You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Rank Order List 2006
Started by MCP '06
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
call me superstitious, but i can't put that info into the public domain right now.MCP '06 said:1) Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick
2) U Penn
3) Albany
4) Yale
5) Temple
6) Jefferson
7) Mt. Sinai
8) Columbia
9) Cornell
10) Rochester
Subject to change, but these are my top 10
I promise to post mine on February 22nd. 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
robotsonic said:I promise to post mine on February 22nd. 😉
Me too 🙂
Quick question - if we certify our list, can we then go back and change it later? Or is that the absolute last step?
avgjoe said:Me too 🙂
Quick question - if we certify our list, can we then go back and change it later? Or is that the absolute last step?
Yea I was afraid to hit that "certify" button. You can change stuff even after your certified, you just re-certify after each change. Your last certified list at 9pm on Feb 22 is what counts.
I'll post mine on Feb. 22. Mine is all set and certified. I still think about changing some ranks from time to time but I think I'l just leave it alone at this point.
Whoa. That was a pretty big switch. Out of curiosity, how did you decide to switch #5 and #8, but leave 6 and 7 in place? Seems odd.MCP '06 said:1) Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick
2) U Penn
3) Albany
4) Yale
5) Columbia
6) Jefferson
7) Mt. Sinai
8) Temple
9) Cornell
10) Rochester
locitamd said:p.s. that's not a bad thing, i'm just curious about what appeals to you.
There were a couple of reasons I ranked Robert Wood #1. The first reason is location. I have family in the central NJ area and I went to Rutgers for undergrad. Also I really liked Dr. Whalen, the program director. He seemed to have a vision for the department and was working toward making his vision a reality. He seems interested in training well rounded independent thinkers who can operate in any circumstance. Some programs seems to view house staff as "labor", but the residents I talked to during my interview day sounded like they were really getting an education. And all of the residents were very open about the strengths AND weaknesses of the program. In general, I felt like the program portrayed a very honest and straight forward picture about itself and they had nothing to hide.
In retrospect I wish I had gone there. (I tried to buy my plane ticket late - $600 was unacceptable)
I've heard really good things about RWJ. Several faculty members at my school came from there following fellowships, and that's after landing good fellowships. Who cares about a big name if you're not happy?
The only downside I've heard is it's super trauma-heavy. I mean really, really trauma-heavy. So if you like trauma, you're golden.
-sd
I've heard really good things about RWJ. Several faculty members at my school came from there following fellowships, and that's after landing good fellowships. Who cares about a big name if you're not happy?
The only downside I've heard is it's super trauma-heavy. I mean really, really trauma-heavy. So if you like trauma, you're golden.
-sd
congrats MCP '06. I wish I had as strong a feeling about my top choice.
and as for:
and as for:
that's a good thingsurgdia said:The only downside I've heard is it's super trauma-heavy. I mean really, really trauma-heavy.

Actually based on my notes and recollection RWJ at New Brunswick is not very trauma heavy. At least nothing compared to its Camden counterpart which is a separate program. UMDNJ-Newark is also very trauma heavy.
MCP. I have to agree in all honesty with the points you mentioned. I took very careful notes, and I know several of the residents personally at RWJ. They are happy with the program, treatment and training. Also the chair is very well respected in the world of academic surgery and a phenomenal speaker. The PD is very genuine and seems like a big resident advocate. He frankly reminds me a little of the PD at Vandy, which I hold incredible respect to.
I weighted my ROL heavily on the fact that the program that I would like to train in should have a university hospital, VA and a community hospital just to get a wide range of exposure and different level of autonomy. This was the only drawback of the program.
MCP. I have to agree in all honesty with the points you mentioned. I took very careful notes, and I know several of the residents personally at RWJ. They are happy with the program, treatment and training. Also the chair is very well respected in the world of academic surgery and a phenomenal speaker. The PD is very genuine and seems like a big resident advocate. He frankly reminds me a little of the PD at Vandy, which I hold incredible respect to.
I weighted my ROL heavily on the fact that the program that I would like to train in should have a university hospital, VA and a community hospital just to get a wide range of exposure and different level of autonomy. This was the only drawback of the program.
Hi Folks! Certified my list today. Not planning on changing it anymore.
1. The Johns Hopkins hospital, Baltimore MD
2. University of Washington, Seattle WA
3. Abington Memorial, PA
4. Yale-New Haven, CT
5. University of South Carolina/Palmetto Richland, Columbia SC
6. Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
7. NYMC/St. Vincent's, NY
8. Albert Einstein/Beth Israel, NY
9. North Shore-LIJ, NY
10. Harlem Hospital, NY
11. St. Elizabeth/NEOUCOM, Youngstown OH
12. Seton Hall, Trenton NJ
13. Conemaugh/Temple, Johnstown PA
1. The Johns Hopkins hospital, Baltimore MD
2. University of Washington, Seattle WA
3. Abington Memorial, PA
4. Yale-New Haven, CT
5. University of South Carolina/Palmetto Richland, Columbia SC
6. Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
7. NYMC/St. Vincent's, NY
8. Albert Einstein/Beth Israel, NY
9. North Shore-LIJ, NY
10. Harlem Hospital, NY
11. St. Elizabeth/NEOUCOM, Youngstown OH
12. Seton Hall, Trenton NJ
13. Conemaugh/Temple, Johnstown PA
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DocTan said:Hi Folks! Certified my list today. Not planning on changing it anymore.
1. The Johns Hopkins hospital, Baltimore MD
2. University of Washington, Seattle WA
3. Abington Memorial, PA
4. Yale-New Haven, CT
5. University of South Carolina/Palmetto Richland, Columbia SC
6. Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
7. NYMC/St. Vincent's, NY
8. Albert Einstein/Beth Israel, NY
9. North Shore-LIJ, NY
10. Harlem Hospital, NY
11. St. Elizabeth/NEOUCOM, Youngstown OH
12. Seton Hall, Trenton NJ
13. Conemaugh/Temple, Johnstown PA
Congratulations for getting done with this part of it!
That's quite a varied list you've got there.. the only one of those I went to was U Washington, and I too was very impressed. It'll probably be in the top 3 in my list as well.
DocTan said:Hi Folks! Certified my list today. Not planning on changing it anymore.
1. The Johns Hopkins hospital, Baltimore MD
2. University of Washington, Seattle WA
3. Abington Memorial, PA
4. Yale-New Haven, CT
5. University of South Carolina/Palmetto Richland, Columbia SC
6. Brooklyn Hospital Center, NY
7. NYMC/St. Vincent's, NY
8. Albert Einstein/Beth Israel, NY
9. North Shore-LIJ, NY
10. Harlem Hospital, NY
11. St. Elizabeth/NEOUCOM, Youngstown OH
12. Seton Hall, Trenton NJ
13. Conemaugh/Temple, Johnstown PA
Out of curiousity, are those all categorical positions, or are some prelim?
toxic-megacolon said:Out of curiousity, are those all categorical positions, or are some prelim?
categorical. I didn't apply to any prelims.
Oh 😕 This was your post back in December.
DocTan said:Hi all. I have a question. I am struggling between ranking a very small community categorical program vs. yale prelim. I think if I go to Yale for a year, I will have a chance to get into a better program the next year. Btw, I am an IMG so I have to take this into consideration.
Here goes:
1. U of Colorado
2. Penn State/Hershey
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Virginia Mason
5. Huntington Memorial
6. Mercy Hospital-Pittsburgh
7. Eastern Virginia
8. UTMB
9. UCSD
10. Loyola-Chicago
11. Miami-Jackson
12. Temple
13. Einstein/Montefiore
1. U of Colorado
2. Penn State/Hershey
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Virginia Mason
5. Huntington Memorial
6. Mercy Hospital-Pittsburgh
7. Eastern Virginia
8. UTMB
9. UCSD
10. Loyola-Chicago
11. Miami-Jackson
12. Temple
13. Einstein/Montefiore
highball said:Here goes:
1. U of Colorado
2. Penn State/Hershey
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Virginia Mason
5. Huntington Memorial
6. Mercy Hospital-Pittsburgh
7. Eastern Virginia
8. UTMB
9. UCSD
10. Loyola-Chicago
11. Miami-Jackson
12. Temple
13. Einstein/Montefiore
one of these programs is not like the others. what intrigued you about UTMB?
highball said:Here goes:
1. U of Colorado
2. Penn State/Hershey
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Virginia Mason
5. Huntington Memorial
6. Mercy Hospital-Pittsburgh
7. Eastern Virginia
8. UTMB
9. UCSD
10. Loyola-Chicago
11. Miami-Jackson
12. Temple
13. Einstein/Montefiore
Why UCSD so low? You have some great programs in that list. Good luck!
UTMB is interesting because it's a big hospital without a lot of fellows, but only takes 4 interns. A lot of surgeries to go around and nice to have Townsend on your side. Small town with Houston near by.
I posted separately about UCSD. Didn't really mesh with the personalities of the residents there. As you can tell by my list, the more trauma-heavy programs are ranked lower, which includes UCSD. Otherwise, cost of living in SD is astronomical, even with the beautiful weather.
I posted separately about UCSD. Didn't really mesh with the personalities of the residents there. As you can tell by my list, the more trauma-heavy programs are ranked lower, which includes UCSD. Otherwise, cost of living in SD is astronomical, even with the beautiful weather.
today is the day...
1. Mayo rochester
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4. UT-Chattanooga
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. UT-Memphis
7. Greenville SC
8. MCG
9. Virginia Mason
10.Medical College of Wisconsin
11.ETSU
12.Inova Fairfax
13.New Hanover
1. Mayo rochester
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4. UT-Chattanooga
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. UT-Memphis
7. Greenville SC
8. MCG
9. Virginia Mason
10.Medical College of Wisconsin
11.ETSU
12.Inova Fairfax
13.New Hanover
Represent for NYC!
1. Mount Sinai
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. St. Luke's Roosevelt
6. Einstein Montefiore
7. Beth Israel (NYC)
8. St. Vincent's (NYC)
9. SUNY Downstate
10. Lenox Hill
Alex, you there?
1. Mount Sinai
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. St. Luke's Roosevelt
6. Einstein Montefiore
7. Beth Israel (NYC)
8. St. Vincent's (NYC)
9. SUNY Downstate
10. Lenox Hill
Alex, you there?
Here we go..representing NYC to the fullest, just like robotsonic 😉
As promised:
1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. Mt Sinai
4. Columbia
5. St Lukes-Roosevelt
6. St. Vincent's
7. Beth Israel (NYC)
8. Cabrini
9. Lenox Hill
10. North Shore-LIJ
11. UMDNJ-RWJ
12. Stony Brook
13. NYMC-WMC
14. SUNY-Downstate
15. Einstein Montefiore
Good luck everyone
As promised:
1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. Mt Sinai
4. Columbia
5. St Lukes-Roosevelt
6. St. Vincent's
7. Beth Israel (NYC)
8. Cabrini
9. Lenox Hill
10. North Shore-LIJ
11. UMDNJ-RWJ
12. Stony Brook
13. NYMC-WMC
14. SUNY-Downstate
15. Einstein Montefiore
Good luck everyone

Here's mine....
1. Mt. Sinai
2. Stony Brook
3. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
4. Beth Israel
5. Robert Wood Johnson
6. St. Vincent's
7. Einstein-Montefiore
8. NYMC
9. UMDNJ-Newark
10. Downstate
11. North Shore-LIJ
12. New York Hospital-Queens
13. Lenox Hill
14. Lehigh Valley (PA)
Good luck to all 
1. Mt. Sinai
2. Stony Brook
3. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
4. Beth Israel
5. Robert Wood Johnson
6. St. Vincent's
7. Einstein-Montefiore
8. NYMC
9. UMDNJ-Newark
10. Downstate
11. North Shore-LIJ
12. New York Hospital-Queens
13. Lenox Hill
14. Lehigh Valley (PA)
Good luck to all 
Now, I didn't have to do anything more than certify my ROL, right? As long as it says "certified" I'm fine, right? Well, too late now! 🙂
1. University of Chicago
2. Stanford
3. Northwestern
4. OHSU
5. U Wisconsin
6. U Minnesota
7. Emory
8. University of Washington
9. Rush
10. Dartmouth
11. Mt. Sinai, NYC
12. UC Davis
13. Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston
14. Cornell
Yay! Now hope we can all try to relax this next month!
1. University of Chicago
2. Stanford
3. Northwestern
4. OHSU
5. U Wisconsin
6. U Minnesota
7. Emory
8. University of Washington
9. Rush
10. Dartmouth
11. Mt. Sinai, NYC
12. UC Davis
13. Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston
14. Cornell
Yay! Now hope we can all try to relax this next month!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So here goes mine (representing the southeast!!!!):
1. UAB
2. Vandy
3. Louisville
4. UVA
5. Emory
6. Baylor/Academic
7. Ohio State
8. UT Memphis
9. Texas A&M Scott & White
10. UT Southwestern
11. UT Chattanoog
12. UT Houston
13. UT San Antonio
1. UAB
2. Vandy
3. Louisville
4. UVA
5. Emory
6. Baylor/Academic
7. Ohio State
8. UT Memphis
9. Texas A&M Scott & White
10. UT Southwestern
11. UT Chattanoog
12. UT Houston
13. UT San Antonio
Finally, nothing else to do but wait....
#1 UAB (go home team)
#2 Mayo - Rochester
#3 Pittsburgh
#4 UT-Southwestern
#5 Penn
#6 Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison
#7 Univ. of Florida
#8 Massachusetts General
#9 Utah
#10 Univ. of Chicago
#11 Beth Israel - Deaconess
#12 Brown
#13 UNC - Chapel Hill
#14 MCG - Augusta
#1 UAB (go home team)
#2 Mayo - Rochester
#3 Pittsburgh
#4 UT-Southwestern
#5 Penn
#6 Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison
#7 Univ. of Florida
#8 Massachusetts General
#9 Utah
#10 Univ. of Chicago
#11 Beth Israel - Deaconess
#12 Brown
#13 UNC - Chapel Hill
#14 MCG - Augusta
happy puppet said:Now, I didn't have to do anything more than certify my ROL, right? As long as it says "certified" I'm fine, right? Well, too late now! 🙂
Yup you're fine - at least, that's what I've been told 🙂.
Good luck everyone!!
#1 Mount Sinai, NYC
#2 St. Lukes-Roosevelt, NYC
#3 Northwestern, Chicago
#4 Beth Israel, NYC
#5 Rush, Chicago
#6 Michigan, Ann Arbor
#7 Georgetown, DC
#8 UAB, Birmingham
#9 Tufts, Boston
#10 Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston
#11 Carolinas, Charlotte
#12 U of Illinois, Chicago
Good luck everybody!
#2 St. Lukes-Roosevelt, NYC
#3 Northwestern, Chicago
#4 Beth Israel, NYC
#5 Rush, Chicago
#6 Michigan, Ann Arbor
#7 Georgetown, DC
#8 UAB, Birmingham
#9 Tufts, Boston
#10 Beth Israel Deaconess, Boston
#11 Carolinas, Charlotte
#12 U of Illinois, Chicago
Good luck everybody!
aiiiite, ill play
1. Rush
2. UIC
3. U Florida-Shands
4. U Iowa
5. Loma Linda
6. UIC Metro Group
7. UIC Peoria
8. UT Knoxville
9. SLU
10. Beaumont
11. St Joseph (Chicago)
12. Maricopa
good luck guys. 🙂
1. Rush
2. UIC
3. U Florida-Shands
4. U Iowa
5. Loma Linda
6. UIC Metro Group
7. UIC Peoria
8. UT Knoxville
9. SLU
10. Beaumont
11. St Joseph (Chicago)
12. Maricopa
good luck guys. 🙂
Coming out of the woodwork... My stomach is officially in knots.
1 Vanderbilt Univ Med-TN
2 Univ Louisville SOM-KY
3 Univ Mass Med School
4 Univ Maryland Med Ctr
5 U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas
6 U Tennessee COM-Memphis
Good luck everyone!!
1 Vanderbilt Univ Med-TN
2 Univ Louisville SOM-KY
3 Univ Mass Med School
4 Univ Maryland Med Ctr
5 U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas
6 U Tennessee COM-Memphis
Good luck everyone!!
WAHOO, halleluja, it's done!!!! 😀 😀 😀
1. Brigham
2. Mass General
3. Yale
4. Dartmouth
5. Brown
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Beth Israel Deaconess
8. U Mass
9. NYU
10. U Conn
1. Brigham
2. Mass General
3. Yale
4. Dartmouth
5. Brown
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Beth Israel Deaconess
8. U Mass
9. NYU
10. U Conn
ExtraCrispy said:WAHOO, halleluja, it's done!!!! 😀 😀 😀
Heh, I have no idea what your user icon is, but at first glance it looks like Wembly from Fraggle Rock!
yes, the idea that the list isn't certified correctly or the program numbers are somehow wrong keeps plaguing me. but i saw "certified ROL" and the words "paid" and "verified", so i'm holding on the belief that all went in ok. i think it's just the fear of not matching based on a technical SNAFU that concerns me.happy puppet said:Now, I didn't have to do anything more than certify my ROL, right? As long as it says "certified" I'm fine, right? Well, too late now! 🙂
that aside, here's the list. i can't believe i'm placing it in public after all this time....
1. hopkins
2. mgh
3. bwh
4. ucsf
5. wash u
6. stanford
7. upenn
8. iowa
9. tju
10. michigan
11. georgetown
fingers crossed for another 3 weeks. i can't wait to have it all settled.
1. Duke
2. Minnesota
3. Virginia
4. Baylor +2 years of research
5. Indiana
6. U Chicago
7. Mayo Jax
8. University of Florida
9. OHSU
10. Utah
2. Minnesota
3. Virginia
4. Baylor +2 years of research
5. Indiana
6. U Chicago
7. Mayo Jax
8. University of Florida
9. OHSU
10. Utah
1. penn
2. mgh
3. hopkins
4. wash u
5. cornell
6. duke
7. emory
8. columbia
9. vandy
10. nyu
11. northwestern
12. michigan
13. uva
14. maryland
15. bid
2. mgh
3. hopkins
4. wash u
5. cornell
6. duke
7. emory
8. columbia
9. vandy
10. nyu
11. northwestern
12. michigan
13. uva
14. maryland
15. bid
Here goes:
1. University of California - San Diego
2. University of Chicago
3. University of California - Irvine
4. Oregon
5. George Washington
6. Kaiser Permanente - So Cal
7. University of Illinois - Chicago
8. University of Minnesota
9. Loyola
10. Maryland
11. University of California - Davis
12. University of Southern California
13. Hennepin County Med Ctr, Minneapolis
14. UCLA - Harbor
15. University of Tennessee, Memphis
16. UIC - Metro Group
17. Washington Hospital Center
(Note the conspicuous lack of 7 year programs
)
1. University of California - San Diego
2. University of Chicago
3. University of California - Irvine
4. Oregon
5. George Washington
6. Kaiser Permanente - So Cal
7. University of Illinois - Chicago
8. University of Minnesota
9. Loyola
10. Maryland
11. University of California - Davis
12. University of Southern California
13. Hennepin County Med Ctr, Minneapolis
14. UCLA - Harbor
15. University of Tennessee, Memphis
16. UIC - Metro Group
17. Washington Hospital Center
(Note the conspicuous lack of 7 year programs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
2. NYP Hosp-NY Cornell-NY
3. Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
4. North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY
5. Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
6. SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
7. St Barnabas Med Ctr-NJ
Hope to see y'all at Sinai!
Godspeed to all...
2. NYP Hosp-NY Cornell-NY
3. Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
4. North Shore-LIJ Health Sys-NY
5. Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
6. SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
7. St Barnabas Med Ctr-NJ
Hope to see y'all at Sinai!
Godspeed to all...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
