May 15th Countdown.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not really looking forward to May 15th. I am just tired of being disappointed. I am preetty sure there will be bunch of people screaming out acceptances and I ll be screaming in front of my computer. LOL That last sentence actually made me laugh. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not really looking forward to May 15th. I am just tired of being disappointed. I am preetty sure there will be bunch of people screaming out acceptances and I ll be screaming in front of my computer. LOL That last sentence actually made me laugh. :laugh:

that right there is my worst fear! I have been very disappointed this cycle... over and over... wouldn't be surprised if another disappointment follows May 15 :(

I am not really looking forward to May 15th. I am just tired of being disappointed. I am preetty sure there will be bunch of people screaming out acceptances and I ll be screaming in front of my computer.

Same here. I feel like my two schools have already stuck a fork in me and I'm basically done. I'm going to continue to update my schools because I'm not going to give up, but I do feel like it's over for me (for this app cycle).

Plus, I feel like most of the waitlist movement for my schools occurs before May 15 anyways; so after May 15, the chances have diminished significantly. I'm just prepping for my MCAT again :):)mad:!!!!!) and preparing my AMCAS for the next cycle.

Sorry to sound negative, but I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. Another year, *sigh*

On a more positive note, I wish everyone here the best of luck and hopefully something miraculous happens! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So would everyone agree that it's pretty pointless to send in updates/LOIs/recommendations AFTER a waitlist is ranked? It just doesn't seem like the ADCOM is going to meet periodically after they have ranked the waitlist. Thoughts?

I think its pointless if it is already ranked. If it wasn't ranked it would be worth it. But point of ranking a waitlist is they don't want to keep reviewing apps. they've done their review and know what order they want the applicants in.

I know at UCF its completely useless after its been ranked. Same is true at FSU and USF for sure.

Yeah, I figured as much. Would you also agree that most of the WL movement (in general) happens in May, with fewer and fewer acceptances being given out in June and July? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect in the coming weeks.

I think most movement happens in the first three weeks of May...and then slows down heavily by june/july

Just found out one of my schools is already accepting from the second quartile of the waitlist!! Now does that mean that more people are withdrawing, or that they are just doing so earlier than the deadline?? Here's hoping to more procrastinators and HUGE movement after May 16th. :thumbup:

I think most movement happens in the first three weeks of May...and then slows down heavily by june/july

I agree with this.

It seems like most of the movement would occur before May 15 because people are dropping their acceptances at a gradual rate prior to May 15. It's not like everyone with multiple acceptances waits until May 15 to choose one school, and then the waitlist starts rolling all of a sudden. Most people probably drop their acceptances around mid-late April (meaning most waitlist movement in early May), with few waiting until mid-May (meaning less waitlist movement after May 15).

The latter part of the quoted comment is definitely true. Waitlist movement is very slow in the later parts of June and July.

Of course, some schools have specific policies/practices so this may not apply. As previously mentioned, Florida schools may be different.

Rebuttals are encouraged.

I agree with this.

It seems like most of the movement would occur before May 15 because people are dropping their acceptances at a gradual rate prior to May 15. It's not like everyone with multiple acceptances waits until May 14 to choose one school, and then the waitlist starts rolling all of a sudden. Most people probably drop their acceptances around mid-late April (meaning most waitlist movement in early May), with few waiting until mid-May (meaning less waitlist movement after May 15).

The latter part of the comment is definitely true. Waitlist movement is very slow in the later parts of June and July. As previously mentioned, Florida schools may be different.

Of course, some schools have specific policies/practices so this may not apply.

Rebuttals are encouraged.

I think it's post-may 15 that most movement occurs. It's possible for some to occur before, if enough people with offers formally withdraw and there are now open spots in the class.

But what happens is that even if a person decides long before May 15, they may not actually withdraw from all other schools up until the last minute, as students often hold on to their 8 acceptances like trophies (i'm quoting a dean of admissions who said this). So I think you're right that most students pretty much decide by the end of April, and send that deposit in to their top choice, but it doesn't necessarily translate into them withdrawing other offers just yet.

In this scenario, it's risky for a school to start heavily dipping in the waitlist, even if they have a very good rough idea of what the class is looking like, as a lot can happen in the final days, and all deans fear the prospect of over-enrolling, since it really screws up rotations/class schedules.

Last edited:
I think it's post-may 15 that most movement occurs. It's possible for some to occur before, if enough people with offers formally withdraw and there are now open spots in the class.

But what happens is that even if a person decides long before May 15, they may not actually withdraw from all other schools up until the last minute, as students often hold on to their 8 acceptances like trophies (i'm quoting a dean of admissions who said this). So I think you're right that most students pretty much decide by the end of April, and send that deposit in to their top choice, but it doesn't necessarily translate into them withdrawing other offers just yet.

In this scenario, it's risky for a school to start heavily dipping in the waitlist, even if they have a very good rough idea of what the class is looking like, as a lot can happen in the final days, and all deans fear the prospect of over-enrolling, since it really screws up rotations/class schedules.

I understand what your saying, but I don't know how many students actually hold on to their acceptances until May 15, nor do I understand the purpose of doing that. As you mentioned, maybe it's the "trophy theory"; I don't know.

I suppose I am basing my logic on what I would do if I had that many acceptances, which may not be the right thing to do.

But like I said, I get where your coming from. I just feel like there is too much hype surrounding May 15, as if all of a sudden the gates finally open and acceptances fly through.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying, but I don't know how many students actually hold on to their acceptances until May 15, nor do I understand the purpose of doing that. As you mentioned, maybe it's the "trophy theory"; I don't know.

I suppose I am basing my logic on what I would do if I had that many acceptances, which may not be the right thing to do.

But like I said, I get where your coming from. I just feel like there is too much hype surrounding May 15, as if all of a sudden the gates finally open and acceptances fly through.

because of the few threads I have looked at from past years, UCSF specifically, vast majority of waitlist movement occured at around may 20th and in fact, no one on SDN posted a wait list acceptance before may 20th, in the UCSF thread

because of the few threads I have looked at from past years, UCSF specifically, vast majority of waitlist movement occured at around may 20th and in fact, no one on SDN posted a wait list acceptance before may 20th, in the UCSF thread

Absolutely. I do believe part of this is school specific.

I held on to mine until earlier this week only because I felt like if I gave them up something could happen to the one I'm planning on attending and I'd be SOL. But I hope one of you guys gets my spot at the other 3.

I'd probably drop my current acceptance for either of my waitlists right now so I've got my fingers crossed like the rest of you.

And for anyone who has no acceptances, if you feel like you've made big changes in the past year, then get that AMCAS in ASAP just in case the waitlist doesnt work out. This time last year I was on two waitlists and submitted my app the day it opened still. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I held onto my acceptances until financial aid packages started rolling in. just yesterday, one school offered me money, so I'm waiting to hear back from school #2 if they can match.

but of course, I'd attend the school I'm waitlisted at in a heartbeat!

It's May 6th! 9 or 10 more days until the movement starts!

I hope what you guys are saying is true that there will a lot of movement in the second half of May but just in case I am also setting up for another cycle :(

I'm antzy Mcpantzy right now. Even more so because I have a feeling schools won't actually let us know immediately on May 15th =p. I think it'll prolly take schools a few days to get their acts together before people really start hearing back.

I'm antzy Mcpantzy right now. Even more so because I have a feeling schools won't actually let us know immediately on May 15th =p. I think it'll prolly take schools a few days to get their acts together before people really start hearing back.

Yeah some schools start notifying students like two days after the deadline while others may take a little longer. I expect for some schools to start notifying students on May 18 (2 days after May 16).

I have a question. I had accepted a spot at a DO school, but after recently getting into my top choice from the WL (which is a MD), I still am waiting to receive the deposit fee and wanted to wait until I paid for it before removing my seat from the other school. Do I need to withdraw from the DO school before May 15 or does that rule not apply to them? And even if it "technically" is okay, will it look bad on my part that I had 2 acceptances after May 15?

Yeah, it seems like there is a flurry of activity in the few days before May 15th and the few weeks after, as waitlists around the country all begin to move. I'm sure the speed and onset of the movement changes by school, but most of us probably have a few crazy weeks ahead of us!

I have a question. I had accepted a spot at a DO school, but after recently getting into my top choice from the WL (which is a MD), I still am waiting to receive the deposit fee and wanted to wait until I paid for it before removing my seat from the other school. Do I need to withdraw from the DO school before May 15 or does that rule not apply to them? And even if it "technically" is okay, will it look bad on my part that I had 2 acceptances after May 15?

I believe the two systems are blind to eachother, so I don't think it would be a problem. As far as I am aware, there is no national decision day for osteopathic schools (I looked at the AACOM website), so you should be able to to hold onto the DO acceptance for a while if you need to.

I would call the DO and the MD school to double check, though.

I believe the two systems are blind to eachother, so I don't think it would be a problem. As far as I am aware, there is no national decision day for osteopathic schools (I looked at the AACOM website), so you should be able to to hold onto the DO acceptance for a while if you need to.

I would call the DO and the MD school to double check, though.

Okay thanks I'll do that.

And for those of you still waiting good luck and I hope that you all get accepted to the schools that you are waiting to hear back from! :)

Are there any stats on how many people currently have acceptances from years past? In other words a stat like 5500 people hold 8000 spots. I ask because it seems like everyone I speak with has 4+ acceptances!

Are there any stats on how many people currently have acceptances from years past? In other words a stat like 5500 people hold 8000 spots. I ask because it seems like everyone I speak with has 4+ acceptances!

this...

on a side note. I was bored and just surfing through random MDapps from the other thread. For those who extensively update their profiles, you'd be shocked at the number who were formally withdrawing May 10-May 14. This gives me hope that lots of people will do the same at my school, hence opening up some major spots.

Last edited:
there has been some movement at one of my wait list schools, 3 ppl got accepted over the last 2 days...so it is starting to move

trying to keep busy!!!

For anyone wondering about the whole "accepting a position off the WL and subsequently holding '2' acceptances post-May 15" thing, this is how it was explained to me:

If school A decides to accept you off a waitlist, and you are already accepted at school B, then school A has to notify school B that you have been admitted off their waitlist. If you decide to enroll in school A, you don't have to worry about filling out the paperwork for that first and holding 2 acceptances for a short while - school B knows what's going on :)

Good luck everyone!

Accepted guys!!! I guess I wont need to scream in front of my computer from now on. :) Now that I wont have to feed BS to adcoms, I can really look forward to nice relaxing summer. I wish best of luck to everyone here. I have a feeling that everyone will be accepted on this thread!!

Accepted guys!!! I guess I wont need to scream in front of my computer from now on. :) Now that I wont have to feed BS to adcoms, I can really look forward to nice relaxing summer. I wish best of luck to everyone here. I have a feeling that everyone will be accepted on this thread!!

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Hope that means pessimism pays off :D :D CONGRATS!

congrats to all of you. now we keep our fingers and toes crossed for the rest of us:xf:

I spoke to one of my schools today (well the admission staff) and they mentioned that the 15th is actually a SOFT deadline! often ppl will still hold more then one spot b/c they are waiting for financial packages and it can take upto 4 solid weeks before they have a good sense of things. Having said that, it seems that the 15th is just start of the move on the waitlist..but it can often go for many weeks...

I spoke to one of my schools today (well the admission staff) and they mentioned that the 15th is actually a SOFT deadline! often ppl will still hold more then one spot b/c they are waiting for financial packages and it can take upto 4 solid weeks before they have a good sense of things. Having said that, it seems that the 15th is just start of the move on the waitlist..but it can often go for many weeks...

this is probably the exception, rather than the rule, but it is mentioned in the traffic rules:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html

6. After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each school or program implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs. These procedures:
a. May require applicants to:
1. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.
2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
c. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' or programs' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school or program."

also, as Raffle McAntsy Pants, mentioned, there's gonna be some lag time.

For anyone wondering about the whole "accepting a position off the WL and subsequently holding '2' acceptances post-May 15" thing, this is how it was explained to me:

If school A decides to accept you off a waitlist, and you are already accepted at school B, then school A has to notify school B that you have been admitted off their waitlist. If you decide to enroll in school A, you don't have to worry about filling out the paperwork for that first and holding 2 acceptances for a short while - school B knows what's going on :)

Good luck everyone!

Yes, AKA Traffic rule 8.

8. After June 1, May 15 for MD-PhD programs, any school that plans to make an acceptance offer to an applicant already known to have been accepted by another school or program for that entering class ensure that the other school or program is advised of this offer at the time that the offer is made. This notification should be made immediately by telephone and promptly thereafter by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods. Schools and programs should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to minimize inter-school miscommunication and misunderstanding, as well as the possibility of unintended vacant positions in a school's first-year entering class.

happy Friday the 13th!

I've never wanted it to be Monday so bad during a Friday...it's a weird feeling, hope everyone can enjoy their weekend and not be too anxious!

happy Friday the 13th!

I've never wanted it to be Monday so bad during a Friday...it's a weird feeling, hope everyone can enjoy their weekend and not be too anxious!

Eek its Friday the 13th? Isn't that unlucky? :laugh: :laugh:

3 days to go in keeping with the countdown. :D

Wish you guys the best of luck, many of you contribute greatly to the boards...

God speed !

Does anyone know if all schools do phone calls or if some only do emails?

I+know+that+feel+bro.png

Accepted today at 8AM:soexcited:. Can not believe it. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to SDN.

I am a re-applicant and had a very humbling year in 09-10. For those who are having a rough cycle, stay persistent guys :)

Accepted today at 8AM:soexcited:. Can not believe it. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to SDN.

I am a re-applicant and had a very humbling year in 09-10. For those who are having a rough cycle, stay persistent guys :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglove:

congrats!!!!!! clearly Friday the 13th is a lucky day for you!! :)

acceptance on fri the 13??? That's a good look right there :thumbup:

I want to be you!!!!!

happy Friday the 13th!

+1

Yeah, I was thinking earlier how it was going to be a "long" weekend. Then immediately realized how weird it sounded.

+1

Yeah, I was thinking earlier how it was going to be a "long" weekend. Then immediately realized how weird it sounded.

I am going to join the countdown group.
I have been checking studentdoc forum multiple times and feeling more and more anxious today. This is not healthy. Please accept me already...:luck: