional standards in the U.S. I'm also rather certain that such attire—in its indigenous setting—is reserved for special celebrations and occasions and is still not worn to the office or hospital.

I'm "quibbling" over semantics because the word choice is exactly what bothers me in this situation. This whole thing originated with this post:

In case I have not previously mentioned it, neoprene dresses are not considered appropriate interview attire.
Threader (?) earrings that are dangling to the shoulder are also distracting and not a good choice.
That's it for this week! It was mostly the men that arrived in disturbing choices.

Calling someone's native cultural outfit a "disturbing choice" leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Of course, he should have worn a western suit like everyone else. But I do think it is disparaging to call it "disturbing." That's all I'm going to say about this matter.

I'm "quibbling" over semantics because the word choice is exactly what bothers me in this situation. This whole thing originated with this post:

Calling someone's native cultural outfit a "disturbing choice" leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Of course, he should have worn a western suit like everyone else. But I do think it is disparaging to call it "disturbing." That's all I'm going to say about this matter.
Thank goodness, so we don't have to argue about it anymore.

I blame myself. :(

Also, while we're on topic, would any of you be able to tell me if it's abnormal to be unable to sharpen an eye pencil without losing a good centimeter to broken chunks? Is this the business model? or am I just delayed?

Advice needed!

Reactions: 1 users

Also, while we're on topic, would any of you be able to tell me if it's abnormal to be unable to sharpen an eye pencil without losing a good centimeter to broken chunks? Is this the business model? or am I just delayed?

Advice needed!
lol I thought I was the only one.

also... is it too early to start planning white coat ceremony outfit. I approve of the shoes posted above

Advice needed!

OMG I have never been able to figure that out. I cannot Woman correctly.

Reactions: 4 users

Advice needed!
Light touch on the pencil, my child. Do not jam it into the sharpener like it's a number 2 and you are filling in the bubbles on your SAT. Even strokes as you lovingly rotate the barrel of the eye pencil with the fingers of your dominant hand. If you feel resistance from the blade of the sharpener, ur doin it rong!

Reactions: 4 users
Given that they've made the colossal mistake of offering me that scholarship and I am now basically a KEPT WOMAN, my current planned make-up look for the day is:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1446397033.783730.jpg

No takebacksies.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd be disappointed if your look was anything else.
Just gotta get my eye pencil sharpening game strong and I'm set!

That was a true poem of an explanation, btw. I read it twice and enjoyed it viscerally.

Freezing the pencils can make them easier to sharpen if they're especially soft.

Yes! I use this trick for mine. I use the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, which are a bit on the soft side, great for blending, not so much for sharpening.

I love the Lancôme waterproof pencil liner with the smudger.

Lasts forever. It's not cheap but it's worth it

Drugstore alternative- loreal

But a tight line of black liquid liner close to the lashes with a single neutral/skin colored shadow and well groomed and shaped brows and mascaraed lashes that are combed through and unclumpy and curled to make you look more awake + a good undereye concealer job set with finishing powder is still my recommendation for interviews

Edit: use pencil if liquid isn't your thing.

A few questions:

1. Is this bag ok? I already own it and it's a little more slouchy/less structured than in the picture. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kate-sp...illa-leather-tote-nordstrom-exclusive/3692844

2. Are these heels ok (I bought the black patent ones)? They are surprisingly comfortable and easy to walk in. I've seen some posts earlier in this thread that say no patent leather. I thought they were appropriate but I'd love a final answer: http://www.aerosoles.com/store/jump/product/Red-Hot-Slip-On-Pump/RED-HOT

3. I'll be wearing a black pantsuit with a light purple button down top. Should I wear black or nude pantyhose with black shoes (I'll be getting the sock type pantyhose, not full ones)?

Thanks!

Help! So I tried on my only suit and....it's a bit snug...in the skirt. It really accentuates my..derrière.
What should I do? I can't buy a new skirt because it would be mismatched. Do I buy a whole new suit or go for a run? lol

It's less noticeable when wearing the jacket since it's partially covered. So as long as I'm wearing the suit jacket then it should be fine...right?

Help! So I tried on my only suit and....it's a bit snug...in the skirt. It really accentuates my..derrière.
What should I do? I can't buy a new skirt because it would be mismatched. Do I buy a whole new suit or go for a run? lol

It's less noticeable when wearing the jacket since it's partially covered. So as long as I'm wearing the suit jacket then it should be fine...right?

Is there enough seam allowance in the skirt to take it to a tailor and have them let it out a little?

Is there enough seam allowance in the skirt to take it to a tailor and have them let it out a little?
no. just checked. I tried it on again, and it feels better than a month ago. Was trying to take pics to post but it's hard to get a good shot lol. Oh well, gives me a reason to go shopping. ;)