Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
**Low GPA , 1st Generation student & very poor past academic record that I worked hard to correct (VMCAS was abysmal)**
***apologies for the length in advance***
37, F, MD, Non-Traditional applicant, 3rd application cycle(4th technically-1st cycle VMCAS not verified)
Applied: Tuskegee, Ross(’22-’23 cycle, deferred twice)
Interview Invites: Tuskegee
Waiting to hear: None
Accepted: Tuskegee
Attending: Tuskegee
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.5
Degree(s): Associate of Arts-General Studies- STEM Concentration -Dec 2017
Bachelor of Science- Animal, Poultry, and Veterinary Sciences-May 2020
Master of Science- Veterinary Science- writing thesis now, course work completed Dec 2022
Veterinary Experience:
Kennel Assistant- 5,416
GP Tech Assistant-2,016
ER Tech Assistant/Recep-960
GP Veterinary Tech/Nurse(Unlicensed-MD + some years a tech shift supervisor)-10,720
ER/Specialty Veterinary Tech/Nurse(Unlicensed-MD)- 3,472
(I did not include all of my Vet Med employment hours, just long-term employment > 1 year)
*My career spans 23 years so please understand cases like this are outliers and not necessary at all.
Animal Experience:
Pet Caretaker-1,568
Research:
Veterinary Clinical Pathology Lab Assistant- 260
Graduate Student Research Lab Assistant- 1,500
Undergraduate Student Research Lab Assistant- 192
Extracurriculars/Awards:
SERP 2019 participant-160- Received Certificate
Graduate Student Mentor-80
NAACP-20
ASAS Academic Quadrathlon -70- Received Award
Volunteer w/ Aliobomas-Kituwah Nation- 180
Non-Animal Employment:
Graduate Teaching Assistant-520
Bartender- 480
Freelance Makeup Artist-300
LORs:
UF DVM, CVA, Practice Owner
RVC Veterinary DVM/PhD, Researcher, TU Ag Associate Professor & Academic Quadrathlon Sponsor
TU DVM, Clinical pathologist, Vet Med Associate Professor- Worked for them in Clin path lab and they are on my thesis committee
TU DVM/PhD, Clinical pathologist, Vet Med Tenured Professor- TA’d for an undergrad class they teach & also on my thesis committee
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Personal statement- I highlighted the experiences that have inspired my interest in veterinary medicine and being a Tuskegee vet specifically, impassioned me to work in the field through every stage, including the difficult lessons I’ve learned about leadership, teamwork, ethics, and other difficult situation, my dedication to the field and becoming a doctor despite adversity. Being a Tuskegee veterinarian has been a lifelong specific goal of mine, even in the face of past academic adversity at Tuskegee I made a point to come back to the institution and finish my BS and MS albeit over a decade later. A dedication that many said was foolish but hey I’m here now.
Underrepresented/Challenges to Academia- I went through my initial attempt at undergrad that was ultimately a failure leading to being academically dismissed. I did acknowledge my immaturity and diagnosed yet untreated ADHD (at the time it was thought to magically disappear at 18…we know better now). I outlined my plan and path back to Tuskegee over the past decade, my vast improvement in a short amount of time upon my return, and continued academic success in graduate school. When I returned I brought my 1.2 cGPA up to a 3.0 in 15 months; earning a 3.7 GPA during my final Senior semester during the COVID shutdown- an event that would have completely derailed a younger me without effective treatment and proper coping systems.
*I am not advising you to disclose mental health stuff, but I just wanted to show that I did this year where I didn’t in previous years & when applying to other schools. Please use discretion when applying there is still a widespread stigma at many schools and even with individuals within schools.
Essentially, I took a gamble on applying to Tuskegee one last time and deferring at Ross. Ross was a good opportunity and out of the other schools I interviewed with in the previous cycle they acknowledged my dedication to the field and improvement academically while showing a consistently strong trend. My reasons for delaying an acceptance to reapply for this cycle: Tuskegee was a goal I set my heart on in grade school, I own a house here in Tuskegee, recovering from knee surgery and COVID, and didn't want to leave my elderly parents (late 70s & 80s) and elderly pets(18.5-year-old cat & 17.5-year-old dog) stateside. Over the years I have learned that I persevere no matter what so the usual cons of Ross weren't top of the list. I will say applying smart to programs where you will have favorable GPAs is a helpful strategy. Also, retaking courses at the original institution where I failed the class was helpful since that institution was also where I wanted to be for vet school. I was able to counter much of the damage I did to my record on my first go at undergrad. it was a long and arduous path, but I no longer feel like Sisyphus after 14 years. Unless circumstances are unavoidable...keep trying.
***apologies for the length in advance***
37, F, MD, Non-Traditional applicant, 3rd application cycle(4th technically-1st cycle VMCAS not verified)
Applied: Tuskegee, Ross(’22-’23 cycle, deferred twice)
Interview Invites: Tuskegee
Waiting to hear: None
Accepted: Tuskegee
Attending: Tuskegee
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.5
Degree(s): Associate of Arts-General Studies- STEM Concentration -Dec 2017
Bachelor of Science- Animal, Poultry, and Veterinary Sciences-May 2020
Master of Science- Veterinary Science- writing thesis now, course work completed Dec 2022
Veterinary Experience:
Kennel Assistant- 5,416
GP Tech Assistant-2,016
ER Tech Assistant/Recep-960
GP Veterinary Tech/Nurse(Unlicensed-MD + some years a tech shift supervisor)-10,720
ER/Specialty Veterinary Tech/Nurse(Unlicensed-MD)- 3,472
(I did not include all of my Vet Med employment hours, just long-term employment > 1 year)
*My career spans 23 years so please understand cases like this are outliers and not necessary at all.
Animal Experience:
Pet Caretaker-1,568
Research:
Veterinary Clinical Pathology Lab Assistant- 260
Graduate Student Research Lab Assistant- 1,500
Undergraduate Student Research Lab Assistant- 192
Extracurriculars/Awards:
SERP 2019 participant-160- Received Certificate
Graduate Student Mentor-80
NAACP-20
ASAS Academic Quadrathlon -70- Received Award
Volunteer w/ Aliobomas-Kituwah Nation- 180
Non-Animal Employment:
Graduate Teaching Assistant-520
Bartender- 480
Freelance Makeup Artist-300
LORs:
UF DVM, CVA, Practice Owner
RVC Veterinary DVM/PhD, Researcher, TU Ag Associate Professor & Academic Quadrathlon Sponsor
TU DVM, Clinical pathologist, Vet Med Associate Professor- Worked for them in Clin path lab and they are on my thesis committee
TU DVM/PhD, Clinical pathologist, Vet Med Tenured Professor- TA’d for an undergrad class they teach & also on my thesis committee
Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Personal statement- I highlighted the experiences that have inspired my interest in veterinary medicine and being a Tuskegee vet specifically, impassioned me to work in the field through every stage, including the difficult lessons I’ve learned about leadership, teamwork, ethics, and other difficult situation, my dedication to the field and becoming a doctor despite adversity. Being a Tuskegee veterinarian has been a lifelong specific goal of mine, even in the face of past academic adversity at Tuskegee I made a point to come back to the institution and finish my BS and MS albeit over a decade later. A dedication that many said was foolish but hey I’m here now.
Underrepresented/Challenges to Academia- I went through my initial attempt at undergrad that was ultimately a failure leading to being academically dismissed. I did acknowledge my immaturity and diagnosed yet untreated ADHD (at the time it was thought to magically disappear at 18…we know better now). I outlined my plan and path back to Tuskegee over the past decade, my vast improvement in a short amount of time upon my return, and continued academic success in graduate school. When I returned I brought my 1.2 cGPA up to a 3.0 in 15 months; earning a 3.7 GPA during my final Senior semester during the COVID shutdown- an event that would have completely derailed a younger me without effective treatment and proper coping systems.
*I am not advising you to disclose mental health stuff, but I just wanted to show that I did this year where I didn’t in previous years & when applying to other schools. Please use discretion when applying there is still a widespread stigma at many schools and even with individuals within schools.
Essentially, I took a gamble on applying to Tuskegee one last time and deferring at Ross. Ross was a good opportunity and out of the other schools I interviewed with in the previous cycle they acknowledged my dedication to the field and improvement academically while showing a consistently strong trend. My reasons for delaying an acceptance to reapply for this cycle: Tuskegee was a goal I set my heart on in grade school, I own a house here in Tuskegee, recovering from knee surgery and COVID, and didn't want to leave my elderly parents (late 70s & 80s) and elderly pets(18.5-year-old cat & 17.5-year-old dog) stateside. Over the years I have learned that I persevere no matter what so the usual cons of Ross weren't top of the list. I will say applying smart to programs where you will have favorable GPAs is a helpful strategy. Also, retaking courses at the original institution where I failed the class was helpful since that institution was also where I wanted to be for vet school. I was able to counter much of the damage I did to my record on my first go at undergrad. it was a long and arduous path, but I no longer feel like Sisyphus after 14 years. Unless circumstances are unavoidable...keep trying.