Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RayhanS1282 said:
Bump.

Also for anyone who is curious and had their check acknowledged on 07/29...I called Mayo today and they told me that my file is still under review....so the 6 week time period is not concrete.

By the way, anyone look at the student profiles for Mayo....I don't know whether to keel over laughing at some of the descriptions or roll into a fetal position with fear.

That makes me feel a little better... i'm also in the "check acknowledged on 7/29 group" not that i really expected an interview anyway :-/
other 7/29ers, keep me updated!

Members don't see this ad.

thank you for the great laugh. I needed that. Still no word. did the phone interview on 8/23. Still keeping my fingers crossed with the whole "wouldn't it be cool if.."

shoal said:
I think it has something to do with how the FBI conducts interviews. High stress, make you wait and see how you react, all for the fun of it of course!!! They pro'oly track our IPs based on their huge database of school address networks and contact all the major ISPs and check your surfing habbits. They wind up here watching us all crack, and laughing. :eek:

lexy10 said:
thank you for the great laugh. I needed that. Still no word. did the phone interview on 8/23. Still keeping my fingers crossed with the whole "wouldn't it be coo if.."

Anyone else watched the darn Mayo video like a billion times, dreaming of going there? Or reading those geeky student profiles, yet secretly wishing that was you?!??!!

Why do you torment me so Mayo!? WHY? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
lexy10 said:
thank you for the great laugh. I needed that. Still no word. did the phone interview on 8/23. Still keeping my fingers crossed with the whole "wouldn't it be coo if.."

Just give me a yeah or nay for the actual interview!

Anyone else watched the darn Mayo video like a billion times, dreaming of going there? Or reading those geeky student profiles, yet secretly wishing that was you?!??!!

Why do you torment me so Mayo!? WHY? :confused:

I live with my 11 year old cousin and every time she sees me she asks "Has Mayo called yet?" I really want to hit her sometimes, 'cause I'm really nervous to check my mail and see a big fat REGECT letter in there. I'm bubbly as a soda can, damnit!

I die a little inside each time I find out this Mayo thread has been updated. I had my interview 3 weeks ago this coming tuesday, and I'm going CRAZY!!!!! I keep telling myself that if it were an interview invite, which is supposed to come via email, I would have gotten it by now since electronic notifications take all of 5 seconds. Therefore, if my theory is correct, I should be expecting a big fat rejection (actually, a thin letter) next week. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to say goodbye to my dream school.

For those of you who did have a phone interview... didn't the lady say we should hear back within 3 weeks either way??? Maybe I heard wrong.

drbriggz said:
For those of you who did have a phone interview... didn't the lady say we should hear back within 3 weeks either way??? Maybe I heard wrong.

You heard right. Two weeks down for me, one week of waiting left. :eek: :scared:

Good luck, I hope you get an email bright and early Monday morning! :luck:

drbriggz said:
I die a little inside each time I find out this Mayo thread has been updated.
:laugh: I am the same way! It is the first thread I check to see if it has been updated, because I am so paranoid that yet another person whose check was received the same time as mine has gotten a phone interview....thus reminding me that I have not received this coveted interview invite, and my oh-so-thin rejection letter may arrive in a matter of days. Of course, am I contributing to the problem by updating the thread? :)

Just in case you guys are wondering. The first interviews at Mayo start on September 19th so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet because Mayo won't start in person interviews for another week.

cphilip said:
Just in case you guys are wondering. The first interviews at Mayo start on September 19th so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet because Mayo won't start in person interviews for another week.

im pushing on 1.5 weeks now after my phone interview, and not a peep from Mayo!

they're starting interviews on the 19th!?

Just remember guys, if you made it to the phone interview, you've got a pretty good shot at the real deal (350 phone, and like 250 real I think)!

MesoCompound said:

Just remember guys, if you made it to the phone interview, you've got a pretty good shot at the real deal (350 phone, and like 250 real I think)!

Are you sure? I heard a 600 phone/250 real number somewhere.

DetectiveChubby said:
Are you sure? I heard a 600 phone/250 real number somewhere.

The stats are on their site

its something like 350 phone interviewed....240 real interview

Getting the phone interview is the biggest cut

can you post the link for my satisfaction? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
MesoCompound said:

When I did the phone interview at Mayo it took them right about three weeks to extend an invitation to do an onsite interview...so you have plenty of time left.

It took them like 6 weeks for me to get my interview invite after I did the phone interview. So don't worry about the timing too much, it could be something as simple as they received your letters a little later than you expected.

epalantequevoy said:
It took them like 6 weeks for me to get my interview invite after I did the phone interview. So don't worry about the timing too much, it could be something as simple as they received your letters a little later than you expected.

Anybody call mayo to schedule a phone interview recently? The earliest available date was in november?

I found it a bit strange because other schools are still offering interviews in september.

DetectiveChubby said:
Anybody call mayo to schedule a phone interview recently? The earliest available date was in november?

I found it a bit strange because other schools are still offering interviews in september.

I called first week in september and got september 20th.

Got my official Mayo rejection today. Me thinks the secretary lied on Friday when she said "under review".

RayhanS1282 said:
Got my official Mayo rejection today. Me thinks the secretary lied on Friday when she said "under review".

Sorry to hear that. I doubt they are really allowed to tell you over the phone, and I'd doubt they'd want to deal with a crazy kid who just got rejected. But keep your head up, you've got some great schools ahead.

Good luck guys, congrats on even getting the telephone interviews-

RayhanS1282 said:

That's too bad, Rayhan. <hug> You've got a solid MCAT and GPA, and it looks like you got all of your secondaries turned in really early, so you should wind up with a decent amount of acceptances. Good luck with the rest of the process, and don't let one rejection get you down. :luck:

Got an email invite to an onsite interview today! :) (My phone interview was 8/26, so it's been a little under three weeks.)

Good luck to everyone else in the thread, I hope to see you there! (Haven't called to schedule it yet.) :luck: :luck: :luck:

TheDarkSide said:
Got an email invite to an onsite interview today! :) (My phone interview was 8/26, so it's been a little under three weeks.)

Good luck to everyone else in the thread, I hope to see you there! (Haven't called to schedule it yet.) :luck: :luck: :luck:

Congrats DarkSide!!! You're one step closer to being a doctor. Good luck at your interview. :luck:

TheDarkSide said:

Dude that's awesome darkside! Congrats!!!! I think you're the first one on this thread to receive the actual, onsite interview (how freaking exciting!!!)

My phone interview was on 9/1, so I'm still eagerly awaiting a response!

Does anyone know what day Mayo adcoms meet to review apps??? Just curious if I should be expecting my imminent rejection during a certain part of the week.

Congrats on the 'real' interview!!! Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to hear about what they thought of my phone interview (which, EEEEK, was 2 days before yours!!!!). Oh well...

drbriggz said:
Does anyone know what day Mayo adcoms meet to review apps??? Just curious if I should be expecting my imminent rejection during a certain part of the week.

Congrats on the 'real' interview!!! Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to hear about what they thought of my phone interview (which, EEEEK, was 2 days before yours!!!!). Oh well...

I'm right there with you Dr briggz. I know my lor got there later than my interview (faxed on friday and hardcopy received on tuesday following) so i hope that is why i didn't hear anything today. keeping my fingers crossed, but prepared for rejection :scared:

And totally congrats to you, dark side. exciting stuff!

my phone interview isn't until November! now I feel like i don't have a chance

anystream said:

There's always a chance! When I talked to Cindy today she said in passing that they are still very much in the thick of scheduling phone interviews, etc., so don't count yourself out yet!

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Another second year student at Mayo here...

Feel free to PM with any questions about Mayo or Rochester (or life in Rochester as a single person, as you'll find a good portion of the class is married).

Mayo is a great place to study medicine. Phenomenal facilities, wonderful/top-notch classmates, and an administration that truly cares about both the patient and the student. I have come to really like Rochester in many ways - beautiful country up here with awesome fishing/hunting/outdoors stuff and very cheap to live here (you will probably end up owning a house - probably at least half the class does now, if not more).

One piece of advice: stay with a student (it will be a first year) when you come and visit. For one it's cheaper, but it is a good way to get a feel of what the class is like outside of school. More than likely, they'll take you to hang out with some other people in the class, and you will really get a chance to see the personality of the class. I would recommend this at all schools where you interview.

Again, PM with ANY questions (med school, Rochester, applying, other schools I really liked, etc.)

anystream said:

my phone interview was in jan and i interviewed in april
you'll be fine
i got in

I got an onsite interview! i thought my chances were shot after tues. SWEEEET! My telephone interview was 8/23 FYI.

lexy10 said:
I got an onsite interview! i thought my chances were shot after tues. SWEEEET! My telephone interview was 8/23 FYI.

Congrats!!!! That's awesome!!! :hardy: :thumbup: :D

When are you going?

Don't know. I just got home from work and saw it (i can't check email at work, damn screening tools). It was too late to schedule, so i will tomorrow. When is yours?

lexy10 said:
Don't know. I just got home from work and saw it (i can't check email at work, damn screening tools). It was too late to schedule, so i will tomorrow. When is yours?

I'm going 10/3. Fridays were already booked into November when I called, so I went with the first Monday available. I don't know how Thursdays are doing (that would have been my last choice).

I leave to work in med clinic in peru in a couple of days, so i won't be taking one of the early slots...I'll be taking one of those november slots.. do tell me how it went! and good luck to you...

and thanks for the congrats..i was so excited i forgot to say that before...

TheDarkSide said:
I'm going 10/3. Fridays were already booked into November when I called, so I went with the first Monday available. I don't know how Thursdays are doing (that would have been my last choice).
Congrats! I hope it goes really well. :luck:

I was just curious if anyone's status has changed. My check was received 8/3 and I still haven't heard anything.

They received my check 8/3 and I received a letter in the mail today :(

SuzieQ3417 said:
I was just curious if anyone's status has changed. My check was received 8/3 and I still haven't heard anything.

Just wanted to say CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK on receiving your first interview today. :D :D :D :luck: :luck:

suzie,
i think you should call the admissions office and ask what the deal is. it has been around 6 weeks for you and by now you should have heard one way or the other. they'll be nice to you, i promise.

gujuDoc said:
Just wanted to say CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK on receiving your first interview today. :D :D :D :luck: :luck:
Thanks! I was home by myself when I got the email, and I was so excited I didn't know who to call first and share the good news with. What was strange is that I received the interview invite 2 hours before I received an email saying I was complete and my application would be given to the Adcom. Man...this process is strange.

Lorrayne said:
They received my check 8/3 and I received a letter in the mail today :(
I'm so sorry to hear that. It probably means my letter will arrive tomorrow, hmm? We'll see. Mayo is obviously my top choice, but if they are going to reject me I would rather know now so I can move on with the rest of this process.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Thanks! I was home by myself when I got the email, and I was so excited I didn't know who to call first and share the good news with. What was strange is that I received the interview invite 2 hours before I received an email saying I was complete and my application would be given to the Adcom. Man...this process is strange.

The above bolded has happened to many people on this site in the recent months.

As per the process being strange, I agree. :p

Mayo grad here . . .

I just wanted to say Congrats and Good Luck to all of you who are applying to Mayo! It really is an absolutely phenomenal place to train in any part of your medical education. I also think Rochester is a great city--very safe and family friendly! I wish you all the best!

Feel free to PM me with any questions about Mayo or Rochester . . . or anything else you think I could be helpful with.

Wow, I feel so behind the curve, my AMCAS app was just certified yesterday. My state school (UT Memphis) let me know within an hour of certification that they had received my app. (Now that's love!) My MCAT scores are not in, but hopefully Mayo won't keep me from the phone interview until then. Anybody know about when I should be expecting to hear something, I just hate having this feeling "should have submitted earlier/taken April MCAT" feeling. Oh well, can't lose sleep over it :sleep:

SuzieQ3417 said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. It probably means my letter will arrive tomorrow, hmm? We'll see. Mayo is obviously my top choice, but if they are going to reject me I would rather know now so I can move on with the rest of this process.

SuzeQ -

I was verified like 8/6 still have heard nothing either. I was planning on calling next week. I did have some e-mail problems along the way - hopefully that is what caused the issue and hopefully it won't affect my application. lol - I am hoping long shot here. Good luck! :love:

shoal said:
SuzeQ -

I was verified like 8/6 still have heard nothing either. I was planning on calling next week. I did have some e-mail problems along the way - hopefully that is what caused the issue and hopefully it won't affect my application. lol - I am hoping long shot here. Good luck! :love:
I hope you get good news. I survived another week without getting a rejection letter, but I might give them a call at the end of the week if I still haven't heard any news from them. Keep me posted! :)

SuzieQ3417 said:
I hope you get good news. I survived another week without getting a rejection letter, but I might give them a call at the end of the week if I still haven't heard any news from them. Keep me posted! :)

this thursday will make 3 weeks since my mayo phone interview :( Wincing at the thought of a slim envelope waiting in my mailbox :(