Successful Applicants c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
21F, Virginia resident, traditional applicant, first application cycle.

Applied:
Kansas State, U of Illinois, Iowa State, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland (IS), Purdue University, Colorado State
Rejected: Purdue, Colorado State
Waitlisted: KSU, Cornell, VMCVM
Interview Invites:
KSU, U of Illinois, VMCVM
Waiting to hear:
Technically KSU, Cornell, and VMCVM
Accepted:
U of Illinois, ISU
Attending:
University of Illinois (unless something happens with KSU and my mind is changed)

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

Degree(s):
BS in Biology, Minors in Chem and Spanish

Veterinary Experience:
~800 hours
Vet Assistant ~200 hrs
Shadowing ~ 20 hrs
Shadowing in Mexico ~280 hrs
Shadowing in dif clinic ~300 hrs
No large animal experience; all small animal.

Animal Experience: ~400 hrs
Pet sitting ~100 hrs
Zoo keeper intern ~270 hrs

Research:
>1000 hours
All of my research was over my undergrad career focused on genetic analysis in tomatoes.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Dance team ~700 hrs (about 2/3 was in leadership)
Wind ensemble ~500 hrs (about 1/2 was employment)
Biology club President ~50 hrs
High school XC and track ~800 hrs
High school dance ~1200 hrs
Various honor societies in college (including ODK and PBK)
Academic Integrity Council ~50 hrs
Other awards that are specific to my college.

Non-Animal Employment:
Resident Advisor ~700 hrs
Band manager ~100 hrs

LORs:
Research Advisor/Biology Department Chair
Biology Major Advisor
My manager at the zoo
Mexican Veterinarian from my abroad experience
US veterinarian (GP owner)
US veterinarian (GP veterinarian)

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
I mostly focused on my journey of wanting to be a vet and how my opinions changed from wanting to help animals to wanting to educate owners and work with people of similar mindset. I focused on how my experience at a clinic in Mexico shaped my opinion of pet owners and how educating them is as important, if not more important that actually taking care of and healing animals. I made sure they saw my growth and mindset change as I obtained various experiences and continued to learn more things.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
~ LOW GPA ALERT ~

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 27, F, California, Traditional, 3rd time applying

1st App (2019):
UC Davis, Oregon, WSU (all denied, no interview)
2nd App (2021): Colorado, Cornell, WSU, LMU, Minnesota, UC Davis, Tufts, Oregon, Midwestern, UofA, Illinois, WesternU (all denied, no interview)

3rd app (2022):
Applied:
Iowa, Michigan, Mississippi, Tuskegee, UofA, Minnesota, Upenn, Wisconsin, Virginia-Maryland, WesternU, LMU, UC Davis
Interview Invites:
Mississippi, Tuskegee, UofA, WesternU, LMU
Waiting to hear:
Mississippi (#2 OOS alternate), Iowa (no interview, alternate), Western (alternate), LMU (accepted spring class, declined)
Accepted:
UofA, Tuskegee (declined all other seats, so unsure if I would've gotten off the waitlists)
Attending: TUSKEGEE!!

Overall GPA:
VMCAS – 2.92, some schools calculate it to 3.0+
VMCAS – 2.83, some schools calculate it to 2.9-3.0+
Last 45 GPA: 3.65

GRE (Q/V/W):
153 (60%) / 152 (45%) / 4.0 (57%) (used only for Tuskegee & UC Davis I think)
Casper – 4th Quartile (2021 – 2nd quartile)

Degree(s): B.S. Animal Biology (UC Davis), M.S. Laboratory Animal Science (EVMS)

Veterinary Experience:

Experience – 6,000 hrs
  • Currently working at a dog/cat dentistry specialty clinic for almost 2 years
  • Dog/cat GP for 2.5 years after undergrad
  • Volunteered at an equine clinic for a month
  • Internship in my masters program getting experience with lab animals (NHPs, rabbits, rodents) for a week
  • Volunteering/Shadowing at various small animal GPs during undergrad
  • Student intern assisting with collecting cow urine samples and inserting catheters
Animal Experience:
Experience – 2,376 hrs
  • Volunteered at local animal shelter during the summers of high school (dogs/cats)
  • Tufts Adventures in Veterinary Medicine one summer in high school
  • Interned at a wildlife center during a summer in undergrad
  • Volunteered at the goat barn, helping with disbudding research during undergrad
  • Volunteered at a non-profit helping clean, socialize, feed/water miniature horses, donkeys, goats, bunnies, guinea pigs, ducks, and chickens
Research:
Experience – 360 hrs
  • Undergrad research intern (practicum student) - assessed disbud healing in calves and calf behaviors, completed undergraduate practicum, and presented results at conference
  • Undergraduate intern - extracting nectar from flowers, various lab procedures, cultures, plating
  • Student Class Research Project – created research project, collected data, presented findings
Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience – 3,738 hrs
  • Army ROTC Cadet all of undergrad, color guard captain
  • ROTC 4 yr Scholarship
  • ROTC Certificate of Achievement
  • Commissioned Army Officer
  • Army Service Ribbon
  • National Defense Medal
  • Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon
  • Korean Defense Service Medal
  • Highschool Volleyball/Track&Field
  • Track and Field MVP
  • Athlete of the Year
  • CIF-SS Champions for Volleyball
  • Race for Space Program (high school)
  • California Assembly Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement
  • Undergraduate Research Award (UC Davis)
  • Anima Club member/subofficer (undergrad)
  • Change of Pace - Race Volunteer
  • Community Center Volunteer
  • Cosplaying at multiple anime conventions
Non-Animal Employment:
Experience – 1,963 hrs
  • Assistant Operations Officer – Korea Mission (x3) (Army)
  • Platoon Leader (Army Reserves)
  • Dishwasher during undergrad for extra cash
  • P/T Seasonal Temp in retail during 2 summers in highschool
LORs:
Dentistry Vet, GP Vet + Relief Vet that worked there, Program Director + Professor from Masters program – 5 total

Wrote about how my undergraduate experience in research led me to want to pursue a career as a Veterinarian that conducted biomedical or lab animal research. But then explained how after starting my new job working in a dentistry only vet practice, I’ve become passionate about animal dentistry. I talked about the DVM that I worked under, and how she is an amazing mentor who took the time to educate me and further develop my understanding of animal dentistry. Gave some examples of stuff I learned and how I enjoy client education/communication and seeing their pets become livelier/more playful after treatments, etc. I then concluded that my diverse experiences and studying at a master’s level has taught me teamwork, time management, critical thinking, etc. to make me a well-rounded and strong-willed candidate for vet school.

Tips/concluding thoughts:
Don’t give up y’all! I started out with a 2.6 GPA coming out of undergrad. I failed multiple pre req classes and had to retake them. If you are like me, reading this now, there is hope!! It’s going to take some time and a lot of perseverance, but you’ll get there!!

What I think helped me was applying strategically my 3rd time around, to schools that are more “holistic”, weight heavily last 45 GPA, and do pre req grade replacements (some did, some don’t, but I still applied). I also changed my essay the 3rd time around. My first 2 essays were similar, but since some schools do save your previous essays, its good to change it up, if you can! And obviously retaking classes, and/or doing a postbacc/masters program to boost GPAs! I also did a file review with LMU, which I think helped out with getting an interview with them the next year. I think that once I got my foot in the door with interviews, I really rocked them!! BEMO and MMI websites are your friends!!

And most importantly, the SDN forum and APVMA FB group are huge resources that really helped me out, even if I only ever lurked for the first couple years, haha.

Good luck out there everyone!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I CANNOT believe I get to write this!!!! LOW GPA ALERT! I’m non-traditional and have been working with animals (as an employee) since I was 14. I actually posted on the WAMC previously and was told I’d never get in with my stats. My GPA seriously limited my chances, but I still was pulled off of a waitlist. I think my experiences, LORs and essays were extremely strong and what carried my application. As much as everyone told me not to and I didn’t listen (cause who does), the more you compare yourself, the more you doubt yourself. I compared myself to everyone with a 3.5+. Congratulations to everyone that got an acceptance OR waitlisted (because that’s still something to be proud of). Even if you didn’t get in this cycle, YOU WILL!

25Y, F, KY resident, non-traditional, first time applicant

Applied: WSU, Iowa State, Michigan State, UW-Madison, Colorado (DVM/MBA), Oregon State, Minnesota, Kansas

Interview Invites: Michigan State

Waiting to hear: Waitlisted at WSU, CSU, MSU, KSU, ISU

Accepted: Iowa State

Attending: Likely Iowa unless WSU pulls me off

Overall GPA: 💣 2.5 💣 (3.5 for those that recalculate)

Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.7 depending on the school

Overall Science: 2.9

Last 45 GPA: 3.9 (consisted of Biochem, OChems, Biostats, CellBio, along with 10 other science courses)

GRE (Q/V/W): Took CASPER and scored 4th percentile

Degree(s): Bachelors in Business Management

Veterinary Experience:

Experience - 14,000 hrs. About 6000 are shelter medicine, 6000 large animal, 2000 small animal/exotic

Animal Experience:

Experience - 20,000 hours as an Executive Director at an animal shelter. 2,000 hours as a licensed wildlife rehabber. 1,000 pet sitting. 3,000 showing, milking, and raising dairy goats. I also have about 1,000 hours in grant writing

Research:

Experience - 300, but this was after I applied, so none of these schools knew this.

Extracurriculars/Awards:

Experience - Only thing I had was competing nationally with goats and gardening (selling at my farmers market)

Non-Animal Employment:

Experience - None

LORs:

One large animal vet I’ve known for 12 years

One small animal vet

One exotics vet

Biochem professor

Wildlife rehabber mentor

President/CEO of a shelter (former employer)

I talked about my experience in shelter medicine and seeing the changes over the past 10 years. From shelters criticizing owners to us now trying to keep pets in homes was a LARGE part of my essays. I also spoke about grant writing that I do.
SO HAPPY FOR YOU AHHHHH!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
20F, Hawaii resident, traditional applicant, first application cycle

Applied:
U of Illinois, Colorado State, U of Minnesota, Oregon State University, Washington State University
Interview Invites: U of Minnesota
Rejected: Colorado State, U of Illinois (round 2/3), U of Minnesota
Waitlisted: Oregon State University, Washington State University
Accepted: Washington State University
Attending: Washington State University!!!

Overall GPA:

Degree(s):
BS in Zoology

Veterinary Experience:
~660 hours
Vet Assistant at small animal hospital ~410 hrs
Shadowing ~ 50 hrs
Vet Assistant at a different small animal hospital ~200

Animal Experience: ~300 hrs
Pet ownership ~250 hrs (I was told to count this by my advisor)
Volunteering at a Humane Society in college ~50 hrs

Research: no research done in undergrad

Extracurriculars/Awards:
My Sorority ~130 hrs
President's Honor Roll all 3 years of undergrad

Non-Animal Employment:
Retail Associate in High School ~400 hrs
Barista (during COVID) ~90 hrs

LORs:
2 veterinarians from the first pet hospital I worked at
Pre-Vet Advisor at WSU
My favorite TA from a biology lab

I talked about how my experience working at a vet clinic when I was 18 solidified my decision to pursue vetmed. I specifically talked about one patient my boss at the time took in at a discounted rate. It was a very heartwarming experience. I also talked about how during covid, I was taking online classes starting at 5 am then going into the vet clinic to work 10 hour shifts (essentially, my work ethic). Lastly, I talked about my other passions and my priority for mental well-being.

Tips/concluding thoughts:
Honestly, I 100% could've gone after more opportunities in college. But COVID caused my entire freshman year to move online, and then because I planned on graduating in 3 years, I felt that it was too late almost to join other extra-curricular activities. Which sounds lazy, but at the time I was overwhelmed with adjusting to college life, taking my first in-person science exam, attempting to make friends, adjusting to not having a car, etc. My tip is that it's okay if you feel like you didn't do enough in college. It's okay to focus on school and your mental health and get your experience later. Although grades aren't everything, they can show your work ethic and focus level. I was really shocked to find out I got off the waitlist at WSU and honestly, I'm really happy I was able to enjoy my time at college, not overwhelm myself with leadership roles and clubs, and still get in.

Reactions: 2 users
23 year old, Female, Michigan Resident, Technically Non-traditional, and 2nd application cycle

I have previously been accepted into the C/O 2026 cycle at Ross and SGU. Ended up defering SGU to reapply to vet schools as I was not ready to move away from home yet.

Applied: LMU, Illinois, Purdue, Mizzou, Ohio State, Michigan State, Glasgow, Mississippi State, Kansas State
Interview Invites: LMU, Ohio State, Michigan State, Glasgow, Mississippi State
Waiting to hear: Mississippi State (Declined waitlist spot, was #1 for OOS)
Accepted: Michigan State, Ohio State, LMU, Glasgow
Attending: Michigan State

Overall GPA: 3.52
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.37
Last 45 GPA: ~3.48

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science Pre-Vet Emphasis, with minors in Chemistry and Biology

Veterinary Experience:
720 hours of Large animal/equine internship, 2080 hours of small animal low cost clinic, 320 hours of exotics and small animal, 48 hours of Large Animal only, 48 hours of equine only

Animal Experience:
64 hours in Sheep Production Lab, 285 hours in Pet Store Cashier, 234 hours in HS Equestrian Team, 728 hours in 4-H

Research:
100 Hours of Belize Crocodile and Manatee Research through Loop Abroad
585+ hours of Analytical Chemistry research through pharmaceutical testing facility
Extracurriculars
Greek Life Council Campus Events Chair
Tri Beta
Sorority Vice President
Panhellenic VP of Membership Recruitment
Greek Life Council and Sorority PR Chairman
Campus Ministry
Robotics Team
Spanish Honors Society, NHS
Creative Writing Club
HS and Middle School Sports

Awards:
Greek Life Member of the Year
Youth Achiever Award through Local Fair
Dean's List X4
President's Award for Educational Excellence
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program Recipient
FAMACHA Certification
AI Certification through ABS Global
State Championship in Robotics

Non-Animal Employment:
1080 of Tutoring through University, 50 hours of student employment at Cedar Point,

LORs:
2 letters of recommendation from Primary low cost clinic vet and internship vet
1 letter of recommendation from microbiology and bioethics professor
1 letter of recommendation from tutoring supervisor
1 letter of recommendation from academic advisor

Mainly talked about how a behavioral euth gone wrong sent me packing from veterinary medicine that I started to look into other fields instead of veterinary school. I took a bioethics class and one unit was over bioterrorism. This class opened a new field in vet med for me, and I talked about how cruical vets are from a terrorism stand point to prevent zoonotic diseases from spreading.

Final Thoughts: I was lucky to be able to defer and have a pick of the litter from various schools around the nation in my second cycle. If SGU had not offered that option to me, I don't think I'd be in vet school right now. I suffered a long time from imposter syndrome and still do. My main advice is apply until you are happy with the outcome. If that means taking a gap year, do it. Travel, live alone, learn to pay bills and rent all on your own and save money. If walking away from vet med for a while means you relearn your passion, do it. You might come back or you might find something else you love. Vet Med is all I have dreamed about, and I can not see myself doing anything but this. Unless of course, I'm teaching about vet med.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
23 year old, Female, Michigan Resident, Technically Non-traditional, and 2nd application cycle

I have previously been accepted into the C/O 2026 cycle at Ross and SGU. Ended up defering SGU to reapply to vet schools as I was not ready to move away from home yet.

Applied: LMU, Illinois, Purdue, Mizzou, Ohio State, Michigan State, Glasgow, Mississippi State, Kansas State
Waiting to hear: Mississippi State
Attending: Toss up between Michigan State and Mississippi State

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science Pre-Vet Emphasis, with minors in Chemistry and Biology

Veterinary Experience:
720 hours of Large animal/equine internship, 2080 hours of small animal low cost clinic, 320 hours of exotics and small animal, 48 hours of Large Animal only, 48 hours of equine only

Animal Experience:
64 hours in Sheep Production Lab, 285 hours in Pet Store Cashier, 234 hours in HS Equestrian Team, 728 hours in 4-H

Research:
585+ hours of Analytical Chemistry research through pharmaceutical testing facility
Extracurriculars
Tri Beta
Sorority Vice President
Campus Ministry
Robotics Team
Creative Writing Club

Awards:
Dean's List X4
FAMACHA Certification

Non-Animal Employment:
1080 of Tutoring through University, 50 hours of student employment at Cedar Point,

LORs:

Mainly talked about how a behavioral euth gone wrong sent me packing from veterinary medicine that I started to look into other fields instead of veterinary school. I took a bioethics class and one unit was over bioterrorism. This class opened a new field in vet med for me, and I talked about how cruical vets are from a terrorism stand point to prevent zoonotic diseases from spreading.

Final Thoughts: I was lucky to be able to defer and have a pick of the litter from various schools around the nation in my second cycle. If SGU had not offered that option to me, I don't think I'd be in vet school right now. I suffered a long time from imposter syndrome and still do. My main advice is apply until you are happy with the outcome. If that means taking a gap year, do it. Travel, live alone, learn to pay bills and rent all on your own and save money. If walking away from vet med for a while means you relearn your passion, do it. You might come back or you might find something else you love. Vet Med is all I have dreamed about, and I can not see myself doing anything but this. Unless of course, I'm teaching about vet med.
How do you go about deferring? Do you pay the deposit and then defer? Or do it before that...does the admissions counselor take care of it for you?

How do you go about deferring? Do you pay the deposit and then defer? Or do it before that...does the admissions counselor take care of it for you?
I contact Krista and Gianna about potential deferring if it was an option. Signed all the paperwork, and then paid the deposit. It held my seat for Fall 2023 so i could reapply this year. I was originally applying for Fall 2022, then was accepted for Spring 2023 and pushed my start date to Fall 2023.

Reactions: 1 user

Waiting to hear: Mississippi State (Declined waitlist spot, was #1 for OOS)
Attending: Michigan State

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Research:
Extracurriculars
Tri Beta
Sorority Vice President
Campus Ministry
Robotics Team
Creative Writing Club

Awards:
Dean's List X4
FAMACHA Certification

Non-Animal Employment:

LORs:

did you defer or ask for deferment after you paid your deposit or before? im thinking of doing the same (accepted fall 2023 but thinking to defer until fall 2024)

did you defer or ask for deferment after you paid your deposit or before? im thinking of doing the same (accepted fall 2023 but thinking to defer until fall 2024)

I asked for deferment before i paid the deposit.

thanks I have to write a letter to committee to ask for one, wish me luck

I can't believe I can finally post on here! I've been lurking on here for YEARS wishing that one day I can post, and it is absolutely unbelievable that I can do that now. Best of luck to all future applicants!

22, F, Arizona, Traditional, First time applicant:

Applied:
Midwestern, Arizona, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Mizzou, University of Illinois, Mississippi
Rejected: Washington, Colorado, Mizzou
Interview Invites: Midwestern, Arizona, Mississippi, Illinois (declined to interview)
Waiting to hear: Arizona - I was originally declined last week but today they emailed me saying they want to re-review my application!!
Accepted: Midwestern, Oregon, Mississippi (declined)
Attending: Not sure yet! Heavily leaning towards OSU but depends on if I make it into UA or not.

Overall GPA: 3.88
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.93
Last 45 GPA: 3.90 (??? not too sure)

GRE (Q/V/W): N/A

Degree(s): BS in Biology, minor in Violin Performance

Veterinary Experience:
Kennel Attendant: 1078
Shadow at exotic AH: 36
Vet Assistant at SA GP with PT: 864
Shadow at SA GP (working interview): 2
Vet Assistant at SA GP (current job): 140

Animal Experience:
Small exotics caretaker: 52
Wildlife orphan care volunteer: 168
Hedgehog foster: 115
Hoofstock keeper volunteer at zoo: 96
Horse maintenance volunteer at therapeutic horse riding ranch: 6
Volunteer at large animal sanctuary: 1
Dog sitter: 10
Personal cat owner: 1170
Personal dog owner: 6200

Research:
Did my own project as undergrad researcher collaborating with local aquarium to study stress response in their sturgeon: 80
Undergrad research assistant in shark conservation research: 69
Undergrad research assistant in fish functional morphology: 90

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Student mentor in high school: 15
Mayor's Youth Advisory Commission member in high school: 44
Leadership Intern for a kids' science camp in high school: 40
Violin Student in high school: 300
Violin Student in university: 856
Youth Orchestra member: 448
Youth Regional Orchestra member: 32
Adult Orchestra member: 50
Church member: 4200
Dean's List for 7/8 semesters of college (currently finishing my 8th semester!)

Non-Animal Employment:
Private Violin Teacher: 444
Private Violin Teacher for a strings teaching program at my university: 11

LORs:
Relief Veterinarian I worked with in SA GP
PhD Professor who ran my fish functional morphology lab
PhD student who was my mentor in my own research project

I talked about my passion for wildlife medicine/conservation and how I discovered this is what I want to continue my career in. I also talked about my struggles as an Asian American veterinary professional who dealt with racism but persevered and continued to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. I ended my personal statement by saying I hope to be a leader and mentor for future Asian American veterinary professionals while helping to pave a way in wildlife medicine/conservation and helping all animals.

Last edited:
  • Love
I didn't think I would get to post here!!
22 y/o, Colorado, Traditional first time applicant

Applied: Cornell, CSU, UF, NCSU, A&M
Interview Invites: UF, A&M
Waiting to hear: IS alternate list CSU
Accepted: Pulled of Alternate list at UF
Attending: UF!!

Overall GPA: 3.92
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.93
Last 45 GPA: 3.91
GRE (Q/V/W): did not take :)

Degree(s): Bachelors in Chemistry, Pre-health emphasis

Veterinary Experience:
3,000 hrs Small animal GP vet assistant

Animal Experience:
35 hrs Horse rescue
320 hrs Doggy daycare
200 hrs small animal rescue

Research:
absolutely none.... Hate it

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Merit scholarships all 3 years
science scholarships 2/3 years
chemistry Academic scholar
Outstanding achievement in physical chemistry

Non-Animal Employment:
2000 hrs Gymnastics Coaching
500 hrs super marker checker

LORs:
Veterinarian owner of GP I worked at
Manager of GP
Chemistry Professor
Volunteer coordinator at horse rescue

I wrote about gymnastics and how that made the dedicated and hardworking person I am today and how that translated into school and vet med further.

How my coaching of gymnastics can help translate to explanation of things in school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 33, female, Washington State, Non-traditional, 4th time applicant.

I’ll summarize information I have on my first 3 applications and expand on hours breakdown for the 4th application

1st Application 2018, was California resident at the time
Applied:
UC Davis, WSU, Oregon State University, Oklahoma State University, KSU, Mizzou
Denied by all, no interviews.
Overall GPA: 3.06
Science GPA (VMCAS):
Last 45 GPA:
3.37-3.42
Veterinary Experience: 462 hrs
Animal Experience: 11,420 hrs
Research: none
Non-Animal Employment: 3500 hrs
LORs: mixed animal vet, 2 professors, medical doctor

2nd Application 2020, WA resident

Applied: WSU, Oregon State University, KSU, SDSU
Interview Invites:
WSU, SDSU
Waitlisted: WSU
Overall GPA: 3.19
Science GPA (VMCAS):
Last 45 GPA:
Veterinary Experience: 462 hrs
Animal Experience: 13,770 hrs
Research:
none
Non-Animal Employment:
5512 hrs
LORs:
mixed animal vet, 3 professors

3rd Application 2021, WA resident

Applied: WSU, SDSU, UMN, WCVM (Saskatchewan
Interview Invites:
WSU, SDSU
Waitlisted: SDSU – started at #20 and made it up to #2
Overall GPA: 3.21
Science GPA (VMCAS):
Last 45 GPA:
Veterinary Experience: 759 hrs
Animal Experience: 15,608 hrs
Research:
none
Non-Animal Employment:
7620 hrs
LORs:
small animal vet, farm owner, professor

4th Application 2022, WA resident

Applied: WSU, Oklahoma State University, ISU, KSU, SDSU, UMN, UC Davis, Purdue, tOSU
(I know Davis was very unlikely but location is closer to family and they were no longer looking at overall gpa so I went for it in case the high last 45 gpa and gre quantitative score might get it looked at)
Interview Invites:
WSU, SDSU, KSU
Waitlisted:
WSU, ISU (68/236)
Accepted:
ISU
Attending:
ISU

Overall GPA:
Science GPA (VMCAS): 3.21
Science Prerequisite GPA (per Iowa):
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):

164 (86%) /161 (88%) /3.5 (41%)
Casper:
2nd quartile

Degree(s):
BS in Animal Science - pre veterinary track
AS in Pre-Veterinary Science
AS in Equine Science
2 – AAs in general studies
Several certificates in accounting

Veterinary Experience:
849 hrs
Small Animal Hospital Receptionist – 387 hrs
Mixed Animal Hospital Volunteer – 102 hrs
Equine Hospital Volunteer – 240 hrs
Holistic Small Animal Clinic Volunteer – 120 hrs

Animal Experience: 17,060 hours
California Rangers (youth cavalry riding organization – 1050 hrs
Horseshoeing School – 320 hrs
Farm Hand (horses, goats, turkeys, chickens) – 15,650 hrs
Washington State Sheep Shearing School – 40 hrs

Research:
none

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Aberdeen Sunday Market Volunteer (local farmers market) – 320 hrs
Red Cross Blood Donor – 2 hrs
Knitting club – 30 hrs
RAMP – 50 hrs
Walking Shield Volunteer – 10 hrs
Pierce College Pre-Vet Club – 140 hrs
Pierce College Boots & Saddles Club – 60 hrs
Pre-Vet Club Treasurer
Sheep Shearing Certificate 2022
Professional Horseshoeing Certificate 2014
Best Condition in 25mi limited distance endurance ride
Dean’s list – 9 times

Non-Animal Employment: 9300 hrs
Amazon – 4200 hrs
Tractor Supply Company – 1600 hrs
Bookkeeping – 1000 hrs*
Office/Shipping Manager for small business – 1500 hrs*
Construction – 1000 hrs*
*these hours were work before and during undergrad and not kept track of so very likely underestimated

LORs:
Small Animal Veterinarian at clinic I first volunteered at and later worked as receptionist
Biology Professor & board-certified genetic counselor I took biology and genetics with
Professor and veterinarian I took classes with
Owner of the farm I accumulated my over 15k animal hours with who’s know me almost 20 years and encouraged me to look at and pursue veterinary medicine

I had trouble writing the personal statement, I much preferred when they had the three separate essays as for me, those were direct questions to answer and much easier than the open-ended personal statement.
I wrote about an injured newborn colt who didn’t make it and how afterwards it was suggested to me to become a vet which was something I hadn’t considered since I was a kid. I included that I’d made the decision not to be a vet as a kid due to vets dealing with euthanasia which I couldn’t handle because I felt it showed maturation in now being able to confront that aspect. Then talked about preferring rural medicine/environments, the aspects of vet medicine I’d been introduced to in school/volunteering and how my other interests aligned with a couple specialties I might pursue.
After I got an acceptance from Iowa, I did (of course) think of a completely different way to write the personal statement where it’s more of a story and comparing veterinary medicine/schooling to endurance riding. This probably would have been a stronger statement as it would have been more unique and something I was more inspired to write, which always makes for better work from me. Oh, well.

Final Thoughts/Comments:
As you can see, I didn’t have the strongest gpas, strongest number of vet hours and took multiple attempts to get an acceptance. The grades were something I didn’t put enough focus on until damage was done which could only be undone a little. I didn’t focus on getting vet hours while in school and after getting my BS found a combination of financial demands, covid and limited clinics where I lived limited my ability to accumulate them. I made the choice to have horses which did split my focus and impacted my schooling and getting vet hours. I wouldn’t recommend that as a best choice to others pursuing vet med, but it was my decision and I was willing to accept the consequences of it. If I didn’t get an acceptance this cycle, I was going to take a serious look into alternative career paths. Not necessarily give up on applying to vet school but have take a back seat to pursuing another career path which would allow me the other things I want to pursue in life. My persistence, expanding my school selection, retaking courses, pulling up my recent gpa and some luck, have led to getting an acceptance. For anyone else struggling to get in I would suggest both not giving up but also not having so much focus on it that it’s the only thing in your life. Find other things that make life worthwhile (baby goats, puppies or kittens are always a good option).

• Love
I'm SO excited I finally get to post here! I am currently a junior in my undergrad program, and I decided to apply early to a few schools this cycle with the intent of starting veterinary school without completing my undergraduate degree if I was accepted. I thought it would be a great opportunity, regardless of the outcome, to get some feedback on my application. If I weren't accepted, I would have completed my undergrad degree the following year and reapplied.

21, Female, Illinois, Traditional-ish (applying without an undergraduate degree), 1

Applied: Washington/ Utah program, Mizzou, Iowa
Interview Invites: Mizzou
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
IOWA STATE!!! Mizzou (pulled off OOS waitlist on 05/02)
Attending: Iowa State!

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.6

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
did not take

Degree(s):
As I stated, I decided to apply 'early' as a junior as I had all of the prerequisites planned to be completed/ were completed. I honestly wasn't expecting an acceptance, but I had some savings that I put towards my application fees and thought it would be useful to experience an application cycle and see where I stood.

Veterinary Experience:
Wildlife Rehab vet clinic - vet assistant and volunteer trainer - 900 hours
Small animal GP - vet assistant intern - 200 hours
Small animal GP - vet assistant - 500 hours
Equine vet - student shadow - 30 hours (during COVID times so was unable to get too many)
Shelter med vet - intern - 500 hours
ER - student shadow - 10 hours (continued getting more hours after submitting my app)

Animal Experience:
Humane society - volunteer - 1500 hours
Humane society - vet assistant and animal care associate - 200 hours
Lab animal caretaker - through research internship - 100 hours
Farm animal - volunteer (the wildlife center also had a barn program) - 40 hours

Research:
Undergraduate Research Internship in Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences at Utah State University - 300 hours
Molecular Biology research through a course at my undergrad - 100 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Participated in Concert Band all throughout undergrad (and orchestra for one year) and was principal player and section leader
New member educator for a service fraternity on-campus
Youth mentor volunteer for a refugee assistance program
President of Pre-Health Club

Non-Animal Employment:
I work on-campus as a lab technician and prepare the materials for the various biology labs

LORs:
DVM at the wildlife rehab vet clinic (have worked with for 6+ years during the summer/fall)
PI (PhD) of the research lab at Utah State I was in - I worked closely with him throughout the summer and he encouraged me to apply early
Orgo professor (PhD) that I had for 1 year
Intro biology professor (PhD) that I had developed a relationship with as I initially did not do so well in her class but by the end was excelling

I opened with a case at the wildlife rehab center that I took in while the vet was off the property. I managed the case successfully while training other volunteers and tied in my desire to educate others. Talked about my experience in shelter med (need to be able to adapt and innovate) and a story of me walking a veteran through the spaying procedure of his ESA and the importance of client education.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I am truly SO happy with my decision to apply early. While I consider my grades to be average, I think what made me stand out was my research experience, my diverse experiences, and the volunteering at the non-profit that assists refugee families (I wrote about this in my supplemental questions).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'm SO excited I finally get to post here! I am currently a junior in my undergrad program, and I decided to apply early to a few schools this cycle with the intent of starting veterinary school without completing my undergraduate degree if I was accepted. I thought it would be a great opportunity, regardless of the outcome, to get some feedback on my application. If I weren't accepted, I would have completed my undergrad degree the following year and reapplied.

21, Female, Illinois, Traditional-ish (applying without an undergraduate degree), 1

Applied: Washington/ Utah program, Mizzou, Iowa
Interview Invites: Mizzou
Waiting to hear: Mizzou (waitlisted)
Accepted: IOWA STATE!!!
Attending: Iowa State!

Overall GPA: 3.7
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.6

did not take

Degree(s):
As I stated, I decided to apply 'early' as a junior as I had all of the prerequisites planned to be completed/ were completed. I honestly wasn't expecting an acceptance, but I had some savings that I put towards my application fees and thought it would be useful to experience an application cycle and see where I stood.

Veterinary Experience:
Wildlife Rehab vet clinic - vet assistant and volunteer trainer - 900 hours
Small animal GP - vet assistant intern - 200 hours
Small animal GP - vet assistant - 500 hours
Equine vet - student shadow - 30 hours (during COVID times so was unable to get too many)
Shelter med vet - intern - 500 hours
ER - student shadow - 10 hours (continued getting more hours after submitting my app)

Animal Experience:
Humane society - volunteer - 1500 hours
Humane society - vet assistant and animal care associate - 200 hours
Lab animal caretaker - through research internship - 100 hours
Farm animal - volunteer (the wildlife center also had a barn program) - 40 hours

Research:
Undergraduate Research Internship in Animal, Dairy, and Veterinary Sciences at Utah State University - 300 hours
Molecular Biology research through a course at my undergrad - 100 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Participated in Concert Band all throughout undergrad (and orchestra for one year) and was principal player and section leader
New member educator for a service fraternity on-campus
Youth mentor volunteer for a refugee assistance program
President of Pre-Health Club

Non-Animal Employment:
I work on-campus as a lab technician and prepare the materials for the various biology labs

LORs:
DVM at the wildlife rehab vet clinic (have worked with for 6+ years during the summer/fall)
PI (PhD) of the research lab at Utah State I was in - I worked closely with him throughout the summer and he encouraged me to apply early
Orgo professor (PhD) that I had for 1 year
Intro biology professor (PhD) that I had developed a relationship with as I initially did not do so well in her class but by the end was excelling

I opened with a case at the wildlife rehab center that I took in while the vet was off the property. I managed the case successfully while training other volunteers and tied in my desire to educate others. Talked about my experience in shelter med (need to be able to adapt and innovate) and a story of me walking a veteran through the spaying procedure of his ESA and the importance of client education.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! I am truly SO happy with my decision to apply early. While I consider my grades to be average, I think what made me stand out was my research experience, my diverse experiences, and the volunteering at the non-profit that assists refugee families (I wrote about this in my supplemental questions).
I did the same thing! I got waitlisted (I only applied to my IS because I wanted the experience as well), but I am really glad because it showed me where I stood for the next cycle. I recommend this to anyone who is in a similar spot!

• Love
Honestly surprised to be posting here and mostly posting for people who may feel like they are ordinary in their application.

23, female, Florida, traditional but took a year and a half gap year, first time applying

Applied: UF, NCSU, Mississippi
Interview Invites: Mississippi
Waiting to hear:none
Accepted: waitlisted then accepted Mississippi
Attending: Mississippi

Overall GPA: 3.76
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.74

GRE (Q/V/W):
x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
Never took it as it was not required

Degree(s):
Started in agribusiness then transferred and graduated with a bs in Animal Science
Veterinary Experience: In total a little over 3000 when I applied

At three different small animal hospitals
About 1500 hours at two different general practice small animal clinics in my area
20 hours at small gp clinic in georgia

Animal Experience:
I believe I was around 2000
Did fair project raising livestock during ffa which is where a lot of those hours come from.
I also am a partial owner of a small cattle operation which is where the other hours come from

Research:
None - and I was really scared this would be the reason I did not make it in

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Academic awards (deans, president list)
Small scholarships
Sorority member and officer during college
Active alumni in my old ffa chapter and put on events for the chapter

Non-Animal Employment: probably round 400 hours
Teacher assistant
Receptionist for the tutoring center at my school

LORs:
3 from Vets I have worked with
1 from my advisor in college
1 from my FFA advisor in high school (did this because she knows me the longest and also oversaw my events as an alumni member)

I wrote about how vet med was not on my radar in high school since I knew the hardships that came with the field. Talked about changing my major two years into my bachelors because of my passion for the vet field.
In my explanation I wrote about a semester when I performed poorly due to absences from being sick and in the hospital. I also used this space to write about how this helped me and taught me to work harder.
Also my boyfriend’s Aunt is an English AP Teacher and I had her proofread every single essay I submitted. (Which helped tremendously)

• Love
24, F, TX, Traditional-ish, 2nd time applying
Applied: Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Kansas State, Illinois, Colorado State, Purdue
Interview Invites: Minnesota, interview wait-listed at Illinois (then not called off)
Waiting to hear: None
Accepted: Minnesota (after wait-list)
Attending: Minnesota!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.89
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Last 45 GPA: 3.9ish

(If applicable)

Degree(s): BA in English, MS in Veterinary Medical Sciences, shelter medicine concentration

Veterinary Experience:
About 200 in GP from two small animal practices, 500 from a spay/neuter clinic and other medical care at a shelter

Animal Experience:
Roughly 3000 from working at a boarding facility, kennel stuff at a vet clinic, volunteering to walk dogs at a shelter

Research:
Like 30 from coding education things

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Idk what all was on there but I was a National Merit Finalist in high school

Non-Animal Employment:
Uhhh? I worked with kids in highschool. Can't remember if it was on there

LORs:
Manager from job I was at for 2.5 years
Vet I've known and worked with for 3 years
Vet who is head of my master's program

Wrote about wanting to make a difference in shelter medicine impacting a bunch of animals, community medicine, and how my own animals have affected my perspective

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
**Lower GPA Applicant**

24 y/o F, CA resident, Non-Traditional I guess because I graduated from undergrad in 2021, 2nd application cycle

I can't believe I get to post here!! I was only interviewed by Western last year, and then I got waitlisted and never got pulled off, so it feels like such a privilege to be able to start this year! :)

Applied: Ross, SGU, LMU, UC Davis, WesternU, CSU
Interview Invites: Ross, SGU, LMU, UC Davis, WesternU
Waiting to hear: WesternU (waitlisted), UC Davis (waitlisted spot #25)
Accepted: Ross, SGU, LMU
Attending: LMU!

Overall GPA: 3.34
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.41
Last 45 GPA: 3.85

GRE (Q/V/W): 156/159/4.0 (really only did this for Davis)

Degree(s): B.S. in Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution. Minor in Marine Science

Veterinary Experience:
About 2000 hours of veterinary experience (about 50 hours with wildlife/zoo animals, 30 with a spay/neuter clinic, the rest with small animal general practice/urgent care)

Animal Experience:
72 hours as a kennel tech at a small animal clinic, 400 hours as an animal care intern at a zoo, 204 hours as an interpretive volunteer at a zoo

Research:
None

Extracurriculars:
Instructional Assistant/Teaching Assistant
Board member for one year of the Pre-Vet Club at my university (separately listed myself as a regular club member for the previous year)
AFROTC
HS Varsity Cross Country
HS Student Council Publicist
HS volunteer for doctors without boarders
HS volunteer for a club that raised money that went towards buying books/computers for communities in Kenya
Hobby artist/I also sell some of my work

Awards:
Provost honors for 6 quarters

Non-Animal Employment:
480 hours as a sales representative for an apparel company

LORs:
2 letters from vets I worked with for urgent care
1 letter from my Microbiology lecture/lab professor

I emphasized that there were no single defining moment that made me want to pursue vet med and went on to talk about a few different moments. I also elaborated on how these moments showcased character traits in me that make for a great vet.

Words of encouragement:
For nearly my whole life, I did not believe that vet med was a career that I could actually pursue for various reasons - mostly discouragement from my family. I didn't even start working towards a path in vet med until the summer before my 3rd year in undergrad - it was so daunting when I realized how much I needed to do to build a good application. I am so lucky to have found the drive to work towards this dream.
My advice is to stand up for your dreams and show people that you can do it, and to let your love for whatever you do shine through. Don't give up!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Low GPA Alert! SO happy to be posting on here!

21, F, California Resident, Traditional applicant, 1st time applying

Applied: UCDavis, CSU, UofA, LMU
Interview Invites: UofA (interview waitlist), LMU
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
LMU
Attending: LMU!!

Overall GPA: 3.36
Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.99
Last 45 GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W):
152 (40%) / 143 (18%) / 4.5 (79%)
CASPER: 4th quartile

Degree(s): BS in Psychology, minor in Biology and Animal studies

Veterinary Experience: ~1200 hours ish
Small Animal Urgent Care -500 hrs
Small Animal GP- 600 hrs
Equine GP- 20 hours
Zoo Vet- 24 hours
Wildlife vet- 10 hours

Animal Experience: 3000hrs ish
Zoo Internship -450 hours
Wrangler on Ranch - 1200 hours
Therapeutic Riding Center Volunteer- 8 hours
Animal Care Technician for Lab Rats- 90 hours
Dog Bather- 360 hours
Personal Pets/Ranch- 1500 hours
Wildlife Rehab center- 5 hours.

Research: 300 hours ish
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Assistant first project - 60 hours (published)
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Capstone- 120 hours (published- first co-author)
Behavioral Neuroscience Class Project-96 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards: 2200 hours ish
Sorority- various leadership positions- 500+ hours
D3 Athlete for 3 years- 1000’s hours
Pre-Vet Chair - 20 hours
High School Community Service Club - 400 hours+

Non-Animal Employment: 1200 hours ish
Receptionist - 120 hours
Summer Camp Counselor - 900 hours
Admissions Ambassador - 50 hours

LORs:
3 Vets from the Small Animal General Practice (one ended up writing me a ****ty letter that was only a paragraph long that I learned about in my file review with U of A). Other two wrote me strong letters- one was a LMU grad too.
1 Academic Advisor/Professor I did research with since sophomore year.

Wrote about an experience I had shadowing zoo vet during necropsy and how he described the ruminant animal digestive system to me and I symbolically made connections with the different stomachs to a few different experiences I had that lead me to vet med. (Had a few review this essay, professor loved it, vet student loved it, one vet student hated it, one professor told me it was too artsy, file review with U of A said it was great).

• Love
Low GPA Alert! SO happy to be posting on here!

21, F, California Resident, Traditional applicant, 1st time applying

Applied: UCDavis, CSU, UofA, LMU
Interview Invites: UofA (interview waitlist), LMU
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
LMU
Attending: LMU!!

Overall GPA: 3.36
Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.99
Last 45 GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W):
152 (40%) / 143 (18%) / 4.5 (79%)
CASPER: 4th quartile

Degree(s): BS in Psychology, minor in Biology and Animal studies

Veterinary Experience: ~1200 hours ish
Small Animal Urgent Care -500 hrs
Small Animal GP- 600 hrs
Equine GP- 20 hours
Zoo Vet- 24 hours
Wildlife vet- 10 hours

Animal Experience: 3000hrs ish
Zoo Internship -450 hours
Wrangler on Ranch - 1200 hours
Therapeutic Riding Center Volunteer- 8 hours
Animal Care Technician for Lab Rats- 90 hours
Dog Bather- 360 hours
Personal Pets/Ranch- 1500 hours
Wildlife Rehab center- 5 hours.

Research: 300 hours ish
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Assistant first project - 60 hours (published)
Behavioral Neuroscience Research Capstone- 120 hours (published- first co-author)
Behavioral Neuroscience Class Project-96 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards: 2200 hours ish
Sorority- various leadership positions- 500+ hours
D3 Athlete for 3 years- 1000’s hours
Pre-Vet Chair - 20 hours
High School Community Service Club - 400 hours+

Non-Animal Employment: 1200 hours ish
Receptionist - 120 hours
Summer Camp Counselor - 900 hours
Admissions Ambassador - 50 hours

LORs:
3 Vets from the Small Animal General Practice (one ended up writing me a ****ty letter that was only a paragraph long that I learned about in my file review with U of A). Other two wrote me strong letters- one was a LMU grad too.
1 Academic Advisor/Professor I did research with since sophomore year.

Wrote about an experience I had shadowing zoo vet during necropsy and how he described the ruminant animal digestive system to me and I symbolically made connections with the different stomachs to a few different experiences I had that lead me to vet med. (Had a few review this essay, professor loved it, vet student loved it, one vet student hated it, one professor told me it was too artsy, file review with U of A said it was great).
I don’t understand why a vet would write a bad LOR, like they could have just told you no.

I don’t understand why a vet would write a bad LOR, like they could have just told you no.
I know right. I got the email notification she submitted it and then she texted me and emailed me a copy of the letter and it was literally a paragraph long and I remember thinking "lord i hope she didn't submit that", but i guess she did. I was very confused about it too because she has always been very encouraging of me going to vet school and was happy when I asked her to write me the letter. I don't really know. *shrug*.

There is limited DVM/PhD info out there so hope this is of use to someone.

24, M, CA Resident, Trad (one gap year), 2nd app
Applied:
Regular-only: Washington, Oregon, Missouri
DVM/PhD program + Regular: UC Davis, Cornell, Penn, Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin
Interview Invites:
Regular: UC Davis, Minnesota, Illinois
DVM/PhD specific: UC Davis, Illinois, Wisconsin, Colorado, Minnesota
Waitlisted: Colorado DVM/PhD, Iowa (I took myself off both waitlists before movement)
Accepted: UC Davis (DVM/PhD), Illinois (DVM/PhD), Wisconsin (DVM, I declined DVM/PhD interview), Minnesota (PhD-part of dual, rejected for DVM)
Attending: UC Davis (DVM/PhD)

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.83 (Took L-s on Chem/O-Chem)
Last 45 GPA: 3.96

GRE (Q/V/W): 170 (96%), 164 (94%), 4.0 (54%)
Casper: Top 25% or whatever

Degree(s): B.S. Animal Biology (Research-based major)

Veterinary Experience:
1,300 hours - Veterinary Assistant in Radiation Oncology at Teaching Hospital, Majority small animal, tiny bit of equine, even less of exotics

Animal Experience:
77 hours - Calf intern at University Dairy Barn
160 hours - Part-time at pet store
48 hours - Dog walking for an animal shelter
120 hours - Outreach events for a different animal shelter

Research:
160 hours - Basic science oncology research (Some dual apps are due later, so was more hours on other apps)
920 hours - Clinical veterinary oncology/nutrition research - was my major thesis project
125 hours - Genetics-focused nematology lab
104 hours - Ecology-focused nematology lab

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Honors Program throughout Undergrad
Dean's List (x5)
Merit-based scholarship given to people based on initial undergrad application
High School Award for high cumulative GPA
Citation for Outstanding Performance in Animal Biology (but only went on later dual app CVs)

Non-animal Experience:
48 hours - Mentor for HS students interested in VetMed
40 hours - Moderating pre-vet discord server for my Uni and providing resources (Yes, I did put this, shows leadership imo!)
24 hours - Making and distributing meals to the community

LORs:
Regular DVM:
VetMed Professor (DVM/MS), worked with me in clinics and on major thesis
VetMed Professor (DVM/PhD), worked with me on major thesis
Hospital supervisor (Registered Tech), worked with me in clinics
Resident (DVM), worked with me in clinics

DVM/PhD:
Same 2 professors listed above for all
Some got supervisor, some got an academic researcher (PhD) who I worked with in the basic science oncology lab

Regular DVM:
Love for team atmosphere on clinics (talked about my time on clinics). Desire to teach and mentor others (talked about current leadership roles). Goal of DVM/PhD and interest in an academic career (talked about a vetmed graduation ceremony I attended).

DVM/PhD:
Talked about desire for academic radiation oncology, and how I got into it. Expressed research interests in programming/data analysis and therapeutic development. Went through all my vet related research experiences. Explained my interest in comparative medicine and how my interest in data/programming would help me there.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
LOW GPA ALERT! So, so thrilled and excited to be posting on here! :)

24 (though 23 when apps were due), F, CA resident, traditional applicant, this was my 2nd time applying

Applied:
U of A (interview waitlisted and then rejected), ISU, Mizzou, LMU, WesternU, CSU, UPenn (withdrew application), Tufts (withdrew application), LIU (withdrew application), OSU (rejected)
Interview Invites:
Mizzou (withdrew application before my interview), LMU, WesternU
Waiting to hear:
N/A
Waitlisted: WesternU, ISU (withdrew application before waitlist began moving for both schools)
Accepted: CSU (Vet Prep), LMU
Attending: CSU!!!

Overall Undergrad GPA:
Last 45 GPA:
UF Higher Education GPA:
Important to note that except for the UF higher education GPA, all of the other calculated GPAs are based off of just undergrad.

CASPER: Top 25%/quartile

Degree(s):
B.S. Molecular Environmental Biology with an emphasis in Animal Health and Behavior
B.A. Molecular and Cell Biology with an emphasis in Immunology and Pathogenesis (yes lol, I don't know why it's a B.A. and not a B.S.)

Veterinary Experience:

4800 hours - full-service vet hospitals and vaccination clinics for dogs and cats, paid
600 hours - vet experience for exotic animals and small mammals while working in a museum, paid
250 hours - shelter medicine for dogs and cats, volunteer

Animal Experience:
2880 hours - animal caretaker of exotics and small mammals in the same museum mentioned above, paid
200 hours - cat volunteer at a local animal shelter

Research:
1200 hours - undergraduate researcher + an unpaid internship for a summer at a medical school studying the genes that can help develop human asthma
1000 hours - undergraduate researcher at a vet school studying canine OSA, completed my senior thesis during this time

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Part of a molecular biology club designed to provide career, social, and educational opportunities for undergrad students in the major for all 4 years of undergrad. Must apply and interview for an acceptance into the club. Took up many leadership positions such as: event committee chair, big-little program founder and coordinator, summer undergrad research program coordinator, president
- Part of student government as an intern and then as a chief in command
- The judicial chair for my sorority
- Awarded multiple scholarships to attend my private high school

Non-Animal Employment (sorry don't remember the number of hours!):
- Dining hall server and then dining hall shift lead
- Reading mentor for underprivileged elementary school students
- Worked at Peet's Coffee
- Summer day camp counselor

LORs:
- 1 from a vet specializing in dogs and cats
- 1 from a vet in shelter medicine
- 1 from my manager from my animal experience job (the museum)
- 1 from my animal physiology professor

I wrote about the animal ambassadors I met during my time at the museum and how I learned just how important their role as animal ambassadors is to teach humans about the importance of maintaining our planet so that these animals can thrive in the wild, sharing our planet with these animals, and essentially just how to respect them. I also talked about how caring for these animal ambassadors and falling in love with all of them has made me want to pursue a career in zoo med, especially after seeing what happens when you don't have a zoo vet on staff when you really need one.

STOP HERE IF YOU WOULD LIKE.

TW: Abuse

Exceptional Circumstances:
I also did have an exceptional circumstances statement due to a history of child abuse (mostly mental, some physical) by my parents, which led me to separate myself from my family as a sophomore in undergrad. This made me suddenly financially responsible for myself, and I had to switch over to both working and studying full time. Due to my unfortunate history, I also had a history of mental health issues that carried on throughout my undergraduate years and were very apparent in my grades. I discussed how I have improved my mental health (I explained the steps I have taken and how I am successfully managing my mental health today), why I know I can 100% complete vet school successfully, and showed proof of that (i.e. my increase in GPA, my ability to work full time, study full time, and still take on an undergrad research project that turned into my senior thesis, my success in pursuing higher education classes, etc).

Don't be afraid to shoot me a DM if you have any questions! :) Hope this helps anybody applying with a low GPA or an exceptional circumstance (or anybody in general tbh)!

• Care
**Lower GPA Applicant**

23 y/o F, CA resident, Non-Traditional I guess because I graduated from undergrad in 2021, 2nd application cycle

I can't believe I get to post here!! I was only interviewed by Western last year, and then I got waitlisted and never got pulled off, so it feels like such a privilege to be able to start this year! :)

Applied: Ross, SGU, LMU, UC Davis, WesternU, CSU
Interview Invites: Ross, SGU, LMU, UC Davis, WesternU
Waiting to hear: WesternU (waitlisted), UC Davis (waitlisted spot #25)
Accepted: Ross, SGU, LMU
Attending: LMU!

Overall GPA: 3.34
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.41
Last 45 GPA: 3.85

GRE (Q/V/W): 156/159/4.0 (really only did this for Davis)

Degree(s): B.S. in Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution. Minor in Marine Science

Veterinary Experience:
About 2000 hours of veterinary experience (about 50 hours with wildlife/zoo animals, 30 with a spay/neuter clinic, the rest with small animal general practice/urgent care)

Animal Experience:
72 hours as a kennel tech at a small animal clinic, 400 hours as an animal care intern at a zoo, 204 hours as an interpretive volunteer at a zoo

Research:
None

Extracurriculars:
Instructional Assistant/Teaching Assistant
Board member for one year of the Pre-Vet Club at my university (separately listed myself as a regular club member for the previous year)
AFROTC
HS Varsity Cross Country
HS Student Council Publicist
HS volunteer for doctors without boarders
HS volunteer for a club that raised money that went towards buying books/computers for communities in Kenya
Hobby artist/I also sell some of my work

Awards:
Provost honors for 6 quarters

Non-Animal Employment:
480 hours as a sales representative for an apparel company

LORs:
2 letters from vets I worked with for urgent care
1 letter from my Microbiology lecture/lab professor

I emphasized that there were no single defining moment that made me want to pursue vet med and went on to talk about a few different moments. I also elaborated on how these moments showcased character traits in me that make for a great vet.

Words of encouragement:
For nearly my whole life, I did not believe that vet med was a career that I could actually pursue for various reasons - mostly discouragement from my family. I didn't even start working towards a path in vet med until the summer before my 3rd year in undergrad - it was so daunting when I realized how much I needed to do to build a good application. I am so lucky to have found the drive to work towards this dream.
My advice is to stand up for your dreams and show people that you can do it, and to let your love for whatever you do shine through. Don't give up!

Congrats on a successful year! Do you have any information on what got you an interview at UC Davis? My gpa is similar and would love how to know how to improve my application.

Congrats on a successful year! Do you have any information on what got you an interview at UC Davis? My gpa is similar and would love how to know how to improve my application.
Davis ranks all applicants based on a calculated score from quantitative GRE score, last 45 GPA, and LORs. Usually, the top 180 applicants (25% IS and 10% OoS) get an interview automatically. The next 180 IS applicants are holistically evaluated and 60 of them get offered interviews. If you are OoS best bet with a lower GPA is to move in state so that you'll be included in the holistic reviews. If you are already IS it's harder to tell. Davis won't require the GRE next year, so we don't know how holistic their application will be. If their process is similar to this year, but just without the GRE, you can try to improve your LORs and increase your GPA score to make sure you end up in the holistic 180 pool. You would also need to honestly evaluate whether your experience hours and diversity of experiences make you stand out.

23, F, New York, traditional (other than taking one gap year), first time applying
Applied:
Cornell, Tufts, Tennessee, NC State, UF, Auburn, Colorado, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan
Interview Invites:
Tufts, Auburn, Minnesota, Michigan
Waiting to hear:
waitlisted at Tufts, Minnesota, and Auburn
Accepted:
Michigan
Attending:
Michigan!!!

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
didn't take it

Degree(s): Major in biology (BS), Minor in chemistry

Veterinary Experience:

Small animal GP & surgery - 315hrs
Lg animal GP - 10hrs
(have doubled, and then some, the hours since applying; another ~100hrs bovine experience, which was mentioned in most interviews when applicable)

Animal Experience:
Lab animals undergrad course (hands on) - 60hrs
Fostering - 230hrs
Dog walking - 100hrs
Farm/ barn help (chickens, goats, horses, among others) - 350hrs

Research:
Research assistant at a medical research lab - 2000+ hrs
Research fellow at the same lab - 400hrs
Undergrad independent research - 175hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
undergrad university-sponsored networking & mentorship program - 100hrs
DIII field hockey
Cum laude graduate
Dean's list (4 semesters)
Presidential achievement award / scholarship
merit-based scholarships

National Honor Society - 90hrs (high school)
AP Scholar award (high school)
Highest Honors graduate (GPA 98 or above; high school)

Non-Animal Employment:
Biology TA - 150hrs
Physics TA - 90hrs
University athletics operations assistant - 270hrs
Clubhouse (golf) sales associate & reservation manager - 375 hrs
Lifeguard - 1500hrs

LORs:
Veterinarian (DVM; small animal GP & surgery)
Research Supervisor (PhD)
Professor and Research Supervisor (PhD)
Professor, Teaching Assistant Supervisor, and Advisor (PhD)

I wrote about how science has always been a part of who I am since a young age; I always am curious about my surroundings, am interested in exploring what's around me, and strive to understand everything that I come across. I gave examples of experiences throughout my life that have solidified my interest in science, animals, and medicine (thus vet med), and wrote about the veterinarian who inspires me (they wrote my LOR). I ended with how I want to give back to the profession academically, medically, etc (specifically in my hometown community).

Explanation statement: I wrote about my grandmother who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease that rapidly progressed and how my grandpa, who I was exceptionally close with and was her primary caregiver, passed away very unexpectedly during my sophomore year of undergrad (2020). My mom, sister, and self became her primary caregivers in late Jan 2020, right before COVID hit. We all have a decent idea of how hard that time was as it is, and it especially took a toll on my family and me (and my academics) as we grieved and adjusted to that new home dynamic. I ultimately bounced back from it, but that period had an immense impact on my grades and I felt it was necessary to explain that significant drop in GPA.

*Everyone has strengths and weaknesses in their applications. It was really intimidating for me reading online that some fellow applicants had thousands of hours of vet experience, which I didn't have, but I had to remind myself that I spent a lot of time in research and maybe made up for it in that area. I'm a pretty average applicant all around I think, but I did it and so can anyone else! If you're reading this, waiting and wanting to post here like I was for a long while, don't give up!!!! It's not over; keep going until you get your "yes". :)

Reactions: 1 users
*LOW GPA ALERT*

Haven't really seen many non traditional apps so I'm here to represent both non traditional and low gpa lol

28, F, North Carolina, non-traditional (5 year gap), first time applying
Applied: Georgia, Florida, Tuskegee, Ross
Interview Invites: Tuskegee, Ross
Waiting to hear: waitlisted at Tuskegee
Accepted: Ross
Attending: Waiting to hear from Tuskegee

Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.0
Undergrad Science Prerequisite GPA: 2.9
Undergrad Last 45 GPA: 3.1

GRE (Q/V/W): 143/147/3

Degree(s): Major in biology (BS), Minor in chemistry

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal GP - 338 hrs
Emergency Specialty - 312 hrs

Animal Experience:
Wildlife volunteering- 624 hrs
Animal shelter- 35 hrs
International Student Volunteer- 80 hrs

Research:
Research Support Technician (current job) - 9400+ hrs

Career Development:
Certified Mental Health First Aider
National AALAS Meeting
Leadership Training
AALAS- LAT level
Undergrad Bronze Level Leadership Challenge
National Technician Honors- HS
Deans List

Non-Animal Employment:
Amazon- 2000 + hrs

LORs:
Veterinarian (DVM; small animal GP & Emergency)
Research Associate (DVM, PhD)
Manager (MS)
Trainee (BS) - spoke to my leadership skills
Director of Microbiology (MD)

I spoke about being an advocate for animal health now and in the future. Gave examples of how I've advocated for varies types of animals. I spoke on my international travels and how seeing different habitats from a foreigners point of view changed how I perceive the habitats we have here in the US. I also spoke on how more diversity is needed in this field and my experience being a minority woman not seeing many role models in this field and wanting to change that.

*I am by far as non traditional as it gets. I've taken a 5 year gap, was a very average student in college, made bare minimum GRE scores and only took it once and this is my one and only time applying to vet school because all of my freshman year sciences are expiring. However, I put in the work, retook multiple science classes that I made C's and D's in, got as much experience after undergrad that I could, and even received publication in the Gut journal. You just have to show that you are willing to put in the work. I worked 2 jobs and retook 6 classes during the pandemic and I made sure to share that with them during my interviews so they could understand that I'm ready and willing.

If you are in undergrad trying to figure out your steps, work hard now so you don't have to catch up later. Make those connections and good luck to all.

Last edited:
As Crocodial said, being in-state is pretty much the only thing that will help you get an interview with Davis if you have a low GPA so you get the chance to be holistically evaluated.

I'm not sure what got me an interview this year and not last year, but the things that changed from my 1st application and my 2nd were: 1) my essay - I definitely believe that my essay this year was much stronger than my last one, 2) my LoRs - my recommenders this year knew me a lot better than the ones I asked last year, and they all had experience writing letters of rec for vet schools, 3) my experience - I got another year's worth of full-time experience as a vet assistant/unlicensed tech, 4) my GPA - went from 3.2 to 3.34 cumulative and last 45 went from 3.71 to 3.85.

21, F, California, Traditional, First time applicant

Applied: UC Davis, Oregon State University, Cornell, University of Florida
Rejected: Oregon State University
Interview Invites: UC Davis, University of Florida
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: UC Davis
Waitlisted: UF and Cornell
Attending: UC Davis!

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.89
Last 45 GPA: 3.93

GRE (Q/V/W): 152 (40) / 155 (66) / 4.5 (79) - needed for UC Davis only
CASPER: 4th quartile - needed for UF only

Degree(s): BS in Cellular and Molecular Biology, BA in Philosophy

Veterinary Experience: 2,680 hrs total
Veterinary Assistant Small Animal GP: 1,520
Veterinary Assistant Small Animal/Exotics/Holistic GP: 600
Wildlife Medicine: ~400
Equine GP: ~160

Animal Experience:
Wildlife Husbandry: ~600
Equine: ~16,000 (grew up with horses)
Swine: 50

Research:
Genetics Lab: ~500

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Treasurer of the Philosophy club (3 semesters)
FBI Scholarship
Presidential scholar/Dean's list
Co-presented research at JMIH 2022 conference
Graduated with Honors (summa cum laude)

Non-Animal Employment:
None

LORs:
Wildlife Veterinarian from Wildlife Center
Medical Director and Veterinarian from Small Animal/Exotics GP
Research advisor/professor (PhD)
MLT from Small Animal GP

I took a "competency" approach to the essay and tried to write about how my various unique experiences highlighted and demonstrated the skills that would make me a good veterinary student and veterinarian. I wrote about being a new, inexperienced veterinary assistant and having to step up to the plate and really push my comfort zones/push myself to learn and do new things during the severe staff shortages during COVID-19. I also intertwined this with my second degree in Philosophy and how that reflects my willingness to engage with difficult material, remain open minded and understand that the world is not black and white. I really tried to avoid writing about my passion/admiration for the field and focused in on how I am going to contribute to it with concrete examples.

Last edited:
  • Love
LOW GPA ALERT! So, so thrilled and excited to be posting on here! :)

24 (though 23 when apps were due), F, CA resident, traditional applicant, this was my 2nd time applying

Applied: U of A (interview waitlisted and then rejected), ISU, Mizzou, LMU, WesternU, CSU, UPenn (withdrew application), Tufts (withdrew application), LIU (withdrew application), OSU (rejected)
Interview Invites: Mizzou (withdrew application before my interview), LMU, WesternU
Waiting to hear: N/A
Waitlisted: WesternU, ISU (withdrew application before waitlist began moving for both schools)
Accepted: CSU (Vet Prep), LMU
Attending: CSU!!!

Overall Undergrad GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.15
Last 45 GPA: 3.43
UF Higher Education GPA: 3.33
Important to note that except for the UF higher education GPA, all of the other calculated GPAs are based off of just undergrad.

CASPER: Top 25%/quartile

Degree(s):
B.S. Molecular Environmental Biology with an emphasis in Animal Health and Behavior
B.A. Molecular and Cell Biology with an emphasis in Immunology and Pathogenesis (yes lol, I don't know why it's a B.A. and not a B.S.)

Veterinary Experience:
4800 hours - full-service vet hospitals and vaccination clinics for dogs and cats, paid
600 hours - vet experience for exotic animals and small mammals while working in a museum, paid
250 hours - shelter medicine for dogs and cats, volunteer

Animal Experience:
2880 hours - animal caretaker of exotics and small mammals in the same museum mentioned above, paid
200 hours - cat volunteer at a local animal shelter

Research:
1200 hours - undergraduate researcher + an unpaid internship for a summer at a medical school studying the genes that can help develop human asthma
1000 hours - undergraduate researcher at a vet school studying canine OSA, completed my senior thesis during this time

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Part of a molecular biology club designed to provide career, social, and educational opportunities for undergrad students in the major for all 4 years of undergrad. Must apply and interview for an acceptance into the club. Took up many leadership positions such as: event committee chair, big-little program founder and coordinator, summer undergrad research program coordinator, president
- Part of student government as an intern and then as a chief in command
- The judicial chair for my sorority
- Awarded multiple scholarships to attend my private high school

Non-Animal Employment (sorry don't remember the number of hours!):
- Dining hall server and then dining hall shift lead
- Reading mentor for underprivileged elementary school students
- Worked at Peet's Coffee
- Summer day camp counselor

LORs:
- 1 from a vet specializing in dogs and cats
- 1 from a vet in shelter medicine
- 1 from my manager from my animal experience job (the museum)
- 1 from my animal physiology professor

I wrote about the animal ambassadors I met during my time at the museum and how I learned just how important their role as animal ambassadors is to teach humans about the importance of maintaining our planet so that these animals can thrive in the wild, sharing our planet with these animals, and essentially just how to respect them. I also talked about how caring for these animal ambassadors and falling in love with all of them has made me want to pursue a career in zoo med, especially after seeing what happens when you don't have a zoo vet on staff when you really need one.

STOP HERE IF YOU WOULD LIKE.

TW: Abuse

Exceptional Circumstances:
I also did have an exceptional circumstances statement due to a history of child abuse (mostly mental, some physical) by my parents, which led me to separate myself from my family as a sophomore in undergrad. This made me suddenly financially responsible for myself, and I had to switch over to both working and studying full time. Due to my unfortunate history, I also had a history of mental health issues that carried on throughout my undergraduate years and were very apparent in my grades. I discussed how I have improved my mental health (I explained the steps I have taken and how I am successfully managing my mental health today), why I know I can 100% complete vet school successfully, and showed proof of that (i.e. my increase in GPA, my ability to work full time, study full time, and still take on an undergrad research project that turned into my senior thesis, my success in pursuing higher education classes, etc).

Don't be afraid to shoot me a DM if you have any questions! :) Hope this helps anybody applying with a low GPA or an exceptional circumstance (or anybody in general tbh)!
I know I’m late to this thread, but I’ve been rooting for you for the last few years and here you are, posting about your acceptance!!! 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 congratulations, you deserve all of this!!

*LOW GPA ALERT*

Very excited to be posting here!

22, Female, California, Traditional, first-time applicant
Applied: Western U (In-State), Ohio, Iowa, St. George’s, RVC, Oregon, Long Island, UPenn, Virginia-Maryland, Minnesota
Interview Invites: Ohio, Long Island, RVC, St. George’s
Waitlisted: Ohio
Accepted: RVC, LIU, St. George’s
Attending: LIU! 🦈 🩵

Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.34
Undergrad Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.03
Undergrad Last 45 GPA: 2.8

*Note about my GPA: For my first 2 1/2 years of undergrad I consistently had a very high gpa (between a 3.8 to 4.0 every quarter) but my dad passed away during my junior year (shortly before I applied to vet school) and I had two incredibly rough quarters - which tanked my overall, science, and last 45 GPAs. I made sure to talk about how this event affected me in my explanation statement so schools would understand why my GPA trajectory wasn’t so great.

GRE (Q/V/W): Didn’t take.

Degree(s): No bachelor’s degree.

Veterinary Experience:
2000 hours working as a VA at a full service small animal hospital
1800 hours working as a VA for a mobile wellness clinic
80 hours as a student/volunteer at a wildlife rehab facility and exotic animal hospital

Animal Experience:
800 hours as an animal keeper at a wildlife/exotic animal rehab and sanctuary

Research:

Non-Animal Employment:
800 hours Hospice volunteer

LORs:
Small animal veterinarian
Wildlife veterinarian
Professor/Animal Geneticist
Hospice Nursing Director
Manager/Owner of Wildlife Rescue

For my personal statement, I talked about how I never had one single defining moment that led me to pursue veterinary medicine. Rather, I struggled quite a lot to figure out what I wanted to do in life, but my life experiences overtime had built my confidence in pursuing a career as a veterinarian. For my essay questions, I focused a lot on my past involvements in community service and I talked about how I was interested in charity work and focused a lot on serving underserved communities.

Last edited:
Research:
Is this... supposed to say 9400?? Genuinely bewildered how you have so much experience (this + 4k vet hours) at 22 😵‍💫

Very amazing if you actually put in all those hours though!

Honestly surprised to be posting here and mostly posting for people who may feel like they are ordinary in their application.

23, female, Florida, traditional but took a year and a half gap year, first time applying

Applied: UF, NCSU, Mississippi
Interview Invites: Mississippi
Waiting to hear:none
Accepted: waitlisted then accepted Mississippi
Attending: Mississippi

Overall GPA: 3.76
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.74

GRE (Q/V/W):
x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
Never took it as it was not required

Degree(s):
Started in agribusiness then transferred and graduated with a bs in Animal Science
Veterinary Experience: In total a little over 3000 when I applied

At three different small animal hospitals
About 1500 hours at two different general practice small animal clinics in my area
20 hours at small gp clinic in georgia

Animal Experience:
I believe I was around 2000
Did fair project raising livestock during ffa which is where a lot of those hours come from.
I also am a partial owner of a small cattle operation which is where the other hours come from

Research:
None - and I was really scared this would be the reason I did not make it in

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Academic awards (deans, president list)
Small scholarships
Sorority member and officer during college
Active alumni in my old ffa chapter and put on events for the chapter

Non-Animal Employment: probably round 400 hours
Teacher assistant
Receptionist for the tutoring center at my school

LORs:
3 from Vets I have worked with
1 from my advisor in college
1 from my FFA advisor in high school (did this because she knows me the longest and also oversaw my events as an alumni member)

I wrote about how vet med was not on my radar in high school since I knew the hardships that came with the field. Talked about changing my major two years into my bachelors because of my passion for the vet field.
In my explanation I wrote about a semester when I performed poorly due to absences from being sick and in the hospital. I also used this space to write about how this helped me and taught me to work harder.
Also my boyfriend’s Aunt is an English AP Teacher and I had her proofread every single essay I submitted. (Which helped tremendously)
Do you remember what rank you were for the Mississippi waitlist ?