Profile of a successful applicant:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfiniVet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A hearty congratulations to all of y'all that got acceptances this cycle! Well done, you've earned it =)

Is anyone accepted this year interested in posting their GPA, GRE Scores, Undergrad degree, How many times you applied, and any tips/pointers?

Much appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

A hearty congratulations to all of y'all that got acceptances this cycle! Well done, you've earned it =)

Is anyone accepted this year interested in posting their GPA, GRE Scores, Undergrad degree, How many times you applied, and any tips/pointers?

Just so you know a lot of that info for past years is available from individual schools, there usually isn't a big difference year-to-year. :)

Overall GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 3.93
Last 45 hours: 4.0
Vet school prereqs: 4.0
GRE: 760 Quant, 450 Verbal, 4.5 Analytical

Thousands of hours with large animals (cattle & horses). Hundreds of hours with small animals.
5 years military service.
First time applicant.
Applied to KSU, ISU, UIUC
Accepted KSU (my state school)
Offered interview at Illinois
Haven't heard from ISU (Iowa)

Undergrad: BA Biology from private school

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, now agr just freaked me out...

Is thousands of hours of animal/vet experience necessary? I have about 900 hours with small animals, and nothing with large animals yet, but I'm really really hoping to change that this semester and over the summer.

Is thousands of hours of animal/vet experience necessary? I have about 900 hours with small animals, and nothing with large animals yet, but I'm really really hoping to change that this semester and over the summer.

Don't worry about it. Agr is not a typical applicant.

Not to worry, I agree that Agr is an outstanding applicant. I think what we always forget is the numbers from schools are averages. So most likely there is somebody at the low end to make that average. I know a student at Davis who had 500 hours and was accepted, and someone at Western who did all small animal and was accepted. It really depends on what the rest of the application looks like. And let's face it..who's desk it crosses. I probably have a few thousand, but I'm an older student who has been involved with animals all my life.

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: didn't calculate it ever, probably around 3.7
Last 45 hours: 3.78
Vet school prereqs: didn't calculate them either
GRE: 780 Quant, 540 Verbal

Around 800 working hours with small animals at a vet hospital and emergency clinic when I applied. Work experience (not veterinary related) with horses for four years (high school and a little during college). Did research in college.
First time applicant. PA residency
Applied to: Penn only (yeah yeah eggs in one basket)
Accepted after interview at Penn :)

Undergrad: BS in biology from private school

I grew up cowboying on ranches in Kansas and have done a little in New Mexico and Texas as well. Additionally, I have shadowed rural veterinarians exclusively (because I don't live near a city) and they work about 70-80% with large animals (mainly cattle & horses) and the rest are pets. I have classmates that also were accepted and they had similar statistics, except for the large animal experience. However, they still did have hundreds, maybe a thousand, hours of experience shadowing and/or working with small animals. Both of them also had research experience which I lack and that is looked upon highly at many vet schools. Also, I am 27 and a lot of you are probably 3 or 4 years younger and may have not had the opportunity to work with animals as many years as I have.

Basically, get good grades, get good test scores, have some experience, be realistic and understand that vet med is not all about saving kittens and I believe you'll have a good shot. Strive as hard as you can to be the best and don't give admissions committees a reason to decline your application.

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.9
GRE: 600 Quant, 600 Verbal
I didn't calculate the other GPA statistics. :oops:

BS in Biology and BS in Pre-Veterinary Science in May 2007

Animal experience: ~500 hours small animal clinic
~960 hours spent interning at a wildlife rehabilitation
sanctuary

Extracurriculars: Member and VP of women's rugby team, attended three national leadership conferences all over the US during college, numerous roles in the residence hall system - hall president, NRHH, NACURH, Resident Assistant for two years....honor societies, etc., etc.

From my experience, I have known some applicants that have gotten in with very low GPA's (2.8-3.0), but on the flip side, I have known some applicants with stellar GPA's that have not received admission. Don't think that your GPA/GRE score is the be all, end all of getting accepted. Yes, emphasis is very high on these things, but also on your experiences both in the veterinary field and life in general. Be confident, get involved, and write a killer personal statement. If you don't get in the first time, don't give up. All of your stress and worrying will pay off one day...;)

No, unfortunately the adcom did not ask about this...but hey I like to think it is kind of unique and *maybe* helped me stand out a bit...do you play rugby?

I can't believe I'm a "successful applicant" now.

GPA: 3.4 overall (Ugrad 3.2, Grad 4.0)
GRE: 770Q/700V 5
EXP: >1000 hours zoo, >1000 hours research, >500 hours state agency animal health lab, ~100 hours shelter, ~100 hours surgical recovery tech, ~50 hours farm/LA

First time applicant
M.S. in Parasitology w/ thesis
B.S. in Animal Science

~3 publications in scientific journals
~5 presentations at scientific meetings
several honors & awards

Accepted: Penn, CSU (both out of state)

*for those of you wondering, I have absolutely *no* ties to CSU...and I'm hopelessly broke* (there was some discussion about this in the CSU thread)

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.09
Science GPA: 3.68
Last 45 Hrs: 3.31
Pre-Reqs: 3.48
GRE: 710Q, 460V, 4.5A

Applied: Kansas State
Accepted: Kansas State (state school)

Undergrad: B.S. (May) Microbiology w/ Animal Science Minor

Worked through high school at a small animal clinic, shadowed veterinarians, I also have worked in a diagnostic lab for a year and now a research lab for the past year and a half.

Could I also request successful applicants to list whether or not they just came out of college, and if they didn't, then also say how long they've been out and what they have been doing in the meantime? It's a little nerve wracking to see people with these thousands of hours of vet/animal experience, until I learn that they've been out of college for some time (any amount of time).

Could I also request successful applicants to list whether or not they just came out of college, and if they didn't, then also say how long they've been out and what they have been doing in the meantime? It's a little nerve wracking to see people with these thousands of hours of vet/animal experience, until I learn that they've been out of college for some time (any amount of time).

I'm just wrapping up my M.S., and I went to grad school fresh out of undergrad. So I've been in school without any substantial breaks other than regular winter/summer. I did, however, work full time from the moment I graduated high school through the present (all vet/animal hours- some even overnight emergency). I've jumped on weekend and summer volunteer opportunities, and the research hours obviously stack up when you're writing a thesis (or dissertation).

For example, even if I just worked on my thesis for 10 hours a week for 32 months...that's 1280 hours right there.

Hi,
I got in to OSU. My GPA is 3.94. I got a 580 and a 680 on the GRE the first time and a 580 and a 740 the second time. I am a Animal Science Major and applied during my senior year. I have a fair amount of experience. I have worked at a small animal vet for 6 yrs part time--3000 hours. I also worked with a large animal vet, a zoo, and a behaviorist for about 100 hours each.

good luck

No, unfortunately the adcom did not ask about this...but hey I like to think it is kind of unique and *maybe* helped me stand out a bit...do you play rugby?

cool I'm on the school's rugby team too, I was thinking about whether or not that would help on my application.

what position do you play?

Yay for other ruggers! Being short and all, I play hooker...I love it though and would not want to play any other position. WSU has a rugby team, but I am not sure if I will have to time to play once vet school gets going. :(

Congrats everyone and thanks for replying with your stats.

Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.7
GRE: 750 Quant, 600 Verbal

Small Animal: ~100
Large Animal (Equine): ~1000 hours
Zoo: ~5000 hours

Applied: OSU, Penn
Accepted: OSU (state school)
No word from Penn yet

I am currently a Junior in undergrad, so I applied a year early as I can graduate with my BS in Biology a year early. I have a great deal of leadership and involvement experiences throughout college. Hope this helps!

hopefully this will help you:

Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.97
Last 45 Hrs: 3.98
Pre-Reqs: ?
GRE: 650Q, 600V, 4.5A
Clubs and leadership: lots

1st time applicant, in 4th year of undergrad

Applied: Davis (in-state), Michigan, Minnesota, Washington, Purdue, Kansas State, Tennessee, VA-MD, Oregon, Wisconsin, Auburn, UPenn, Colorado, Iowa State

Accepted: Michigan State, Kansas State, Iowa State, U of Wisconsin, Oregon State, University of Minnesota, UC Davis

Interviews: Purdue (declined), Minnesota, Washington (declined), Auburn (declined), Kansas State, Davis, Tennessee (declined)

Rejections: VA-MD, Colorado, Penn

Going to: DAVIS!

Undergrad: B.S. (June) Animal Science and still thinking about completing a physiology minor

Experience: around 1300 in private small animal practice, 700 in SA emergency/critical care, 50 in SA internal medicine, 100 at an equine hospital, 50 on farm, also did some research

i tell all potential applicants at my school that good grades and gre scores are not the be all, end all... become well rounded, join the leadership of a lot of clubs, get varied experiences (even if you don't accumulate too many hours), and go into this process knowing that it is random and frustrating so all you can do is your absolute best. it also doesn't hurt to bust out with all of your lucky charms and to have everyone and their moms praying for you...

oh... one more thing, don't visit SDN everyday! you'll go stark raving mad like i did (am). Please feel free to email if you have any questions. Good luck!

Accepted: Michigan State
Interviews: Purdue, Minnesota, Washington, Auburn, Kansas...

Congrats on the interviews. When did you hear from Auburn??

I graduated in May 2006 and prior to that had done research approx 10hrs/wk in a lab for two semesters. I had never worked for a vet prior to graduation.

I started working 60 hours per week in June (and taking summer school biochem), burnt out on that around September, and then worked 40, and volunteered 15 a week from September until just recently when I found out from Penn that I was accepted. Not that I don't love the volunteering but oh boy those extra 15 hours to sleep :love:

As far as extracurriculars, for those who asked, my interview focused heavily on my "other" activities - I edited my college's newspaper and had a few internships and jobs in journalism. I also wrote a lot about that in my essay, so I think how much focus is put on "other" activies depends on how much you put on them!

I began talking about my experiences in journalism from my very first question at my interview, it's very much a part of who I am, and I wanted the interviewers to know and see that in person as well and understand how that would make me a great vet one day :) (in my opinion that is)

Congrats on the interviews. When did you hear from Auburn??

hi there! the letter was dated 1/22 and it came in the mail on saturday. i think i'll go ahead and start an auburn thread

oops... there already is an auburn thread. oh well... i'll just copy and paste.

Overall GPA: 3.8
Last 45 Hrs: 4.0
GRE: 620Q, 620V, 4.5A

1st time applicant, got my B.A. in art history(!) in 2002
Applied: Davis (in-state), Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UPenn, Colorado, Missouri
Accepted: Michigan
Interviews: Missouri
Rejections: Minnesota...

Experience: <500 at small animal hospital, few hundred at a zoo, <100 at a wildlife rehab hospital

I was shocked that I got in to a school at all, considering my animal experience was so limited. Not sure what it was that got me in... I figured almost all the applicants would have the same-ish grades but loads more experience. Goes to show that schools are willing to take on less-than-traditional applicants.... None the less, I'm not complaining...!

Overall GPA: 3.8
Last 45 Hrs: 4.0
GRE: 620Q, 620V, 4.5A

1st time applicant, got my B.A. in art history(!) in 2002
Applied: Davis (in-state), Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UPenn, Colorado, Missouri
Accepted: Michigan
Interviews: Missouri
Rejections: Minnesota...

Experience: <500 at small animal hospital, few hundred at a zoo, <100 at a wildlife rehab hospital

I was shocked that I got in to a school at all, considering my animal experience was so limited. Not sure what it was that got me in... I figured almost all the applicants would have the same-ish grades but loads more experience. Goes to show that schools are willing to take on less-than-traditional applicants.... None the less, I'm not complaining...!

Congrats on your acceptance to Michigan! When did you interview? And when did your status page change to "file review"? Sorry, for all the questions. I'm just one of those Michigan applicants that hasn't heard anything!

Congratulations on your acceptances.

Major: Chemical Engineering
Cum. GPA: 3.84
Req. Courses: 3.91 (or higher depending on school)
Last 45 Hours: 3.94
GRE: 800Q 560V 4A (took it twice, first time was 1240)
LOTS of extra-curricular stuff (Pre-Vet Club, TBP Engr. Honor Society, Band, etc.)

Applied: LSU, OK-State, Mizzou, K-State, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Interviewed: LSU, Mizzou, K-state
Rejected: Minnesota
Accepted: K-state!! (NR)

~725 hours in small-animal emergency/CC
~150 in small-animal/exotic day clinic
~60 in equine
IWRC Certified in Basic Wildlife Rehab.
working on getting large/farm animal experience

I was a first-time applicant and I'm so excited I got accepted with my limited experience! My best advice is that if you are in my situation and don't have as many hours, make sure your academics are high (or vice versa)

Undergrad major: doubled in biology/philosophy
Cumulative GPA: somewhere between 2.9-3.1 depending on how you calculate
Science/pre-req: 3.0
Last 45 hours: 2.9ish
GRE: 720V 710M 6.0A
Graduated: 2001
Soul searching: tremendous amount
Certainty on chosen profession: absolute

Experience: twelve years in small animal practice (three in general practice, nine is specialty--including four in emergency/critical care, three in specialty surgery, and three in neurology)--literally dozens of thousands of hours of experience as a technician

GPA was due to extenuating personal circumstances.

Have faith, non-traditional applicants--YOU CAN DO IT. Eventually a school will listen to you. Keep trying! :) :) It's worth the wait.

Times applied: 4 or 5 (can't remember--but this was the last gasp, so to speak--I was moving on if not accepted this year)

I'm glad to hear someone (marebear) without thousands of hours in an explicitly veterinary environment was accepted. I too was raised on a farm and have thousands of hours of experience there, but only shadowed my vet for a couple of weeks. He said my experience was sufficient, but when I joined this board and started to see everyone else's experience hours, I seriously had some doubts. Now I'm not so worried.

I'm finally comfortable posting in this thread.

Undergrad Major: English
Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2
Last 45 hours: 3.2-ish
GRE: 650V 540M 5.5A
Graduated: 1997 (science pre-req's in past 4 years)
Experience: 13 years full-time in small animal/exotic practice
Extra-Curricular: Lots. Charitable fund-raising and outdoor hobbies.

Second year applying. Rejected: 10 schools. Accepted: KSU (non-resident).

Okay, so here's the scoop on my experience and I definitely took the round about way to get into vet school.

Undergrad: MSU (2000)- B.S. Biology/Chem. Minor GPA=3.91 (caveat=took low course load 4th-senior yr)
Graduate Degree: OSU (2005)- M.Sc. Fisheries Science GPA=3.6 (caveat=very little biology/zoology classes, mainly fish/wildlife science)

Cumulative GPA=3.85
Science GPA=not calculated
GRE=610Q,530V,5.0A (taken once)

Experience= internship on wildlife refuge (5mo)
graduate thesis research= fish physiology (experiments w/ live animals)
approx. 300 hrs shadowing vets in small animal clinic
Pet assisted therapy team (visit hospital w/ my dog)
approx. 2 yrs employed at university doing developmental biology research w/ transgenic mice (but not working with vet).

Awards: scholarship for undergrad.
2 research grants in grad school

First time applicant who decided research was not enough "hands on" work for me. Older than average student so my pre-reqs were verging on the expiration time line for some schools.
Applied to: Washington, UIUC, Colorado, Oregon
Interviews: Illinois, Washington
Rejected: Colorado
Accepted: Oregon
This is a crazy process that doesn't always make sense!

Yeah for non-traditional applicants! A little scary being the old folks on campus but its now or never, right? So don't let anyone tell you its too late.

Is thousands of hours of animal/vet experience necessary? .

I highly recommend going to the AAVMC's website and individual colleges' websites. Talk to vets, advisors...just do your best.

While folks that post here have done outstanding jobs, it's isn't likely to be representative of all successful applicants. An applicant is more than some grade scores and an amount of experience hours. It's not easy to compare---'thousands of hours...' isn't very detailed; it could be 1,000 to anything like 10,000.

My main point for future applicants is that you can't compare straight up to someone else's records.....for all you know, they could be older and already have a done a Masters, grew up on a horse farm with 30 broodmares, or had another career. Try your hardest to make yourself into a well balanced, stable, educated person and apply. Be willing to apply again too, because it's a crazy competitive process. But have confidence!!! :) You try to do your best, so be proud of it. :) If you want some good internship ideas, then maybe I could hook you up.

I've given up trying to understand vet schools...their behavior boggles my mind :scared:

Good point pennymare.

Guess I'm successful, cause I just got in. :)

GPA: 3.6 (Something like 40 extra credits of upper level Biology thrown in there. Last 25 credits, 19 of which were upper level biology's, have been 4.0, last 40 have been 3.6) Two C's!! Both in Organic Chemistry
GRE Scores: 760Q, 680V, 5.0A
Undergrad degree: Biology major, Chemistry minor
How many times you applied: applied once, got in first try to state school (VA-MD)

Hours shadowing: don't even know anymore, ~600-700 when I applied, with both large and small animal work. Well over 1000 now. Currently working as a tech for the vet I started out shadowing and volunteering for.
Outside hours: riding since I was four years old. Worked at horse farms for years, last one being for five years at a 24 horse boarding farm. Training horses for years as well.

School activity: research, two academic honor society's
Outside activities: kayaking, riding, writing

Tips: do all that you can without stressing yourself! When you get the interview, be confident! Do your research, make sure you're up on things!

I think posting in here may give some people with low GPAs like myself hope.

majors: BS in Animal Science and BS in Poultry Science (graduating this May)

Overall GPA: 3.223 (127 GPA hours)
Last 45 GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: low 3.0
GRE: 800Q, 540V, 5.0A

Animal Experience: countless hours with horses growing up, worked with wallabies in Australia for six months, took care of tigers and other large (and small) carnivores at a carnivore rescue near town for six months, lots of farm and poultry experience through my majors

Vet Experience: Worked with small animal vet for 6 years throughout high school and start of college, worked with dairy vet for a couple days, worked with a poultry vet in a necropsy lab and out in the field

Recommendations: One from the small animal vet, one from the department head of Poultry Science (I had just gotten an A+ in their course) and one from a poultry vet from NCSU's vet school who I had just had a course with

Other Activities: Played on NCSU's Ultimate Frisbee team througout college(10 hours a week at least of practice and tournaments out of state most weekends)

This is the first time I applied.

UCDavis: rejected
UPenn: accepted
LSU: ??
NCSU: ??

I had a 2.5 GPA going into my junior year, but worked my butt off to make it up to a 3.2. I took 20 hours over last summer session and got >4.0 GPA. My advisor for Animal Science never thought I would get into vet school. I got a D in OChem 1 and failed OChem 2 the first time I took them, but went back and made an A+ and B+ the second time.

That is fantastic, PiddlingFish - way to go!! =)

That is an amazing ride and it was very nice for you to post. That can supply so much motivation for others. Congratulations btw.

Piddling Fish that's awesome! It just goes to show that you're not out until you decide you're out!

I was crossing my fingers so hard for this that they turned purple, lol... finally get to post in this thread :)

First time applicant (info on application; doesn't include fall semester)
Undergrad: BS in Biology at Saint Joseph's University '07
Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: similar. didn't calculate it.
GRE: 780Q 680V 4.5A
Applied: Penn, VA-MD, Tufts, Cornell, CSU
Accepted: Penn, Tufts, alternate at CSU

Experience:
Equine - lifetime. H/A Pony Clubber, farm manager/co-trainer in Virginia, farrier apprenticeship, 2 summers of once-a-week vet shadowing, volunteer foal sitter.
SA - ~500 general practice technician + resident extern
Exotic - ~ 500 reptile/amphib/fish retail store, Philadelphia Zoo internship.
Research - ~100 on comparative analysis of muscoskeletal anatomy of chondricthyan fishes.
EMT-B

Tips? Get your damn reference letters asap. I asked for one of mine in July, often reminded the doctor, and it still wasn't submitted by the deadline :mad:. VMCAS was accomodating though, and allowed a paper copy to be submitted a few days later. But don't risk it ;)

Oh, and love what you do. Like this guy: :love:

in honor of the oscars last night, here's my speech... there is hope for those of us on the VERY, VERY long track - dreams can come true!!!

BS - Wildlife Science 2006; BA - English Lit 1998
Overall - 3.74 (over 4 schools, two degrees, and 15 years)
Science - 3.70
Prereqs - 3.60
Last 45 - 3.67

GRES - 550 (V); 640 (Q); 4.5 (A)

Pros: ~3000 hours in small animal (over 8 year period); ~200 hours in urban/exurban wildlife; research with one accepted pub; varied life experience (even did a stint in the convent)

Cons: took me 7 years to complete my prereqs, C in Calculus (from 1992) and, of course, not the best GREs; no large animal experience

First time applicant: WSU (accepted); Davis (accepted); Colorado (accepted to dvm/phd program); Cornell (slam dunk rejection)

for those who thought it could not be done, it CAN!

GPA: 3.99 (overall)
science GPA: 4.0

receiving a BS in Biology from Stockton College in May. Valedictorian of HS class and college class.

GRE Q: 730
GRE V: 450 (blahh!)
did not need analytical score

Research: summer research on Horseshoe Crabs, continued in junior year of college

resisdent of NJ. only applied to UPENN. interviewed and was accepted. :D

work as Dr's assistant at an animal hospital for almost 2 years (shadowed and was a kennel assistant before that), volunteer at a shelter, rode horses for 8 years.

did i miss anything?

GO FOR IT! :thumbup:

for those who thought it could not be done, it CAN!

GPA: 3.99 (overall)
science GPA: 4.0

GO FOR IT! :thumbup:

great job! and congrats! but your gpa probably doesn't instill a sense that it can be done for most folks!! you look like you were an acceptance from the start!!! :)