2007 Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DUKE MATCH LIST 2007

Wowza, impressive. Maybe I should reconsider attending Duke...

...anyone have the match list from Baylor, Umich, WashU, or (on the unlikely occasion I need it), UPenn?

Members don't see this ad.

Wowza, impressive. Maybe I should reconsider attending Duke...

...anyone have the match list from Baylor, Umich, WashU, or (on the unlikely occasion I need it), UPenn?

WashU match list from 2002-2006 is on their admissions website I believe.

WashU match list from 2002-2006 is on their admissions website I believe.

Doesn't name programs though, just specialty area. And I'd love to view the most recent...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate it if the ad hominem attacks cease. It doesn't contribute to the argument. Calling someone names doesn't invalidate their point. Just because someone argues a position you don't like doesn't make them elitist.

edit: check out my md apps, i'm at just about the most average school in the country and done some things that require more nads then typing messages anonymously.

What insults? Never said you or anyone else on this thread was an elitist. They do exist, and I'm sure it's coming, though. This is based on my years of being on SDN.

Editing to all that if you think elitist is an insult, you've got some pretty thin skin.

Doesn't name programs though, just specialty area. And I'd love to view the most recent...

Well, technically they have two lists - one that lists matches by program/location and a separate one that lists matches by specialty. I'd like to see a list with both together, but they don't seem to have one. Maybe this year?

Nice...

Actually the statistical correlations were not that strong... if I am not mistaken an R value of .5 is equivalent to random chance (GPA was .54, MCAT was .64 and together it was ~.7, in their data).

well you are mistaken. :smuggrin:

LSU-New Orleans Match List 2007

Attachments

• 2007 Match.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 973
hey stolenspatulas, you asked for some debate here, and then you missed my post. posted again for your pleasure:

Would you please post a "bad" match list? I'd like to compare. Preferably from a school that is higher ranked than Pritzker.

wow. what you are asking from me is forum suicide.

if I dared to say one list was superior to another I will get railed by everyone. You have to realize that. Everyone screams for equality here. Don't you know that all medschools are created equal?

i wouldnt want to supply a list also because it will be defended heartily with 1) regionalism (just want to match nearby, not necessarily the best program) 2) ambitiousness of the students (i have a family and i just want to match into something that gives me ample lifestyle time, etc) 3) selection of students interests (oh this year is just a year where nobody was interested in rads, rad onc, derm, or ortho...its generally not like that) 4,5,6,7, etc forever.

i know all the flaws of looking into match lists for answers. ive been around these forums reading for a while now. they shouldnt be exploited as an indication of a school's awesomeness. however, that does not mean they have zero worth. i think they can be used roughly as an indicator for reputation in this process...

my point is the following (which everyone from the usmle-is-everything camp has side-stepped):

How does prtizker have an excellent matchlist yet does not boast superior USMLE scores?
Potential answers:
1. Their matchlist really isn't that impressive. Is it? Looking at it, it looks pretty impressive generally to me. I do not know all the best residency programs for all the fields, but I think generally I have a good feel for what is known and expected from reputable programs.
2. There must be something else that has made these students more competitive in landing these residency selections... ie, there must be something other than the great equalizer (ahem, USMLE scores). Could it be that they happen to be graduates of Pritzker?

Does anyone have the 2007 University of Utah Match List?

Some guy in post #28 said something and then modified it. You quoted me to take your beef our with him with the implication that I was making the same argument.

Said guy edited post #28. He is sorry to have spawned such a heated debate. I take back what I said.

FWIW, Bagel's school looked like it produced somebody who matched dermatology at Dookter's school. There is plenty of food at the table to go around, and the world isn't as large as it seems.

Thanks to whoever bumped the existing match list thread. Someone with more free time should update the existing one to incorporate the new ones alphabetically.

Regarding Utah, I didn't see one on their website.

2. There must be something else that has made these students more competitive in landing these residency selections... ie, there must be something other than the great equalizer (ahem, USMLE scores). Could it be that they happen to be graduates of Pritzker?

Couldn't it be that the admissions standards for Pritzker are such that the students are qualified both academically and in other ways. Even if the board scores aren't high, the people who were admitted to Pritzker likely have other achievements that are valuable to residency programs. Perhaps research or lengthy extracurricular involvement requiring a large degree of responsibility, motivation, resilience. I'm not saying that the school has absolutely no impact, but I would argue that the role of institution is less important than the kinds of individuals admitted (ie, such students would likely be successful coming out of any med school).

my point is the following (which everyone from the usmle-is-everything camp has side-stepped):

How does prtizker have an excellent matchlist yet does not boast superior USMLE scores?
Potential answers:
1. Their matchlist really isn't that impressive. Is it? Looking at it, it looks pretty impressive generally to me. I do not know all the best residency programs for all the fields, but I think generally I have a good feel for what is known and expected from reputable programs.
My point is simple. You claim for Pritzker has a surprisingly good match list considering their USMLE scores, so therefore, the school's prestige must be helping them. If you can't provide a worse match list for another school with higher USMLE scores and lower prestige, then your claim is completely worthless. You can even PM it to me, if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
My point is simple. You claim for Pritzker has a surprisingly good match list considering their USMLE scores, so therefore, the school's prestige must be helping them. If you can't provide a worse match list for another school with higher USMLE scores and lower prestige, then your claim is completely worthless. You can even PM it to me, if you want.

I will PM it to you.

Florida comes to mind. Word on SDN is that they have a 235 step one average. Great basketball and football, though.

I have no idea about these things -- but perhaps it is analogous to pre-med committees. The success undergrad institutions have in getting kids into good med schools has something to do with the caliber of the student and the name of the institution, but I would say what is even more important is the framework that is set up to help the pre-meds with the process. There are some great schools with brilliant students whose pre-med committees are in shambles, while there are other, also decent schools that have really, really experienced and efficient pre-med committees that prove to be extraordinarily advantageous to the pre-meds at that school. My guess is that it is similar at med schools. That's why reading a match list might mean a little something. If you do want to do a really prestigious residency, then you'll need a lot of advising and hand-holding along the way, and some schools are better at that than others.

School prestige = esteemed professor = great connections = strong letters of recommendations = better chance of getting into desired residency program.
But, then again, this is secondary to step 1 scores, right?

Well, that study was only of students at two med schools, so it's hardly a representative sample of the 125+ schools today. And the MCAT portion of that study was taken in the 90s I believe, so we are talking about a decade of test evolution since then. And the Step 1 exam underwent pretty significant changes a few years back, moving from straightforward pseudo MCAT-like questions to more of an application of concepts "hide the ball" version. As for demographics since the 90s, I'd say it's actually pretty significant - there are many more nontrads, nonsci majors, postbaccers and the like than ever before, and women now constitute the majority at quite a few schools. So I maintain that those studies are interesting, but not tightly applicable.

When you get to med school you are going to see it's a different ballgame. What you accomplished in undergrad got you there, but really doesn't apply any further. Medicine is one of those fields where you have to prove yourself over and over again every step of the way. And believe it or not, being able to make the adjustment to the change in workload and teaching style counts for more than raw intelligence or ability. No point arguing, you will see.

You're right they only had 16,954 applicants and 933 matriculants in their study of 1996-1998 applicants, that's not a big enough data set to make any kinds of inference. You are free to make a critique of any study with but again its the AAMC that is citing it, it agrees with several other studies they cite from previous years, and I don't see any medical schools abandoning the MCAT/GPA stats as a major factor in their decisions because you think there's been a huge change in demographics over the last few years that invalidates the predictive value of these two stats.

Nowhere in this thread has anyone said that they think that they are going to have a cakewalk in med school because of their own success in undergrad/MCAT. You can keep saying that but it only indicates that you have nothing left to argue. My only point has always been that knowing nothing else about a population except their MCAT/GPA, higher stats => higher success as measured by med school grades/Step1. Of course within this population there is plenty of room for instances of higher stat types performing worse then lower stat types--because we don't know anything about the population except those two stats. I have no idea why this is remotely controversial to anyone. Are these two stats completely worthless in predicting success in clinical rotations, internship/residency, or overall abilities as a doctor? Obviously--and again no one has suggested otherwise.

School prestige = esteemed professor = great connections = strong letters of recommendations = better chance of getting into desired residency program.
But, then again, this is secondary to step 1 scores, right?

yes, step 1 scores are what are used to get people's feet in the doors. from there, then eeverything else comes into play.

do a google search for the AAMC 2005 match outcomes...they give the general range of step 1 scores for each specialty. the specialty with the highest board score averages for people who matched into it was plastic surgery.

so lets say someone has a step 1 score of 200(way below the range of scores for applicants who match into plastics), then it is highly unlikely for that candidate to get into that specialty. it doesnt matter if they are from hopkins or podunk med school.

there is so much argument back and forth about whether reputation does anything. It is kinda frustrating to read because both parties seem to support both extremes. The truth lies in the middle really. "Reputation" does indeed help people. However, if your board score is not in the competitive range for a particularly specialty, then it won't help much. for example...a classmate of mine did not do so well on step 1 and step 2 and applied for neurosurgery...well the northwestern name really didnt help them because she couldnt even get interviews because her board scores were so low.(she got a few(less than 5) interviews but they were at the lesser known neurosurgery programs).

With that said...if two people had similar board scores(and assuming their applications were identical; identical grades, letters that say the same thing, same number of publications, identical interview scores etc.) but one student went to podunk med school with a board score of 250 and the other went to hopkins with a board score of 240...well...the program director may likely go with the hopkins candidate.

so univ of chicago has average step scores...realize that having the national average for step 1 scores(215), that that step 1 score of 215 actually falls within the range for the majority of specialties. granted, in some specialties a score of 215 is on the low end and in some specialties 215 is above the mean for that specialty. as long as the UofC student's step 1 score is in the range for a particular specialty, he or she will probably get interviews in those fields. obviously, the higher the step 1 average for a specialty, the less interviews(or more interviews at less competitive programs) that that UofC student with a 215 will get.

the question is...how much does the UofC name help make up for a mediocre or average step 1 score? i think that is tough to say. it depends on the specialty. And going to a top 10 school in no way guarantees that you will match in any specialty of your choosing. one must still score somewhat in the range of step 1 scores for that specialty to get looks and interview invitations. i dont care if you are from UofC, if you score a 195 on step 1, there is a very very slim chance you will get into derm. you need your step 1 score to get your foot in the door for an interview. after that, the score will not help you as much as other aspects of your application. how much your school's rep counts can vary once you have secured an interview.

does that make sense?

What insults? Never said you or anyone else on this thread was an elitist. They do exist, and I'm sure it's coming, though. This is based on my years of being on SDN.

Editing to all that if you think elitist is an insult, you've got some pretty thin skin.

If your message wasn't aimed at me I take above back.

Matching at your #1 or #2 is also not a vaild statistic, because you cannot (or do not) rank schools that you don't interview at. So, if going into the process, your top choice is Harvard, followed by Hopkins, Yale, Duke, UCSF, etc, etc and none of them offer you interviews, you're not going to rank them. Podunk-crappiest-program-out-there could be the #1 on your list if it's the only school that interviews you. Likewise, someone who had lots of interviews at fantastic places could go way down on their list and still end up at a really great program.

Yeah, that's me. PhD, and got #13 on my list. Kind of bitter. Still a great program...just nowhere near my aging grandparents.

Okay does anybody have MUSC's match list for this year?

Also does anyone know if people matched into MUSC's EM program, it was its first year.

Couldn't it be that the admissions standards for Pritzker are such that the students are qualified both academically and in other ways. Even if the board scores aren't high, the people who were admitted to Pritzker likely have other achievements that are valuable to residency programs. Perhaps research or lengthy extracurricular involvement requiring a large degree of responsibility, motivation, resilience. I'm not saying that the school has absolutely no impact, but I would argue that the role of institution is less important than the kinds of individuals admitted (ie, such students would likely be successful coming out of any med school).

I'm a just-matched fourth year at Pritzker. For those of you who are interested in why Pritzker's match list looks so good given their average STEP 1 scores, here are my thoughts:
1. The AdCom is more meticulous in who they select for admission than most medical schools. They get waaay beyond MCAT/GPA scores. The interview day at Pritzker is long and for good reason. This gives both applicant and Pritzker a better chance to find out what each other is all about. The result is an amazing collection of MS I students each fall. Four years later, the same amazing collection of MS IV students apply for residency. In short, my classmates are awesome, it comes as no surprise to me that they matched so well.
2. Pritzker applicants to competitive specialties get the scores they need, even if the overall class average is not amazing. Those going into plastics, derm, ENT, ortho, etc. get the scores they need to get interviews in those specialties.
3. Pritzker does not 'teach to the boards'. Imagine you're a program director and you have two otherwise identical applicants. Both have, let's suppose, a STEP 1 of 230, but one of them attended a school which 'teaches to the boards' and the other does not. The applicant who got a 230 despite not being spoon-fed board-style questions will look more attractive.
4. It's not the reputation of the school, it's the reputation of Pritzker's graduates. Historically, Pritzker graduates have been highly successful and well-liked at their residency programs and program directors want more of the same. One program director during interviews asked me if I was AOA. After I told him I was not, he replied, "That's okay, some of our best residents in the past have been non-AOA from the University of Chicago." It's not the reputation of the school, it's the reputation of the school's graduates.
5. Lots of students take an extra year to do research or get a second degree (MBA, MPH). Having that on a residency application really sets those applicants apart. I suspect there are more of these applicants coming out of Pritzker than other schools, but I could be wrong.
6. There are tons of research opportunities here and it gets pushed rather heavily. You don't have to do research, but if you do, like #5, research can set you apart from other applicants.

Just my thoughts...

NYMC Match List:
Sorry in advance for the formatting it was a pain

Family Practice (7):
Contra Costa County-CA
Memorial Hosp. of Rhode Island Brown - RI
Montefiore/Einstein Affil. Hosps Einstein - (Yeshiva)
Shadyside Hospital Pittsburgh, Univ. - PA
Swedish Hosp. Med. Ctr. Washington - Seattle
UVM/Fletcher Allen Vermont - Burlington
White Memorial Med Ctr Loma Linda - CA

Pediatrics (24):
Children's Hosp. of Orange Co. (2) California - L.A.
Childrens Hosp. Natl. Med. Ctr. George Washington - DC
Childrens Hospital Oakland (2) California, S.F.
Childrens Memorial Hospital Northwestern - Chicago
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp MC-OH Cincinnati - OH
Jackson Memorial Hospital Miami - FL
Loma Linda Univ. Med. Center Loma Linda - CA
Montefiore/Einstein Affil. Hosps (2) Einstein - (Yeshiva)
New England Medical Ctr. Hosp. Tufts - Boston
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY (3) Einstein
NY Med. Coll. - West. Co. Med. C (2) New York Med. Coll.
NYP Hosp-Colum Presby-NY Columbia P&S - NY
Stony Brook Teaching Hosps. S.U.N.Y. - Stony Brook SUNY at Buffalo Grad. Med./Dent. S.U.N.Y. - Buffalo
U.C.L.A. Medical Center California - L.A.
Univ. of CA-Irvine Medical Cente California - Irvine
USC Med Center Southern California

Internal Medicine (42):
Albany Medical College Albany - NY
Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr Harvard - MA
Beth Israel Medical Center Einstein │
Emory Univ. School of Medicine Emory - GA
Georgetown University Hospital Georgetown - DC
Greenwich Hospital Yale - CT
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr California - L.A.
Hennepin County Medical Ctr. Minnesota - Minneapoli
Kaiser Perman. Med. Ctr. LA/CA
Long Island Jewish Med. Ctr. Einstein
Maine Medical Center Vermont - Burlington
Mayo Graduate School of Med. Mayo Medical - MN
North Shore University Hosp. New York University
NY Med. Coll. - West. Co. Med. C New York Med. Coll.
Olive View Medical Center California - L.A.
Olive View Medical Center California - L.A.
Oregon Health & Science Univ. Oregon - Portland
Santa Clara Valley Med. Ctr. Stanford, CA
St. Vincents Hosp - Manh New York Med. Coll.
Stony Brook Teaching Hosps. S.U.N.Y. - Stony Brook
The Mount Sinai Hospital Mount Sinai - NY
The New York Hosp. Cornell Cornell - NY
The Staten Island U Hospital S.U.N.Y. - H.S.C. at B
U Rochester/Strong Memorial Rochester - NY
U.W. Hospital and Clinics Wisconsin - Madison
Univ North Carolina Sch of Med North Carolina - Chape
Univ of Hawaii Hawaii - Honolulu
Univ. of Michigan Hosps. Michigan - Ann Arbor
USC Med Center Southern California -
Yale Univ Sch of Med Yale - CT

Dermatology (1):
Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-N

Neurology (8):
New England Med Ctr-MA
Westchester Med Ctr-NY
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
UMDNJ-New Jersey Med-Newark
Univ North Carolina Hospitals
UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
U Maryland Med Ctr

Opthomology (3):
Univ of California - San Diego
NYMC Brooklyn & Queens
U Miami/Bascom Palmer

Psych (3):
Naval Medical Center
St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hosp. Ctr. Columbia P&S - NY

Ob/Gyn (14):
Long Island College Hospital Einstein - (Yeshiva)
Mercy Hospital & Med. Ctr. Illinois - Chicago │
San Diego Naval Med Center California, S.D.
St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hosp. Ctr. Columbia P&S - NY
Stony Brook Teaching Hosps. S.U.N.Y. - Stony Brook
UC San Francisco-Fresno California, S.F.
Univ of Hawaii Hawaii - Honolulu
Univ. of Chicago Hospitals Chicago-Pritzker - IL
Univ. of Colorado Sch. of Med. Colorado - Denver
Univ. of Washington Med Ctr Washington - Seattle
White Memorial Med Ctr Loma Linda - CA

General Surgery (14):
Beth Israel Deaconess Med Ctr Harvard - MA
Good Samaritan Medical Ctr. Arizona - Tuscon
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr California - L.A.
New England Medical Ctr. Hosp. Tufts - Boston
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Einstein
North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY Einstein
St. Vincents Hosp - Manh New York Med. Coll. -
St. Vincents Hosp - Manh New York Med. Coll. -
Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii - Honolulu
Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii - Honolulu
UMDNJ-Robert W. Johnson Med. Sch UMDNJ, R.W.Johnson
Virginia Mason Hosp. Washington - Seattle

Neurosurgery (2):
Loyola University Med. Center Stritch - Loyola - IL
Univ. Hosp. of Cleveland Case Western Reserve

Orthopedics (3):
NY Med. Coll. - West. Co. Med. C New York Med. Coll.
Univ. of Chicago Hospitals Chicago-Pritzker - IL
Yale Univ Sch of Med Yale - CT

ENT (3):
Montefiore/Einstein Affil. Hosps Einstein - (Yeshiva) │
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary New York Med. Coll.
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY S.U.N.Y. - H.S.C.

Urology (1):
Univ. of CA-Irvine Medical Cente California - Irvine

Pathology (2):
NYP Hosp-Colum Presby-NY Columbia P&S - NY
New York Hosp. Cornell Cornell - NY

ER (14):
Beth Israel Medical Center Einstein
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY
Morristown Memorial Hosp. Columbia P&S - NY
SUNY at Buffalo Grad. Med./Dent. S.U.N.Y. - Buffalo
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY S.U.N.Y. - H.S.C. at B
The Methodist Hospital S.U.N.Y. - H.S.C. at B
UF Coll of Med-Jacksonville Florida - Gainsville Emergency Univ. of CA-Davis Med. Ctr. California - Davis
Washington Hospital Center George Washington - DC

Gas (11):
UC San Francisco-CA
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
U Washington Affil Hosps
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Westchester Med Ctr-NY
Stanford Univ Progs-CA
UMDNJ, New Jersey Med. Anesthesiology
U Maryland Med Ctr
U Southern California
Wayne State Univ./Detroit Med. C

PMR (1):
Stanford

Diagnostic Radiology (21):
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr-N
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Maricopa Med Ctr-AZ
Beth Israel Med Ctr-NY
Westchester Med Ctr-NY
UC Davis Med Ctr-Sac-CA
U Southern California
N Shore U-Manhasset-NY
Harlem Hospital Ctr-NY
Westchester Med Ctr-NY
Long Island Coll Hosp-NY
Santa Barbara Cottage Hosp-CA
U Washington Affil Hosps
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
U Southern California
Westchester Med Ctr-NY
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
Norwalk Hospital-CT
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Albany Med Ctr Hosp-NY

Radiation Oncology (1):
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL

Medicine-Pediatrics (1):

Child Neurology - (1):
Albert Einstein Coll. Med.

Anesthesiology (10)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
UC San Francisco-CA
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

Dermatology (8)
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Hosp of the Univ of PA (4yr Cut Onc)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
NYU School Of Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT

Emergency Medicine (5)
George Washington Univ-DC
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
NY Hosp/Med Ctr Queens
UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA

Family Practice (5)
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY
Sutter Health-CA
Swedish Med Center-WA
Swedish Med Center-WA
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY

General Surgery (3)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA

Internal Medicine or Medicine-Primary (32)
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-CA
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
Emory Univ SOM-GA (research track)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
Johns Hopkins/Bayview-MD
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA
UC San Francisco-CA
UC San Francisco-CA
UC San Francisco-CA
UC San Francisco-CA
University of Virginia

Med-Peds (3)
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
Hosp of the Univ of PA

Obstetrics-Gynecology (6)
Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Pennsylvania Hospital
Hosp of the Univ of PA
UC San Francisco-CA
University of Virginia
Womens & Infants Hosp-RI

Ophthalmology (6)
Johns Hopkins-Wilmer, GBMC
Mass. Eye & Ear Infirmary - MA
Scheie Eye Institute/Univ. Penn
SUNY HSC Stony Brook-NY
University of Southern California
Wills Eye Hospital

Orthopaedic Surgery (6)
Hosp For Special Surg-NY
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
Rush University Med Ctr-IL
Temple Univ Hosp-PA

Otolaryngology (2)
NCC Walter Reed Army Medical Center
UC Davis Med Ctr-CA

Neurology (3)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Massachusetts Gen Hosp

Neurosurgery (3)
Case Western/Univ Hosps Cleveland-OH
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA

Pathology (3)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
UC San Francisco-CA

Pediatrics (23)
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Childrens Hosp Boston-MA
Childrens Hospital-Phila-PA
Childrens Hospital-Phila-PA (Peds Neuro Track)
Childrens Natl Med Ctr-DC
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U
SAUSHEC-Brook Army Medical Center
U Washington Affil Hosps
U Washington Affil Hosps
U Washington Affil Hosps
UC San Francisco-CA
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL

Plastic Surgery (5)
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Hosp of the Univ of PA

Psychiatry (6)
Cambridge Hospital/CHA-MA
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
NYU School Of Medicine
UC San Francisco-CA

Radiation Oncology (4)
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
U Colorado SOM-Denver
U Texas MD Anderson Cancer Ctr

Radiology (12)
Hosp of the Univ of PA (4yr clinical)
Hosp of the Univ of PA (5yr diagnostic)
Hosp of the Univ of PA (5yr diagnostic)
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD
N Shore U-Manhasset-NY
NYU School Of Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine
NYU School Of Medicine
U Iowa Hosp/Clin-Iowa City

Urology (0)

No surprise there - Penn also has a wicked match list!

Noob Question: What is a prelim year? and why do people have to/choose to do it?

Noob Question: What is a prelim year? and why do people have to/choose to do it?

Medical students who apply to the advanced specialties (Anesthesiology, Plastics, Neursurg, etc.) are required to complete one year of broad clinical training (PGY-1). For the prelim year you can choose three options: 1. Preliminary Medicine (similar to the first year of an internal medicine residency) 2. Preliminary Surgery (similar to the first year of a gen. surgery residency) and 3. Transitional Year (schedules vary by hospital and program, but consist of 4 months internal, 1 month EM, 1 month of ambulatory medicine, and the rest are used for electives).

Can someone pls PM me the lists for Tufts and/or WashU with names - I wanted to see where some of my friends matched. I am at USC; ours isn't in PDF format. I'll post it at some point via PDF.

Mayo Clinic College of Medicine Class of 2007

Anesthesiology (3)
Mayo Clinic; Rochester, MN
Medical College of Virginia; Richmond, VA

Dermatology (1)
Cleveland Clinic; Cleveland, OH

Emergency Medicine (3)
Baystate Medical Center; Springfield, MA
Sparrow Hospital; Lansing, MI
University of Arizona Hospitals; Tucson, AZ

Family Practice (7)
Allina Family Residency Program; St. Paul, MN
Exempla St. Joseph Hospital; Denver, CO
St. Mary's Hospital; Denver, CO
University of California, Davis; Sacramento, CA
University of California, San Francisco; San Francisco, CA
USAF Regional Hospital; Eglin Air Force Base, FL

General Surgery (1)
Gunderson Lutheran Health System; LaCrosse, WI

Internal Medicine (5)
Brigham and Women's Hospital; Boston, MA
California Pacific Medical Center; San Francisco, CA
Johns Hopkins Hospital; Baltimore, MD

Neurosurgery (2)

Obstetrics and Gynecology (2)
University of Utah Hospitals; Salt Lake City, UT

Ophthalmology (2)
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute; Miami, FL

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2)

Orthopaedic Surgery (4)
Carolinas Medical Center; Charlotte, NC
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania; Philadelphia, PA
Massachusetts General Hospital - Harvard Combined; Boston, MA

Otolaryngology (2)
University of Chicago Hospitals; Chicago, IL

Pediatrics (5)
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center; Cincinnati, Ohio
SAUSHEC-Brooke Army Medical Center; Ft. Sam Houston, TX
Stanford University Programs; Palo Alto, CA

Pediatric Neurology (1)
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia); New York, NY

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (1)
Temple University Hospital; Philadelphia, PA

Psychiatry (1)
University of Michigan Hospitals; Ann Arbor, MI

Radiology (1)
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center; Winston-Salem, NC

I attend Columbia and I can tell you for a fact that we matched three at Barrow. I believe last year we matched 2.

I attend Columbia and I can tell you for a fact that we matched three at Barrow. I believe last year we matched 2.
Ah, yes, well they don't call it Columbia College of Surgeons and Surgeons for nothing. ;)

Your match list is looking mighty fine, Mayo!

Anyone have the list for Jefferson or GW?

Medical students who apply to the advanced specialties (Anesthesiology, Plastics, Neursurg, etc.) are required to complete one year of broad clinical training (PGY-1). For the prelim year you can choose three options: 1. Preliminary Medicine (similar to the first year of an internal medicine residency) 2. Preliminary Surgery (similar to the first year of a gen. surgery residency) and 3. Transitional Year (schedules vary by hospital and program, but consist of 4 months internal, 1 month EM, 1 month of ambulatory medicine, and the rest are used for electives).

And internal medicine is not an "advanced specialty?" Is it a cave-man specialty?

Mostly true- obviously surgical subspecialties (ophthalmology, urology, etc.) need a surgical preliminary - i.e., a surgical internship - which at some programs can be separate. At others, the entire residency can be 'categorical' meaning that the internship is included. For fields like derm, rad onc, rads, you can do a prelim or a transitional. The prelim can be in medicine or surgery or you can do a transitional, which as NCF states, is a mix of surgery and medicine (more the latter), and then to be cushier. Again, there are categorical programs for some of these fields (U Michigan for radiation) where you have to do your internship at the hospital you're doing your residency at. The whole thing is very confusing that only really becomes clear after you've composed your match list at the NRMP website.

Does that help at all?? :)

Question- Is it any easier to match into your med school's hospital as opposed to trying to match else where?