May 15th Countdown.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel May 15th is quite far away, BUT when May hits then it should feel faster!

does waitlist movement generally happen rapidly that week after sun may 15? For some reason I thought it takes time to process deposits etc, re-open files, and we would only hear back the next week (week of may 22)

Members don't see this ad.

does waitlist movement generally happen rapidly that week after sun may 15? For some reason I thought it takes time to process deposits etc, re-open files, and we would only hear back the next week (week of may 22)

Some schools will not offer waitlisted candidates positions that people withdrew from until around May 15 -- meaning that some people could get off the waitlist before that date. It really depends on the school.

I think it goes pretty quickly. Over the years I've seen my friends and several others through this process. as a result i've seen the trends in waitlist movement when they were in this dilemma.

So I've seen that at many places (i.e. USF and other Florida schools) there was movement in like literally 1-2 days post May 15th and often times even a bit of movement prior to May 15th. This happens more easily when there are ranked waitlists where they are not reevaluating everyone again.

I tend to think an unranked waitlist would take longer to process and make further decisions on then a ranked one.

Schools like USF, UCF, and now UF use a ranked waitlist. This makes deciding who gets off waitlist already set in stone. Therefore, it becomes a matter of making calls to the next person on the list when one person withdraws. This is rather efficient and makes movement quicker at such schools.

I know years ago friends got off waitlists like literally within 1-2 days post May 15th at USF med. I also knew several who got off within a few weeks before may 15th in this part of april we are in now i.e. 2nd half of april.

Even at UCF, there were at least 5 who got off waitlist prior to 2nd look just this past year. So there's definitely movement before may but most of it happens after that deadline as a lot of people wait til last min. for making their decision.

But at schools which are still reviewing waitlisted candidates, due to being unranked, there will be slower movement.

Good luck. Hope this clears it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Less than 3 weeks! I know I won't be hearing from my schools on the 15th, but at least they will be getting closer to my number on the waitlist.

less than 3 weeks until you can REALLY be nervous all day err day.

Only 19 more days!

Until L.A. Noire comes out. Game looks awesome.

Just doing my part to stay distracted.

lol don't forget movement won't really happen until May 16th b/c May 15 is a Sunday!

I can't wait for us to hit May 14/15. We'll all be going crazy!

lol don't forget movement won't really happen until May 16th b/c May 15 is a Sunday!

I can't wait for us to hit May 14/15. We'll all be going crazy!

Guys today is 29th, so 16 more days.

PS Did anyone watch the royal wedding. I was too fast asleep to contemplate waking up for such.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys today is 29th, so 16 more days.

PS Did anyone watch the royal wedding. I was too fast asleep to contemplate waking up for such.

woohoo! Time to mark another day off on my calender. I actually scheduled a little mini-vacation on that weekend so I don't just spend it silently freaking out at home. I can be silently freaking out somewhere beautiful, instead.

May 15th might as well be a million years away. It is the day of reckoning that will never get here.

May 2nd now! that means officially 2 weeks until may 16th - the starting day of waitlist movement....

May 2nd now! that means officially 2 weeks until may 16th - the starting day of waitlist movement....

2 weeks left.

Anyone watching the coverage or watched the cooverage live yesterday regarding Bin Laden death!!!! FINALLY 10 years later finally the piece of garbage is dead!!!!!!!!!

To quote a friend's friend:

What a wondeful disney weekend here on earth. The girl got her prince, and the bad guy got killed. :)

2 days til I hear from WSU and 14 til movement of waitlist. :)

Only 19 more days!

Until L.A. Noire comes out. Game looks awesome.

Just doing my part to stay distracted.

I keep telling myself that I'm more excited about waitlists moving than la noire, but I can't keep pretending anymore. This game looks amazing.

It's May! Interviews are over so no one new to compete with. People are finally making their final decisions. Time for good news!:xf:

Ohhh yes. Not to be stalkerish, but you interviewed a couple of days before me. =)

Even if we get waitlisted at Wayne... I met up with my friend who is an M1 there who heard back around the same time last year (May 5) and he was waitlisted (then celebrated cinco de mayo, haha). A couple of days later he was accepted... so it all works out in the end!

Amanda11,

1.5 days or so til Wayne state decisions. Let's :xf: :xf:

and 12 days til May 15th. 13 til Monday May 16th. :D :D :D :D :D

YAY

Woohoo! 12 days! I am hanging in there (barely).

Work is super slow for the next couple weeks, so I've decided to start training for a marathon. I need SOMETHING to distract me for the rest of the summer and hopefully I can work off some stress in the meantime.

Woohoo! 12 days! I am hanging in there (barely).

Work is super slow for the next couple weeks, so I've decided to start training for a marathon. I need SOMETHING to distract me for the rest of the summer and hopefully I can work off some stress in the meantime.

Wow! I am just training for a 5K! (First time I've been athletic in my life.) It is definitely helping to have something meaningful to do after work, though. :thumbup:

My workouts have been so hit or miss lately. Some weeks I'm totally on the money and it's a great stress reliever from waiting around and thinking about May 15. yet, some weeks I'm totally unable to properly diet and train 100% because of anticipation for what will come of next year.

My workouts have been so hit or miss lately. Some weeks I'm totally on the money and it's a great stress reliever from waiting around and thinking about May 15. yet, some weeks I'm totally unable to properly diet and train 100% because of anticipation for what will come of next year.

Tell me about it! Stress eating a bunch of easter candy doesn't make a long run very pleasant....

Wow! I am just training for a 5K! (First time I've been athletic in my life.) It is definitely helping to have something meaningful to do after work, though. :thumbup:

me too! I've been athletic but terrible at long distance haha. being sick this week has gotten in the way of training though :(

go 5kers and more!

"Coming soon to a pre-med, it's MAY 16th!!!!"

lol that's what the movie announcer would say to us premeds.

I dont know how many more of these daily "where are you going for med school next year" questions i can take. i have no clue mysel f:(

I dont know how many more of these daily "where are you going for med school next year" questions i can take. i have no clue mysel f:(

+1

I get asked this at least 3 times a day....:(

hopefully we'll be able to give them an answer soon enough

11 days left. 12 technically if it is 16th when movement starts.

trying to keep busy....

the 16th will be a stressful day! (NERVERACKING!) :eek:

11 days left. 12 technically if it is 16th when movement starts.

Then there's the question of how they are going to notify people. At least one of my waitlist schools only uses snail mail, so that's an extra 3-4 days!!

wow I would expect for notification from the waitlist an email or a phone call. Esp since these acceptances are very time sensitive! What if you're on another list and get accepted there first?

Ok, so obviously the AdCom meets to decide whether or not they want to accept, reject, or waitlist an interviewed applicant.

However, how does this work with the Waitlist? Let's assume School X does "not necessarily rank" the waitlist, has 200 people on it, and will accept approximately 20.

Does the AdCom meet again to decide who comes off? Or does the Dean of Admissions review the files and then decide who is accepted off the waitlist?

BTW I am waitlisted now at 2 schools.

2 interviews, 2 waitlists. FML :(

Hopefully good comes this summer but I'm so scared.:scared:

We're all rooting for you, Guju. You've made such a good contribution to the pre-med community that I'm definitely wishing you the best for these 2 waitlists :)

Ok, so obviously the AdCom meets to decide whether or not they want to accept, reject, or waitlist an interviewed applicant.

However, how does this work with the Waitlist? Let's assume School X does "not necessarily rank" the waitlist, has 200 people on it, and will accept approximately 20.

Does the AdCom meet again to decide who comes off the waitlist? Or does the Dean of Admissions review the files and then decide who is accepted off the waitlist?

Does anyone happen to know? :)

If there is no ranking, each school will have its own policy. I know that in some cases it is the dean of admissions, and in others it is the Adcom.

I would sugesst calling and asking

soo if they call and you don't answer what happens? do they leave a message? i will be moving/traveling around that date and am nervous!

soo if they call and you don't answer what happens? do they leave a message? i will be moving/traveling around that date and am nervous!

If you will be traveling/unavailable by phone or email make sure you let the adcoms know of those dates and how you can be contacted within a day or 2.

I think when some schools offer acceptances past the may 15th deadline, they're expecting quick answers, so you may want to check.

Ugh! Snail mail notification seems like the worst! Hopefully they just send the acceptance packet through the USPS and they'll e-mail you the good news.

Ugh! Snail mail notification seems like the worst! Hopefully they just send the acceptance packet through the USPS and they'll e-mail you the good news.

I really don't see the point of snail mailing (except as a secondary/backup option to communicate). It's slower, kills tree, and it's a pain to sort from all the junk mails!