Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought of you all this week when I got my shirt back from the tailor and they had only shortened one sleeve.
Omg.

Over the years I've learned the importance of trying on your garment before you leave.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Omg.

Over the years I've learned the importance of trying on your garment before you leave.

Yup! I was like "How are they gonna mess up this shirt? I'm sure it's fine." FAMOUS LAST WORDS. I didn't put the shirt on until the morning of my interview and the left sleeve was hanging out of my suit jacket about an extra 1.5". Entirely my own fault for not trying it on in the shop when I tried on the jacket.

Right, it's not frizzy when I do that, but it just looks messy like I didn't brush it (because I didn't). The bottom gets those perfect, natural curls I want but above my ears it looks like Medusa...it's so bad I can't wear it like that to work, nevermind an interview. I just need a way to make the top look brushed without the bottom frizzing out, and that's what seems to be impossible.

Owner of unruly hair here (it's been described as "beautiful" or "wild", but not much else, which-as you might guess-is a bit disconcerting). To keep the waves and lose the frizz (without going flat), I use a touch of macadamia nut oil on damp hair and brush through. Air dry, usually in a wrapped bun (too lazy to do anything else). I don't typically bother brushing it after that. It's the only way my hair is even moderately respectable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Owner of unruly hair here (it's been described as "beautiful" or "wild", but not much else, which-as you might guess-is a bit disconcerting). To keep the waves and lose the frizz (without going flat), I use a touch of macadamia nut oil on damp hair and brush through. Air dry, usually in a wrapped bun (too lazy to do anything else). I don't typically bother brushing it after that. It's the only way my hair is even moderately respectable.
I have frizzy hair as well and use a little oil to tame the craziness. Have to be careful with any oil though, a little goes a long way, else it looks too oily for me. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, is this bag professional enough for an interview? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm a bit of a tomboy and don't know the first thing about purses.

Also, why are more than half of women's blouses see-through??! :wtf:

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 107
Hey guys, long time lurker, I've read every post from 2015 (I don't think I can do all 85 pages). Does this suit look formal enough?

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRD~C2191/C2191.jsp
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRDOVR~E0544/E0544.jsp

In the heather flannel? I was thinking like a jade/emerald/dark greeny-teal-color-family shell? Looking at ebay pictures on real people it looks to be a medium to dark gray. Is one button a no go? Also if the pants are unlined I should wear pantyhose under right?

I've been looking for a charcoal suit but I'm 5'10" with linebacker shoulders and it's not looking like I can buy a suit in stores regardless of color. My skin tone looks a lot better in gray than black, but there don't appear to be any wool charcoal women's suits with tall sizing within my budget. Unless somebody knows of any? I already tried pendletons but they only have hip/waist/bust measurements online and when I called and asked about shoulder and inseam they were really confused what I even wanted to know. Also they're pretty expensive. I know I'm overthinking but if imma spend this much on fanciness I want it to look good.
Huge J Crew shopper here-I have several J Crew suits (I had a job that requires a suit most days). I wore one that was even lighter than heather grey to some hot weather interviews and got accepted. Heather grey itself seems pretty medium and totally acceptable to me. Only thing I would caution you on is if your shoulders are so broad maybe you want a less narrow style for the jacket? I'm not sure how to explain--their sizing is definitely unreliable and variable and a more feminine, fitted-cut jacket might also run small.

A tip from my most recent interview: if you need to change for a long drive home, perhaps find a bathroom to change into your sweats that isn't on the same floor as the admissions office :bored:

Reactions: 5 users
A tip from my most recent interview: if you need to change for a long drive home, perhaps find a bathroom to change into your sweats that isn't on the same floor as the admissions office :bored:
All of the admissions offices I've talked to have directed me to the one near them and said it was no issue whatsoever, fwiw!

All of the admissions offices I've talked to have directed me to the one near them and said it was no issue whatsoever, fwiw!
Oh good to know, the one girl I saw do this definitely got some strange looks from people. BUT if you're going straight to the airport I can def. understand not wanting to go in a full suit in heels :p

Oh good to know, the one girl I saw do this definitely got some strange looks from people. BUT if you're going straight to the airport I can def. understand not wanting to go in a full suit in heels :p

Was it me? Because I did exactly that and the admissions staff and I had a good laugh about it.

I changed in the airport bathroom.

I've changed near admissions, twice, and then waited in my street clothes in the lobby for other interviewees to change/finish interviewing so that we could split cab fare to the airport. The only comments I ever got from admissions about it were "if you need to change before you leave, the bathrooms are over there" and "don't worry; nobody is going to judge you on your airport outfit".

Members don't see this ad :)
usually changed near the admissions office as well

Last edited:
Devil's advocate here:

for those of you that check luggage (i.e., your suit, etc), there is a chance that the airline will lose/misplace/delay the arrival of your luggage. While I'm not recommending you wear your suit on the plane, you should wear something moderately presentable (i.e., not sweats) so if you have to interview in your flight clothes, you won't be embarrassed. Better yet, carry your suit/blouse/shoes etc. on the plane.

Reactions: 2 users
Devil's advocate here:

for those of you that check luggage (i.e., your suit, etc), there is a chance that the airline will lose/misplace/delay the arrival of your luggage. While I'm not recommending you wear your suit on the plane, you should wear something moderately presentable (i.e., not sweats) so if you have to interview in your flight clothes, you won't be embarrassed. Better yet, carry your suit/blouse/shoes etc. on the plane.
AND when you take your clothes on the plane, watch the garment bag closely! On my last flight, I kid you not, a man next to me had the exact same garment bag. We almost exchanged bags. Would have been a disaster!

Reactions: 4 users
I've always rolled my suit into my carry-on, and have tried to hang it up ASAP. So far, no egregious wrinkles or creases, and very convenient.

I have an interview coming up where the invite has written "Be prepared to do a lot of walking. Wear comfortable walking shoes."

A recent interviewer also commented that at his interview his phone recorded him walking over 5 miles....

What do I do since my suit is tailored for heels? I don't want my pants dragging to ground with flats, but I also doubt I can walk that far in heels.

Any suggestions?

Is this shirt color okay? Not too bold? I'm wearing a black pant suit. I'm interviewing at a conservative school...and I'm from California so we are pretty casual here. any tips?

goods_76_146243
Its fine.

Tips Don't button it all the way up, don't push up the sleeves and no sweatshirt around your waist.

I have an interview coming up where the invite has written "Be prepared to do a lot of walking. Wear comfortable walking shoes."

A recent interviewer also commented that at his interview his phone recorded him walking over 5 miles....

What do I do since my suit is tailored for heels? I don't want my pants dragging to ground with flats, but I also doubt I can walk that far in heels.

Any suggestions?
You can try a chunkier heel or switch out your interview shoe for something that isn't quite flat but is made for walking longer distances.

Only a man would design a breast pocket -- What woman would put something there?

How to describe it? There are so many Shades of Grey... :smack:
OK - If it's light enough to be nail polish, it's too light. If it's dark enough to be eyeliner, it's fine.
If it's light enough that you could wear it in the summer, it's too light.
OK - using SDN's formatting bar -- On the underlined A above, the first grey is too light. The second is OK. Third is really charcoal.

@DokterMom Is this grey suit too light?

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Im not DM but I'll respond.

Yes. too light.
Not DM either but I'll disagree.

It's too light for winter in the Midwest and Northeast but it would be fine in the warmer climes of the south, Southwest and southern West Coast.

I'd recommend considering a blouse with more color and making sure your shoes are darker than the suit.

@wingedscapula - are nude pumps generally frowned upon (since they are obviously lighter than all suits)? Not in the winter obviously but in summer/spring? I dress very conservatively for work and nude pumps are totally fine, even for important meetings, so how about for med school interviews? I don't like black pumps and don't even think I own a pair.

@wingedscapula - are nude pumps generally frowned upon (since they are obviously lighter than all suits)? Not in the winter obviously but in summer/spring? I dress very conservatively for work and nude pumps are totally fine, even for important meetings, so how about for med school interviews? I don't like black pumps and don't even think I own a pair.
I personally think they're fine as long as they really are nude and not lighter than your skin color.

You don't need to necessarily wear black shoes with a gray suit; a nice dark gray shoe can be very flattering or of course my classic recommendation is the Cordovan or Merlot which I think looks wonderful with gray.

I personally think they're fine as long as they really are nude and not lighter than your skin color.

You don't need to necessarily wear black shoes with a gray suit; a nice dark gray shoe can be very flattering or of course my classic recommendation is the Cordovan or Merlot which I think looks wonderful with gray.

Thanks! My purse is actually merlot so it would be a bit too matchy to wear merlot shoes.

I'm thinking for summer/fall interviews, I'll wear nude pumps (definitely darker than my skin, I'm pretty pale), charcoal skirt suit, cream shell, and merlot purse. For winter interviews, I'll switch to a black sheath dress suit so as to match my black boots. Again, with a merlot purse to add a pop of color. Can you tell I love this purse, lol!

Thanks! My purse is actually merlot so it would be a bit too matchy to wear merlot shoes.

I'm thinking for summer/fall interviews, I'll wear nude pumps (definitely darker than my skin, I'm pretty pale), charcoal skirt suit, cream shell, and merlot purse. For winter interviews, I'll switch to a black sheath dress suit so as to match my black boots. Again, with a merlot purse to add a pop of color. Can you tell I love this purse, lol!
It wouldn't be too matchy!

@Winged Scapula nailed it -- For winter in the Northeast or Midwest, yes. For the South or west, no. I'd call it a 55 degree and above suit ;)

Also agree with the 'nude' shoes being fine so long as they truly are 'nude' and not 'ivory'. Grey leather can be difficult because many less-expensive greys look 'painted' and cheap; and the more expensive analine-dyed leathers have different undertones, which like navy shoes, may not match well.

As to merlot and merlot -- 'matchy matchy' is not a problem.

I find that this is a generational thing; most of us who came of age before the millennium were raised that your shoes, purse and belt should match (as should your pedicure and manicure). So there is nothing wrong with being "matchy matchy", as a matter of fact, it is considered more formal, more professional and therefore, preferable.

BOOTS?

Please no.

I find that this is a generational thing; most of us who came of age before the millennium were raised that your shoes, purse and belt should match (as should your pedicure and manicure). So there is nothing wrong with being "matchy matchy", as a matter of fact, it is considered more formal, more professional and therefore, preferable.

BOOTS?

Please no.

Interesting, I normally wouldn't match my shoes to my purse, I guess it really is a generational thing!

Boots are really such a big no? I mean, like the tall, classy, professional ones that I wear to work? So what should I wear if it's snowing?

Boots are really such a big no? I mean, like the tall, classy, professional ones that I wear to work? So what should I wear if it's snowing?
Change your shoes when you get in!

I had an interview yesterday and have to give a big shout out to all you ladies. It's amazing how much a professional appearance can boost your confidence! I haven't worn hose since I was child, but after seeing how some other interviewers were dressed for the club, you best believe I worked my hose. Thanks for your wonderful direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully you savvy folks can help me out with shoe sizing. I picked up some basic black pumps for upcoming job interviews and next year's application cycle.

I'm a size 8 in flats for this brand. The 8's fit perfectly in the toes but are loose in the back: I can squeeze one finger in and if I try, I can make them come off while walking. The 7.5's are great in the back but very snug in the toes...I'm not sure if I'd be able to last an active day in them.

Advice? Would inserts in the back fill in enough space? I'm gun shy because I thought I could swing the tightness in a previous pair of heels, but I really can't. Attaching some photos, though you can't see too well (sorry!).

Attachments

• 20151127_130300.jpg
    20151127_130300.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20151127_131050.jpg
    20151127_131050.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 138
Hopefully you savvy folks can help me out with shoe sizing. I picked up some basic black pumps for upcoming job interviews and next year's application cycle.

I'm a size 8 in flats for this brand. The 8's fit perfectly in the toes but are loose in the back: I can squeeze one finger in and if I try, I can make them come off while walking. The 7.5's are great in the back but very snug in the toes...I'm not sure if I'd be able to last an active day in them.

Advice? Would inserts in the back fill in enough space? I'm gun shy because I thought I could swing the tightness in a previous pair of heels, but I really can't. Attaching some photos, though you can't see too well (sorry!).

Maybe you need a 7.5 wide?

Inserts look like they might help. I've done this before with a pair of heels that were a bit loose in the back (maybe a little less than a half size too big), and they ended up fitting perfectly.

Former "Salon Shoes" Salesperson here: So, typically you size shoes for the length of the last (the shoe) and not the width, as leather can stretch to accommodate width, but nothing is going to make the shoe longer. That said, looking at the pics, the size 8 looks like it fits better. Why do I say this: there's a little gap in the heel, and your feet will swell as you walk around all day. I'd suggest you put an insert near the ball of your foot (or wherever is comfortable for you, though traditionally the ball of the foot experiences the most pressure), which will snug the toe compartment a bit but also stop the shoe from slipping.

Ultimately, it's about how you feel most comfortable. One final recommendation: definitely test the sizing as you'd wear it (as in, if you're going to wear the shoe with hose, then try it on with hose, as it feels quite different than barefoot). One more thing: you can also get it in both sizes, spend some time walking around your apartment in them, and it should become apparent (within 30 minutes) which is a better fit.

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting, I normally wouldn't match my shoes to my purse, I guess it really is a generational thing!

Like @gyngyn notes, they are a big "no". I'm sure the ones you wear are lovely but they are not considered professional or formal enough for this event.

If you want to wear them in the snow, then change when you get inside.

Last edited:
I've changed near admissions, twice, and then waited in my street clothes in the lobby for other interviewees to change/finish interviewing so that we could split cab fare to the airport. The only comments I ever got from admissions about it were "if you need to change before you leave, the bathrooms are over there" and "don't worry; nobody is going to judge you on your airport outfit".
Flying red eye to an interview is always a stress fest. :(

Saw a gorgeous deep plum suit at the mall today. I wouldn't have the guts to wear it to an interview, but perhaps for work...wonder what color shoes would match ;)

Saw a gorgeous deep plum suit at the mall today. I wouldn't have the guts to wear it to an interview, but perhaps for work...wonder what color shoes would match ;)
Seriously. Just ordered myself a bright blue fake fur jacket that no, I will never wear to an interview, but I am psyched to wear it when it arrives!

I'd probably lean toward a compatible merlot or chocolate brown -- And I wouldn't necessarily rule it out for interviewing, assuming the cut is appropriate and you can wear it with confidence.

I realize these questions have probably been answered in the previous 85 pages of this thread, but I don't have the time to scroll and read through it all. I just got an II for one of my dream schools, which is in one of the coldest states in the nation, and I have a few questions that I need advice on:

1) I will be wearing a black pantsuit, but will a long black wool coat over it suffice in, say, 10 degree weather? I plan on buying some cold weather clothing for my trip soon and need advice on how to dress.

2) I know boots don't exactly look great with a business professional outfit, but would it be okay if I wear boots to the interview and change into my heels when I get in the building? Also, would it be appropriate to take a moment to change into the boots again if they take me on a tour of the school if there's snow outside? I don't think heels and snow/ice go well together :/

3) If I plan on heading to the airport right after my interview, could I bring my luggage (1 carry on and a backpack) and leave it at the admissions office or someplace for the day and pick it up before I head out? I don't see the point of paying for an extra day at the hotel just to keep my stuff there for a few hours. If so, could I change into more comfortable clothes (like jeans and a sweatshirt - nothing that screams lazy/unprofessional) before heading to the airport without being judged for it?

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge on cold weather fashion; I'm a native Floridian and have no idea what to expect of such cold weather :unsure::whistle: