Rank Order List 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) Louisville
2) Baylor- Dallas
3) UAB
4) Cleveland Clinic
5) Carolinas
6) Southwestern
7) Baylor- Houston, clinical
8) Methodist- Dallas
9) Emory
10) Kansas- KC
11) Colorado
12) Memphis

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

almost 4000 hits and only 50 replies..come on guys lets see those lists..

congrats to everybody.these ROL's are very impressive..

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone rank Columbia first?

can't believe we have to wait 3 wks to find out! This is going to be the longest 3 wks ever!

gl to everyone!

1) Hopkins
2) Wash U
3) MGH
4) Emory
5) Mich
6) UVA
7) Vandy
8) Stanford
9) Northwestern
10) UNC
11) UMD

i think i'd be pretty much be happy anywhere on that list - now i just gotta match

long time reader . . . first time poster . . .

1. hopkins
2. brigham
3. mgh
4. cornell
5. washu
6. uva
7. vandy
8. michigan
9. ucsf
10. columbia
11. ucla
12. udub
13. baylor-houston (academic)
14. utsw
15. louisville

best wishes to all

So someone asked for some insight into why we ranked the programs the way we did. I thought about this list for so long that I have a LOT to say about why it is the way it is. Being that I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs in radiology here's my long winded explanation:

My top priority was being in NYC. For me this is where all my family and friends are and I will definitely be relying on this social net quite a lot during the grueling surgery residency. I went to school about 4 hours from the city and found myself going back to NYC every chance I got. I grew up in the city and I absolutely love it there. I'll be working hard for the next 5 years I want to have the opportunity to enjoy whatever free time I do have by spending it with my friends and family in the city. So as you can see my top 9 programs are all in the city. If I'd interviewed at 15 city programs all 15 would've made the list but the island of Manhattan only has so many hospitals.

My second priority was being at an academic center. For that reason you see the 4 academic centers listed first and the community programs after. Deciding among the 4 academic centers in NY was pretty hard as they are all great places to train. I put Cornell first because I got a good vibe when I was there, I love the location and housing and the affiliation with Sloan was a big plus as well. They have great research opps and it seems that they want to train future leaders. NYU was next because I like the fact that they have a VA and I got the feeling that Bellevue was also a place where you get a lot of independence. It also seemed like they placed a really strong focus on resident education. Mt. Sinai next because I liked the residents, they seemed like a very collegial and friendly group. Also seems like there is a big focus on resident education here. Columbia was last among the 4 academics mainly b/c of the location. It's a great program but I would not want to live by the hospital. I also would like to avoid having to commute to work for the next 5 years. Again, I know the differences between these 4 places seems very trivial and they are. The programs are almost equal in my eyes. I'd be happy in any one of them.

The next 5 ranks were basically arranged by how academic/research oriented they are. I felt that St. Luke’s was the most research/academic type place and Lenox Hill was the least. The others fell somewhere in between on the spectrum.

As for the rest of the list, North Shore LIJ is very close to the city and seems like a great program with a new chair who is very well known. They encourage research and they rotate at a community and a private hospital so you get both types of experiences. RWJ is one of these places I fell in love with when I visited. If it was closer to the city it would probably be #1 on my list. But just like with med school I realized that I wouldn't be happy spending 5 years at a place I didn't like, even if I loved the hospital and program (I loved my med school but not so much the city it’s in). Stony Brook came next b/c it’s also a strong academic center. However, I did hear from many people that the residents aren't happy and that's also the feeling I got on interview day. On the flipside of that, this is where I went to undergrad and a lot of my friends are in residency here so not being happy at work would at least be partly compensated by being happy when I get home. NYMC was attractive because they do a lot of research on robotics and technology applications in surgery, something that interests me. The last two were almost a toss-up. Both are academic centers so that's a plus but I didn't get a good feeling at either one. Got a bit of a worse vibe from Einstein than from Downstate and that’s why it’s lower on my list.

So there you have it. I guess you can say that my decisions are based on lifestyle factors for the most part. I feel that you get enough cases (I don't buy all of the arguments that go something like "Cornell residents don't operate" b/c if they didn't operate enough their program wouldn't be accredited and they would not be producing the number of leaders in the field that they are) and can become a good surgeon at any of the above places but my happiness over the next 5-7 years is very important to me and hence the reasons for my choices.

Hope this helps some of you going through the process in the next few years.

Here's the list again:

1. Cornell
2. NYU
3. Mt Sinai
4. Columbia
5. St Lukes-Roosevelt
6. St. Vincent's
7. Beth Israel (NYC)
8. Cabrini
9. Lenox Hill
10. North Shore-LIJ
11. UMDNJ-RWJ
12. Stony Brook
13. NYMC-WMC
14. SUNY-Downstate
15. Einstein Montefiore

Good luck everyone :luck:

Okay, here goes.

1. OHSU
2. USC
3. Mt. Sinai
4. UCSF - prelim
5. U. Colorado
6. Dartmouth
7. Boston U

...and i fully realize this is a very erratic and odd list....

Does anybody remember the similar list from last year's seniors? I think it was entitled "care to share?" Anyway, it was very similar, including ROLs that seemed to belong to nobody but future Harvard Chairmen. It then deteriorated into:

Avg Guy: "these lists are BS," :mad:
Future Chairman: "Nu-uh, you're jealous," :cool:
Avg Guy: "I'd rather operate from day one!" :rolleyes:
Future Chairman: "Are you saying they don't operate at MGH? At least I'll contribute something to the field of medicine!" :cool:
Avg Guy: "Are you saying I won't contribute anything? You suck!" :mad:
Future Chairman: "No.....YOU suck!" :mad:
The chairman ended up sounding condescending and the average guy sounded like a punk.....they both sounded pretty uninformed to me.... :sleep:

I wish I didn't enjoy the smilies so much...they're kind of emasculating.

I think there are a good deal of people who are qualified to train lots of different places and don't choose the academic powerhouses....but they're naturally going to be under-represented on the SDN. For me personally, I wanted a program near home (Omaha), with a strong surgical education, lots of OR, Great fellowship matches, and a decent lifestyle....we'll see if I get what I want.....

I wonder if the same arguments will erupt this year.....entertaining either way. However, I am bummed that there aren't more people who want to train in the midwest speaking up....

1. KU-Wichita
2. MSU/Grand Rapids
3. Good Samaritan-Cincinnati
4. KU- Kansas City
5. Missouri- Columbia
6. U Nebraska-Omaha
7. Med Coll Georgia-Augusta
8. Baylor U-Dallas
9. U Illinois-Chicago
10. SLU- St. Louis
11. OU- Tulsa
12. Mayo Clinic- Rochester
13. UMKC- Kansas City
14. MSU-Kalamazoo

Ive actually been surprised at how low mgh etc.. is on most peoples lists. I myself ranked based upon a multitude of factors, which actually went against what some would traditionally label top programs. To each his own.

did anyone rank cincy first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Soon2BENT said:
did anyone rank cincy first?

I don't think its really fair to ask unless you put your own ranks down. ;)

Tater said:
I don't think its really fair to ask unless you put your own ranks down. ;)

rank list cant by changed now so what difference does it make?

Soon2BENT said:
rank list cant by changed now so what difference does it make?

They don't want to share with someone who isn't sharing. :thumbup:

SLUser11 said:
Does anybody remember the similar list from last year's seniors? I think it was entitled "care to share?" Anyway, it was very similar, including ROLs that seemed to belong to nobody but future Harvard Chairmen. It then deteriorated into:

Avg Guy: "these lists are BS," :mad:
Future Chairman: "Nu-uh, you're jealous," :cool:
Avg Guy: "I'd rather operate from day one!" :rolleyes:
Future Chairman: "Are you saying they don't operate at MGH? At least I'll contribute something to the field of medicine!" :cool:
Avg Guy: "Are you saying I won't contribute anything? You suck!" :mad:
Future Chairman: "No.....YOU suck!" :mad:
The chairman ended up sounding condescending and the average guy sounded like a punk.....they both sounded pretty uninformed to me.... :sleep:

I wish I didn't enjoy the smilies so much...they're kind of emasculating.

I think there are a good deal of people who are qualified to train lots of different places and don't choose the academic powerhouses....but they're naturally going to be under-represented on the SDN. For me personally, I wanted a program near home (Omaha), with a strong surgical education, lots of OR, Great fellowship matches, and a decent lifestyle....we'll see if I get what I want.....

I wonder if the same arguments will erupt this year.....entertaining either way. However, I am bummed that there aren't more people who want to train in the midwest speaking up....

I totally agree with the points you made, and I'm glad you brought it up. I feel the same way. :thumbup:

I am just suprised that Baylor-Houston and Emory are not the top of people's ranking lists.I thought the programs were quiet good too.Ive heard that UAB is excellent and it has been consistently in the top of people's ROL.Anyways just an observation.Good luck to everyone ;may all of us match in the top choice programs.

Baylor? I liked them less than others. It was pretty, but there was an intensity to it, hard to explain. They just didnt joke around like I would like in as program. Plus, they lost Methodist - that will hurt.

I remember that they mentioned on interview day how losing Methodist this year wont affect them - and then they repeated that every 5th sentence? Thats a red flag.

Plastikos said:
Ive actually been surprised at how low mgh etc.. is on most peoples lists. I myself ranked based upon a multitude of factors, which actually went against what some would traditionally label top programs. To each his own.

Right on!

I deleted because it was too identifiable and I want to maintain my anonymity, if possible. I guess I can repost and throw in a red herring.

I thought the Baylor Houston program was good. I was concerned by the whole controversy that seems to still exist between the "divorce" from Methodist hospital that has been ongoing over the past few years. The Texas Medical Center will continue to flourish, I just didn't want to rank them #1 with such flux taking place. Still ranked them fairly high.

Emory is another great program. The Grady experience is a beast, coming from the mouth of one of my friends who was an intern this past year. Very top heavy, like most academic programs, but with good rotations through 6 different hospitals. Excellent research opportunities. Emory seems to be in a nice area, but some other parts of Atlanta are about as bad as anywhere. Ranked Emory high as well.

(Though I despise Alabama football) I felt like UAB had the best of everything that I was looking for in a program. Multiple hospital setting ("private" Kirklin clinic, va, childrens, university) all located in the same "block" within walking distance from parking garage. No "away rotations" to pack up and leave for (UVA, Louisville...though these rotations are notoriously good at these programs). Amazing research opportunities and funding. Entire medical system is strong, not just surgery (medicine, anesthesia, pediatrics...all considered "top programs") which is nice when having to deal with other services and consults. Nice city, more economical than the big name northeastern programs. The residents seemed like the most fun, hard-working guys that I'd met on the interview trail, laughing and joking around, even during the interview day. Everyone seemed happy. Overall, a complete academic program, excellent launching pad for fellowships and academic surgery. I ranked UAB #1 and will be anxiously waiting for match day for the results. Good luck to all.

yeah, the people at UAB were really cool - both faculty and residents.
But, you better not go single, there arent many people to date. Its a great place to go married though - pretty, great training, and you can buy a nice house close to campus.

Frictionbaby said:
I thought the Baylor Houston program was good. I was concerned by the whole controversy that seems to still exist between the "divorce" from Methodist hospital that has been ongoing over the past few years. The Texas Medical Center will continue to flourish, I just didn't want to rank them #1 with such flux taking place. Still ranked them fairly high.
the methodist thing seems to be a bigger deal to administrative types. it shouldn't really affect the new residents bc all those rotations are replaced by those at st. luke's. basically, it seems to boil down to replacing a rolls royce with a cadillac.

Frictionbaby said:
Emory is another great program. The Grady experience is a beast, coming from the mouth of one of my friends who was an intern this past year. Very top heavy, like most academic programs, but with good rotations through 6 different hospitals. Excellent research opportunities. Emory seems to be in a nice area, but some other parts of Atlanta are about as bad as anywhere. Ranked Emory high as well.
also surprised that emory featured so low on lists, considering how selective they seemed to be in granting interviews. toxic-megacolon: are you the one i overheard saying, "emory has no pacs. that's a deal-breaker"?

Frictionbaby said:
(Though I despise Alabama football) I felt like UAB had the best of everything that I was looking for in a program...[stuff deleted]...I ranked UAB #1 and will be anxiously waiting for match day for the results. Good luck to all.
also heard some nice stuff about uab. didn't even apply bc i'd heard so much about its malignancy--even from uab med students applying for gs.

This is in response to Alex's post, if people are interested in hearing another viewpoint on NYC programs. Note that Alex and I both decided to limit ourselves to NYC, so we have a ton of opinions about these programs - and our ROLs are still pretty different, with some similarities. This is my list again:
Mt Sinai
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
St Luke's Roosevelt
Einstein Montefiore
Beth Israel NYC
St Vincen'ts NYC
SUNY Downstate
Lenox Hill

Both of us put the top 4 NYC academic programs (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai) as the top 4 on our lists, but in different orders. Alex wouldn't listen to me when I warned him about Cornell ;) I put it #4 because it would be better to go there than to a less academic center, but I'm hoping I don't end up there. It's not just that the residents don't operate, it's that the residents are unhappy, and some of them are just schmucks. Sure, maybe it is just the ones I worked with when I was there, but I don't want to take that risk. The major benefit of Cornell is Memorial Sloan Kettering - but honestly, there are ample opportunities to make connections there if you want to. Many surgery residents in NYC take a year or two off to do research at MSK.

Columbia's location isn't the best. But it would be fun to live on the west side for a few years after being on the east side. And a lot of the residents do not have cars.

Mt Sinai :love: What can I say? This seems like such a great place - the residents are happy and the new PD is very involved in resident education and research. I got pretty bad feedback from the PD, so I don't think I have a shot in hell of matching here, but it seems like a great place to spend 5-6 years. Also, I think its reputation will continue to rise.

NYU: They really impressed me on interview day. But after talking with a few NYU students, I think the interview day probably wasn't completely accurate (as I'm sure it isn't at any place). I don't think NYU is malignant, as its reputation would have you believe, but I do think that it is a "tough guy" sort of place, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

St Luke's Roosevelt: Not the most academic place in the city, but seems like a very good place to work and there are ample opportunities for research and making other connections in the city. I'd be very happy here.

Einstein: Ugh, I had a lot of trouble with this one. It's a good academic name, but so far up in the Bronx. The location is just awful. I ended up ranking it 6th, but considered putting it #7 or #8.

BI NYC: Hmm. Well, at least it is in a great location. And they kept emphasizing on the interview day that they LOVE IT! when people do time off for research.

St Vincent's: I hated the place on interview day. But what a sweet location. And that housing was awesome.

SUNY Downstate: I'm just not a Brooklyn person. But they are strong on research, especially medical science stuff involving other fields, as they have the rest of SUNY there. But I would hate this location even more than the Bronx.

Lenox Hill: Residency would probably be laid-back, but not research-oriented at all. Don't even think about it.

exlap said:
I'm particularly surprised by the relatively high ranking B.I. in NYC got from some of you. Any reason?
I guess you probably aren't talking about me, since I only ranked it #7, but I'll comment anyway. I think the draw for BI is that the location is great and the residents seemed pretty relaxed. If you aren't set on being in academics then I think it woud be a very good place to go.

With regards to NYC programs,

What were your impressions of the operative experience at Columbia compared with Cornell, Sinai, NYU?

I'm getting the sense that location seems to be among the top 2 reasons for choosing one program over another.

FYI, I'm not in the running this year for a residency spot. I'm just curious.

exlap said:
What were your impressions of the operative experience at Columbia compared with Cornell, Sinai, NYU?

I'm getting the sense that location seems to be among the top 2 reasons for choosing one program over another.
Oops, I just realized that I forgot to talk about the positives at Columbia, and only mentioned the location in response to Alex's post. It seems like the operating experience at Columbia is better than at most NYC programs, and definitely better than Cornell. Their overall numbers are better (1500 cases, though this may be inflated by smaller cases) and it seems like the fellows don't steal cases the way that they do at Cornell - at least the residents aren't as bitter about the fellows as they are at Cornell.

I'll add more later. I'm supposed to be writing a paper right now and I need to get back to that before I lose track completely :)

ok.

1. Cincinnati
2. NYU
3-7 Non-surgical fields
8-13 Surgery

PM me if you want more info. i may be the only person on here that wants his #3 more then his 1 or 2.

scrappy said:
the methodist thing seems to be a bigger deal to administrative types. it shouldn't really affect the new residents bc all those rotations are replaced by those at st. luke's. basically, it seems to boil down to replacing a rolls royce with a cadillac.

also surprised that emory featured so low on lists, considering how selective they seemed to be in granting interviews. toxic-megacolon: are you the one i overheard saying, "emory has no pacs. that's a deal-breaker"?

also heard some nice stuff about uab. didn't even apply bc i'd heard so much about its malignancy--even from uab med students applying for gs.

I agree with you. I think St. Lukes will be an excellent replacement for Methodist for the Baylor residents. However, from the things that I had read online, the biggest issue involving the "administrative types" was some of the top surgeons (and even other depts like path, neuro, etc) choosing to stick with Methodist and leave their Baylor affiliations since they had such a large patient base built at Methodist (and the money Methodist offered was supposedly quite superior). Also, Methodist was also supposedly doing some behind the scenes recruiting of Baylor faculty to keep them. Like you said, this may not affect the residents all that much, but again, if I could get into a good program with less flux going on, that was my hopes. I'd be perfectly happy at Baylor if I happen to match there.

Interesting site if you haven't seen it regarding the entire history of the Baylor Methodist split and the changes in faculty:

http://blog.kir.com/archives/cat_news_baylormethodist_split.asp

As for Emory:
They are selective because they can be. They get a tremendous amount of apps, and due to the Emory name, they attract apps from some of the top candidates, especially in this region. Grady is years (decades?) behind the rest of the world in efficiency. Still has films that must be rounded up by students and interns (16 floors of hell is how my friend put it), nothing computerized (no pacs) and the word is they will likely not be switching to computerized anything anytime soon, lots of scut like wheeling your patients to and from OR/Xray. Though I don't think surgery residents should be above pushing their own patients around, with the workload that Emory residents have, they have remarked how hard it is to get things done and how frustrating it is at Grady. I think Emory is a great program and the Grady experience is probably helpful from learning surgery "in the trenches".

UAB still has a lot of negatives attributed to its past in which it was notoriously "malignant". I think this word gets tossed around so much that it sometimes loses its meaning. Take my program (UT Memphis) for example. Read the scutwork.com posts and you'd think this was the worst program on the planet. Notriously "malignant" something I've found to be totally untrue. The attendings demand excellence. If you screw up, you're gonna catch hell...which is to be expected. If you walk a tight rope and go above and beyond for your patients, you're praised. Some of the most "malignant" surgeons are some of the most respected and best surgeons around...if I were sick I'd won't no one other than them taking care of me. Some "old school malignancy" is probably not a bad thing (in my own opinion) if nothing else it keeps you on your toes and makes you want to go the extra mile, if only to keep the attendings off your tail. Granted, no one wants to be treated like chezia for 5 years. I was glad to see that UT Memphis made several rank lists (though no #1's), even on lists where big name northeast schools were highly ranked.

Soon2BENT said:
ok.

1. Cincinnati
2. NYU
3-7 Non-surgical fields
8-13 Surgery

PM me if you want more info. i may be the only person on here that wants his #3 more then his 1 or 2.
why'd ya put 'em 1 and 2 if ya want 3 more? letting fate play a hand or what?
just curious.

exlap said:
With regards to NYC programs,

FYI, I'm not in the running this year for a residency spot. I'm just curious.

Like I said in my previous post, I feel that the operative experience is adequate no matter where you go. If a place didn't have adequate operative experience it wouldn't be accredited. Whether you do 1200 or 1300 cases isn't going to make a huge difference in your ultimate skills as a surgeon. From many of the residents and attendings I spoke with the overwhelming majority say that you acquire most of your technical skills in fellowship/practice and not in residency. The best way to acquire operative skills is when you are ultimately responsible for the case. Being the attending is very different from being a resident where, even as a chief, you know that the attending is right there to bail you out.

This is especially true if you are planning to do a fellowship (I am). The skills most pertinent to your practice will be acquired in fellowship training and the first few years of practice when you are actually doing procedures in your field as opposed to doing tons of gen surg stuff. I was reading the CT forums yesterday and lots of attendings/fellows on there stressed the point that doing GI procedures which are a bit more "rough" does not in a major way prepare you for the coronary anastamosis you'll have to perform during a CABG. This is especially true lately with the advent of staples for bowel anastamoses and the decrease in the use of the two layer technique. The same goes for other specialties as well. Each has its own set of skills. While you will do some vascular/onc/CT/etc as a resident its nowhere nearly enough to give you the skills you'll ultimately need to specialize in that field.

That being said, I feel that the important aspect of a residency program is not the number of cases you do but rather the fellowship placement you will have upon completion. The bigger name programs have attendings who are better known in their respective fields and can help you form connections, write you letters, make phone calls for you, etc to help get you into a fellowship where you will not only get good training but have good job outlooks when you finish. Again, from the CT forums it seems that the fellows coming out of top name programs seem to have no troubles landing good jobs whereas those coming from lesser known fellowships are struggling. I imagine this is true for other fellowships also. I'd much rather land a good job after fellowship than do an extra 300 cases as a resident. I think most will agree with this.

For all these reasons I really didn't put much emphasis on the number of cases you do as a resident in making up my ROL. Some might disagree with my reasoning and in that case, if case load is important to you, I'd say go to a community program with no fellows at all and you'll operate a ton. It is also very hard to judge case load from statistics given on interview day because statistics can be manipulated and I don't think you ever get a truly accurate picture.

On the limited info I do have if I had to rank the 4 academic programs in the city based on case load alone I'd probably say Sinai > Columbia > NYU > Cornell. However, the differences are so minute and insignificant that I honestly don’t believe it matters in the long run (hence the consideration of other factors in making up my ROL). This is just my "feeling" and could be WAY off.

geekgirl said:
why'd ya put 'em 1 and 2 if ya want 3 more? letting fate play a hand or what?
just curious.

Hopefully Dr. Ian Malcolm was right when he said, "Life finds a way".

Ergo said:
yeah, the people at UAB were really cool - both faculty and residents.
But, you better not go single, there arent many people to date. Its a great place to go married though - pretty, great training, and you can buy a nice house close to campus.

:confused: westcoaster here.. what is UAB?

imtiaz said:
aiiiite, ill play

1. Rush
2. UIC

good luck guys. :)

Imitaz, I hope all goes well for you. Rush was my first choice of my Chicago programs, and likely would have been first on my list had I not been trying to get my husband back to Boston.

AlexRusso said:
Like I said in my previous post, I feel that the operative experience is adequate no matter where you go. If a place didn't have adequate operative experience it wouldn't be accredited. Whether you do 1200 or 1300 cases isn't going to make a huge difference in your ultimate skills as a surgeon.
sorry, i disagree. there is a huge difference in doing 700 majors and 1500 majors. not only from a technical aspect, but also in dealing with complications, post-op care, etc.

From many of the residents and attendings I spoke with the overwhelming majority say that you acquire most of your technical skills in fellowship/practice and not in residency. The best way to acquire operative skills is when you are ultimately responsible for the case. Being the attending is very different from being a resident where, even as a chief, you know that the attending is right there to bail you out.

true, being an attending is quite different. all the more reason to be at a program that allows you to be the attending as a chief. on the interview trail i talked with multiple chiefs and attendings at different programs who pissed all over some fellows coming from 'big name' programs stating "he/she couldn't operate out of a paper bag, even with an attending present". suffice it to say, it took more than a year of fellowship to bring said fellows up to par with the 4th and 5th year residents.

my whole point is that if you learn how to operate and manage your patients as a resident, you can focus on the index cases as a fellow, all the while not stealing 'lesser' cases from your residents in order to practice.

fishmonger69 said:
true, being an attending is quite different. all the more reason to be at a program that allows you to be the attending as a chief. on the interview trail i talked with multiple chiefs and attendings at different programs who pissed all over some fellows coming from 'big name' programs stating "he/she couldn't operate out of a paper bag, even with an attending present". suffice it to say, it took more than a year of fellowship to bring said fellows up to par with the 4th and 5th year residents.

my whole point is that if you learn how to operate and manage your patients as a resident, you can focus on the index cases as a fellow, all the while not stealing 'lesser' cases from your residents in order to practice.

Chiefs/attendings at programs that are not 'big name' are always gonna "piss all over" the fellows coming out of big name places. They gotta distinguish themselves from the 'big name' programs somehow and get you interested in coming to their program. If they are so "upset" with these fellows who according to them have two left hands growing out their ass, why do they accept them into their fellowship programs? Shouldn't they know better?

Surgery is a pretty tight knit community. Wouldn't you think if word on the street was that residents from prestigious program X can't operate, presitgious X chiefs would have trouble placing into top notch fellowships? Doesn't seem to be the case.

Can you explain to me why residents from 'big name' programs place at good fellowships and, more importantly, go on to be leaders in their fileds despite their apparent lack of skill in the O.R.?

This is not to say that I think that the name or reputation of a program is the end-all, be-all reason for choosing one residency over another. A look at my rank list should suffice in proving that I believe there are a host of other factors to consider. I just do not believe that the case load should be a major consideration, for the above reasons. One caveat though, if you don't have aspirations of being a leader in the field and are not considering fellowships but would be quite content being "the" community surgeon in a small town then case load is something you should give more weight to. There are plenty of applicants like this out there and plenty of programs for them. Thats the beauty of this system. There are tons of programs, each offering something a bit different, allowing each candidate to rank the ones most closely geared towards their personal goals and values.

Here goes my ROL:
1. UCSF-East Bay
2. University of Vermont
3. Yale
4. Mt. Sinai
5. SUNY Stony Brook
6. NYMC Lady of Mercy
7. NY Methodist

Someone shoot me...I'm gettin really antsy just waiting!

pinstripes said:
long time reader . . . first time poster . . .

1. hopkins
2. brigham
3. mgh
4. cornell
5. washu
6. uva
7. vandy
8. michigan
9. ucsf
10. columbia
11. ucla
12. udub
13. baylor-houston (academic)
14. utsw
15. louisville

best wishes to all

pinstripes, welcome to the list (as a poster) :)
I was curious as to the placement of your west-coast programs - why ucsf then ucla then udub? Just asking because I'm from the west, so have a certain impression of these three programs and felt that both udub and ucsf were very similar - they both impressed me much more than ucla did. don't know if this was due to any biases that I've learnt in going to school around here though...
Also, how did you think they compared to the eastern strongholds like hopkins, etc?

AlexRusso said:
From many of the residents and attendings I spoke with the overwhelming majority say that you acquire most of your technical skills in fellowship/practice and not in residency.
This is especially true if you are planning to do a fellowship (I am). The skills most pertinent to your practice will be acquired in fellowship training and the first few years of practice when you are actually doing procedures in your field as opposed to doing tons of gen surg stuff.
Alex, you know I respect and like you, but I think you have fallen for the Cornell propaganda. I have heard the "you learn to operate during fellowship" argument, but I've only heard it at ONE place: Cornell. Yes, Cornell residents have to learn to operate during their fellowships, but this isn't true for everyone. Good residency programs teach you how to operate DURING your residency. In my opinion, you should be able to leave a residency program and start out as a general surgeon without any extra training. I don't plan on doing this, as I plan on doing a fellowship, but I think that is the goal.

Here is something else that I've only heard at Cornell: "You may not get to actually do the case, but you learn a lot by watching." WTF?! This is surgery we're talking about. Yes, you learn a lot by watching, but you learn so much more when you are DOING.

And it isn't just the residents who say that Cornell fellows can't operate. One of my mentors, an attending, told me that the reputation of Cornell graduating residents is that they have a good academic background in surgery, but that they still need to learn how to operate. This attending had no agenda; he was just telling me what he had heard and seen.

Despite all of this, I'm sure that Cornell residents aren't complete fools in the OR and that they do learn to operate - but maybe not as well as residents at other NYC programs.

If I had to rank the programs based on operating experience, I would say NYU or Columbia > Mount Sinai >>> Cornell.

The final thing about Cornell is the residents. I know a couple of great residents there, but I also know a few complete @ssholes. I must have just happened to get stuck with jerks. :rolleyes: If I end up matching at Cornell (please god, no), I'm hoping that the residents are nicer to each other than they are to medical students. And I hope that I won't feel the need to spend all day searching for open urology spots like one of the residents.

hey nyc kids. this may be an unwanted comment, but i just wanted to point out that our lists are in now and our fates (to the best of our knowledge are sealed). so criticizing each other's potential new work places may not be constructive. i'm sure your differences of opinion are what led you to make different selections/ROLs.

but at this time of year when tensions are running high, perhaps we can just let everyone live with their lists and protect their potential futures in their own minds. i know that each time i talk to other gen surg applicant friends, i come away feeling far worse than i did before. even when they are offering words of encouragement or well-meaning commentary. because each one of us has a different perspective, different concerns, and different agendas. and all of us are living with a certain amount of unknown right now. and tension. i have a friend who was commenting on my absence of "love letters" to specific programs - when it's already too late now to send them. so perhaps we can each wallow in peace, feeling good (as much as we can) about our choices and potential fates.

don't wanna preach, but thought i'd point out that these sort of distinctions between programs, while helpful to some future applicants, may be a little ill-advised at this point in the season.

feel free to ignore this if you disagree.

Ergo said:
Right on!

I deleted because it was too identifiable and I want to maintain my anonymity, if possible. I guess I can repost and throw in a red herring.

Understandable, since it seems you have some sort of weird internet stalker. Good luck with that.

So I notice that I don't see Duke anywhere ... why? Are the rumors true about how poorly they treat residents?

geekgirl said:
but at this time of year when tensions are running high, perhaps we can just let everyone live with their lists and protect their potential futures in their own minds.
Sure. I don't mean to upset people. Note that even though I insult Cornell, I did still rank it #4.

I figured this was actually a pretty good time to give comments/advice for the third year students, since the fourth years still have all of their opinions on programs fresh in their minds - and since the ROLs are done we may be a bit more honest than we were before they were in. I know I'm willing to say more now since it won't hurt me if people figure out who I am, and I think Alex may be thinking something similar.

If this is upsetting people, though, I'll shut up :) Good luck everyone!

Oh, and everyone posting here needs to post again on the 16th stating where they matched ;)

robotsonic said:
I figured this was actually a pretty good time to give comments/advice for the third year students, since the fourth years still have all of their opinions on programs fresh in their minds - and since the ROLs are done we may be a bit more honest than we were before they were in. I know I'm willing to say more now since it won't hurt me if people figure out who I am, and I think Alex may be thinking something similar.

Oh, and everyone posting here needs to post again on the 16th stating where they matched ;)

I agree both with Geekgirl and robot, that 1) tensions are really high and we should be cognisant of that, and 2) this is a good time to give the upcoming fourth years advice. So, third-years, ask away, and we'll try to answer your questions - but perhaps we can keep it short, and you can PM us if you have further questions. Sound like a good compromise?

And yeah - we absolutely have to share our 16th info after going through all this together!
Let's make another thread for that though ..

Since the discussion of some of the NYC programs and Cornell vs. Columbia has come up, I thought I might add my two cents.

Residents:
Cornell: All of the residents were extremely friendly, seemed to have great rapport and a "have each other's backs" attitude. There was more than one instance when residents were getting hammered on call overnight and residents on other services would help out on their own accord. The team structure was very non-hierarchical, with it almost difficult to tell just based on interactions who was chief and who was intern.

Columbia: Definitely more of a "suck up and deal" attitude rather than "got your back". Residents seemed tired and overworked, with frequent tiffs between residents. Likely a reflection of the enormous workload in a hospital that makes everything more difficult. Unlike Cornell where the chiefs would tell students to come in, get the vitals and lets all round together, Columbia subI's were coming in as early as 4:30am (some earlier) and were expected to finish all the notes before the chief came, and weren't even given weekends off. Atmosphere definitely seemed not very collegial.

Leadership:
Cornell: The residents seemed to have a great relationship with the administration, especially the Chair and PD. The chair had weekly rounds, regularly held meetings with the residents, organized and conducted M&M etc. gestures I saw as indications of his commitment to the surgical program. Cornell is also starting their own liver transplant division, and I know the chair is instrumental in that. He also seems to command a great deal of respect both within the dept. as well as elsewhere (president of Society for Surg.Onc etc). Moreover, he is the nicest guy, an absolute gentleman and one of the most humble surgeons I have met given his prominence in the field of academic surgery.

The PD also seemed to have a great rapport with the residents, hanging out with them in the lounge, joking, and so on. His weekly topic discussions were a reflection of the laid back nature of their interactions, and this was evident to those who saw him at the bar night before interview day.

Although the hospital is supposedly run like a private hospital, it did not seem as if all attendings treated their patients like private patients. There were numerous instances where the chief was allowed to start complex cases with junior residents and the attending would show up hours later just to help out with the anastamosis and leave, with MSIV's regularly doing the opening and closing. OR teaching was overall great, with focus not just on technical details but possible complications, current treatment modalities and trials and so on.

Columbia: The fact that the chair doesn't come to any of the general surgery interviews, is completely uninvolved with the program (as per residents and info on interview day) and the ONLY attending addressing the candidates was the PD (who is likely going to retire in a few years) was discouraging. Some of the attendings I spoke to openly disclosed their discontent with the administration and because of this, said most attendings are apathetic towards teaching residents. This seemed to agree with some other info on Columbia attendings being unhappy eg: the numerous vascular attendings who recently left for St. Luke's. MSIV's also spent entire months on service without even doing a single closure.

Cornell's night before – almost everyone who could including the PD and another attending showed up. Columbia's night before – turnout mostly limited to interns (some who were ortho and stuff), NO CHIEFS!! On interview day, whereas Cornell seemed vibrant, lots of people enthusiastic about the place, Columbia seemed empty – the presentation to the interviewees was done by a chief resident (not even an attending!), and apart from her (who was likely asked by the PD to do it), there were NO SENIORS/CHIEFS AROUND to talk about their experiences nor were there any attendings apart from the PD and maybe two others. If you like your program, you should be enthusiastic about it and show up to sell it. It was a hard sell if the only residents tooting it were interns. Many of the interviewees echoed similar feelings (check out locitamd's post on interview experiences on Columbia).

Fellowships:
Cornell: Check them out yourself: http://www.cornellsurgery.org/resid...reer+Paths+of+Program+Graduates&type1=2Active

Great programs and a variety of specialties represented, including plastics matches at UCSF, NYU (2004), cornell/columbia, CT at MGH, WashU, Surg Onc at Memorial sloan, MDAnderson, transplant at UCSF and UPitt. Great fellowships = other programs must consider cornell residents very highly + cornell must have very supportive administration to get residents to where they want to be + the deal on "cornell residents don't operate" must be bogus as obviously other institutions hold them in high regard.

Columbia: Check it out: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/residency/graduates.html

Not as broad representation of specialties (very heavy CT, Tranplant), almost no plastics, very few onc with only 2 onc. fellowship in over 10 years (one which was breast). Even all the CT, transplant fellowships heavily matching at Columbia. I didn't like that fact that Columbia residents weren't venturing out for even CT and Tranplant fellowships, areas they are supposed to be better in. And if they are better than cornell in these specialties, why was I seeing CT at MGH, WashU and transplant at UCSF and Univ. of Pitt on Cornell's fellowship matches, but none of these for Columbia?

One area Columbia is likely stronger in is peds, with consistently very good fellowship matches and most likely a better peds surg experience by having a childrens hospital.

Location: Cornell, great location, great housing, nothing beats rolling out of bed into the hospital, home call a great plus. Columbia – location is horrible so even with subsidized housing, not a great location to live by any means. And although most residents live on the upper west side, commuting even 20mins can be extremely painful in NYC, especially going back in the evening. Also, considering Columbia's long hours, waking up at 4:00am (or earlier) to make that extra 20 min commute didn't seem appealing to me.

Training/OR experience: Columbia likely slightly more OR heavy than Cornell, but Cornell likely better all around training with better ICU rotations and so on. Also, I don't think making a good surgeon depends solely on the sheer number of cases you log as a resident. This in itself is a separate discussion but I think most would agree it is a mix of a lot of things. Cornell seemed to have all of it, with good operative numbers, good breadth of cases, great research opps, good didactics, great faculty, great residents and so on. Columbia, although anecdotally was supposed to have lots more operative exposure for residents, the seniors and chiefs were not terribly impressive in terms of operative skills (eg: fourth year residents holding single laparoscopic instruments with two hands). The lack of ICU experience at Columbia (I think only 2 months as a 2nd year) was evident in the billion consults for every little thing (plus questions to MSIV's such as "What is Plavix?"). The didactics also didn't seem highly academic, with not much emphasis of recent trials, new treatment modalities and so on.

OR volumes at Cornell had been criticized for being low. I found that the average cases logged by Cornell chiefs ranged from 850-1000 cases and these were the same numbers advertised by other big academic institutions such as MGH and Brigham on their interview days. I definitely don't believe the 1500 cases logged by Columbia chiefs. In city programs such as NYC, Boston where competition for cases is higher and fellowships exist, such numbers I don't think are possible anywhere - especially at Columbia considering poor ancillary facilities at Milstein. So my feeling was case load at Cornell was comparable to any other academic city program and the rumours on the trail were likely just that – very much like the "NYU is malignant" rumour which I know is completely unfounded.

I think most of your impressions of an institution depend on personal experiences so go with your gut. I think that among all the top institutions, there virtually is no difference and its just a matter of where you fit in. However, no matter how good a program is, it is not going to make you a good surgeon if you are miserable, hate the people you work with, are unmotivated and wish you were somewhere else. That being said, here's my list:

1. Cornell
2. Brigham
3. MGH
4. WashU
5. UCSF
6. UCLA
7. Hopkins
8. UPenn
9. NYU
10. Mt. Sinai
11. Columbia

robotsonic said:
Sure. I don't mean to upset people. Note that even though I insult Cornell, I did still rank it #4.

If this is upsetting people, though, I'll shut up :) Good luck everyone!

Yep. I also realize that tensions are high at this point but I remember much more about the programs now than I will after match day, and my posts now will be a lot more sincere and more helpful to future applicants than posts before the ROL deadline or after March 16.

Before the ROL deadline I was reluctant to post much for fear that someone at one of teh programs might figure out who I am and it would then impact on my ranking. Opinions after match day are going to be a very scewed b/c people are going to avoid saying anything at all negative about the place they match at. So I think this "purgatory" time is the best for posting honest opinions.

I hope none of what I say offends anyone. I really do not mean to put down the future workplace of anybody here. If I've come off this way I apologize. I just hope that these discussions can help future applicants in sorting out the minute differences between programs by getting other people's perspectives.

We can make a separate thread for this kind of talk and people who don't want to hear it can just not read that thread. Sound good?

So I notice that I don't see Duke anywhere ... why? Are the rumors true about how poorly they treat residents?

pedsid said:
Duke has a very specific vibe - you either like it or you don't. The residents are not poorly treated, but the training there is still more formal and heirarchical than at other programs. The interns and second years have to wear short coats and white pants for the first 2 years of the program. Residents MUST change out of scrubs when leaving the OR area - many programs say that this is a rule, Duke means it.
There is also a feeling I got there that the seniors always had to appear that they knew more than their juniors, even if under specific circumstances that was not always the case (i.e. the heirarchy dictates that those more senior know more than those more junior, even if that is not true on specific minor points). Also there was somewhat of a feeling of **** rolling downhill to the lowest man on the totem pole, so it's your fault because you're lowest on the food chain. Many other places where I've worked had a very different vibe in which the chief felt responsible for keeping the team running smoothly and would excessively take responsibility for team actions, both good or bad.
Also, my impression was that the junior residents did not really get to operate much at all. This left them fairly inexperienced for their return to the OR (after 2 years in a lab) as a clinical 3rd year without a firm basis of technical and decision-making skills. They then were expected to know how to operate or at least perform more complicated surgeries without good preparation, leading some of them to be a little gunshy.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but this was my impression after rotating there. In fact, the attendings are really great and supportive of the residents, but I think there are lingering traces of the Sabistanian system without the strengths of the old way of doing things. Hope that helps a little. I'm not down on the place, believe it or not, it's just lower on my list than some others. I just think it is well-suited for specific personality types who can ignore some of these kinds of variables.

1. U of I metro
2. U of I
3. MSU Grand Rapids
4. Henry Ford
5. Beaumont
6. St. Joseph in Ann Arbor
7. Wayne State
8. Wright State
9. U if I Peoria
10. Northwestern

I agree with different strokes for different folks and I've felt like my modest ambitions have no place on SDN....so I dont post much. But I love my rank list and am proud of what I've done in med school.
Just want to be a good bread and butter surgeon and open my practice out in the middle of nowhere. I want to canoe home from work :)
Good luck to everyone!!!

AlexRusso said:
Before the ROL deadline I was reluctant to post much for fear that someone at one of teh programs might figure out who I am and it would then impact on my ranking. Opinions after match day are going to be a very scewed b/c people are going to avoid saying anything at all negative about the place they match at. So I think this "purgatory" time is the best for posting honest opinions.

Very well said, AlexRusso. The information surgical residency applicants of this year volunteer now is for the benefit of future surgical applicants.