WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite today for 10/24.

Anyone who has interviewd already, have any feedback?

Hello!

I interviewed here last week, and the school is awesome. The interview is very laidback and the people there are super friendly and helpful. All the students I encountered there looked really happy. I think they looked at my file pretty extensively, since they asked me some questions about things that were very specific and probably took up only one line in my file (I was more than happy to talk about them though, because people rarely ask :p ). I don't think there's anything they asked me that isn't already in the interview feedback section, aside from the ones that were really just pertinent to my file. They just seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person. It'd probably be good to have some questions ready for them though. Aside from that, relax, and good luck! :]

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewing here next week and am sooooo excited!! Due to how I had to schedule my travel, I will be arriving a full day in advance. Therefore, any current students or people familiar with the area have any suggestions on how to entertain myself for the day. I am thinking checking out the town and doing some hiking but I welcome other suggestions to help me get a feel for the area :) Thanks!

At the interview, we were told that next year they would begin a new curriculum. Does anyone know much about what the new curriculum will be like?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the interview, we were told that next year they would begin a new curriculum. Does anyone know much about what the new curriculum will be like?
I asked about i, and they said the biggest change that their doing is making everything more case-based. Students will be dealing more with cases during lecture instead of just lecture. I think they're also starting to transition to system-based, but I'm not sure if that's going to be full-blown next year or if they're only making a few changes.

Just canceled interview for 10/31/11, good luck to everybody!

Hey guys, this is my first time posting.

I'm currently sitting in Fairfield hotel writing this post. BTY, the hotel is great, the Hampton right next to it should also be good. The prices are decent and there's Applebees, Exxon right next to them. These two hotels are about 2 min driving to the school. My interview is tomorrow, but walked around the school already. The whole tour would take you around 30min (if you want to have a look at every building). The layout was really laid back, good to ride a bike or skateboard (lots of up/downhills though). So wish me luck and I'll keep you guys updated.;)

AND almost forget, Great news (at least for me) the Greenbrier Valley Airport, which is like really close to the school, has direct flight to NY-JFK, Atlanta and Ohio. :laugh: I'm from Jersey, so JFK is definitely good for me instead of driving 7 hours.

I am sitting here at Relax Inn a\in Lewisberg, WV. Big interview in the morning... p.s. don't stay at Relax Inn haha just trust me

Accepted:D

the interview was laid back, but one or two interviewers were hard to read (doesn't smile or nod or anything). I know the OOS bill is high, but I will just see because wvsom has been my top choice, if the one in my own state doesn't accept me, then i will be seeing you guys next fall in lewisburg.

The Fairfield inn is awesome, as is the Holiday Inn Express further down the street. Hampton Inn is okay, but they have no wireless internet, only wired. All three serve breakfast. Flying out of Lewisburg to JFK and ATL is VERY well priced (Under $200 roundtrip). Flying anywhere else can be an arm an a leg. Just FYI...

Hey guys, this is my first time posting.

I'm currently sitting in Fairfield hotel writing this post. BTY, the hotel is great, the Hampton right next to it should also be good. The prices are decent and there's Applebees, Exxon right next to them. These two hotels are about 2 min driving to the school. My interview is tomorrow, but walked around the school already. The whole tour would take you around 30min (if you want to have a look at every building). The layout was really laid back, good to ride a bike or skateboard (lots of up/downhills though). So wish me luck and I'll keep you guys updated.;)

AND almost forget, Great news (at least for me) the Greenbrier Valley Airport, which is like really close to the school, has direct flight to NY-JFK, Atlanta and Ohio. :laugh: I'm from Jersey, so JFK is definitely good for me instead of driving 7 hours.

I know that some people mentioned that they heard back from WVSOM the day after the interview, but i was just wondering if that is the consensus for everyone. I'm really excited about this interview; are there any current students who go there, who wouldn't mind talking to me about their experiences?

I know that some people mentioned that they heard back from WVSOM the day after the interview, but i was just wondering if that is the consensus for everyone. I'm really excited about this interview; are there any current students who go there, who wouldn't mind talking to me about their experiences?

how long did it take to hear about your interview after you submitted? Thanks

^ same question ..how longs the wait lately? ugh Ive been at a decision pending for a month now ..

Members don't see this ad :)

The people who have the opportunity to hear back the day after their interview are those who interview on Mondays. The ADCOMs meet on Tuesday morning and they generally post results by about 10 am east coast time.

The people who have the opportunity to hear back the day after their interview are those who interview on Mondays. The ADCOMs meet on Tuesday morning and they generally post results by about 10 am east coast time.

Nice, I am interviewing here this Monday(10/24).

Good luck to everyone!

thanks for the info, are you currently a student there?

Hey, a quick question for you. I'm one of the applicants done with the interview and desperately waiting for next Tuesday for the decision...
Does the current status of "decision pending" change to "accepted" if it's a good news? And if it's not so much of a good news, what does it say there?

Thanks in advance, and congrats on your acceptance!

I just got accepted on Tuesday from my interview on Monday :laugh:

Hey, a quick question for you. I'm one of the applicants done with the interview and desperately waiting for next Tuesday for the decision...
Does the current status of "decision pending" change to "accepted" if it's a good news? And if it's not so much of a good news, what does it say there?

It changes to accepted applicant or accept applicant, or something like that. You'll know! I don't know what it says when you're rejected or waitlisted..

It will change to accept applicant. It was done this week by about 9:30 or so on tuesday morning but I have heard sometimes it takes longer. I have not heard what it says if you are not accepted but I am sure admissions would be willing to let you know what all the options are.

Well I received "decision deferred" status this morning (pre-interview). I'm assuming they are waiting for my planned January 28 MCAT score.

My question...with getting the scores back on March 1, does that basically eliminate me for this cycle? Would it be realistic to be interview/accepted that late in the cycle?

I'm pretty bummed, this was definitely one of my top choices.

Hey all,

does anyone have an idea of what the interview/acceptance rate is or perhaps what last years data such as how many interviewed and how many were accepted?

Thank you in advance!

Hey all,

does anyone have an idea of what the interview/acceptance rate is or perhaps what last years data such as how many interviewed and how many were accepted?

Thank you in advance!

According to US News and World Report not sure what year but either 2009 or 2010 (broke down and paid the 20$ a few months back):

Instate- Applied: 153 , Interviewed: 73 , Accepted: 45, Enrolled: 34

OutofState- Applied: 3299 , Interviewed: 449 , Accepted: 434, Enrolled: 168

This is for WVSOM and there are a few other DO schools on there I can check if you would like just let me know.

its been over a month and im still at a decision pending ...called them and they cant give me a defin answer but that it should be "soon" ..sigh

its been over a month and im still at a decision pending ...called them and they cant give me a defin answer but that it should be "soon" ..sigh

great..its only been a week for me here..at least they don't want the supplemental app fee until after the interview invite..

Received a call asking me to contact them about interviewing. Went to voice mail, will have to call back tomorrow. Been complete a month (Give or take a week.)

Received a call asking me to contact them about interviewing. Went to voice mail, will have to call back tomorrow. Been complete a month (Give or take a week.)

congrats..did your status change on their website?

Accepted!! I am stoked

Interviewed 10/19

Total GPA 3.79
BCPM GPA 3.70
MCAT 26P

Why is this thread so inactive?
Did anyone else who had interviews last week hear back for final decision today?
It's strange how only one person is celebrating his or her acceptance.
Mine still says "decision pending" so I guess I was waitlisted...
I got into my in-state school so it's not too much of a damage in my self-esteem, but getting no love from WVSOM still hurts.

Why is this thread so inactive?
Did anyone else who had interviews last week hear back for final decision today?
It's strange how only one person is celebrating his or her acceptance.
Mine still says "decision pending" so I guess I was waitlisted...
I got into my in-state school so it's not too much of a damage in my self-esteem, but getting no love from WVSOM still hurts.

how many interviewed?

Tears of joy!!! Accepted :D
Words cannot describe how happy I am.
I interviewed Friday 10/21. There were 9 of us interviewing that day. Good luck to those in my group and to everyone else on this thread as well.

Tears of joy!!! Accepted :D
Words cannot describe how happy I am.
I interviewed Friday 10/21. There were 9 of us interviewing that day. Good luck to those in my group and to everyone else on this thread as well.

Congrats !! How long did you wait between login and interview invite?

decision deferred ..pretty disappointed/upset over this ..I had high hopes for WV ..

Would anyone be willing to share why WVSOM is a top choice school for them? I've heard wonderful things about the care that exists between the classmates and faculty at WVSOM, which is my primary reason, but I was curious to hear from others on here.

Also, I know WVSOM emphasizes training physicians to serve and practice West Virginia, but does anyone know a percentage of students that end up practicing outside of West Virginia?

decision deferred ..pretty disappointed/upset over this ..I had high hopes for WV ..

Sorry to hear about your status. It's not over yet though, decision deferred is not an outright rejection so there is still hope. You may just need to be proactive later in the cycle to show interest and update them on your recent accomplishments if this is a top choice for you.

The wonderful things you hear about the relationships between classmates, faculty and administration are all true. We have had some unfortunate situations this year and the students, faculty and administrators are stronger than ever. That was one of the reasons that I wanted to come to WVSOM. Other reasons why this school was a top choice for me was because of the beautiful campus, provided luxurious amenities (free printing, some free books, picking your own desk, clean facilities, awesome gym, cottonelle toilet paper, free candy everywhere), technological advancement, and obviously, osteopathic medicine.

Most students at WVSOM are actually out of state. While they do emphasize primary, rural care, particularly in West Virginia, they do not expect you to stay in the state. If you are looking for a solid number, talk to admissions--they might be able to direct you to an administrator (maybe Dr. Pence's office?) with a better idea.

Would anyone be willing to share why WVSOM is a top choice school for them? I've heard wonderful things about the care that exists between the classmates and faculty at WVSOM, which is my primary reason, but I was curious to hear from others on here.

Also, I know WVSOM emphasizes training physicians to serve and practice West Virginia, but does anyone know a percentage of students that end up practicing outside of West Virginia?

Don't know if most of you know this, but some books for your first year are provided with your tuition, granted they are only online. You only need to purchase biochemistry (although, IMO you don't need it), physiology, OPP, Clinical Skills and anatomy books. Pathology and immunology (I think it's immuno) are free online. Pharmacology doesn't require one. Some of the other little courses might require you to purchase a small text (will be less than $50). You also get a free subscription to MD Consult, Up to Date, R2, etc.

Don't know if most of you know this, but some books for your first year are provided with your tuition, granted they are only online. You only need to purchase biochemistry (although, IMO you don't need it), physiology, OPP, Clinical Skills and anatomy books. Pathology and immunology (I think it's immuno) are free online. Pharmacology doesn't require one. Some of the other little courses might require you to purchase a small text (will be less than $50). You also get a free subscription to MD Consult, Up to Date, R2, etc.

Awesome. Thanks for the money-saving tips!!

Retro -

Call and doublecheck with admissions about "decision deferred" that they have everything they need. I know a number of people who interviewed but even by interview some part of their file was incomplete --waiting on a letter or something. So see if they need any further information from you.

Kate

Stewartritt-

Here's the scoop. Last year more students accepted admission than they had anticipated and they ended up overenrolled by about 14 more than there is room for in the main classroom. They started the year with overflow seating piping in the lecture to the old first year classroom. But a lot of students end up being "home-based learners" ---ie, not coming to class much but listening to the lectures with the handouts (they supply powerpoint handouts for all the lectures in your mailbox). So in a couple weeks there was plenty of room in the main classroom for everyone that wanted to come to class.

However, what historically happens (according to one of the professors on the admissions committee that I was talking with Friday), is that anyone they ask to interview they are pretty interested in. If all 10 students interviewing one day do well in their interviews (no red flags), they might accept most or all of them. They have rolling admissions. So anyone interviewing later in the cycle (after December) is more likely to be waitlisted because they may already have acceptances filling the available spaces.

Is the January MCAT a retake? I'd ask if that was what they were waiting on, because that would put you late in their cycle.

Kate

Waffledoc -

Regarding the curriculum (I'm a current student and was on the curriculum committee last year...that's right, they get student input!)...it is CURRENTLY system's based. They used to have TWO tracks - PBL (problem-based learning) and SBL (systems-based learning). They eliminated PBL (probably what you heard about the "transition" to SBL) as the students did not do AS well on boards. The system's based curriculum involves, in second year particularly, learning, for example, the CV system. The anatomy instructor(s) will start with a brief review of anatomy from 1st year. The physiology prof will review (in one hour) the physiology of the CV system. An internist or other clinical faculty will present the diseases, how they present clinically, tests, treatments, etc. The pharmacology prof will teach the pharm. Infectious disease or microbiologist will cover pathogens. Radiologist will teach imaging, etc. The great thing is that they coordinate all the info, and sit in on each others lectures (and comment, sometimes!), so it is well connected.

They have incorporated a lot of "case-based learning" into the curriculum. Case studies are used to add more of a discussion format and work on applying the material (as you have to do on COMLEX, and in clinical practice. There are also small group case-based learning activities (which I think are fabulous and add a lot to my learning). So, given a presentation, what is your differential for what might be wrong with them? Which tests could you use to check for each of your differential diagnoses? What order might you do them in and why? What would be your medical management?

They respond very quickly to student feedback and "tweak" courses, even in progress, to make them better.

Kate