Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just go with pan suits!!

Members don't see this ad.

I realize these questions have probably been answered in the previous 85 pages of this thread, but I don't have the time to scroll and read through it all. I just got an II for one of my dream schools, which is in one of the coldest states in the nation, and I have a few questions that I need advice on:

1) I will be wearing a black pantsuit, but will a long black wool coat over it suffice in, say, 10 degree weather? I plan on buying some cold weather clothing for my trip soon and need advice on how to dress.

2) I know boots don't exactly look great with a business professional outfit, but would it be okay if I wear boots to the interview and change into my heels when I get in the building? Also, would it be appropriate to take a moment to change into the boots again if they take me on a tour of the school if there's snow outside? I don't think heels and snow/ice go well together :/

3) If I plan on heading to the airport right after my interview, could I bring my luggage (1 carry on and a backpack) and leave it at the admissions office or someplace for the day and pick it up before I head out? I don't see the point of paying for an extra day at the hotel just to keep my stuff there for a few hours. If so, could I change into more comfortable clothes (like jeans and a sweatshirt - nothing that screams lazy/unprofessional) before heading to the airport without being judged for it?

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge on cold weather fashion; I'm a native Floridian and have no idea what to expect of such cold weather :unsure::whistle:
Congrats on your II!!

1) Definitely go with the long, black, wool coat. It should be warm enough—even if you're a bit cold, I'd tough it out and skip a puffy coat. You'll be inside most of the day anyways. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some nice gloves. Even faux leather ones would look very nice! Don't mess up your hair with a hat. Unless it really is -10. Then get a hat.

2) Yes, change into your shoes when you get into the building. Though don't do it at the admissions office when you check in lol. I think it's okay to change your shoes for a tour—honestly, it's the med students who usually give the tours and they're only concerned about being helpful to you. Also, you'll find that cold-weather institutions are incredible about clearing snow from sidewalks. I've even seen places with heated sidewalks that prevent snow from accumulating. And it's too cold for puddles, so standing water won't be a problem. So you could perhaps wear your heels.

3) Def bring your luggage. They always have a place to store it, and many other interviewees will need to do the same as well! You can definitely change at the interview location, but I would walk to a different area of the hospital away from admissions. And maybe even change at the airport before checking in. If you can bear it, you could even wear your nice clothes on the plane. People will wonder why you look so nice. And you can take great satisfaction in that ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I realize these questions have probably been answered in the previous 85 pages of this thread, but I don't have the time to scroll and read through it all. I just got an II for one of my dream schools, which is in one of the coldest states in the nation, and I have a few questions that I need advice on:

1) I will be wearing a black pantsuit, but will a long black wool coat over it suffice in, say, 10 degree weather? I plan on buying some cold weather clothing for my trip soon and need advice on how to dress.

2) I know boots don't exactly look great with a business professional outfit, but would it be okay if I wear boots to the interview and change into my heels when I get in the building? Also, would it be appropriate to take a moment to change into the boots again if they take me on a tour of the school if there's snow outside? I don't think heels and snow/ice go well together :/

3) If I plan on heading to the airport right after my interview, could I bring my luggage (1 carry on and a backpack) and leave it at the admissions office or someplace for the day and pick it up before I head out? I don't see the point of paying for an extra day at the hotel just to keep my stuff there for a few hours. If so, could I change into more comfortable clothes (like jeans and a sweatshirt - nothing that screams lazy/unprofessional) before heading to the airport without being judged for it?

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge on cold weather fashion; I'm a native Floridian and have no idea what to expect of such cold weather :unsure::whistle:

I can't answer 1 and 2, but for 3, admissions offices will allow you to store your luggage there during your interview. Based on previous responses in this thread, generally people at the school will not care if you have to go to the bathroom and change out of your suit into casual clothes before heading to the airport. They understand interviewee struggles. :) You can always change at the airport if you're really concerned, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar question has probably already been answered but I just bought this dress on sale and am loving it:
http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1006151&vid=3&pid=567620013 If I add a fitted blazer, would it work for interviews or should I just stick with the classic pantsuit & dress-shirt? Mostly just worried about the neckline not being "conservative" enough and the skirt accentuating my wide-ish hips.

Thanks for your help, ladies!

Similar question has probably already been answered but I just bought this dress on sale and am loving it:
http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1006151&vid=3&pid=567620013 If I add a fitted blazer, would it work for interviews or should I just stick with the classic pantsuit & dress-shirt? Mostly just worried about the neckline not being "conservative" enough and the skirt accentuating my wide-ish hips.

Thanks for your help, ladies!

You might be shaped differently than me, but I've walked into BR and tried this dress on in at least half a dozen variations. In all, the dress looked too "clubby" and tight. I wouldn't recommend it, and I'm usually the ardent proponent of the dress/blazer combo around here.

Hey guys, long time lurker (thanks for the tips!). I need your help! :)

1) I was wondering what y'all thought about a black jumpsuit with a gray blazer/suit jacket. The jumpsuit is wide legged and basically looks like black dress pants and black top with the gray jacket on top. I've worn this to other professional settings buuuuuuuuuuut ofc I dont wanna risk anything with the interview. What do yall think???????

2) Switch out the gray blazer with a maroon/dark plum? An entire maroon pant/skirtsuit would be too much for me personally but with the black jumpsuit maybe?

1) I was wondering what y'all thought about a black jumpsuit with a gray blazer/suit jacket. The jumpsuit is wide legged and basically looks like black dress pants and black top with the gray jacket on top. I've worn this to other professional settings buuuuuuuuuuut ofc I dont wanna risk anything with the interview. What do yall think???????

2) Switch out the gray blazer with a maroon/dark plum? An entire maroon pant/skirtsuit would be too much for me personally but with the black jumpsuit maybe?
No.

Reactions: 3 users

Not right for this -- Jumpsuits tend to be 'sexy' which is a look you want to avoid. Toning it down with a non-matching jacket makes it sexy and casual. An entire maroon suit on the other hand, would probably not be inappropriate, and would make you stand out from the crowd. Appropriateness of maroon suit would depend on cut, styling and fabric, but if it's a business suit versus a fashion suit, I'd suggest that instead.

Not right for this -- Jumpsuits tend to be 'sexy' which is a look you want to avoid. Toning it down with a non-matching jacket makes it sexy and casual. An entire maroon suit on the other hand, would probably not be inappropriate, and would make you stand out from the crowd. Appropriateness of maroon suit would depend on cut, styling and fabric, but if it's a business suit versus a fashion suit, I'd suggest that instead.
gotchu. Thanks!!! :)

This is a great thread! I have two interviews this month with temperatures predicted to be in the 10-15 degree range. I have been wearing a skirt suit for my other interviews, with great success, but obviously that will be less practical in the cold weather. I am freaking out a little about what to do. I do not own a plain black pantsuit. I am not really in a great financial position to buy a new suit right now, but I'll bite the bullet if it is absolutely necessary. My current options include: wearing the black blazer of the skirtsuit with an unmatched pair of black pants, but it seems to look a little sloppy with the cotton/wool mismatch; a navy blue pantsuit, but it is a lot more "fashion forward" than the plain suits normally seen on medical students(not slutty, just more trendy, such oversized cuts with narrow lapels, and fancier silk blend); or a tan blazer with a slightly darker pair of pants. Could I also wear different colors on the top and bottom? Such as, is it appropriate to wear a navy blazer with tan pants, or a black blazer with grey pants? Any tips on this? Thank yoU!

This is a great thread! I have two interviews this month with temperatures predicted to be in the 10-15 degree range. I have been wearing a skirt suit for my other interviews, with great success, but obviously that will be less practical in the cold weather. I am freaking out a little about what to do. I do not own a plain black pantsuit. I am not really in a great financial position to buy a new suit right now, but I'll bite the bullet if it is absolutely necessary. My current options include: wearing the black blazer of the skirtsuit with an unmatched pair of black pants, but it seems to look a little sloppy with the cotton/wool mismatch; a navy blue pantsuit, but it is a lot more "fashion forward" than the plain suits normally seen on medical students(not slutty, just more trendy, such oversized cuts with narrow lapels, and fancier silk blend); or a tan blazer with a slightly darker pair of pants. Could I also wear different colors on the top and bottom? Such as, is it appropriate to wear a navy blazer with tan pants, or a black blazer with grey pants? Any tips on this? Thank yoU!
A suit (even a "plain" one) is always preferable to a mismatch of color or fabric.

A suit (even a "plain" one) is always preferable to a mismatch of color or fabric.

So then would you suggest I purchase a new suit? My only options I own right now are a potentially overly fashionable matching suit, or a blazer with pants in the same color but different fabrics (wool vs silk or cotton)

So then would you suggest I purchase a new suit? My only options I own right now are a potentially overly fashionable matching suit, or a blazer with pants in the same color but different fabrics (wool vs silk or cotton)
I cannot recommend a blazer for a high stakes interview (for a man or woman).
Depending on how fashionable the suit is, a purchase may be indicated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have (or can you borrow) a long coat? What about boots and/or leg warmers? If so, you can wear the skirt suit.

If not, then yeah - maybe buying a pantsuit would be the way to go. Though that still leaves the coat dilemma.

So, just to check again, a knee-length, wool, camel coat would go well with a navy pantsuit?

I'm just a student, but I'm way old and worked in a profession that required a suit for many years. I think it really depends on what your matching suit looks like. My sense is that while the general advice given here is useful for the vast majority of readers, one probably doesn't always have to be *quite* as conservative as this thread demands. It depends on whether something truly flatters you, whether it's merely a departure from the standard regalia (maybe okay) versus being "sexy" or teenagerish (NOT OKAY), and other aspects of your appearance ... e.g. if your hairstyle is unusual maybe it's more important that your clothes stay super-conservative; if you have darker skin maybe you can wear a brighter blouse than a pale-skinned woman, etc. Can you post a pic of the suit?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just a student, but I'm way old and worked in a profession that required a suit for many years. I think it really depends on what your matching suit looks like. My sense is that while the general advice given here is useful for the vast majority of readers, one probably doesn't always have to be *quite* as conservative as this thread demands. It depends on whether something truly flatters you, whether it's merely a departure from the standard regalia (maybe okay) versus being "sexy" or teenagerish (NOT OKAY), and other aspects of your appearance ... e.g. if your hairstyle is unusual maybe it's more important that your clothes stay super-conservative; if you have darker skin maybe you can wear a brighter blouse than a pale-skinned woman, etc. Can you post a pic of the suit?

Good point -- AND age. Bumblebee has posted previously that she's a bit older, which means looking immature is probably not something she needs to worry about, and that appearing 'fashionable' to a certain degree would be, for her, a plus.

As we ponder the ways to work or augment a wardrobe for the best result, let us take a moment to remember some of the real dressing malfunctions that have already happened this winter: a dangerously loose cowl neck that dropped so low that by noon at least one entire breast was intermittently exposed, a thin marled (or it could have been cat hairs...) sweater in lieu of a jacket, yet another ivory polyester see-through v-neck tank with huge armholes permitting a complete view of the bra from the side as well as center-front (no jacket, of course), visible midriff and lace tights. I've given up on footwear!

Reactions: 6 users
As we ponder the ways to work or augment a wardrobe for the best result, let us take a moment to remember some of the real dressing malfunctions that have already happened this winter: a dangerously loose cowl neck that dropped so low that by noon at least one entire breast was intermittently exposed, a thin marled (or it could have been cat hairs...) sweater in lieu of a jacket, yet another ivory polyester see-through v-neck tank with huge armholes permitting a complete view of the bra from the side as well as center-front (no jacket, of course), visible midriff and lace tights. I've given up on footwear!

Oh god.

This is nowhere near as bad, but at one of my interviews I saw a girl in a bright blue skirt suit with black tights and heavy makeup. I felt for her, though, because she looked extremely nervous all day. Like a little mouse.

Oh god.

This is nowhere near as bad, but at one of my interviews I saw a girl in a bright blue skirt suit with black tights and heavy makeup. I felt for her, though, because she looked extremely nervous all day. Like a little mouse.
Poor thing.
Diaphanous blouse was nervous, too: constantly tugging and rearranging.
Cowl neck was blissfully oblivious!

What should I look for in a blouse for under a suit? If it is a single color, is a bit of texture or pattern okay or should it generally be uniform?

What should I look for in a blouse for under a suit? If it is a single color, is a bit of texture or pattern okay or should it generally be uniform?
A shell in a flattering color with a rich texture (the consistency of 28 momme silk).
Avoid button fronts.

Are pointed-toe heels considered too edgy/unprofessional?

Are pointed-toe heels considered too edgy/unprofessional?

I don't think so, I mean unless you are talking about a super high spiky stiletto. A pointed to can be very elegant, the shape itself lengthens the leg. A "short" pointed toe has been very in vogue lately. While a long pointed toe can look it belongs in the 80s.

Long pointed toe:
0231_paoloshoes_april2011_3761.png

Short, more appropriate pointed toe:
ivanka-trump-natalie-high-heels-black-suede-original-192007.jpg

If wearing a navy suit with burgundy/cordovan shoes and bag, what is a "non-boring" shell color that you would recommend?

Hey there everyone! My first post here. I'm a South Floridian girl and have lived there all my life, so I know absolutely nothing about the cold. I've never traveled up north either. To give you an idea of my cold tolerance, 50 degrees in FL is pretty dang cold for me and makes me shiver.

I have an II to a med school in Missouri for mid February and was wondering what I should do in terms of my interview attire to adapt to the cold weather there? I always wear a pant suit, but I'm not sure what to do in this case because it'll be my first interview up north (relative to Florida). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Hey there everyone! My first post here. I'm a South Floridian girl and have lived there all my life, so I know absolutely nothing about the cold. I've never traveled up north either. To give you an idea of my cold tolerance, 50 degrees in FL is pretty dang cold for me and makes me shiver.

I have an II to a med school in Missouri for mid February and was wondering what I should do in terms of my interview attire to adapt to the cold weather there? I always wear a pant suit, but I'm not sure what to do in this case because it'll be my first interview up north (relative to Florida). Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
I'll bite ... I grew up in FL but have lived most of my adult life in fairly cold places. I still hate winter and get cold really easily. I think you're off to a good start with the pantsuit but remember you need (1) heavy wool overcoat, (2) gloves or mittens, (3) scarf), (4) socks and boots, and MAYBE (5) long underwear and/or (6) hat. People are going to laugh and holler at me for those last two, and I'd skip the hat because I wouldn't want to mess up my hair on interview day, but I love scarves. A good one can do so much to keep you warm. And long underwear--if you are relatively slim and are wearing a pant with a fuller leg, you can probably get away with it (I do, routinely). Don't get thick stodgy thermals, get something really thin. You'd think, if it's so thin, how can it help, but it does. I like the Uniqlo Heattech stuff (bonus, it's cheap!). If you are a quick change artist you can even stick the long underwear on (in the bathroom) before hoofing around outside and then if you're indoors for a prolonged period, take it off in the bathroom and shove it in your purse. The Uniqlo stuff will compress down to something tiny.

I'll bite ... I grew up in FL but have lived most of my adult life in fairly cold places. I still hate winter and get cold really easily. I think you're off to a good start with the pantsuit but remember you need (1) heavy wool overcoat, (2) gloves or mittens, (3) scarf), (4) socks and boots, and MAYBE (5) long underwear and/or (6) hat. People are going to laugh and holler at me for those last two, and I'd skip the hat because I wouldn't want to mess up my hair on interview day, but I love scarves. A good one can do so much to keep you warm. And long underwear--if you are relatively slim and are wearing a pant with a fuller leg, you can probably get away with it (I do, routinely). Don't get thick stodgy thermals, get something really thin. You'd think, if it's so thin, how can it help, but it does. I like the Uniqlo Heattech stuff (bonus, it's cheap!). If you are a quick change artist you can even stick the long underwear on (in the bathroom) before hoofing around outside and then if you're indoors for a prolonged period, take it off in the bathroom and shove it in your purse. The Uniqlo stuff will compress down to something tiny.
Ah, thank you so much for the detailed response! I appreciate it a lot. :) I'm so bad when it comes to anything related to fashion so I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions for me... would I wear the heavy wool overcoat over my suit/blazer? And is appropriate to wear the overcoat throughout the interview day? (I'd probably want to take it off during the interview itself, right?)

Also, would boots with a pant suit look odds? I've never owned boots in my life -- except maybe a pair of cowboy boots that I barely wear. When I hear boots, I imagine something fluffy from Uggs haha. I'm not sure if something like that would be appropriate with a pant suit, or if there is a different style of boots that would look more professional?

Sorry -- as you can tell, I'm really bad when it comes to dressing up lol. I've always dressed extremely minimally and usually wear flats, thus the lack of knowledge...

Ah, thank you so much for the detailed response! I appreciate it a lot. :) I'm so bad when it comes to anything related to fashion so I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions for me... would I wear the heavy wool overcoat over my suit/blazer? And is appropriate to wear the overcoat throughout the interview day? (I'd probably want to take it off during the interview itself, right?)

Also, would boots with a pant suit look odds? I've never owned boots in my life -- except maybe a pair of cowboy boots that I barely wear. When I hear boots, I imagine something fluffy from Uggs haha. I'm not sure if something like that would be appropriate with a pant suit, or if there is a different style of boots that would look more professional?

Sorry -- as you can tell, I'm really bad when it comes to dressing up lol. I've always dressed extremely minimally and usually wear flats, thus the lack of knowledge...
LOL - definitely take your coat, scarf, and gloves off when you go inside! They're just for going outdoors. But yes, put the coat on over your suit jacket when it's time to go outside.

I think the party line here is that you should be tromping around in pumps even in the snow. My not so humble opinion is that it would be insane for someone to hold it against you that you couldn't stand that kind of cold, knowing that you are from Florida. The safest option is probably some kind of low dress boot that you can change out of when you are inside. Again, if it is that cold, I would imagine the admissions office will have a place for you to keep your coat and boots during the interview day. Or at least you can wear your boots till you get to the building, hop into a bathroom, change your shoes, and then keep the boots with your luggage at the admissions office until the end of the day and hope they don't make you walk around outside too much.

I would try something like this (these are expensive, but you get the idea):
http://www.zappos.com/la-canadienne-jasmin-black-suede

Good luck!

LOL - definitely take your coat, scarf, and gloves off when you go inside! They're just for going outdoors. But yes, put the coat on over your suit jacket when it's time to go outside.

I think the party line here is that you should be tromping around in pumps even in the snow. My not so humble opinion is that it would be insane for someone to hold it against you that you couldn't stand that kind of cold, knowing that you are from Florida. The safest option is probably some kind of low dress boot that you can change out of when you are inside. Again, if it is that cold, I would imagine the admissions office will have a place for you to keep your coat and boots during the interview day. Or at least you can wear your boots till you get to the building, hop into a bathroom, change your shoes, and then keep the boots with your luggage at the admissions office until the end of the day and hope they don't make you walk around outside too much.

I would try something like this (these are expensive, but you get the idea):
http://www.zappos.com/la-canadienne-jasmin-black-suede

Good luck!
Suede gets ruined my salt/snow, so if you're going to be in that kind of environment, I'd just stick with legit snow boots and change when you are inside.

Given your South Florida home, it would be very reasonable for you to call the admissions office and ask what the tour day is like and what type of cold weather wear you will need. How much of the tour will be outside vs. inside? Will sidewalks be slushy? Distance from parking lot to entrance, etc. Just be professional and friendly (and a little bit eager) and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

Suede gets ruined my salt/snow, so if you're going to be in that kind of environment, I'd just stick with legit snow boots and change when you are inside.
Ah, but those adorable shoes are La Canadienne! I have similar ones and they're awesome :)

Is it necessary to wear any type of socks or pantyhose if you're wearing suit pants with black heels? Should I wear a nude pantyhose under? That might seem weird under pants.. FYI my interview will be in a very cold state.. ~20 degrees now. It's okay if we show some feet skin right? Haha sounds weird.. I'm trying to find shoes with no toe cleavage but it's kind of hard!

Also, is it weird to wear dress pants that are kind of fitted (not tapered at the bottom though)? They kinda hug my bum and thigh.. but they do flare out a little at the bottom. I got these from BR a while ago and would love if I didn't have to buy another pair of pants for my upcoming interview. Also, I have a pear shaped body so it's hard to find pants that don't do this. The pants are really nice but the material is kinda stretchy so I'm wondering if this isn't professional enough. Material is 56% viscose, 39% cotton, 5% elastane.

Thanks! Sorry if any of these questions were silly..

is it too off topic to ask for makeup advice here? I think I read a few posts that recommended some light make-up; but i always find my eyeliner smudges and looks terrible. Brands/ technique? forego altogether?

Last edited:
is it too off topic to ask for makeup advice here? I think I read a few posts that recommended some light make-up; but i always find my eyeliner smudges and looks terrible. Brands/ technique? forego altogether?

Honestly I use NYX priming spray on my face before I put any makeup on. That helps me immensely with smudging- but a setting spray probably works best for most people. I use ELF eyeliner (cheap), covergirl mascara, and NYX foundation/highlighter/contour for my face.

YouTube and BuzzFeed have some awesome beauty hacks... You can also go to a dept store and have them do your makeup and explain everything they are doing and keep track of it. I am a tomboy at heart and would rather have basketball shorts and a ponytail than heels and mascara on... But work made me have to learn how to make my face up. I used BuzzFeed and YouTube ;)

On other tip if you struggle with making your makeup simple is to use a lighter eyeliner- if I go more "natural" then I use a wine colored eyeliner or a taupe color. (I'm very pale, have aubergine hair and usually wear dark purple/red lipstick in the winter. Can't have thick eyeliner too)

I do have a question. I am rather on the tall size at 6'0" and very much enjoy wearing my Steve Madden 5" heels to work. They're comfortable and professional... Would those be too much already being 6'0"? I like being 6'5" at work as it makes me stand out... Just not sure if it's the right way to go and I should stick to flats/low pumps :confused:

These are my shoes:

image.jpeg

Oh man... Just answered my own question. Creeped a bit farther back. Guess I'll have to buy a pair of short heels. TPM sad!

Y'all probably think I'm crazy for the heel height... But I also enjoy wearing leopard print heels. But my job only requires that I wear business casual so it's not quite at the same level of business professional.

Is it necessary to wear any type of socks or pantyhose if you're wearing suit pants with black heels? Should I wear a nude pantyhose under? That might seem weird under pants.. FYI my interview will be in a very cold state.. ~20 degrees now. It's okay if we show some feet skin right? Haha sounds weird.. I'm trying to find shoes with no toe cleavage but it's kind of hard!

Also, is it weird to wear dress pants that are kind of fitted (not tapered at the bottom though)? They kinda hug my bum and thigh.. but they do flare out a little at the bottom. I got these from BR a while ago and would love if I didn't have to buy another pair of pants for my upcoming interview. Also, I have a pear shaped body so it's hard to find pants that don't do this. The pants are really nice but the material is kinda stretchy so I'm wondering if this isn't professional enough. Material is 56% viscose, 39% cotton, 5% elastane.

thx Tallpremed for the advice, will check it out.

As for BearyMotivated - under pants I would typically wear knee-high hosiery. 20 degrees is very cold and I would not recommend going without some type of sock. I think nude or sheer black hose would be OK; but what do people think about a more substantial dressy trouser sock with the right shoe? like maybe a heeled penny loafer? But I think nude hose is just fine.

Do you have a suit jacket that goes with your BR dress pants? I guess from your description, the pants sound serviceable, and I've definitely worn BR pants to work. I don't think I've worn that type of material to an interview; but it doesn't sound horribly inappropriate, especially if you need to watch your budget.

I certainly don't consider myself any type of expert and hopefully you will get some more input tomorrow!

thx Tallpremed for the advice, will check it out.

As for BearyMotivated - under pants I would typically wear knee-high hosiery. 20 degrees is very cold and I would not recommend going without some type of sock. I think nude or sheer black hose would be OK; but what do people think about a more substantial dressy trouser sock with the right shoe? like maybe a heeled penny loafer? But I think nude hose is just fine.

Do you have a suit jacket that goes with your BR dress pants? I guess from your description, the pants sound serviceable, and I've definitely worn BR pants to work. I don't think I've worn that type of material to an interview; but it doesn't sound horribly inappropriate, especially if you need to watch your budget.

I certainly don't consider myself any type of expert and hopefully you will get some more input tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice! I've never worn knee-high hosiery.. I hope I can find some that won't ride down so it won't be distracting. That's my worry. On the other hand.. any ladies out there who find that it's okay to not wear any hosiery under pants? Most of the day is indoors. More worried about the professionalism of it. Is it okay to show "feet skin"? haha =P

I don't have a suit jacket.. so I'll have to go look for one. I don't know if I can find that same material =/ sigh. I'll do my best! Thanks!

Oh man... Just answered my own question. Creeped a bit farther back. Guess I'll have to buy a pair of short heels. TPM sad!

Y'all probably think I'm crazy for the heel height... But I also enjoy wearing leopard print heels. But my job only requires that I wear business casual so it's not quite at the same level of business professional.

I could never wear those heels!

Thanks for the advice! I've never worn knee-high hosiery.. I hope I can find some that won't ride down so it won't be distracting. That's my worry. On the other hand.. any ladies out there who find that it's okay to not wear any hosiery under pants? Most of the day is indoors. More worried about the professionalism of it. Is it okay to show "feet skin"? haha =P

I don't have a suit jacket.. so I'll have to go look for one. I don't know if I can find that same material =/ sigh. I'll do my best! Thanks!

Oh, that's different. I'd recommend going out and buying a suit then.
I've never had a problem with knee-high hose (brands that I've bought include Hue, I've also used drugstore pantyhose). Maybe buy a quality pair and try them out before the interview so you can feel confident in them. I think I've seen folks say on this thread that no-hose is not considered professional enough for this day. With pants, it's possible that it will go unnoticed, but why not just wear the hose?

Last edited:

On the pantyhose under pants issue -- If it's COLD, then pantyhose will provide you with a surprising degree of extra warmth without adding much to the way of bulk, so a good way to go. They'll also help shape and tone without panty lines, so may help you look better. Foot-skin is NOT a good idea, so if you opt not to go full-pantyhose, then do knee-highs or dressy thin trouser socks instead.

You mentioned that your slacks are a bit snug through the hips and thighs. That's a problem that you'll need to fix, and the unhappy answer means buying a size or two up and having them tailored. Get thee over to Nordstrom's and make it so.

You don't need a 'crisp' eye-line, so 'smudgy' is fine so long as that look is what you intend. And as has been pointed out, a lighter shade of eye-liner, so medium brown, will achieve the objective without looking artificial.

On other tip if you struggle with making your makeup simple is to use a lighter eyeliner- if I go more "natural" then I use a wine colored eyeliner or a taupe color. (I'm very pale, have aubergine hair and usually wear dark purple/red lipstick in the winter. Can't have thick eyeliner too)

I do have a question. I am rather on the tall size at 6'0" and very much enjoy wearing my Steve Madden 5" heels to work. They're comfortable and professional... Would those be too much already being 6'0"? I like being 6'5" at work as it makes me stand out... Just not sure if it's the right way to go and I should stick to flats/low pumps :confused:

These are my shoes:

View attachment 200089

As you'll have gathered @TallPreMed those pumps are simply too high to be 'conservative interview professional' so time for the 'Grandma shoes' for you. (No more than 4" at the heel with no more than a 1/2" platform. And that's ONLY if your shoe size is 9 or larger. For tiny feet, no more than 3" heels.) While I'd love to be 6' and be able to rock stiletto shoes, leopard prints, aubergine hair and wine lips, you're going to really need to tone things down for your interview look. You don't have to look like you're trying to fade into the background (that doesn't sound like your style ;)), but conservative cuts and colors with maybe just one small 'wild' detail...

As you'll have gathered @TallPreMed those pumps are simply too high to be 'conservative interview professional' so time for the 'Grandma shoes' for you. (No more than 4" at the heel with no more than a 1/2" platform. And that's ONLY if your shoe size is 9 or larger. For tiny feet, no more than 3" heels.) While I'd love to be 6' and be able to rock stiletto shoes, leopard prints, aubergine hair and wine lips, you're going to really need to tone things down for your interview look. You don't have to look like you're trying to fade into the background (that doesn't sound like your style ;)), but conservative cuts and colors with maybe just one small 'wild' detail...[/QUOTE]

Cheers to wearing a size 10.5 then for heels ;)
As for the hair and makeup... It's long and red and actually looks pretty natural- just looks like I had some highlights put in (even though I'm naturally a brunette) and I'll stick with a muted lip color...Sigh. Black suit and skirt for me... With the leopard print 4" pumps ;):p:D

Anecdote on high heels from my mom that I have always taken to heart: she's 5'11", and she frequently wore higher heels when she was in her 20s/30s. She was interviewing for her first job out of college and wore heels. She was already seated when the interviewer came in and as she went to stand he said no need, they proceeded to have a great interview and he told her he was looking forward to working with her. They stood to say goodbye and he ended up being a short man. He looked at her, looked at her heels, and physically recoiled and stammered goodbye. She did not get the job. Obviously we will never know if that was the reason, but she can't figure out why else he would have that reaction after having a wonderful interview. Not everyone has this hang up clearly, but I would never want someone else's insecurity or bias to be the reason I don't get a job or opportunity.

I was feeling a little conservative in my suit and 1 inch heels on an interview until I saw how out of place another interviewee looked in a super tight above the knee skirt, skin tight satin shirt, huge diamond necklace, hot pink lipstick, and sky high heels. Perhaps my appearance didn't stand out, but I'm pretty glad that I can look back and know that nothing about my appearance could be considered objectionable and if I am rejected, I won't be thinking "did I look too wild or too trendy or too concerned with fashion or too shallow or like I was trying to look sexy?". And yeah that suit and those heels are going to probably sit in my closet for a long time, but they were worth it for that peace of mind alone.

O
Anecdote on high heels from my mom that I have always taken to heart: she's 5'11", and she frequently wore higher heels when she was in her 20s/30s. She was interviewing for her first job out of college and wore heels. She was already seated when the interviewer came in and as she went to stand he said no need, they proceeded to have a great interview and he told her he was looking forward to working with her. They stood to say goodbye and he ended up being a short man. He looked at her, looked at her heels, and physically recoiled and stammered goodbye. She did not get the job. Obviously we will never know if that was the reason, but she can't figure out why else he would have that reaction after having a wonderful interview. Not everyone has this hang up clearly, but I would never want someone else's insecurity or bias to be the reason I don't get a job or opportunity.

I was feeling a little conservative in my suit and 1 inch heels on an interview until I saw how out of place another interviewee looked in a super tight above the knee skirt, skin tight satin shirt, huge diamond necklace, hot pink lipstick, and sky high heels. Perhaps my appearance didn't stand out, but I'm pretty glad that I can look back and know that nothing about my appearance could be considered objectionable and if I am rejected, I won't be thinking "did I look too wild or too trendy or too concerned with fashion or too shallow or like I was trying to look sexy?". And yeah that suit and those heels are going to probably sit in my closet for a long time, but they were worth it for that peace of mind alone.
I am already so tall. Chances are if I'm interviewing with someone who has a problem with tall women, I'm already going to be taller than them. I don't think I've ever run into a man who is 6'1"+ who has had an issue with my height. It's always been those who are 5'8" and shorter. So I'm already in trouble lol.

Can't fix a short man... Certainly not all are broken, but you just can't fix the ones who are.

Reactions: 5 users
When I thought my interviews were over, I have one more! Anyone know where someone under 5' tall can buy a nice, professional winter coat that is ready-to-wear? Sigh, I've never felt as weird about my (lack of) height as I have when shopping for interviews :p

When I thought my interviews were over, I have one more! Anyone know where someone under 5' tall can buy a nice, professional winter coat that is ready-to-wear? Sigh, I've never felt as weird about my (lack of) height as I have when shopping for interviews :p
I'm 5' tall (and sometimes 5'1" depending on whether one rounds up!), and 95lbs, and I've never felt too gracile in the professional sector. Rock your height (or lack thereof)! As for professional winter coats, a cashmere blend long coat is ideal, but a wool blend works just as well. I have found wonderful simple wool coats at major retailers, including NM, bloomy's, nordy's, and Macy's. I also like the petite selection at Karen Millen, J Crew, and BR. Now is a good time as the season is about to turn. Happy hunting!

Reactions: 1 users
hello all! I just got my first interview invite (so nervous ahhhh!) and so now I must find the perfect outfit!
Since this is my first time on this thread and it is soon long, is there a general consensus on acceptable color and cut of suits?
Black? Navy? Gray? pencil? skinny? straight leg? are flats or loafers better? or are heels better?

anyone who has been on interviews and seen others, what was the general consensus everyone has worn?
Thank you so much!!

hello all! I just got my first interview invite (so nervous ahhhh!) and so now I must find the perfect outfit!
Since this is my first time on this thread and it is soon long, is there a general consensus on acceptable color and cut of suits?
Black? Navy? Gray? pencil? skinny? straight leg? are flats or loafers better? or are heels better?

anyone who has been on interviews and seen others, what was the general consensus everyone has worn?
Thank you so much!!
Navy or Gray.

Trouser leg or straight. Pencil or straight skirt.

Heels, 3 inches or less.

Reactions: 2 users