Advice, why MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar78cx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
To all MPH students , why did u choose to do it?
Any input is totally appreciated, I'm trying to make up my mind on my graduate studies.
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to have a strong background in epi and biostats and wanted to learn how to think about population-based health. As an extra bonus that I wasn't very aware of before I started, I also learned about health policy advocacy. So for me it was a great way to learn "hard" science (epi/biostats) and "soft" science (public health advocacy).

Adcadet said:
I wanted to have a strong background in epi and biostats and wanted to learn how to think about population-based health. As an extra bonus that I wasn't very aware of before I started, I also learned about health policy advocacy. So for me it was a great way to learn "hard" science (epi/biostats) and "soft" science (public health advocacy).

Thank u 4 your time Adcadet.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it just goes right into what I want to do...Public Health Awareness & Education. My PharmD + MPH will help get myself into a position to utilize skills I have learned and do something good with it.

ar78cx said:
Hey,
Any input is totally appreciated, I'm trying to make up my mind on my graduate studies.
Thanx
reasons:
1) i am an FMG, and it gets me into the US.
2) i am interested in Path, and biostats/epi keeps me honest and research oriented. it is applicable in every field of medicine and research.
3) it gives me time to do stuff apart from the course work, like prepare for and take exams without letting my grade drop off.i know most of what they are talking about, so can be a bit more laidback than,say a PhD.the stuff i am not good at, like the stata/sas/spss programming is too different from what i have done in medicine to not be interesting.
4) i find epi very interesting, almost as detective-like as path.biostats is growing on me, but epi is my second love.i hated all that clinical medicine "patient-thanks-you-face-on" BS. i wanted to be equipped to be as independent a researcher as i could be in the future.

before you fill your application with the BS programs like to hear, be totally honest about why you want to spend all this time,money and effort.that is what will sustain you during those long months of no assistantship,hand-to-mouth first few months..

ar78cx said:
Hey,
Thanx

Hihi!

1) I like the healthcare field in general and want to do something in it. However I simply don't like science very much, and I don't like clinical medicine. I do however, love sociology (including social policy), economics, business, and other social science fields. I thought this was a good fit for me.

2) It is a growing field with decent job security and a good future.

3) I like to know that I'm doing something important for people. I think public health offers me the opportunity to do just that.

4) Even after being accepted to medical school I couldn't face the committment of what it takes to finish my degree and become a physician - it simply was going to take me down a road I didn't want to go towards. It was just something I did even though my true passion isn't in science nor medicine. So... I opted for this.