-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Mcat And Sat
Started by visualwealth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are you going to begin? Incidentally there are old threads about this same topic...
1200 is 26
1300 28-30
1400 32-35
1500 34+
Does this look about right
1300 28-30
1400 32-35
1500 34+
Does this look about right
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No telling. I think there is a rough correlation, but not that exact. It's funny, because I was arguing the other way in another thread. I just don't think the correlation is that close to 1.
ACT 33
SAT 1400 pre-recenter
MCAT 31, 32, 36
ACT 33
SAT 1400 pre-recenter
MCAT 31, 32, 36
visualwealth said:1200 is 26
1300 28-30
1400 32-35
1500 34+
Does this look about right
I have no clue. It said 97 percentile on the form,whatever that is on SAT. I would imagine it is higher than a 1300.
Why not just look up the correlation. Why do you care anyway, if you want to know what you expect to get on the MCAT take a practice test and see what you get, that will give you the best idea. Of course if you arent prepared for it you will get a much lower score than you would get if you were prepared.
Why are people so impressed with correlations? Over the years there has been a strong correlation between the increases in the national debt and the number of hairs there are on my ass, probably stronger than the SAT/MCAT correlation, does this impress you to? Does this mean that shaving my ass is going to help the economy?
I scored above average on SAT but high on MCAT. I used to have a short attention span but over the years I have greatly improved my ability to focus for long periods of time.
Why are people so impressed with correlations? Over the years there has been a strong correlation between the increases in the national debt and the number of hairs there are on my ass, probably stronger than the SAT/MCAT correlation, does this impress you to? Does this mean that shaving my ass is going to help the economy?
I scored above average on SAT but high on MCAT. I used to have a short attention span but over the years I have greatly improved my ability to focus for long periods of time.
Sat: 1210
Mcat: 30
Mcat: 30
SAT 1330
MCAT 35
So, I did better percentile-wise on the MCAT despite years of drinking my brain cells away. 🙂
MCAT 35
So, I did better percentile-wise on the MCAT despite years of drinking my brain cells away. 🙂
visualwealth said:List your MCAT and SAT...
I want to see the correlation...
ACT 31
MCAT 38
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AStudent said:ACT 28 (of 36)
MCAT 31R (of 45)
the MCAT is out of 45?
sat - 1420
mcat - 34
definetely no correlation however. good luck trying to develop one.
mcat - 34
definetely no correlation however. good luck trying to develop one.
Sat: 1300
Mcat: 32
Mcat: 32
SAT: 1110 (50th percentile)
MCAT: 30 (80th percentile)
No correlation whatsoever.
MCAT: 30 (80th percentile)
No correlation whatsoever.
Here's an article which a group of abstracts, two of which deal with this topic:
http://www.naahp.org/abstract_fourflat.htm
Here's a good quote from a pre-med website:
"4. Is there any way to predict what sort of scores I will have on the MCAT?
Yes, look at your SATs! The best correlation we have seen between MCAT and any other achievement is between the MCAT and the SAT scores. In fact, of the schools that do not require MCAT scores, ALL require the SATs. We have seen the exceptional student with modest SATs achieve strong MCAT scores however"
http://www.albany.edu/advisement/prehealth/healthfaq.htm
http://www.naahp.org/abstract_fourflat.htm
Here's a good quote from a pre-med website:
"4. Is there any way to predict what sort of scores I will have on the MCAT?
Yes, look at your SATs! The best correlation we have seen between MCAT and any other achievement is between the MCAT and the SAT scores. In fact, of the schools that do not require MCAT scores, ALL require the SATs. We have seen the exceptional student with modest SATs achieve strong MCAT scores however"
http://www.albany.edu/advisement/prehealth/healthfaq.htm
All it tells you is whether you're a good test-taker or not. I tend to have good standardized test scores but awful grades (especially on exams with open-end questions).
On third year on rotations, I'll have to ask the resident to give me the question in multiple choice format, otherwise I'm guaranteed to get it wrong. Very inconvenient.
On third year on rotations, I'll have to ask the resident to give me the question in multiple choice format, otherwise I'm guaranteed to get it wrong. Very inconvenient.
Lets see, I took the SAT three times:
Verbal Math
540 680
540 730
570 670
So my best was the second time, a 1270. My verbals were between 64th and 79th percentile, and my maths were between like 90-95th. Overall, nothing to be proud of....
My ACT... 28 English (93rd Percentile), 32 Math (99th), 31 Reading (94th), and 34 Science (99th), to total a 32 (98th)...
So I took the MCAT twice. Once without studying, I guess there may be a correlation with that score and with my SATs. I got a 27, which is 59.1-65.3 percentile.
The second time I took the MCAT, I studied for it. That score more correlates with the percentile for the ACT. I got a 35, which is 94.7-96.3 percentile.
But thats just dumb luck. 🙂
Verbal Math
540 680
540 730
570 670
So my best was the second time, a 1270. My verbals were between 64th and 79th percentile, and my maths were between like 90-95th. Overall, nothing to be proud of....
My ACT... 28 English (93rd Percentile), 32 Math (99th), 31 Reading (94th), and 34 Science (99th), to total a 32 (98th)...
So I took the MCAT twice. Once without studying, I guess there may be a correlation with that score and with my SATs. I got a 27, which is 59.1-65.3 percentile.
The second time I took the MCAT, I studied for it. That score more correlates with the percentile for the ACT. I got a 35, which is 94.7-96.3 percentile.
But thats just dumb luck. 🙂
blz said:who studies for the SAT anyways
SAT: 1480
MCAT: 35
I did. It must have helped a lot. SAT 1530.
I didn't take an MCAT course, but I think my MCAT score is more reflective of my actual intelligence/learning ability. I got a 33
Attentive said:SAT 1580 (1999) 1x
MCAT 11 11 11. (2003) 1x
Bah, not that either of these has helped me out of waitlist purgatory.
A 33 MCAT and all waitlists? Either yer a horrible, horrible person, or I feel bad for ya! I know how it is, but thankfully I got accepted. Did you only apply to top schools? Either way, I'm sure you will get in off waitlist. Or else your a horrible, horrible person. 😀
vhawk01 said:A 33 MCAT and all waitlists? Either yer a horrible, horrible person, or I feel bad for ya! I know how it is, but thankfully I got accepted. Did you only apply to top schools? Either way, I'm sure you will get in off waitlist. Or else your a horrible, horrible person. 😀
Heh, well aside from punting puppies and stealing lollipops from infants, I think I'm just a mediocre villain.
Anyways, I'm accepted at a few schools, just in waitlist purgatory at the schools I'd prefer. I guess that just makes me a horrible whiny ingrate. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
45408
No, because I don't know hardly anyone who scored over a 31 on the ACT, but I know people who scored 1500s and even 1600s.visualwealth said:1200 is 26
1300 28-30
1400 32-35
1500 34+
Does this look about right
4
45408
Probably cuz we didn't give a rip about the SAT/ACT because they're not very important.DarkFark said:SAT 1420 (700V/720M)
MCAT 37 (12V/12P/13B/Q)
Big step up for me. Most people on this board seem to have also improved from SAT to MCAT.
I'll bite, I guess.
ACT: 29
MCAT: 35
Sat: 1450
Act: 34
Mcat: 39 🙂
Act: 34
Mcat: 39 🙂
1390 SAT
36 MCAT
in my own extensive analyses of MCAT correlations with other factors, ive found the best correlation (p value .003) with what one orders at chipotle. here are the highlights:
vegie burrito with guacamole and corn salsa: 13 verbal average
barbacoa: dont even bother with the bio section
carnitas, hot salsa, lettuce: median combined score of 42
36 MCAT
in my own extensive analyses of MCAT correlations with other factors, ive found the best correlation (p value .003) with what one orders at chipotle. here are the highlights:
vegie burrito with guacamole and corn salsa: 13 verbal average
barbacoa: dont even bother with the bio section
carnitas, hot salsa, lettuce: median combined score of 42
TheProwler said:No, because I don't know hardly anyone who scored over a 31 on the MCAT, but I know people who scored 1500s and even 1600s.
I agree. I know many people in the 1300 and 1400s on the SAT and didnt break 30 on the MCAT.
SAT: 1350
ACT: 32 or 33 (can't remember)
to spice things up a bit:
GRE: 2090 (before the new analytical)
MCAT: 29 (took it cold)
I never heard of studying for a standardized test before I took the MCAT.
Lots of correlation between my other three. Maybe if I had studied for the MCAT..... 🙂
ACT: 32 or 33 (can't remember)
to spice things up a bit:
GRE: 2090 (before the new analytical)
MCAT: 29 (took it cold)
I never heard of studying for a standardized test before I took the MCAT.
Lots of correlation between my other three. Maybe if I had studied for the MCAT..... 🙂
I did a quick excel. This is what I got: http://www.msu.edu/~boneadam/sdnmcatvssat.xls
y =.0139x + 14.688
y = mcat score
x = sat score ( or act score x 44.4)
Try it and see if you get about your MCAT score.
y =.0139x + 14.688
y = mcat score
x = sat score ( or act score x 44.4)
Try it and see if you get about your MCAT score.
Assume, the line is not linear at the end points (L.O.L) because you don't get 14 MCAT points for not taking the SAT. Also assume the hight end point is corresponds to a slightly higher MCAT score than predicted.
AStudent said:I did a quick excel. This is what I got: http://www.msu.edu/~boneadam/sdnmcatvssat.xls
y =.0139x + 14.688
y = mcat score
x = sat score ( or act score x 44.4)
Try it and see if you get about your MCAT score.
Using your equation with a 1260 SAT score, I got a 32.202 MCAT score (which I realize isn't possible). I actually got a 33 on the MCAT so very close.
Thinking about it now I think the graph should have a slope of ~x^3 because the graph rises exp. from 0, levels off for awhile, then exp. increases again so that the slope at (1600,45) = .0281
But the linear line is a good approximation, so long as you realize n only equals about 20.
But the linear line is a good approximation, so long as you realize n only equals about 20.
AStudent said:Thinking about it now I think the graph should have a slope of ~x^3 because the graph rises exp. from 0, levels off for awhile, then exp. increases again so that the slope at (1600,45) = .0281
.
im just going to go out on a limb here and assume you do not have a girlfriend...
You're right. I don't.
I have a fiancée.
I have a fiancée.
opinionkitten said:im just going to go out on a limb here and assume you do not have a girlfriend...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AStudent said:You're right. I don't.
I have a fiancée.
lol... pwn3d.
SAT: 1450
MCAT: 31 (but I shattered my hand a few days before the MCAT and had to have surgery the following Monday so I'm not sure my scores are usable. I had the fun task of taking the test on painkillers or fighting the pain through the test. What a joyful memory that is.)
Plus, it also depends on whether you took a class like Kaplan or not.
MCAT: 31 (but I shattered my hand a few days before the MCAT and had to have surgery the following Monday so I'm not sure my scores are usable. I had the fun task of taking the test on painkillers or fighting the pain through the test. What a joyful memory that is.)
Plus, it also depends on whether you took a class like Kaplan or not.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 442
D
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 621
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 644