Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally I'm wearing 4 in. heels because I'm short (<5'4). I've been told that they look professional still though because they're black leather and have a thicker heel. I'll definitely be bringing flats in my tote for the tours though!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to figure out which sort of tote to bring. I have this large, "satchel" bag, but I can't tell if it's interview appropriate:

http://www.luvcharlie.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2969

Unlike the girl in the picture, I use the two smaller handles on my shoulder. I love this bag, it has lots of room, but I'm second guessing all my style choices as my first interview approaches...

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit humiliating, but has anyone used any of the button extenders for pants, that you can find at most fabric stores?

I have a two day interview for one school, and just tried on my second suit for the second day and they are now a bit snug! :eek: It is just a smidge, as my other suit is only one size bigger and the pants are actually a bit loose.

I mostly just want to make sure before I go out and buy an extender that it won't make the pants look strange.

Thank you so much!
(Eating lots of salads between now and 10/4)

I was really happy with these styles until I got on here and saw that mostly everyone is going with the black/blue/grey suits with a 'dash' of color. So my question is, how appropriate (or maybe inappropriate?) are these two (attached).

I'm kinda in love with both after trying them on, but am now in desperate need of advice because I don't want to stick out or give the impression that I'm not giving the interview the serious-ness it deserves.

If it matters at all, I have long hair, so I plan on putting it in a french twist or a bun (thanks to an earlier poster on here, for her advice on the matter :))

Attachments

• suit2.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 269
  • suit1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 239
I was really happy with these styles until I got on here and saw that mostly everyone is going with the black/blue/grey suits with a 'dash' of color. So my question is, how appropriate (or maybe inappropriate?) are these two (attached).

I'm kinda in love with both after trying them on, but am now in desperate need of advice because I don't want to stick out or give the impression that I'm not giving the interview the serious-ness it deserves.

If it matters at all, I have long hair, so I plan on putting it in a french twist or a bun (thanks to an earlier poster on here, for her advice on the matter :))

They both look really kind of casual to me... I would not risk standing out for my clothes like that, I'd rather my app be the thing my interviewers remember! :)

They both look really kind of casual to me... I would not risk standing out for my clothes like that, I'd rather my app be the thing my interviewers remember! :)

Hm. I guess I see how they may seem casual from the pics, but if you imagine a more business-y/professional look (sleek bun, tote, stalkings, 2inch shoes)... still think it's too risky?

The standing out is exactly what I'm wondering about.. I understand blue/black suits on guys, but do all girls really stick to the black blue gray outfits for interviews? Anyone know some rules of thumb about how much 'standing out' is recommended?

I do have a black pantsuit from high school, but since it was getting a little big, I figured I'd buy something new for interviews... Decisions decisions.

Hm. I guess I see how they may seem casual from the pics, but if you imagine a more business-y/professional look (sleek bun, tote, stalkings, 2inch shoes)... still think it's too risky?

The standing out is exactly what I'm wondering about.. I understand blue/black suits on guys, but do all girls really stick to the black blue gray outfits for interviews? Anyone know some rules of thumb about how much 'standing out' is recommended?

I do have a black pantsuit from high school, but since it was getting a little big, I figured I'd buy something new for interviews... Decisions decisions.

I think it would still look too casual. This one girl wore a beige/tan skirt and I kept thinking that she was part of the admissions office. She wasn't.
Another girl wore something similar to the first and she looked really out of place in the sea of black.. If you must stand out, pick a cute colored top for under your suit. I did see one chick that had this really pretty peachy pink ruffled shell under her suit and I loved it.

I think it would still look too casual. This one girl wore a beige/tan skirt and I kept thinking that she was part of the admissions office. She wasn't.
Another girl wore something similar to the first and she looked really out of place in the sea of black.. If you must stand out, pick a cute colored top for under your suit. I did see one chick that had this really pretty peachy pink ruffled shell under her suit and I loved it.

Aww man. :(

Thank you guys (girls) for your feedback <3 I'll figure somethin' out

The tan/brown suit is so cute, and will be FINE. You're not interviewing at a brokerage or a bank, like LizzyM has said many times. You're interviewing at med school so you don't need a full on Wall St (i.e. srsly srs) suit. The first grey/black suit would also be fine, but if it looks the way it does in the picture, make sure to get it tailored to actually fit your body first. It looks really boxy and frumpy on the mannequin, and that's not something you want with any suit.

Anyway--both those options are fine, imo. You'll look put together and presentable, which is the point.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I bought this suit with a matching skirt:
server

Here's it on a model. Mine is charcoal (like the top image), not navy.

server

Other pics here.

It's at the tailor's and now I'm stuck trying to find something to go underneath it, and I'd rather not go with a plain white shirt. Any ideas? It looks black in the picture but it's definitely a dark grey in person.

Thanks!!

The tan/brown suit is so cute, and will be FINE. You're not interviewing at a brokerage or a bank, like LizzyM has said many times. You're interviewing at med school so you don't need a full on Wall St (i.e. srsly srs) suit. The first grey/black suit would also be fine, but if it looks the way it does in the picture, make sure to get it tailored to actually fit your body first. It looks really boxy and frumpy on the mannequin, and that's not something you want with any suit.

Anyway--both those options are fine, imo. You'll look put together and presentable, which is the point.

Lol your Nelly pic threw me off for just a sec. Thank you, I"m going through the thread and I see the Km and LizzyM advice you're talking about. But now I'm scared so I'm gonna go on a hunt for a more traditional suit. I'm starting to think maybe it was a bad idea leaving the clothes to the last minute! [I figured it would be the easiest part:rolleyes::laugh:]

P.s. you're right, the first looks absolutely adorable with an up do and I really really want to keep it, but alas I'm probably just gonna take it back.

So I bought this suit with a matching skirt:
server

Here's it on a model. Mine is charcoal (like the top image), not navy.

server

Other pics here.

It's at the tailor's and now I'm stuck trying to find something to go underneath it, and I'd rather not go with a plain white shirt. Any ideas? It looks black in the picture but it's definitely a dark grey in person.

Thanks!!

A Lavender or baby blue or seafoam green or lighter pink, even some bolder versions of these colors would look nice with a dark grey suit.

I'm not saying a different color is bad at all, necessarily. I don't think there is anything wrong with a different color (like LizzyM says, it's sometimes refreshing for interviewers to see something other than the usual sea of black). What I'm saying is that the cuts of both of the jackets you showed were not at all traditional and in my opinion looked a little librarianish - overall just too casual for an interview. I feel like while a different color might be refreshing, a completely different suit style might be pushing it just a little. I'm sorry if my first post was confusing on that!

A Lavender or baby blue or seafoam green or lighter pink, even some bolder versions of these colors would look nice with a dark grey suit.

I LOVE the light blue look, but unfortunately I'm one of those Asians with a real yellow undertone and blue just makes me look jaundiced :(

Might pink or lavender be too feminine?

I LOVE the light blue look, but unfortunately I'm one of those Asians with a real yellow undertone and blue just makes me look jaundiced :(

I don't think so at all. Just don't overdo anything else...i.e make-up, keep shoes basic, etc

I'm not saying a different color is bad at all, necessarily. I don't think there is anything wrong with a different color (like LizzyM says, it's sometimes refreshing for interviewers to see something other than the usual sea of black). What I'm saying is that the cuts of both of the jackets you showed were not at all traditional and in my opinion looked a little librarianish - overall just too casual for an interview. I feel like while a different color might be refreshing, a completely different suit style might be pushing it just a little. I'm sorry if my first post was confusing on that!

:laugh:

I get you now! Thanks for your feedback and for clarifying :) I guess I was too attached but in retrospect, it was the better decision go with the traditional black skirt suit (I did splurge in color on the shell :D)

I'm all done with my outfit! Time to practice practice practice..

I get you now! Thanks for your feedback and for clarifying :) I guess I was too attached but in retrospect, it was the better decision go with the traditional black skirt suit (I did splurge in color on the shell :D)

I think that is perfect! Best of luck on your interviews!! :thumbup:

Chiming in late, but...

I think you made a good choice--it will be a relief to have one less thing to worry about on interview day, good luck!

I agree!

I don't think so at all, but if you're looking for other good colors for yellow skin tones: reds/yellows (brick, dark tomato, burnt orange, gold), greens (olive, moss, jade, grass), and whites (ivory, oyster).

(And yes, I did look up those colors on a color palatte)

:luck:You too girlie!

km: I figured out hairstyle, shoes and bag choices from your posts. You know your stuff!:cool:

Last edited:
km: I figured out hairstyle, shoes and bag choices from your posts. You know your stuff!:cool:

I'm glad I could be helpful--I'm really not too much older than most of y'all, but growing up and now working in the South has turned me into a bit of a professional/fashion etiquette nut :)

I was hoping someone could help me find a winter coat online that would be acceptable to wear to an interview day and keep me warm...I live in Hawaii so most stores here don't carry winter coats.
Also if anyone has examples of shells to wear under a black suit that would be appropriate for interview- any help would be appreciated. I don't want to wear a button down or anything with ruffles (too much going on on top already). Something plain but colorful...
Thanks!

I was hoping someone could help me find a winter coat online that would be acceptable to wear to an interview day and keep me warm...I live in Hawaii so most stores here don't carry winter coats.
Also if anyone has examples of shells to wear under a black suit that would be appropriate for interview- any help would be appreciated. I don't want to wear a button down or anything with ruffles (too much going on on top already). Something plain but colorful...
Thanks!

I think any black or grey peacoat, as long as it doesn't have any crazy parts, would be a safe bet. If possible I would try to really make sure the measurements are right, because they look really bad when they don't fit. Coats with belts will fit more easily. Also think about how it'll look with the lapel of your suit.

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/outerwear/trenches/PRDOVR~28231/28231.jsp

For one of my interviews, I will be going on a tour the first thing in the morning, then go to a lunch, and finally have my interview in the afternoon. Since I have my tour first, would it be bad if I wear something more casual for walking around first and then change into my pantsuit for my interview after lunch? My pants from the pantsuit are too long to wear with flats, so I was going to change into other pants for the walking portion of the day.

Also, how "formal" do the flats have to be for walking around? Do they care if it has a bow on it as long as it's all black?

For one of my interviews, I will be going on a tour the first thing in the morning, then go to a lunch, and finally have my interview in the afternoon. Since I have my tour first, would it be bad if I wear something more casual for walking around first and then change into my pantsuit for my interview after lunch? My pants from the pantsuit are too long to wear with flats, so I was going to change into other pants for the walking portion of the day.

Also, how "formal" do the flats have to be for walking around? Do they care if it has a bow on it as long as it's all black?

I wouldn't change into anything casual... You'll want to look professional at all times, so I would stick to wearing your pantsuit the whole day. Maybe just fold your pants or use pins from keeping them from dragging on the floor with your flats.

The flats you described sound fine, as long as it wasn't a giant bright pink bow or something, should be fine :thumbup:.

So what is the deal with shells? I have a black silk blouse from Banana (not spaghetti strap, but like 3 finger width) I am wearing under a gray pant suit from NY & Company and I am wondering if, after the interview and on the tour, I am allowed to take the jacket off if I get hott....or is this a big no-no? I think it still looks professional, but I've never had to wear professional clothes before and no one in my family ever has either, so I may not be the best judge.

So what is the deal with shells? I have a black silk blouse from Banana (not spaghetti strap, but like 3 finger width) I am wearing under a gray pant suit from NY & Company and I am wondering if, after the interview and on the tour, I am allowed to take the jacket off if I get hott....or is this a big no-no? I think it still looks professional, but I've never had to wear professional clothes before and no one in my family ever has either, so I may not be the best judge.

There's a difference between "modest" and "professional" (not that I think spaghetti straps are immodest). The general consensus says no taking your jacket off if you don't have sleeves--I believe the strict rule is no shoulders showing.

There's a difference between "modest" and "professional" (not that I think spaghetti straps are immodest). The general consensus says no taking your jacket off if you don't have sleeves--I believe the strict rule is no shoulders showing.

Agreed. If you think that you may, at any point, need to take your jacket off during the day, then you need to wear a blouse or collared shirt with sleeves.

Hi! I need help! I have an interview on Oct 12 and I think I should start shopping but I don't like shopping, suits, or heels.SO my approach is to suck it up and find something I'm comfortable in. I have a few questions:

I really like skinny pants, especially that end at the ankle, minus the ugly colorblock, would something like this be acceptable
http://www.thelimited.com/detail/drew-colorblock-straight-leg-pant/6623082
I also like trendy/ different, which I learned is no. Is this too trendy?
http://www.thelimited.com/detail/shawl-collar-tie-jacket/2219394
Lastly, I have these medium sized purple and maroon glasses. They're prescription because I'm almost blind, would it be ok to wear them?

ALSO, buy one get one free at the Limited!!!

oh and I also love something like this but in the dark charcoal
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/Novelty/PRDOVR~50174/50174.jsp

Hi! I need help! I have an interview on Oct 12 and I think I should start shopping but I don't like shopping, suits, or heels.SO my approach is to suck it up and find something I'm comfortable in. I have a few questions:

I really like skinny pants, especially that end at the ankle, minus the ugly colorblock, would something like this be acceptable
Lastly, I have these medium sized purple and maroon glasses. They're prescription because I'm almost blind, would it be ok to wear them?

"Straight leg" and "skinny leg" are two different things--straight leg is acceptable for interviews, but I would stay away from a true "skinny" pant!

I don't think a shawl collar is all that trendy, and the material is quite nice on this jacket. The tie is a little trendy/feminine, but I like it.

Colored frames are completely fine--just make sure you consider them when choosing other jewelry, you don't want to have 5 different jewelry "statements" going on...talk about distracting!

Love sales!

oh and I also love something like this but in the dark charcoal
http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/Novelty/PRDOVR~50174/50174.jsp

This is very pretty, but keep in mind that short sleeves may not be appropriate for interviews in colder climates or later in the year.

I have a very conservative suit that I wore to my first interview. This is it: http://imgur.com/ERpxG. I am a bit shorter than this model so the skirt actually comes to slightly below the knee. I am wearing it with a simple brown belt.

Would it be unprofessional to wear these shoes with that suit for my upcoming interviews? http://imgur.com/oskjH

As a side note, I write a craft blog and was an art major, so the schools are probably aware that I come from a funkier persuasion than most pre-meds. I am trying to go for an understated professional-funky (wearing one or two of the simpler rings I have made). I definitely want to keep it professional, but not cookie-cutter. I just want to make sure that I am taken seriously, while expressing my style a bit as well.

This is very pretty, but keep in mind that short sleeves may not be appropriate for interviews in colder climates or later in the year.

And you would be miserable. Some of these places get freakishly cold..

I have a very conservative suit that I wore to my first interview. This is it: http://imgur.com/ERpxG. I am a bit shorter than this model so the skirt actually comes to slightly below the knee. I am wearing it with a simple brown belt.

Would it be unprofessional to wear these shoes with that suit for my upcoming interviews? http://imgur.com/oskjH

As a side note, I write a craft blog and was an art major, so the schools are probably aware that I come from a funkier persuasion than most pre-meds. I am trying to go for an understated professional-funky (wearing one or two of the simpler rings I have made). I definitely want to keep it professional, but not cookie-cutter. I just want to make sure that I am taken seriously, while expressing my style a bit as well.

I think the shoes are definitely unprofessional. I also wouldn't call that outfit "very conservative" but it's really pretty though.

And you would be miserable. Some of these places get freakishly cold..

I think the shoes are definitely unprofessional. I also wouldn't call that outfit "very conservative" but it's really pretty though.

Thanks! I think I'm going to stick with simple black or nude pumps.

yea I think the leopard print might be too much but I know what you mean about being a little funky. I'm very quirky and awkward, as is my style, and I just want a dash of personality in my outfit.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to attempt to go shopping this weekend.

So I browsed through the thread and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet...but are one-button suit jackets okay?

I tried this on (http://www.express.com/suits-1049/control/page/5/show/3/index.ens) and it was really comfortable, but I'm wondering if a two- or three-button suit would be more professional.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it! Lol I dunno...HELP!

One-button suit jackets are fine!! It's what I wore :). And sometimes the one-button suit jackets are more flattering on some body types than the 2 or 3 button ones. That suit looks great!

You know guys, I had a moment of clarity while desperately searching for the "perfect interview outfit." This is not about fashion at all. Basically you just want to not be offensive. You don't want to stand out with your clothes. I know this is tough for people who like fashion (like me) but it just hit me that you want your clothes to basically shrink away during the interview. Just wear the most boring thing you can ok? Well-fitted conservative black/gray suit, at the knee. A shirt that does not even come close to bearing cleavage or being too tight (not too crazy a color or pattern, but color's ok unless your school is uber conservative). And boring black pumps. you can wear a pretty necklace/earrings, but nothing big. I even wore (yikes) stockings! It's one day. Just remember that. You can go back to your funky self tomorrow once you've gotten yourself in! Just think BORING and let your personality be the thing they notice, not your clothes. (BTW, I got in, so I think it worked ;)

You know guys, I had a moment of clarity while desperately searching for the "perfect interview outfit." This is not about fashion at all. Basically you just want to not be offensive. You don't want to stand out with your clothes. I know this is tough for people who like fashion (like me) but it just hit me that you want your clothes to basically shrink away during the interview. Just wear the most boring thing you can ok? Well-fitted conservative black/gray suit, at the knee. A shirt that does not even come close to bearing cleavage or being too tight (not too crazy a color or pattern, but color's ok unless your school is uber conservative). And boring black pumps. you can wear a pretty necklace/earrings, but nothing big. I even wore (yikes) stockings! It's one day. Just remember that. You can go back to your funky self tomorrow once you've gotten yourself in! Just think BORING and let your personality be the thing they notice, not your clothes. (BTW, I got in, so I think it worked ;)

I feel like this should be stickied or something.

Hey ladies, I was wondering what kind of bag I should bring to the interview. I dont have any business-ey/professional bags/stylish briefcases. If you find any online, please do paste the link to it! Thanks

Also, while i'm on here.. I have a black 1-button suite (exactly the one thats posted above from express except black) and I have a black skirt or pants whatever. But also have this top that I was planning on wearing under the suit, tucked in: http://www.thelimited.com/detail/bow-front-shirt/4223097/636

i really like the color because the rest of my suit is black and i have black hair. borrinnggg. please let me know if this is inappropriate!

Also, I'm planning on wearing grey pumps with my black suit... stop me now if any of this should be changed! lol

agreed! Although I do think fit is REALLY important. If your clothes don't fit you, you'll still stand out, just for being a different type of unprofessional...

Also, while i'm on here.. I have a black 1-button suite (exactly the one thats posted above from express except black) and I have a black skirt or pants whatever. But also have this top that I was planning on wearing under the suit, tucked in: http://www.thelimited.com/detail/bow-front-shirt/4223097/636

i really like the color because the rest of my suit is black and i have black hair. borrinnggg. please let me know if this is inappropriate!

Also, I'm planning on wearing grey pumps with my black suit... stop me now if any of this should be changed! lol

I really like it :). And I think it will look great with the black suit :thumbup:.