***Azpod 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gangrene

AZPOD 2011
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since some of the other schools have a thread for their accepted students, I thought I would do the same. I tried once to see if any azpoders are out there, but hopefully this will find some others besides myself and chettos.

Members don't see this ad.

*crickets* I must admit I am jealous of all the excitement happening in the other school's acceptance threads :laugh: Who wouldn't want to go to school in AZ with year round warm weather and no blizzards :p But then again I know it's still early in the app process and that most ppl don't even know about SDN.

BTW, is your buddy from your school, who interviewed with us, planning to go to AZPOD?

Cheetos. Happy Holidays. Hope you are having a nice break. No, the other guy is going to Des Moines. I was thinking as you are, I think most people don't know about sdn, and Azpod only take around 30. Good luck next semester, see you in about 7 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Happy Holidays & New Yrs to you too. Goodluck with the last semester of undergrad! :D

i'll be in the azpod class entering in Fall 07, and it looked like this thread could use another member to post on it.

Welcome to the forum and the school! Where do you hail from?

(this has nothing to do with you, but GO GATORS!!!)

I'm from NC....GO DUKE!!! How about Blue Devils and Gators in the national championship, that'll be my early prediction (Duke 71 - Florida 68).

And I'm looking forward to getting to AZPOD. I'm ready to get away from NC and go to year-round warm weather, too. Hopefully I'll find some people out there to go wakeboarding with.

how many students per entering class at AZPod? did you say 30?

for all you guys, what made you choose AZPod over any other schools you interviewed at or were accepted at?

how many students per entering class at AZPod? did you say 30?

for all you guys, what made you choose AZPod over any other schools you interviewed at or were accepted at?

There were many factors, but in the end just a few key things made up my mind. I knew I had to go to either DMU or AZPOD, because I believe the teachers and courses are superior. Let me emphasize THAT IS WHAT I BELIEVE. I am not trying to degrade the other schools, slam them, etc. That is what I personally concluded after a lot of research and conversations.

That was my main factor. Secone, I wanted to stay semi-close to home for my wifes sanity (she is very close with her mother and I wanted her to be able to get home and visit with more ease).

Finally, it just felt right. When I was there, and had my interview and tour, I just KNEW that was the right place for me and my family. Most people here on the forums will tell you the same thing; you have to go where it feels right to you.

well, after dodging other acceptance letters, azpod finally sent me my acceptance information.
750 deposit????
oh well, ill give blood if i have to.
since azpod was my main choice- i was getting worried i would not be accepted there. but now that i know, im going to have to pay, either way im one happy dude

any one living on campus??

They have on campus housing at AZPOD? That's pretty cool. Would you guys who were accepted mind posting your stats? I'm curious to what GPA/MCAT scores the school is looking for. Thanks!

As for reasons for me choosing azpod.

I love the campus. I agree with dr gangrene in his description of it "just feeling right"
Ive never spent a summer in az, so im sure I may change my story later… but right now i was nothing but impressed with the architecture of Glendale.
Lastly my contact with teaching staff sealed the deal! At Chicago and des moines the admittance staff was wonderful, in fact FANTASTIC!!!
however,
The teaching staff was hit or miss(my opinion). I went in to both school after the interview day to get the real view of the schools. No tourguide, just wandering. I recommend this to all students. Go look around the school after the tour when everyone is doing their normal thing.
But at azpod the staff who interviewed me as well as those I talked to were nothing but down to earth and seemingly well traveled folk. There were some staff at other schools that kind of seemed to live only in their small world filled with only science and podiatry. Though im sure they are all much smarter then I and nessasary in teaching podiatry as a whole. I personally want to be able to relate to and respect my profesors.
According to my view point, azpod was filled with just decent people. And yes every barrel has one bad apple.

Maybe its because azpod is young, and their egos have not gotten to big yet ;)

The only other way I can describe it "feeling right" was using sdn as a exsample. There are some students on this forum that get hostile very quickly if you rub them the wrong way. One school more then all others seems to produce students like this. I will not say which one since it will do no good. i encorage other students to watch for this and decide, "Do i want to be sitting next to this guy at *** school"
However, azpod seemed to be filled with people that left their egos outside of the school.
Something that is very important to me, but may be not for others.
i will be the first to say that the anatomy gate lab at chicago was much more impressive then what azpod had, still it all depends on what each student wants out of a dpm school.
a good deal of my scholastic undergraduate problems were never caused not having the cutting edge in technology in lab..they came from other human sorces.
:thumbup:

sure. i think im a lower end when it comes to canidates stats. one reason im grateful in getting accepted.

3.** chem major

i will say, it seemed to me the interviewers asked many questions to understand who i was. they did ask about any my ability to handle med school paced classes. but it seemed to me they were considering many things beyond my gpa.

but im just lucky one guy

Members don't see this ad :)
For campus housing, you better register quickly because there are not that many units left.

I think the interview process was harder for the class of 2011 since they expanded their acceptance committee by a lot. There seems to be a lot more applicants as well. Congratulations!

For campus housing, you better register quickly because there are not that many units left.

I think the interview process was harder for the class of 2011 since they expanded their acceptance committee by a lot. There seems to be a lot more applicants as well. Congratulations!

Glad to see more fellow SDN folks joining us at AZPOD this fall :D Thanks for reminding me about the housing situation. Been busy with school and almost forgot about it :oops:

JEWmongous said:
They have on campus housing at AZPOD?

Yea they have an apartment complex located right on campus (5 min walk to class :D ) They look pretty nice too. They have pics on their website

well, after dodging other acceptance letters, azpod finally sent me my acceptance information.
750 deposit????
oh well, ill give blood if i have to.
since azpod was my main choice- i was getting worried i would not be accepted there. but now that i know, im going to have to pay, either way im one happy dude

any one living on campus??

Congrats on the acceptance!! :thumbup: As for "just feeling right" I definitely agree with you and Dr. G. AZPOD has a very positive vibe and the students seem to work together really well. Everthing just feels right about the campus, location, and environment. Now the only thing we have to do is prepare for the billion degrees summer weather :laugh: Hope to see you this fall.

i wish the weather would stay at the temp it was at when i visited. a nice 75 :love:
but apparantly its up around 110 most of the time.
as for living on campus, i would love to, but its expensive.

my father in law claimed there were places for rent in buckeye az, for like 400? any thoughts on if thats a good deal, or a bad place?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO future pod-mates! I hope I will be meeting everyone here at some point in Arizona and I hope ya'll as nice in person as you are here :D

As I am planning to hop on over to Arizona, I've been looking at apartments and don't know where to start. If you live in an apartment nearby campus, how do you like your place? I'm checking on rentnet.com and found Isle at Arrowhead Ranch decent enough. Any suggestions?

I'm from NC....GO DUKE!!! How about Blue Devils and Gators in the national championship, that'll be my early prediction (Duke 71 - Florida 68).

And I'm looking forward to getting to AZPOD. I'm ready to get away from NC and go to year-round warm weather, too. Hopefully I'll find some people out there to go wakeboarding with.

What happened to duke?:smuggrin:

As for reasons for me choosing azpod.

I love the campus. I agree with dr gangrene in his description of it “just feeling right”

Welcome to the club. Heat is just like cold or humidity; it is something you just get used to (then again, some people never get used to them :laugh: )
I am glad we finally have some other people on the azpod thread. It will be a blast! Where are you from?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO future pod-mates! I hope I will be meeting everyone here at some point in Arizona and I hope ya'll as nice in person as you are here :D

As I am planning to hop on over to Arizona, I've been looking at apartments and don't know where to start. If you live in an apartment nearby campus, how do you like your place? I'm checking on rentnet.com and found Isle at Arrowhead Ranch decent enough. Any suggestions?

So are you coming to azpod? I have heard surprise is nice, but a bad commute in (one road in and out that is very busy). I spoke w/ one of our clinical instructors who practices in surprise. He said they are working on making it into a parkway and speeding up the commute. Other then that, I really don't know.

Welcome and congrats. :thumbup:

hey tea tu- your getting a early start on looking. sadly i wont be able to check anything out for a couple of months. im applying for on campus housing and hoping for the best.
i would really appreciate it if you could message me some time when your done looking - fill me in on what you found :thumbup:
in response to dr gangreen- im from hutchinson, ks. i used to live in western california. The area was similar to arizona, but a little cooler>:D

I was wondering, did any one find out if the gym at azpod was 24 hour access? i forget to ask. I had the pleasure of getting a membership at a local gym that stayed open 24 hours. It seems like my brain shuts down at around 11 pm, by then im only good for watching tv or working out... the second being more productive.
except if family guys/adult swim is on, then the only weight i lift is the remote :laugh:

kelus said:
I was wondering, did any one find out if the gym at azpod was 24 hour access? i forget to ask. I had the pleasure of getting a membership at a local gym that stayed open 24 hours. It seems like my brain shuts down at around 11 pm, by then im only good for watching tv or working out... the second being more productive.
except if family guys/adult swim is on:laugh:

I was wondering the same :laugh: I have a similiar biological clock. In fact, was planning to go jogging now, It's a warm nite out :thumbup:

Congrats Tea!! Glad to see that you've decided to join the winning team :D As for housing, I'm currently looking for housing myself. I really hope to get into the on-campus housing complex but we'll see what happens. Goodluck with the search and we'll be seeing u this fall :thumbup: BTW, where are you from?

Dr. G - How's the housing search going?

Congrats Tea!! Glad to see that you've decided to join the winning team :D As for housing, I'm currently looking for housing myself. I really hope to get into the on-campus housing complex but we'll see what happens. Goodluck with the search and we'll be seeing u this fall :thumbup: BTW, where are you from?

The SEARCH continues :laugh: I am looking for a house, since I have 3 bodies besides myself. My wife, 2 year old son, and we will be having a little girl in may. So I am searching. I was thinking surprise, but the commute appearst to be too heavy. I am now looking closer to the school. Let me know if you find a good apartment complex or hear of good houses.

hey dr green, congrats on the coming littler girl. i will be getting married this spring, so there is talk of kids.....:scared:
dont get me wrong, i look forward to the "next step"
but with graduation,marrying, moving and azpod, too much too soon!

what do you think? are kids managable in a busy schedual?
or just lot of chaos :)

oh and to every one else in azpod 2011, what kind of majors did every one come from?

hey dr green, congrats on the coming littler girl. i will be getting married this spring, so there is talk of kids.....:scared:
dont get me wrong, i look forward to the "next step"
but with graduation,marrying, moving and azpod, too much too soon!

what do you think? are kids managable in a busy schedual?
or just lot of chaos :)

oh and to every one else in azpod 2011, what kind of majors did every one come from?

I personally think kids don't have to be "manageable" (I do know what you mean, but think it is a bad choice of a word. It almost makes them seem like an object). But, I know what you are trying to say (hope you don't take offense).

It does not matter where you are in your life, kids will always take some of your time. My philosophy is, that if you want children, you should have them. There will always be an "excuse" not to (i.e. School, residency, getting your practice going etc). If you say, "I can't right now because I am in school," you will one day finish school. Then, "I can't because of residency". etc etc.

Now, having said that, you definetly should plan a little. You need to know your own limits and how much you can handle.

Sometimes, kids want to come. My wife and I were starting to talk about having children, and my son decided to break through the bc during deliberations. It was his time.

I can't describe how much joy my son brings me. It does not matter how much work or school I am dealing with. When I spend time with him, everything is ok. He is my generator. He gives me more energy and determination to keep going.

So, all of this is a very personal belief. Some people feel you should not have kids until you are done w/ school, have your career going, etc. It is up to the individual. I respect that people think differently on the subject. For me, I know I could always come up w/ a reason not too have them if I wanted.

I majored in CLS and Micro.

I majored in CLS and Micro.

:thumbup: One more CLS brother. Looks like more and more CLS are entering the field. During my research about this profession i found out that DPM can work as a Lab Director. So i guess if someone wants to continue their CLS skills in use, they can also open a moderate testing lab alongside practice.:)

after re reading what i wrote, i agree that "managible" was a poor choice of words. i glad you understood what i ment. i have alot to learn
since i have yet to have a kid, i have no idea what its like. Sadly in my mind kids right now are part of a equation. dont get me wrong, they are not just objects. im just trying to plan everything accordingly to see if there is enough time and money for them. Though ill be the first to admit when it comes to this whole family/marrige thing
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING:laugh:
But your are right dr green, i think they will happen before my life fits the required equation...
Yet your description of your view of your kids was wounderful! it made me very optomistic about my future. i hope to meet your son next year and mabye learn a couple of things :thumbup:

The SEARCH continues :laugh: I am looking for a house, since I have 3 bodies besides myself. My wife, 2 year old son, and we will be having a little girl in may. So I am searching. I was thinking surprise, but the commute appearst to be too heavy. I am now looking closer to the school. Let me know if you find a good apartment complex or hear of good houses.

Congrats on the upcoming baby papa G! Personally, I admire you guys/gals who have kids and are going to school especially grad school. My parents didn't go to college until after I was born and I witness the extra mile they had to undergo compared to their single friends. They had no regrets and in the end they were successful and I know you guys will be too :thumbup:

Bio-engineering major

So are you coming to azpod? I have heard surprise is nice, but a bad commute in (one road in and out that is very busy). I spoke w/ one of our clinical instructors who practices in surprise. He said they are working on making it into a parkway and speeding up the commute. Other then that, I really don't know.

Welcome and congrats. :thumbup:

why thank you, thank you :cool:

hey tea tu- your getting a early start on looking. sadly i wont be able to check anything out for a couple of months. im applying for on campus housing and hoping for the best.
i would really appreciate it if you could message me some time when your done looking - fill me in on what you found :thumbup:
in response to dr gangreen- im from hutchinson, ks. i used to live in western california. The area was similar to arizona, but a little cooler>:D

except if family guys/adult swim is on, then the only weight i lift is the remote :laugh:

I'm hoping to find a place around July and I might fly down there to screen some of the places I'm interested in. I do want to be near campus but not on it. I guess I do have 4 more months to look but I am just oh so excited to move out of this closet called a bedroom. :p

Thank you Cheeeeetos, I'm from the Bay Area :oops: whoot whoot!

anything is possible with global warming.

( I will get to 1000 posts tonight)

this is 998!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Cheeeeetos, I'm from the Bay Area :oops: whoot whoot!

Ohh niiceee! :D Finally someone on SDN that's more local. I'm from Sac, going to UCD rite now. Where did you go for undergrad?

to my fellow azpod'ers- did you guys know we get our own personal web postings on the midwestern website? i just found it. its on the "interact now" menu. at the top there is a icon that is the "application checklist" . next to it is the "team join" button that takes you to our azpodd 2011 group posting spot
there is also azpod 2010 group, housing info group.
sadly i did not find any good info from it.
its not very busy, but i dont think anyone knows about it!:)
spread the word.

Ohh niiceee! :D Finally someone on SDN that's more local. I'm from Sac, going to UCD rite now. Where did you go for undergrad?

I finished at UCSD undergrad. Looooooooove San Diego!

has any one heard from the on campus housing people? Any one get a place on campus yet??

im still waiting for the rest of my housing application materials, though they already have my money:confused:

You probably won't hear anything until mid to late march. Current students still have to notify housing if they are staying.

thanks for the info, i was wondering how the process worked. is it a lottery system for selecting who will fill open spots? or a first come first serve list? The housing guy i talked to was not very specific.

thanks for the info, i was wondering how the process worked. is it a lottery system for selecting who will fill open spots? or a first come first serve list? The housing guy i talked to was not very specific.

It is first come first serve. I think that if you get the housing packet, you have a good chance at getting housing. If it comes to worse, you do have an option of becoming a roomate for a two bedroom.

What's up everybody?
I'm new to this whole SDN stuff but I just wanted to say hi to everybody. I'm from Mesa, AZ (part of the Phoenix metropolitan area ~45 mins from Glendale) so I can answer any of your local questions.

My interview at AZPOD is on March 19th, I was wondering if you guys had any pointers for me, maybe some idea of what to expect. Any help is appreciated and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Here's some answers to some questions posted on this thread:

-Yes it snows in AZ but just in the mountains, never in the valley (Phoenix area). Closest ski resort is in Flagstaff (~1.5 hours from glendale)

-Yes it is hot here. I have lived here my whole life so I'm used to it, I can't handle the cold/humidity. Today the high is 86. From May to Sept. 95% of the days are 100+ ... but the rest of the year is beautiful.

That's it for now, talk to you all later.

sorry for the blank post

from my experience, you may want to right out all the things you want to say to the interview committee. I recommend this since they may be a large amount of time before the interview when you are sitting around waiting for each person to finish their interview. if your last on the interview schedual you will probably wait a little over two hours before its your chance. You may want to bring something to occupy yourself with for that two hours. Some students were pacing around for a hour out of nervousness and some boredom. These students seemed to get themselves worked up and stressed. I believe you should be as relaxed as possible to let you personality come through to the committee.
if you have something to read or do, like the thing writing I mentioned above, you will have some way to occupy your mind before the interview time. Also if you have to wait a long time, GO FOR A WALK around campus! its hard to get lost in, and the walk clears the mind and nerves.
plus you will be a suit so, you might as well strut around and look spiffy.:laugh:
as for what to do or say thats right, I really don’t know what I did right or wrong so… who knows. if you have any specific questions ied be glad to respond, i know when i applied every one was kind enough to respond to me :thumbup:

Im sure ill have questions about the area so im glad, you’re here. if you have any further specific questions about the acceptance/financial aid process, let me me know, I just completed mine.
good luck

What's up everybody?
I'm new to this whole SDN stuff but I just wanted to say hi to everybody. I'm from Mesa, AZ (part of the Phoenix metropolitan area ~45 mins from Glendale) so I can answer any of your local questions.

My interview at AZPOD is on March 19th, I was wondering if you guys had any pointers for me, maybe some idea of what to expect. Any help is appreciated and I'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Here's some answers to some questions posted on this thread:

-Yes it snows in AZ but just in the mountains, never in the valley (Phoenix area). Closest ski resort is in Flagstaff (~1.5 hours from glendale)

-Yes it is hot here. I have lived here my whole life so I'm used to it, I can't handle the cold/humidity. Today the high is 86. From May to Sept. 95% of the days are 100+ ... but the rest of the year is beautiful.

That's it for now, talk to you all later.

Hey. What do you think of living a ways away from the school. (like surprise,/elmirage or buckeye etc. Is the drive tolerable. I know it is nasty from surprise, but I am trying to buy a house for my family and I. The farther you get form phoenix (and the school) the cheaper the homes are. I don't mind a commute (<1 hour) if it helps me get a house. But I also don't want too long of a drive.

Any thoughts by Arizonans or others w/ knowledge would be appreciated.

P.s. Is it a better drive if you came from the north (say cordes junction) than from the south?

Is it too late in the game to apply to AZPOD

Kelus -
thanks for the tip, i'm sure it will come in very handy, especially because i'm a stress-case and would most likely have been freaking out if i had to go last.

Gangrene-
the drive from the north is pretty nasty too around rush hour, but traffic is nasty everywhere. have you looked into anthem? it's not as far north as cordes jct. so from there i can't imagine your drive could be more than 1 hour but houses should still be pretty cheap. just a thought.
good luck.

Hey. What do you think of living a ways away from the school. (like surprise,/elmirage or buckeye etc. Is the drive tolerable. I know it is nasty from surprise, but I am trying to buy a house for my family and I. The farther you get form phoenix (and the school) the cheaper the homes are. I don't mind a commute (<1 hour) if it helps me get a house. But I also don't want too long of a drive.

Any thoughts by Arizonans or others w/ knowledge would be appreciated.

P.s. Is it a better drive if you came from the north (say cordes junction) than from the south?

Gangrene,

I know everyone's budget is different, so Rule #1 is do what you can afford to do. That being said, you will want to live as close to campus as possible (even on-campus if you guys are ok with squeezing into a 2 bedroom).

The best way to find a place is to come here a few weeks early. First, go to Student Services. They have a book with current housing ads. This is how I found the home my family has lived in for 2.5 years (wife and son). For apartments, look at www.forrent.com or another rental website. However, for about the same cost you can live in a house (apartments are expensive, for Phoenix, around here). We opted for a house because it was the same cost and we got our own pool and biweekly pool servicing.

I think it is a great idea to drive around the area. It will help you learn the area and learn what neighborhoods you want to live in. Call on signs. I would plan an entire day or two to do this. We had 2 other homes lined up this way before deciding on the one from the Student Services ad. You should expect to pay more for rent around campus... usually $1000-1200/month for a house and +/- $200 for an apartment.

On a tighter budget, Surprise is a good way to go. The homes are newer and the area is pretty nice. It is a good drive away, however. There are several "middle" solutions (price and distance). You'll have to drive around but I'd recommend checking out the neighborhoods a few miles South (near Thunderbird International Business School and ASU West). They are older neighborhoods but a few hundred dollars less than the areas right around MWU.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

Gangrene,

I know everyone's budget is different, so Rule #1 is do what you can afford to do. That being said, you will want to live as close to campus as possible (even on-campus if you guys are ok with squeezing into a 2 bedroom).

The best way to find a place is to come here a few weeks early. First, go to Student Services. They have a book with current housing ads. This is how I found the home my family has lived in for 2.5 years (wife and son). For apartments, look at www.forrent.com or another rental website. However, for about the same cost you can live in a house (apartments are expensive, for Phoenix, around here). We opted for a house because it was the same cost and we got our own pool and biweekly pool servicing.

I think it is a great idea to drive around the area. It will help you learn the area and learn what neighborhoods you want to live in. Call on signs. I would plan an entire day or two to do this. We had 2 other homes lined up this way before deciding on the one from the Student Services ad. You should expect to pay more for rent around campus... usually $1000-1200/month for a house and +/- $200 for an apartment.

On a tighter budget, Surprise is a good way to go. The homes are newer and the area is pretty nice. It is a good drive away, however. There are several "middle" solutions (price and distance). You'll have to drive around but I'd recommend checking out the neighborhoods a few miles South (near Thunderbird International Business School and ASU West). They are older neighborhoods but a few hundred dollars less than the areas right around MWU.

Good Luck,

AZPOD Rocks

Thanks for the info.
I am definetly going house (whether rental or purchase). A wife and 2 kids made that choice easy.
See ya this fall.