Let's introduce ourselves!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cici

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start first......I just finished my first year in the clinical psychology program at a Canadian university. My interest is in health psychology and hopefully can pursue research and practice in this area.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from UC Irvine with majors in biochemistry and psychology. I am starting pharmacy school this fall at USC.

I just finished my fourth year of a clinical psych program. I'll be starting med school in the fall and doing sort of a non-traditional MD/PhD program.

joe

Members don't see this ad :)
jojomo,

Could you tell us more about your path to medicine? What made you decide to pursue medicine after receiving graduate training in clinical psychology? Are you interested in psychiatry?

In keeping with the topic of this thread, I have a BA in Psychology, am currently pursuing an MPH, and am interested in psychiatry. I also have an interest in clinical neuropsychology and psychological assessment.

Cheers!

PH

PH,

Before starting graduate school I worked on clinical trials of treatments for PTSD at a clinic in Boston. The PI was a psychiatrist and my supervisor was a clinical psychologist. I worked closely with both of them and learned an incredible amount from both. After a year there I knew that I wanted to pursue both medicine and psychology. I started the clinical psychology program first because I still needed to take some of the pre-req's for med school.

My clinical and research interests focus on the effects of stress on child development and cut across biological and psychological domains. For me, pursuing both degrees will be great preparation for the kind of career I want to have in child psychology and psychiatry.

jojomo,

I sent you a PM.

PH

My name is Madison (obviously), I'm 19, and I just registered today. I'll be starting my senior year of college this fall and graduating with a double major in Psychology and Women's Studies. I plan to be a clinical psychologist.

Welcome to SDN, Madison!

Your undergrad background in psychology and women's studies sounds interesting. Which clinical psychology programs are you considering?

I've read that many students interested in clinical psychology do not apply to grad schools while in college, but gain some experience in the field. Are you planning to apply directly out of college?

PH

Hey guys, I'm going into my junior year in college w/ a major in psychology and a minor in biology. My interests lie within the area clinical neuropsychology and educational psychology, mostly ADD and LD, though I am also interested in traumatic brain injury. I also have interest in neuropsychiatry and developmental pediatrics. I am presently deciding between med school and grad school in clinical/school psychology.

What does a health psychologist do?

What a Health Psychologist Does and How to Become One

Recent advances in psychological, medical, and physiological research have led to a new way of thinking about health and illness. This conceptualization, labeled the Biopsychosocial Model, views health and illness as the product of a combination of factors including biological characteristics (e.g., genetic predisposition), behavioral factors (e.g., lifestyle, stress, health beliefs), and social conditions (e.g., cultural influences, family relationships, social support).

Psychologists who strive to understand how biological, behavioral, and social factors influence health and illness are called health psychologists. The term "health psychology" is often interchanged with the terms "behavioral medicine" or "medical psychology". In contemporary research and medical settings, health psychologists work with many different health care professionals (e.g., physicians, dentists, nurses, physician's assistants, dietitians, social workers, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists, and chaplains) to conduct research and provide clinical assessment and treatment services. Many health psychologists focus on prevention through research and clinical interventions designed to foster health and reduce the risk of disease. While more than half of health psychologists provide clinical services as part of their duties, many health psychologists function in non-clinical roles primarily involving teaching and research.

The Work Setting of a Health Psychologist: Health psychologists participate in health care in a multitude of settings including primary care programs, inpatient medical units, and specialized health care programs such as pain management, rehabilitation, women's health, oncology, smoking cessation, headache management, and various other programs. They also work in colleges and universities, corporations, and for governmental agencies.

Clinical Activities: Assessment approaches often include cognitive and behavioral assessment, psychophysiological assessment, clinical interviews, demographic surveys, objective and projective personality assessment, and various other clinical and research-oriented protocols. Interventions often include stress management, relaxation therapies, biofeedback, psychoeducation about normal and patho-physiological processes, ways to cope with disease, and cognitive-behavioral and other psychotherapeutic interventions. Healthy people are taught preventive health behaviors. Both individual and group interventions are utilized. Frequently, health psychology interventions focus upon buffering the effect of stress on health by promoting enhanced coping or improved social support utilization.

Research: Health psychologists are on the leading edge of research focusing on the biopsychosocial model in areas such as HIV, oncology, psychosomatic illness, compliance with medical regimens, health promotion, and the effect of psychological, social, and cultural factors on numerous specific disease processes (e.g., diabetes, cancer, hypertension and coronary artery disease, chronic pain, and sleep disorders). Research in health psychology examines: the causes and development of illness, methods to help individuals develop healthy lifestyles to promote good health and prevent illness, the treatment people get for their medical problems, the effectiveness with which people cope with and reduce stress and pain, biopsychosocial connections with immune functioning, and factors in the recovery, rehabilitation, and psychosocial adjustment of patients with serious health problems.

Career Opportunities: The opportunities for careers in health psychology in the United States are quite good. Medical settings, particularly medical centers, have greatly expanded their employment of psychologists. Aside from medical centers, health psychologists often work in colleges and universities, medical schools, health maintenance organizations, rehabilitation centers, pain management centers, public health agencies, hospitals, and private consultation/practice offices. In addition to the specific content skills which psychologists offer to patients and staff in the medical community, psychologists' unique training often makes the health psychologist an asset to the medical team with regard to quality assurance methods (making certain that health care is helpful and cost-effective), research, writing, grant-writing, statistical, communication, and team development skills.

Training for Health Psychology Careers: Health psychologists typically hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) in psychology. Applied health psychologists are licensed for the independent practice of psychology in areas such as clinical and counseling psychology, and board certification is available in health psychology through the American Board of Professional Psychology.

Often, psychologists preparing for a career in health psychology obtain general psychology training at the undergraduate and doctoral levels, but then receive specialty training at the postdoctoral or internship level. Some programs have been developed which offer specialized training in health psychology at undergraduate and graduate levels. Here are some specifics of training in health psychology at various levels:

Undergraduate: Health psychology courses are available at about a third of North American colleges and universities. Because of the field's biopsychosocial orientation, students are also encouraged to take courses focusing on abnormal and social psychology, learning processes and behavior therapies, psychophysiology, anatomy and physiology, psychopharmacology, community psychology, and public health.

Graduate: Many doctoral programs in clinical, counseling, social, or experimental psychology have specialized tracks or preceptorships in health psychology. A number of programs now exist in the United States and other countries specifically for doctoral training in health psychology. These programs are quite diverse: some specialize in training students either for research careers or for direct clinical service to patients. Division 38 has a directory of doctoral programs offering training in health psychology, available from the Office of Division Services of the American Psychological Association.

Predoctoral Internships: Clinical and counseling psychologists are required to complete a one-year internship/residency before obtaining their doctorates. Many of these programs offer some training in health psychology. A number of internship programs provide specialized training in health psychology in which at least half of the trainee's time is spent in supervised health psychology activities. Division 38 distributes a directory of health psychology internships, which is linked to its web site, including programs offering major rotations (at least half time health psychology) and minor rotations (less than half time) in health psychology.

Postdoctoral Fellowships: Many university medical centers, universities, health centers, and health psychology programs offer specialized research and/or clinical training in different areas of health psychology. Division 38 has a directory of postdoctoral opportunities in health psychology, linked to its web site.

International Health Psychology Training Opportunities: A directory has been developed under the joint auspices of the Division of Health Psychology and the APA Office of International Affairs. This directory provides information about opportunities in health psychology outside the U.S. and Canada for students, faculty, and practicing professionals. The directory of international health psychology training opportunities is available through the Division Services Office of the American Psychology Association.

Training programs often vary with regard to specific educational emphases, formats and content of formal instruction, research opportunities, and opportunities to engage in supervised clinical training. After obtaining the appropriate directory of training opportunities, it is a good idea to contact specific programs to determine if programs match one's training needs.

To reach the Division Services Office to request materials, write or call:

Division Services
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
(phone: 202-336-6022)

Visit the Division 38 Health Psychology Home Page at www.health-psych.org

Prepared by the Committee on Education and Training, Division 38; Martita Lopez, Chair; Kenneth R. Jones, Subcommittee Chair.

Hey Cici (and other clinical psych grad students),

What kind of research are you (will be) doing? I'm looking at the development of self-regulation (cognition-emotion-arousal interactions) in kids and how it's affected by trauma and chronic stress.

jojomo

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jojomo
Hey Cici (and other clinical psych grad students),

What kind of research are you (will be) doing? I'm looking at the development of self-regulation (cognition-emotion-arousal interactions) in kids and how it's affected by trauma and chronic stress.

jojomo

I'm doing research on patients with chronic kidney disease, looking at how they cope and manage their illness.

Well, this thread is a little "old", but I want to introduce myself, so I'm "reviving" it...

I am currently working on my thesis. I am completing a masters degree in Guidance and Counseling at the state university. (University of Puerto Rico, that is...) My theme is related to using the expressive arts in group counseling with girls who have been sexually abused.

Next august I'm hopefully entering a clinical psych program, so, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to participate in this forum. I think it would be nice to share info and opinions with people not only from mainland USA, but from different parts of the world.

Also, if any of you know about clinical psych forums on the internet, (for students, professionals) let me know.

Medical School has always been on my mind, but I'm currently having so much fun with my psychology classes, I dont think I am going to switch to medical school (not at this particular time of my life ;) ) I think the psych residence in Puerto Rico is more focused on medications only; I really would like to do psychotherapy too)

Nice to meet you all! :)
MTpsych

Sorry if I make mistakes while writing in english, it is not my first language... :(

Welcome MTpsych!!!!! This forum has been so quiet lately and I'm glad that you're joining us! I agree -- clinical psych is a small community and we need to stick together!

MTpsych said:
Well, this thread is a little "old", but I want to introduce myself, so I'm "reviving" it...

I am currently working on my thesis. I am completing a masters degree in Guidance and Counseling at the state university. (University of Puerto Rico, that is...) My theme is related to using the expressive arts in group counseling with girls who have been sexually abused.

Next august I'm hopefully entering a clinical psych program, so, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to participate in this forum. I think it would be nice to share info and opinions with people not only from mainland USA, but from different parts of the world.

Also, if any of you know about clinical psych forums on the internet, (for students, professionals) let me know.

Medical School has always been on my mind, but I'm currently having so much fun with my psychology classes, I dont think I am going to switch to medical school (not at this particular time of my life ;) ) I think the psych residence in Puerto Rico is more focused on medications only; I really would like to do psychotherapy too)

Nice to meet you all! :)
MTpsych

Sorry if I make mistakes while writing in english, it is not my first language... :(

Thank you, cici!

I look forward to actively contribute in this forum. Something must be done, you guys should spread the word about this forum in your psych departments (as Public Health wrote days ago), that way the clinical psych community will grow bigger in this place.

So you are interested in health psychology. Where I live, health psychology is a fellowship done once you finish the phD/PsyD. It's a really interesting (and needed) area.

I've been lurking on studentdoctor since last july, and I have to tell you, I sometimes get envious, you guys have so many opportunities for research, volunteering, concentrations in neuro, child/adolescent, etc. :( Psych hospitals in my island wont accept any volunteers, and research opportunities are very limited. It's very frustrating...

Again, thanks for answering my message. :)

MTpsych

this is my 1st post, so I would like to introduce myself.

i'm a 3rd year undergraduate psychology major at a canadian university, and am interested in pursuing either clinical psychology, developmental psychology or health admininstration/public health for my post-graduate degree.

hopefully through this forum I can learn more about these exciting professions, as well as the people who study them!

Welcome, apricot! :)

Im glad to see the clinical psych community is growing here!

MTpsych

Let's keep this forum alive!

Jojomo discussed his research above, so I thought I would do the same. I am currently working on several projects with substance abusers and pathological gamblers. My main project involves examining neuropsychological functioning in treatment-seeking pathological gamblers. I am also trying to determine how neuropsychological functioning in pathological gamblers is influenced by comorbid psychiatric disorders such as substance use disorders and antisocial personality disorder.

Academically, I recently completed an MPH with a focus in psychiatric epidemiology, and am currently working on a PhD in clinical psychology. Upon completion of the PhD, I plan to enter medical school, and ultimately pursue a career in psychiatry.

Hi all,
I also contribute sporadically. I have just finished (yay!) the first year of my doctoral studies in clinical-developmental psych at a Canadian university. I did my master's in general clinical psych at a different university. My dissertation will examine patterns of cortisol reactivity to stress in children treated for aggressive behaviour and their mothers. I still haven't decided whether I will stay true with research/academia or do a clinical practice...
I think I am the only developmentalist here :)

Hi

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and thought I would join. I'm a 3rd year PsyD student studying clinical psych. I have an MA in psychology and education.

My research research interest is in how personality is related to political orientation and how political orientation and personal values affect the therapeutic process. I have previously been interested in developmental psychology, specifically how infants categorize objects and what that means about their abilities to form concepts. I have also been interested in gay and lesbian domestic violence. Overall, I am interested in diversity related issues.

I am also interested in Neuropsychology and will be starting a neuropsych externship at a big hospital this coming year.

Hey everyone,

I've been reading the dialogue on this forum and I thought I'd join in. I'm so glad to see that there is a psychology forum on the site.

Well, let me introduce myself. I'm currently completing my second year in a PsyD program at Argosy University. I am finishing up my psychodiagnostic practicum at a community mental health center. I'm also preparing for my upcoming therapy practicum at a county run mental health center that provides services for children referred through the Department of Children and Family Services.

My name is Nora and I just finished my MA in Psychology. I am also applying to PhD programs in experimental psychology at the same time.

Nora said:
I am applying to MD programs for entry in 2005. Because of a very weak undergrad (<2.8), I am considering international schools. I am also applying to PhD programs in experimental psychology at the same time and may pursue both doctorates in a given city simultaneously.

Both MD and PhD SIMULTANEOUSLY? Are you nuts? :eek:

Hi there... thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a Clinical Neuropsychologist. I've noticed quite an active discussion about psychology training programs, post-doctoral fellowships, salaries, job opportunities, the state of the profession, etc. I'd be happy to help you guys with any questions you might have.

JRB

Hi JRB,

Since you are in the field. What are the salary ranges you've seen for neuropsychs in hospital vs. private practice? Any diff in adults vs. pediatrics?

Thanks

I don't work in either of those settings, but $60,000 to $80,000 would be a fair starting salary at a facility; plus factor in benefits that might be included or negotiated (health insurance, license fees, continuing ed). Advantage might also be that you would get vacation and sick leave and wouldn't have pay someone out of pocket to do services such as scheduling, billing, collections, transcription. These kind of salaried positions are usually found at facilities that have "programs", ex. brain injury rehab unit.

In private practice, you would have to consider overhead costs of running your office plus trying to get a mix of insurance panels that would maximize your reimbursement rates. How many hours you want to work and these other factors ultimately determine the income. I have a friend in private practice who says she feels like she works twice as hard to make what she easily used to make before the advent of managed care. She makes around $120,000 now. Others in private practice are trying to get away from accepting insurance, and letting the patient file for reimbursement.

Some companies now hire psychologists on contract to provide services (for example, to several nursing homes). The contract is more of a "blend" of private practice and salary.

Fee for service work is where the most money can be made. Forensic work is a field that can be quite lucrative. You can also supplement your income through teaching.

Medical schools can pay quite well, although the positions are more difficult to come by.

JRB

PsyD4me said:
Hi JRB,

Since you are in the field. What are the salary ranges you've seen for neuropsychs in hospital vs. private practice? Any diff in adults vs. pediatrics?

Thanks

I sent you a private message

Hello everyone!

I just recently started posting on this forum, but everyone has already been extremely helpful in answer my questions.

I am currently a finance major taking many psychology classes. I'm hoping to go into clinical psychology when i graduate in may.

I'm interested in culture, women's mental health issues such as eating disorders, body image, and health psychology.

Can someone tell me a little about industrial or organizational psychology? Coming from a business background I've begun to entertain the possibility of this specialty. Thanks!!!

laxyhead said:
Hello everyone!

I just recently started posting on this forum, but everyone has already been extremely helpful in answer my questions.

I am currently a finance major taking many psychology classes. I'm hoping to go into clinical psychology when i graduate in may.

I'm interested in culture, women's mental health issues such as eating disorders, body image, and health psychology.

Can someone tell me a little about industrial or organizational psychology? Coming from a business background I've begun to entertain the possibility of this specialty. Thanks!!!

Here's a link to Division 14 of the American Psychological Association -- Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. I/O Psych is a great field -- interesting applied work and good pay.

http://www.siop.org/

Hi. This is my first time on the site. A little about me. I am a rising 3rd year student in a dual-degree PsyD/MBA program at Widener University. :oops:

Hey fiaolani, welcome. I was actually wondering about that program at widener. How is it there, is the program expensive?

cici said:
Let me start first......I just finished my first year in the clinical psychology program at a Canadian university. My interest is in health psychology and hopefully can pursue research and practice in this area.
Hey, I've already posted a new thread, but I suppose I should also introduce myself here! Hopefully people are still reading/looking for new people. I'm a 21 y.o. rising senior at Skidmore College majoring in psychology and looking to apply to clinical/counseling phd/psyd programs in the fall. And currently studying for the GRE general test, to be followed by the subject test in the early fall.

Is there anyone out there who has more information on the USC (South Carolina) program in clinical-community? I'm really interested in that school (partly for personal reasons) and am always trying to gather more good information. Thanks!

Hello Everyone--

I am currently awaiting to hear from two schools: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and La Salle University. Both are for the Clinical and Counseling Psychology Program (M.S.). So far, I'v been waitlisted at PCOM. However, everyone who was accepted have enrolled for the Fall 2004 semester, which leave my chances slim to none. Classes begin on the 16th. :( So, I'm counting on La Salle. I've also been considering taking courses as a non-matriculated student until I apply to more schools. Anyone have any suggestions?

PG

I am a 25 year old female from Ohio. I received
a B.S. in Psychology in May 2003 from a small liberal arts college in Ohio. I am presently studying for the GRE's (which I will be taking this fall), and preparing applications for Ph.D. Clinical Psychology Programs. My top choice is the University of Cincinnati. There are several professors conducting research in the areas of my interest, including PTSD, Stockholme Syndrome, Victimization, Substance Abuse, Women's issues, Trauma. My ultimate goal would be to have my own practice counseling trauma patients while doing some teaching at a university.

Hi all...my name is Naomi and I'm starting my senior year this fall at a UC (in California)...am a psychology major hoping for clinical but after reading so much dismaying news about how competitive it is I may change my mind.

twiggers said:
Hi all...my name is Naomi and I'm starting my senior year this fall at a UC (in California)...am a psychology major hoping for clinical but after reading so much dismaying news about how competitive it is I may change my mind.

Yes, indeed, it is a very competitive program to get into. However, if this is your goal, then you shouldn't give up on it so easily. I just got rejected from one school, waitlisted by another. I'm looking into other ways to get started. I don't care what it takes. The more you strive, the further you will get. :cool:

Hiya psycho, not giving up..just depressed by it :) Took me 27 years to figure out what I wanted to do....but I believe that both clinical and developmental will fulfill those goals. Psychology as a whole is just so interesting to me that I have such a wide variety of interests within the subject, and either program will allow me to explore those interests. Sometimes the whole process of figuring out your life can get a person down :)

twiggers said:
Hiya psycho, not giving up..just depressed by it :) Took me 27 years to figure out what I wanted to do....but I believe that both clinical and developmental will fulfill those goals. Psychology as a whole is just so interesting to me that I have such a wide variety of interests within the subject, and either program will allow me to explore those interests. Sometimes the whole process of figuring out your life can get a person down :)

I feel the same way. Sometimes it's tough trying to stay positive. What are some of your interests?

I'm am specifically interested in children/adolescents as a gorup. Other than that I am not really too sure. I am working with autistic and ADD kids now and that is really interesting...the impact that the disorder has on the family members is also interesting..especially the siblings. Curious to see if abnormal behavior is more common amongst these children than those who don't have a disabled sibling.
Other than that my interests are really wide......there's just too much in psychology!

I've already posted two messages, so I guess I will introduce myself. I'm attending a master's program in psychology. My undergrad gpa was embarrassingly horrible, but other factors such as GRE scores and letters of rec helped me to be admitted. I can talk up a storm about possible things that I may want to do or am thinking about doing, but I'm not quite sure yet. Also, my undergrad gpa, unfortunately, can't exactly be swept under the rug no matter what my master's gpa is. I'll have to wait and see. I'm graduating next year and I will apply to clinical and a few counseling programs for fall 2006 admittance. I'm interested in pursuing health and/or forensic psychology, but I've recently begun to consider neuropsych.

Research interests: behavioral and other factors and interventions with substance abuse, behavioral interventions and preventive measures for HIV/AIDS in minority populations, neuropsychological effects of the use and abuse of illicit substances, and mental health law. The focus will get narrowed. My thesis will probably be related to HIV/AIDS.

I've posted a handful of messages on other strings, but I've yet to introduce myself here. I'm a 24 year old, who finished my undergraduate in Canada about a year ago. I'm starting a clinical doctoral program in the States next month with a specialty in developmental neuropsychology. It's nice hearing from everybody about their interests and experiences with grad school.

I'm really enjoying this forum. I'm Chris and I'm applying to St. Martin's College in Olympia, WA for a master's in Counseling Psychology. If anyone has personal opinions about that school, I'd love to hear them. I've been working with children and families for several years and I hope to have a private practice at some point. It seems that's a common story, but that's the plan. Good to meet you all.

PublicHealth said:
jojomo,

Could you tell us more about your path to medicine? What made you decide to pursue medicine after receiving graduate training in clinical psychology? Are you interested in psychiatry?

In keeping with the topic of this thread, I have a BA in Psychology, am currently pursuing an MPH, and am interested in psychiatry. I also have an interest in clinical neuropsychology and psychological assessment.

Cheers!

PH

Now here you are stating you are interested in psychiatry?? Just go ahead and become a psychologist, after all, were't you claiming that those clowns are just as good as psychiatrists?.. Hypocryte
Here's the link in case you forgot b****
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=137967

Ah, a troll. Go away troll. Also, Hypocrite is spelled with an "i".

Hammer= a retired California Psychologist. Ph.D from USC. BA from UCLA.

Posted in psychiatry by mistake. Shame on me.

Hi,

My name is Chris and I'm a 2nd year Ph.D. student at Yeshiva University in the clinical health program. I have a M.S. in counseling psychology and a B.S. in both history and psychology. I've worked as a therapist for a few years, but alas now that I'm in NY master level clinical positions are harder to find.

Hi Chris,

I'm curious how long your Ph.D. program is with your master's degree. I'm applying to school now for a master's degree and I can practice in my state with that degree. But, I may decide at some point that a Pd.D. is more practical.

Chris in WA