***Azpod 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr beegh, i think your interview is tommorow, i wanted to wish you the best of luck

go in there proud and as de stressed as possible.

i look foward to hearing how it goes

Members don't see this ad.

Kelus,
Thanks for the encouragement and for the help. I'm not too stressed out about it, me and my wife went over some good questions i'm sure they'll ask me (e.g. Why podiatry? Why AZPOD?) but I need to get to sleep cause my interview starts in 7 hours! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kelus,
Thanks for the encouragement and for the help. I'm not too stressed out about it, me and my wife went over some good questions i'm sure they'll ask me (e.g. Why podiatry? Why AZPOD?) but I need to get to sleep cause my interview starts in 7 hours! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Goodluck fellow future AZPODer! You'll do fine :thumbup:

Well today was the big day. It was great, I was VERY impressed by the school, everybody was super friendly and the school is really nice. The interview wasn't intimidating at all and I think I did pretty well. I have to say that after today I would be very happy to go to school there.

I'll find out in the next two weeks if I'll be joining you guys in the fall!

Thanks for all the support guys, let me know if I can do anything for you.

hello everyone! i have recently become a member of azpod's class of 2011. i am thrilled to be moving to arizona in the fall! did anyone else that interviewed march 19th get accepted?

It’s good to see another fellow student. Did you hear by mail? Did you do a cartwheel of joy when you first found out? I know I did,
I was glad too hear the good news since at the time I had an optometry school acceptance period that was about to end. I did not want to give up one opportunity until I knew I had another.

Needless to say my letter came just in time.
Well, if I were you I would start filling out the FASFA ASAP, though I think they accept applications until the summer
:thumbup: if you have any questions about the application proccess i would be glad to help

hello everyone! i have recently become a member of azpod's class of 2011. i am thrilled to be moving to arizona in the fall! did anyone else that interviewed march 19th get accepted?

Where are you from? I have a friend who interviewed w/ you and was accepted (unless this is you of course). congrats, and see you in a few months
:thumbup:

i am from good ol' north dakota (minot). who is your friend? i am so curious to know who else was accepted!

Well, if I were you I would start filling out the FASFA ASAP, though I think they accept applications until the summer
:thumbup: if you have any questions about the application proccess i would be glad to help

Hi there, I could be completely wrong here, but wasnt the deadline to submit your FASFA to receive aid for Fall 08 sometime in mid March?

Hello all, I've been accepted to Arizona and OCPM and am having a hard decision in choosing which school to go to. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from ya'll as to why ya'll chose Arizona. I am open to any opinions and welcome any advice, thanks!

Curriculum.
Professors. It is well known DMU is one of the top schools. Azpod has a few of their good professors, a great dean, and other professors who are well known in pod and are excellent.
climate.
classes taken jointly w/ do students.
Gut feeling.

In the end, you have to go where it feels right. If you are comfortable w/ where you are, it won't be a worry and you can focus on your education.

Members don't see this ad :)
we were told at the interview that we would have time to get it taken care of, which is only right. not planning on paying aout of pocket for this purchase!

does anyone remember the name of the apartments directly across 59th fromn the school? i am starting the housing search. i thought those would be the next best thing, since campus housing is more than full! any advice from locals would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. i got my FASFA finished. thank goodness for the reminders:)

Sage Stone, Oak Wood are apartments across the street. They are expensive though. There are other apartments around the area. The closer the school, the more expensive it is.

Eagle Crest is 10 minutes from the school is affordable. Do you have family? If you're single, there might be roomate positions available.

nd2az - glad to hear you got accepted! we interviewed together on the 19th, i was the local kid from mesa. i got in too and i couldn't have been happier. i was fully planning on staying home in beautiful AZ and going to school at AZPOD until i went to my interview in ohio. the people were great, the new facilities are going to be top-notch and the scholarship i was offered was sizable.

so my decision got a lot harder but i've decided to go to OCPM. it was a very difficult decision and as much as i hate leaving AZ, i felt that OCPM was overall a better choice. both schools were fantastic, i instantly felt right at home at both places and I felt like i could excell at either school. but i grew up in AZ and plan on doing my residency here and practicing here for the rest of my life so Ohio will be a nice change of pace for a while. also, coming out of school tens of thousands of dollars less in debt was nice too.

thanks for all your help AZPODers. you guys are great, it's too bad we never got to meet. but hey, maybe we'll see each other in our residencies!

nd2az - glad to hear you got accepted! we interviewed together on the 19th, i was the local kid from mesa. i got in too and i couldn't have been happier. i was fully planning on staying home in beautiful AZ and going to school at AZPOD until i went to my interview in ohio. the people were great, the new facilities are going to be top-notch and the scholarship i was offered was sizable.

so my decision got a lot harder but i've decided to go to OCPM. it was a very difficult decision and as much as i hate leaving AZ, i felt that OCPM was overall a better choice. both schools were fantastic, i instantly felt right at home at both places and I felt like i could excell at either school. but i grew up in AZ and plan on doing my residency here and practicing here for the rest of my life so Ohio will be a nice change of pace for a while. also, coming out of school tens of thousands of dollars less in debt was nice too.

thanks for all your help AZPODers. you guys are great, it's too bad we never got to meet. but hey, maybe we'll see each other in our residencies!

Congrats on 2 acceptances. Enoy :thumbup:

congrats dr beegh! i have heard good thigs from ohio as well. for the same reason you are leaving az, i am moving there. i am a widwestern girl through and through. az will be a fabulous change of pace and 4 year adventure for me, as oh will be for you. best of luck to you!

I have not heard anything to support this idea, but i thought i would bring it up here for a freindly disscussion

I was thinking about this for a while and it seems to me Midwestern is in a good position to create program like this.

first midwesterns dpm students are already encorperated into the first 2 years of the D.O students education (excluding a couple of credits per semester)

secondly Midwestern seems to loves expansion, proven with the future creation of the dental and optometry schools.
so they seem to have the money, the program and the will.

what do all you other azpoder's think,

im not saying there is secretly a program being created, i just think the race is on to create the second duel program and i think midwestern seems to be the most likley canidate after they are acreditied?

I have not heard anything to support this idea, but i thought i would bring it up here for a freindly disscussion

I was thinking about this for a while and it seems to me Midwestern is in a good position to create program like this.

first midwesterns dpm students are already encorperated into the first 2 years of the D.O students education (excluding a couple of credits per semester)

secondly Midwestern seems to loves expansion, proven with the future creation of the dental and optometry schools.

im not saying there is secretly a program being created, i just think the race is on to create the second duel program and i think midwestern seems to be the most likley canidate after they are acreditied?

Dr. Page told me they have discussed this among the faculty ranks. It was nearly a year ago... I think he said they just threw it out there as an idea but they didn't speak anymore of it because there hasn't been any interest expressed by the students. DO's envy us because we aren't groping each other all the time, nor do we have to learn crazy OMM :eek: and we love the early specialization podiatry provides.

In all truth, OMM has provided temporary relief of my back pain on numerous occasions and I've been glad students are always willing to practice their groping skills on me, but you will see when you get in, there are very few reasons to desire such a degree... with the only valid one in my mind of wanting to find a nitch as, for example, "the diabetes doctor." You could treat diabetic related lower extremity pathologies and treat some of the more total body problems associated with diabetes... you could also become board certified in bariatric medicine (medical weight loss) and provide services to your many obese patients helping them fix one of the underlying contributors to their suffering. Dr. Barrett, DPM primarily is known as a peripheral neurosurgeon of the lower extremities and is a member of the American Association of Peripheral Neurosurgeons. He once told me 5/6 patients seeking his services have "an elevated BMI." lol Well, what if he could help reduce the person's weight medically as an added tool in his toolbelt of relief? Anyway, just my thoughts.

AZPOD Rocks!

At my interview, Dr. Page mentioned this as a possibility as well as a dpm/phd.
I am w/ azpod rocks, I don't really see the need for the d.o. degree if you want to do pod.

At my interview, Dr. Page mentioned this as a possibility as well as a dpm/phd.
I am w/ azpod rocks, I don't really see the need for the d.o. degree if you want to do pod.

there is the thought that knowledge is power. more knowledge (dual degree) may gain some power when applying to residencies down the road.

there is the thought that knowledge is power. more knowledge (dual degree) may gain some power when applying to residencies down the road.

Most DPMs (especially those that run residencies) do not want to see podiatry morph into DO/MD and question people as to why they need 2 degrees. I do not see the dual DPM/MD or /DO benefitting an aplicant for residency interviews. DPM/PhD maybe but not MD or DO. Just my 2 cents. Jonwill, what do you think?

Most DPMs (especially those that run residencies) do not want to see podiatry morph into DO/MD and question people as to why they need 2 degrees. I do not see the dual DPM/MD or /DO benefitting an aplicant for residency interviews. DPM/PhD maybe but not MD or DO. Just my 2 cents. Jonwill, what do you think?

In order to create any degree (or dual degree), there needs to be a necessity. A DPM/DO or DPM/MD would serve absolutely no purpose and is most definitely not needed. With few exceptions, DPM's can already do all that they need to do to effectively manage their patients. And for the few areas where they are still having scope issues, the answer is not to change the degree or tack another one on but rather to educate the ignorant on our training and education.

It has been my experience that the few people that are in favor of these dual degree programs chose podiatry because they could not get into an MD or DO program. This would be a "back door".

:mad: Whats wrong with a back door? If a student wants to have the experience of a DPM and a DO why should we stop them, if they want to blow a lot of money I say more power to them.
The one thing I don't understand is why are people so eager to discredit the worth of a duel dpm D.O program? Is this program some monster that is hiding under the beds of all podiatrists. Does it harm the profession?
The original post was just a question of if Midwestern (being the expansionists they are) will develop one. But, just like the last time I mentioned a dual degree program, people jump in and bash it. If some one came to me saying they were getting a duel dentist and podiatry degree I would celebrate. A podiatrist that can do podiatry and more! Good for him! Theres a guy on here that got a pharm D and a DPM. GREAT, that man can work part time one place if he wants, what a wonderful opportunity. There's no way I would get on my high horse and tell him he wasted his time. So why are people doing this for those in Florida? As for people who are against the Dual degree…what are you guys afraid of ?
If five more duel programs pop up in the usa, that's just more opportunity for all podiatrists to further educate themselves. The people in Florida are not promising their dual candidates anything, just giving them the opportunity.

As for me, ill never badmouth opportunity. Im sorry, but I come from a place were people are fighting right now just to find one job put food on the table.
but you guys seemed to be worried that
if some hardworking guy decides they want to be a D.O and do a little podiatry on the side so they sneak into these dual dpm/DO programs with the idea of being a D.O-- OH NO, WHAT A TRAVISTY, IMPOSTERS!!! GRAB THE PITCH FORKS(sarcasm) .
so what!!, if that's what they want to do, its no skin of your guys sac- why badmouth them. just stay up there on your dedicated podiatry horse and make your good money.
call me ignorant, but i have not finished podiatry school yet, so my horse has not came in the mail yet.

sorry guys, this post is not directed at the actual azpoders that merely questioned if we needed it.

i have a few question for all of you out there...

has anyone heard/know when we will be recieving our award letters? it would be nice to know what i am working with for a rent budget when looking for housing.

also, this may be a silly question. but, do we get our white coats our first year?

i feel like i should be doing something. waiting to get started is killing me! how do the rest of you feel? i am ready to get the show on the road.

...nd2az

i have a few question for all of you out there...

has anyone heard/know when we will be recieving our award letters? it would be nice to know what i am working with for a rent budget when looking for housing.

also, this may be a silly question. but, do we get our white coats our first year?

i feel like i should be doing something. waiting to get started is killing me! how do the rest of you feel? i am ready to get the show on the road.

...nd2az

Sorry, no answer about your award letter. However, you will get your white coat at the white coat ceremony held during Winter quarter (they think most people who make it to Winter quarter will probably complete the program and, of course, Winter is a few degrees cooler for this outside ceremony :) )

AZPOD Rocks

:mad: Whats wrong with a back door? If a student wants to have the experience of a DPM and a DO why should we stop them, if they want to blow a lot of money I say more power to them.

Hey Kelus,

Similar to you, I couldn't understand the reasoning behind individuals who were so adamant against the DUAL (correct spelling) degrees. :)

However, after I started this year at AZPOD, I could see why everyone feels this way.

1. When you start and begin to feel the pain, you will NOT want to prolong it unnecessarily.

2. DPMs don't need an extra degree (especially from AZPOD) to take advantage of all opportunities that are afforded them.

3. Your degree from AZPOD is the equivalent to any DO degree and most MD degrees out there in terms of rigor.

4. Once in, you will realize there is already so much for you to study in the field of podiatry that you can really make your practice darn close to exactly what you want.

Now, as I mentioned before, there are some reasons to pursue both degrees (regardless of what any close-minded poster may say). These valid reasons don't include "most prestige," or "a back door to an MD/DO," or more pay, etc. Really, the only valid reason is because you arrive at limitations in your practice inherent to podiatry and feel you MUST (internally) pursue a different route or add to what you can do. In a previous post, I had mentioned bariatric medicine to help manage a patient's weight and diabetes. Even so, you don't need to do this. Instead, you find a good physician who can work with you and fill the perceived need.

There is an individual at MWU who is now pursuing a DO degree though he already has a DPM degree. He got a prestigious podiatric surgical residency, completed it, practiced for a few years, made over 200k each year and still decided that though podiatry was everything he had wanted originally, he now wanted something else. He is now a 2nd or 3rd year student at MWU and has done exceptionally well.

AZPOD Rocks

:p ill be the first to admit, im no english major. thanks for bringing that to my attention. i only wish i could change it :thumbup:

that is a interesting story about the DPM doctor. With your description i can see why most students dont think the dual (did i get it right?) program is to much pain to be worth it. You are right though, if some one can make a great living in podiatry with their dpm degree, why put themselves through the punishment of more school. but i seems to me that some people tend to attack that degree due to their own pride.

In response to the question (nd2az) i also feel like i should be doing somthing.

but it seems, there is nothing we can do.i submitted my financial aid before the priority deadline and have not received anything. I called the financial aid department a couple of weeks back and said we should receive some information in the middle of july or beginning of august.(awards letter) she said something about they take care of the summer people first, then podiatry.
Needless to say I was shocked that we would have to wait that long to even see if we would have money and how much.

The housing was no different, I was also told we would receive nothing till middle of june.
I am surprised to find Midwestern doing this.
I tell you its weird to be this late in the may and not know were your going to live or if there will be money there for you come aug.

In response to the question (nd2az) i also feel like i should be doing somthing.

but it seems, there is nothing we can do.i submitted my financial aid before the priority deadline and have not received anything. I called the financial aid department a couple of weeks back and said we should receive some information in the middle of july or beginning of august.(awards letter) she said something about they take care of the summer people first, then podiatry.
Needless to say I was shocked that we would have to wait that long to even see if we would have money and how much.

The housing was no different, I was also told we would receive nothing till middle of june.
I tell you its weird to be this late in the may and not know were your going to live or if there will be money there for you come aug.

can i get a grrr...
hahaha...
at least we are in and don't have to worry about that anymore.:luck:

Hey Kelus,

Similar to you, I couldn't understand the reasoning behind individuals who were so adamant against the DUAL (correct spelling) degrees. :)

However, after I started this year at AZPOD, I could see why everyone feels this way.

1. When you start and begin to feel the pain, you will NOT want to prolong it unnecessarily.

2. DPMs don't need an extra degree (especially from AZPOD) to take advantage of all opportunities that are afforded them.

3. Your degree from AZPOD is the equivalent to any DO degree and most MD degrees out there in terms of rigor.

4. Once in, you will realize there is already so much for you to study in the field of podiatry that you can really make your practice darn close to exactly what you want.

Now, as I mentioned before, there are some reasons to pursue both degrees (regardless of what any close-minded poster may say). These valid reasons don't include "most prestige," or "a back door to an MD/DO," or more pay, etc. Really, the only valid reason is because you arrive at limitations in your practice inherent to podiatry and feel you MUST (internally) pursue a different route or add to what you can do. In a previous post, I had mentioned bariatric medicine to help manage a patient's weight and diabetes. Even so, you don't need to do this. Instead, you find a good physician who can work with you and fill the perceived need.

There is an individual at MWU who is now pursuing a DO degree though he already has a DPM degree. He got a prestigious podiatric surgical residency, completed it, practiced for a few years, made over 200k each year and still decided that though podiatry was everything he had wanted originally, he now wanted something else. He is now a 2nd or 3rd year student at MWU and has done exceptionally well.

AZPOD Rocks

So does this person still practice Pod? (I mean, they must have loads of spare time:laugh: )

That is a bummer. I am HOPeING we can assume we will get financial aid. I don't know if my veins can give enough blood to pay for school :laugh:

I would just like to be the first to congratulate Dr. Gangrene on the birth of his baby girl. Are you getting much sleep buddy?

When you apply for aid, you will recieve a letter from that agency that granted you the funds such as Salle Mae.

All of you that haven't found housing should start looking at places just in case on campus housing is not available.

The one thing I don’t understand is why are people so eager to discredit the worth of a duel dpm D.O program?

I like your point. The end result is that you still become a physician, however you get there. :thumbup:

In order to create any degree (or dual degree), there needs to be a necessity. A DPM/DO or DPM/MD would serve absolutely no purpose and is most definitely not needed. With few exceptions, DPM's can already do all that they need to do to effectively manage their patients. And for the few areas where they are still having scope issues, the answer is not to change the degree or tack another one on but rather to educate the ignorant on our training and education.

It has been my experience that the few people that are in favor of these dual degree programs chose podiatry because they could not get into an MD or DO program. This would be a "back door".

I disagree with your comment. Saying "absolutely no purpose" may only apply to your perspective on the dual degree but perhaps a completely different outlook on someone else. It's nice that the option would be accessible for those who are in podiatry, for instance, but have found limitations to the scope of their practice. So what other options would you recommend in educating "the ignorant?" No one system is perfect.

I'll be joining you all this fall, looking forward to it. If anyone wants to discuss housing, let me know. Tried to get campus housing but its full as you know. I'm trying to locate some current students and classmates to give me some tips on where to rent.

Other info, my wife and I will be coming with our 80 pound high maintenance dog. Arizona was the only school I applied to and thankfully was accepted. I like the facilities and my wife likes that part of the country, so it worked out pretty well. We'll be coming from Alabama, which also has its hot times, but not the very high temperatures. They say its more of a dry heat in Arizona, so we'll see.

See you this August!

welcome! congrats on getting accepted. Glendale is pretty big so, im sure you will find a place shortly---it just may be expensive :rolleyes:

is seems as though there are many males on this thread. does ayone know the counts of women and men for our class? and/or how many in our class total? i am feeling a bit out numbered based on this thread:)

another quick, maybe silly, question: are we guaranteed a parking spot at school?

is seems as though there are many males on this thread. does ayone know the counts of women and men for our class? and/or how many in our class total? i am feeling a bit out numbered based on this thread:)

another quick, maybe silly, question: are we guaranteed a parking spot at school?

There's ALWAYS enough parking. Sometimes you just have to walk a little further.

As far as the gender ratio... I haven't heard. Class of 2010 has a fairly mixed ratio with probably a few more men than women.

Well, i thought it would take till july to get my awards letter, but i guess they finished it on sat. I submited my financial aid before the priority date so i may have gotten it early.

but just a heads up for azpod students--- check your az webmail here soon to see if you get your award letters

Are all seats are filled for entering Aug 07? Are they still taking apps at AZPOD, it says deadline for application is June 1, but I thought all podiatry schools took apps until July 31.... :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents...AZPOD and DMU are considered the toughest pod schools to get into. They both have small class sizes and AZPOD's is about 30 students. Thus, I believe the class fills up relatively quickly. Furthermore, this application cycle has been going on for more than 9 months already.

It is really late in the application cycle to apply to pod schools but I'm sure a few schools will have seats available. However, I think there is a slim to none chance of AZPOD (or DMU, probably Scholl) having any seats at this point. Maybe some AZPOD students could verify this.

If you are definitely set on AZPOD, it would probably be a good idea to apply the next application cycle (opens in September).

Just curious, how come you are applying to pod schools at this time during the year? Were you interested in another profession beforehand?

Take care and good luck with everything!

Are all seats are filled for entering Aug 07? Are they still taking apps at AZPOD, it says deadline for application is June 1, but I thought all podiatry schools took apps until July 31.... :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks!

Each school has there specific cut off. Check w/ each school. As has been stated before, it also depends on when the class is full. They may stop taking apps early if the class is full.

Hey fellow AZPOD incomings, quick question, maybe some of the current students will see this and post a reply. I'm a business major from undergrad and am shoring up on some biochem this summer to prepare, and have found some biochem outline type books that are much less technical than others. Any idea what our class will be like? Are we gonna have to do all the math deriving of equations and stuff that the thick biochem books have, or is our curriculum more of an outline of the concepts and just memorization of stuff?
Thanks

Hey, I was thinking we could have a BBQ the saturday before school starts (right after our 3 day orientation). I don't know any logistics etc. But would anyone be interested to come? We could find a park close to the school, or maybe do it at the school itself. If enough people are interested, I could ask Dr. Page what he thinks.

Let me know! Lets get this class started right! :banana::hardy: