Florida schools application thread part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you all, we were instructed to start a new thread for the Florida applicants because of new policies on SDN which maintain that only 1000 posts can now be in a thread instead of the old 10000 post limit. This policy was instated to ensure that the server doesn't slow down since it has been shown that putting post caps at smaller numbers helps with server issues in other discussion boards.

So feel free to continue with the posts on this thread.

Moderator note: continued from here.

Members don't see this ad.

Lifetimedoc,

If you start posting in here I saw your last post on the other thread. If you don't get in this year, try and get into one of the SMP programs. BU, Drexel, USF, NJMS, Georgetown, Loyola, EVMS, etc.

They all have similar programs. so consider doing one of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lifetimedoc,

If you start posting in here I saw your last post on the other thread. If you don't get in this year, try and get into one of the SMP programs. BU, Drexel, USF, NJMS, Georgetown, Loyola, EVMS, etc.

They all have similar programs. so consider doing one of them.

Hey Lifetimedoc,

I feel bad bitch*n about my situation. I actually have 1 acceptance and 2 waitlists. I'm a jerk, considering an awesome guy/girl like you still hasn't gotten any interviews. I'm pulling for you!!

DrZeke formerly Jessy_erin

Hey Lifetimedoc,

I feel bad bitch*n about my situation. I actually have 1 acceptance and 2 waitlists. I'm a jerk, considering an awesome guy/girl like you still hasn't gotten any interviews. I'm pulling for you!!

DrZeke formerly Jessy_erin

Nahh, you aren't a jerk. I'm just spouting off my own fears and tribulations. Thanks ! :)

Nahh, you aren't a jerk. I'm just spouting off my own fears and tribulations. Thanks ! :)

Bumpity BUMP BUMP to the good 'ol Floridians!!!!!!!

P.S. Lifetimedoc, it may or may not be next year that you are start med school, but you'll make it. Just keep on doing what you gotta do.

You're sweet. Have you been talking to schools that have rejected you? I have phone appointments with everyone that has rejected me...I'm not sure why I've decided to torture myself like that, but I guess I'm hoping it will help for future endeavors and maybe for update letters for waitlists.

or if you want, call it an SMP. With regard to Guju's query at the end of thread 1. Awesome GPA and good EC's, but struggle on MCAT, may be one that would benefit from IMS --- but it is best to meet with advisors for each situation. As I said, due to the expense and "winner take all, loser go home forever" stakes --- you have to be very careful. I would assume awesome GPA means science major, heavy loads of quality coursework, etc. I would be curious about why the MCAT didnt correlate -- there could be several reasons from reading/comprehension or testing problem to one who learns the material to pass each individual test to get a great GPA, but not really learning the material. If you are going to spend another year, there may be better ways than the IMS/SMP to spend that year. Many factors would dictate a "best" route for each --- individually.

I just want to underscore that there are probably better first-step programs than an SMP for most. Generally I wouldnt recommend them to someone unless they have not been successful in getting into med school for a couple of cycles. After they have attempted to address a particular weakness but just couldnt get over the hump (most often the MCAT below 25 or so.....).

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the emphasis USF puts on various things....

I really don't have any interest in attending a medical school other than USF so I would like to become as good a candidate as possible....

I am a Junior at USF, I expect to have a high enough GPA to apply ED which is pretty much what I plan to do, I think and hope my MCAT score will be what it needs to be but I'm not testing until next year...

Anyway, I don't have amazing EC's...

I have two kids, a foster child, I have two jobs, one a crisis counselor at the crisis center of tampa bay and additionally I work for a physician who is faculty at USFCOM, I work for her personally not in a clinic setting but it is caring for a disabled child. I have about 9 months volunteer experience at a local women's center and I am a girl scout leader, i also volunteer a lot of my time with my daughters dance team and I home school my children. I go to school full time, summers as well...I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to NOT take classes over the summer or to try to cut back on activities that are non academic so that I may enhance my medical type ECs and I'm wondering if everything else I am involved in will be considered when my ECs are. I plan to shadow the doctor I work for at a clinic but as it is this semester with school, I work for her on the night of the clinic so I will have to wait until next semester when my schedule changes. Anyway, like I said... I was born here and want to be educated and practice medicine here so anything I can do to get closer to that, I'm open to.

Thanks for any opinions/advice anyone can give...

Thanks,
Allison

or if you want, call it an SMP. With regard to Guju's query at the end of thread 1. Awesome GPA and good EC's, but struggle on MCAT, may be one that would benefit from IMS --- but it is best to meet with advisors for each situation. As I said, due to the expense and "winner take all, loser go home forever" stakes --- you have to be very careful. I would assume awesome GPA means science major, heavy loads of quality coursework, etc. I would be curious about why the MCAT didnt correlate -- there could be several reasons from reading/comprehension or testing problem to one who learns the material to pass each individual test to get a great GPA, but not really learning the material. If you are going to spend another year, there may be better ways than the IMS/SMP to spend that year. Many factors would dictate a "best" route for each --- individually.

MCAT didn't correlate because their Verbal scores were extremely low due to English being a second language and in at least one case the person grew up in a country where English was not taught on any level and came here when they were in their teenage years. So they tend to be a slow reader and not have as good of an English vocabulary, but they had a GPA along the lines of what is expected for EDP and very good extracurriculars.

Their science scores weren't horrible, just the verbal that screwed them over. The other person was also a person who had a low Verbal score but decent subscores in the sciences.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the emphasis USF puts on various things....

I really don't have any interest in attending a medical school other than USF so I would like to become as good a candidate as possible....

I am a Junior at USF, I expect to have a high enough GPA to apply ED which is pretty much what I plan to do, I think and hope my MCAT score will be what it needs to be but I'm not testing until next year...

I have two kids, a foster child, I have two jobs, one a crisis counselor at the crisis center of tampa bay and additionally I work for a physician who is faculty at USFCOM, I work for her personally not in a clinic setting but it is caring for a disabled child. I have about 9 months volunteer experience at a local women's center and I am a girl scout leader, i also volunteer a lot of my time with my daughters dance team and I home school my children. I go to school full time, summers as well...I'm wondering if it's in my best interest to NOT take classes over the summer or to try to cut back on activities that are non academic so that I may enhance my medical type ECs and I'm wondering if everything else I am involved in will be considered when my ECs are. I plan to shadow the doctor I work for at a clinic but as it is this semester with school, I work for her on the night of the clinic so I will have to wait until next semester when my schedule changes. Anyway, like I said... I was born here and want to be educated and practice medicine here so anything I can do to get closer to that, I'm open to.

Thanks,
Allison

Well assuming you can get a good MCAT score, I'd say that your application is solid in my opinion. However, you will do more justice to yourself by making an appointment with REL, Dr. Specter, and/or Mrs. Jackson. Even Dr. Williams is good to talk to. But REL and Dr. Specter would be your first two lines of contact in that order. PM me and I'll give you info on how to contact them.

Gujudoc, I have a 3.2 UG, 4.0 from SMP, and a 29O. Ive been complete since mid-november, but have heard nothing. What do think my chances are for this year at USF? Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Gujudoc, I have a 3.2 UG, 4.0 from SMP, and a 29O. Ive been complete since mid-november, but have heard nothing. What do think my chances are for this year at USF? Thanks for the help

Which SMP program?

Its hard to say, but when my friend nterviewed last year it was one of the last interview invites for the season which at that time had been mid March. This year, REL has pointed out that interviews will go til the end of March.

Best advice would be to PM REL and ask him what he can tell you since he has most likely seen your file.

I forgot, I'm also in a class to be a peer educator and I took care of my great grandma for 2 years before she died, I feel that's relavent. anyway, maybe I shouldn't be so worried this early.

Thanks!
I did PM you.

Thanks,
Allison

It sounds to me like you do plenty. At first, I thought that maybe you were a troll because I couldn't believe that someone who does everything you do would really be concerned with EC's. But I think you are being honest.

You sound like an amazing person. I wouldn't worry to much about your EC's. The only thing would be to get some clinical experience because I think you might lack that a bit. You are an extremely busy person though...

Study your butt off for the MCAT. It is a very difficult test. I would take it early enough to at least be able to retake it and apply in a timely manner if you don't get the score you want the first time. Good luck :luck:

I forgot, I'm also in a class to be a peer educator and I took care of my great grandma for 2 years before she died, I feel that's relavent. anyway, maybe I shouldn't be so worried this early.

Thanks!
I did PM you.

I PMd you back.

BTW in response to your original question, the greater emphasis of USF beyond the numbers is for clinical and nonclinical volunteerism and shadowing. Research is always a plus as are other relevant experiences such as leadership in various ways, but volunteering and clinical experience are the two most important kinds of ECs to them as well as some shadowing.

Your experiences suggest leadership through being a peer educator and helping with the girl scout thing.

Experience wise, your experiences as a crisis counselor and volunteering with the women center will show your committment to be in a field where you're working to help others and show that you've learned what empathy is and that you understand the need for compassion and the psychological side of medicine. It will also establish that you've realized there are other ways of "helping people" that you have explored through being a counselor and in other jobs such as your job working with the disabled child and also your personal experiences with your grandmother, but you've seen that for the goals you have in mind this is the way to go. This is an extremely important point to make when you start writing your essays and all.

You've also shown maturity in being able to be able to care for sick people. But your actual volunteerism seems to be a bit weak if you go by adcom standards. Not that I wouldn't take you if I was on that adcom, cuz I definitely would. but i'm not an adcom member so its better to contact the people I gave you email and phone numbers for.

It sounds to me like you do plenty. At first, I thought that maybe you were a troll because I couldn't believe that someone who does everything you do would really be concerned with EC's. But I think you are being honest.

You sound like an amazing person. I wouldn't worry to much about your EC's. The only thing would be to get some clinical experience because I think you might lack that a bit. You are an extremely busy person though...

Study your butt off for the MCAT. It is a very difficult test. I would take it early enough to at least be able to retake it and apply in a timely manner if you don't get the score you want the first time. Good luck :luck:

That was funny...Thanks, though. I am really worried because I know you're right about clinical experience.... I am really counting on either sliding it in somewhere....I rally don't don't know how right now, though OR just accumulating (sp?) enough shadowing in the near future. I've though about doing like a CNA program or something but the time and with some programs the money, is a concern. also, I would probably have to take a little bit of a pay cut or work nights as a CNA...I already work until midnight and I'm not interested in working later or working more to have the same income.
Thanks for your thoughts, and your honesty lol :)

Allison

I graduated from the 1 year SMP at Barry.

I just PM him. Thanks for the advice, I probably would have been too scared to do it if you hadnt said to

I graduated from the 1 year SMP at Barry.

I just PM him. Thanks for the advice, I probably would have been too scared to do it if you hadnt said to

Hmm not sure how they look at Barry SMP program. I've heard its not as reputable as the other SMP programs when it comes to applying to MD schools. I've heard Barry is more reputable with the DO schools. But that's just what I've heard. I have no clue how it really is on this issue so you'll need to talk to him. However, you sure did well and your numbers don't look too horrible when you take into acct. the SMP. So I would think it is still possible.

Hi gujuDoc, I am going to make an appointment tomorrow to meet with an advisor regarding applying to the IMS program. I just hope my GPA is high enough to offset my MCAT. I am really worried because I really want to get into this program.

Hmm not sure how they look at Barry SMP program. I've heard its not as reputable as the other SMP programs when it comes to applying to MD schools. I've heard Barry is more reputable with the DO schools. But that's just what I've heard. I have no clue how it really is on this issue so you'll need to talk to him. However, you sure did well and your numbers don't look too horrible when you take into acct. the SMP. So I would think it is still possible.

It's because most of the students at Barry are in a part-time 2 year program that is not intensive, so it tends to be more popular with DO schools. Also, I'm not sure how highly those in the 1 year are looked upon due to the fact taht we take classes with podiatry students. Podiatry students are not considered to have the same academic program that a med student does. So, if I were recommending an SMP to someone, I'd tell them not to worry about money and apply somewhere WELL-KNOWN, where you could take classes with medical students at an allopathic medical school.

However, I don't think you 4.0 at Barry is hurting you ----> Pipedream. The process is a crapshoot. We were in class for an entire year, and you are more than qualified to attend medical school. Your PS was great too. The only thing I can think of are EC's?? Again, the 29O might be hurting a bit :(. Good that you are talking to REL tho, he can probably help you out.

It's because most of the students at Barry are in a part-time 2 year program that is not intensive, so it tends to be more popular with DO schools. Also, I'm not sure how highly those in the 1 year are looked upon due to the fact taht we take classes with podiatry students. Podiatry students are not considered to have the same academic program that a med student does. So, if I were recommending an SMP to someone, I'd tell them not to worry about money and apply somewhere WELL-KNOWN, where you could take classes with medical students at an allopathic medical school.

However, I don't think you 4.0 at Barry is hurting you ----> Pipedream. The process is a crapshoot. We were in class for an entire year, and you are more than qualified to attend medical school. Your PS was great too. The only thing I can think of are EC's?? Again, the 29O might be hurting a bit :(. Good that you are talking to REL tho, he can probably help you out.

Thanks for the explanation and clarification. Much appreciated. :D

Also, I agree about applying to one of the more known programs or at least the USF program if you are going to stay in state for an SMP. The USF program in a way is actually good even though it hasn't been well established yet. Its good because it allows you to pretty much take every single course the MS I's take except the clinical courses. It also gives you an option to do one of two other tracks that allow you to get something out of it if you don't look like you are going to make it into med school.

Thanks for the explanation and clarification. Much appreciated. :D

Also, I agree about applying to one of the more known programs or at least the USF program if you are going to stay in state for an SMP. The USF program in a way is actually good even though it hasn't been well established yet. Its good because it allows you to pretty much take every single course the MS I's take except the clinical courses. It also gives you an option to do one of two other tracks that allow you to get something out of it if you don't look like you are going to make it into med school.
I didn't intend to bash Barry, I just think that we should be as informative as possible on this thread for our fellow Floridians. I chose it, because I was applying extremely late to SMPs and needed to find one that was easier to get into AND it was the cheapest one that I had heard of at that time. I can certainly say that Barry helped me get accepted to medical school, but I think many of my classmates are still waiting for good news. Aside from GPA, I think that there is a whole package element that Barry definitely didn't help me with. From all the discussions I've had with people and from what I've read on SDN it appears that other programs have higher success rates with allopathic schools.

I think that people have to get used to the idea that sometims when you want something bad enough you might have to leave the state. I agree that USF's program sounds good, but it being not as well known as certain others, it may be better to go elsewhere. I also think that USF's program is probably great if you really want to go to USF, but if you want to see where your chances are everywhere, then I would say that a better known program (across the country) might be more successful.

I didn't intend to bash Barry, I just think that we should be as informative as possible on this thread for our fellow Floridians. I chose it, because I was applying extremely late to SMPs and needed to find one that was easier to get into AND it was the cheapest one that I had heard of at that time. I can certainly say that Barry helped me get accepted to medical school, but I think many of my classmates are still waiting for good news. Aside from GPA, I think that there is a whole package element that Barry definitely didn't help me with. From all the discussions I've had with people and from what I've read on SDN it appears that other programs have higher success rates with allopathic schools.

I think that people have to get used to the idea that sometims when you want something bad enough you might have to leave the state. I agree that USF's program sounds good, but it being not as well known as certain others, it may be better to go elsewhere. I also think that USF's program is probably great if you really want to go to USF, but if you want to see where your chances are everywhere, then I would say that a better known program (across the country) might be more successful.

Yeah definitely agreed with this post. The three most well known programs I know of are probably Georgetown SMP, Boston U MAMS, or Drexel IMS.

I believe USF has taken many of their ideas from Drexel and Gtown because their current dean is the former dean of Drexel's medical school and so he has brought many of Drexel's ideas over to USF to better USF. I think USF's program will be established by the time we have children and are doctors and our children are going to college.

But that will take a while for it to gain reputation.

Besides it newness the other downfall to USF's program is that it is not well known. They admitted at the information session that they have purposely not advertised the existence of this program nationwide because they don't want too big of an applicant pool just yet. Last year, they said they had 70 applicants and 15 got in from that but they don't want it to get to the point of being like 1000+ applicants just yet though it is open to out of state students to apply and get in the program without preference given to Fl. residents unlike the med school apps process.

I didn't mean to bash Barry, just not that I'd recommend it to someone if they could get into Gtown's program or BU's program or some of the others I've listed in the past like EVMS, Drexel, NJMS, or USF.

Loyola also has a decent program as do a couple other schools.

My recommendation to people are that if you think there's a good chance you might not get into med school this year and need a boost, then apply to these kind of programs as back up from now before the deadline passes so you have a back up while you are waiting to hear from schools. If you end up hearing in the meanwhile you can always pull your application out though you might not get a refund for your app, but at least if you don't get in you'll have a back up. That's what my friend did the second time he applied. I told him to apply to Gtown's program simultaneously and he got in that because he applied early and got things in. Meanwhile, he didn't get in anywhere during his second app so that was a good back up. During his final round of applying he got into USF after doing the SMP program.

USF's current first year class actually has at least 8 people that I know of who did some sort of SMP. 5 at USF and 3 at Georgetown. There are probably a few other people who've done postbacs. So the good news is these sort of programs do help.

PS, not to postpad but sorry that post is so long above ^^^.

I didn't mean to bash Barry, just not that I'd recommend it to someone if they could get into Gtown's program or BU's program or some of the others I've listed in the past like EVMS, Drexel, NJMS, or USF.

You aren't bashing it, you are telling the truth. People need to know what they are getting into before they shell out 25K+ for a post-bacc/SMP. Anyways, I know a girl in the first year class at USF from Barry, so people do get in :)... Just not sure what the success rate is...

In terms of SMP programs, I highly recommend that any of you looking for a GPA boost or some further background ought to go over to the post-baccaleureate forum and read the FAQ. It's really helpful in deciding what is right for you and it's always good to contact the directors of each program so you can know when to apply and whether or not your app is competitive. A lot of med schools and even post-bacc programs have people that you can talk to regarding how to improve you app. I didn't realize this initally, as I did my entire undergraduate in Canada, but this can be really helpful. And...who would of thought...when wanting to find out if you have what they are looking for, all you have to do is ask at the end of interview season and most schools will make a phone appointment with you...

i just thought if i posted in the FL thread part 2 it might give me a little luck with my 2 FL schools that i'm still waiting to hear from!

**feeling lucky**

I'm just trying to help us get up to 1000 posts :)

GOOD LUCK SCENTIMINT

Hey DrZeke,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you mentioned in a previous post that you are accepted to UM-Boca, but really want UM-Miami. I also noticed that you live in North Miami. If you get in to UM-Miami are you planning to commute from North Miami? Do you think it will be doable? I am facing a similar commute so just curious.

Thanks.

Also I was wondering if anyone else has heard from UF....I am still awaiting an interview. I keep getting the update email from Robyn. Does anyone know when the last invites go out for interviews?

Hey DrZeke,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you mentioned in a previous post that you are accepted to UM-Boca, but really want UM-Miami. I also noticed that you live in North Miami. If you get in to UM-Miami are you planning to commute from North Miami? Do you think it will be doable? I am facing a similar commute so just curious.

Thanks.
Well, one of the girls that I met on my interview day actually lives in my neighbourhood and does commute from there to UM -miami everyday. She is, however, a very early riser and beats traffic.

I was hoping since I'm going to be spending so much money in med school that I would just suck it up and pay to live 10-15 minutes from campus. I already am paying a lot for where I live and it's actually a deal (200-300 less than my neighbours). I'm not into waking up at o'dark thirty so I can beat traffic and I commuted all through undergrad about 30-45 mins each way and I find that life is a lot easier and more comfortable when you don't have to commute. It just adds stress to the situation in my opinion. I rather spend an extra 100-200 in rent to live closer than to worry about it in the long run. Really it all equals out when you think about gas bills and time = money.

Wherever I end up, I think I'll just get a place that's close enough for me to wake up about 30-40 minutes before class :)

REL, I'm interested in hearing your answer to another question posed in the old thread about a post-bacc GPA vs. undergrad GPA. I have a 2.8 UG, but a 3.7 post-bacc with 48 credits. My overall UG GPA is only somewhere around a 3.0 now and my science GPA is slightly better. But how much emphasis is placed on post-bacc? I'm taking the MCAT in April or May and I'm shooting for a high score but that's what everyone says. I won't know till then if I get it. Assuming I get a decent score, how much emphasis is given to my post-bacc taken years after I graduated college?

REL, I'm interested in hearing your answer to another question posed in the old thread about a post-bacc GPA vs. undergrad GPA. I have a 2.8 UG, but a 3.7 post-bacc with 48 credits. My overall UG GPA is only somewhere around a 3.0 now and my science GPA is slightly better. But how much emphasis is placed on post-bacc? I'm taking the MCAT in April or May and I'm shooting for a high score but that's what everyone says. I won't know till then if I get it. Assuming I get a decent score, how much emphasis is given to my post-bacc taken years after I graduated college?

Forgive my oversight in not responding. Generally your situation would be treated like two chapters of a book. The first chapter is always there, but the second chapter is markedly better. Your overall GPA wouldnt move much, but seeing additional full-time semesters of basic science coursework with much better outcomes often is enough to get an interview if all else is on track. You are right to get a strong MCAT score to support the turnaround to demonstrate the turn around in knowledge base.

MCAT didn't correlate because their Verbal scores were extremely low due to English being a second language and in at least one case the person grew up in a country where English was not taught on any level and came here when they were in their teenage years. So they tend to be a slow reader and not have as good of an English vocabulary, but they had a GPA along the lines of what is expected for EDP and very good extracurriculars.

Their science scores weren't horrible, just the verbal that screwed them over. The other person was also a person who had a low Verbal score but decent subscores in the sciences.

Some non-native English speakers from families who have recently arrived in the US have a daunting task with regard to getting into med school. The MCAT is important for several things: knowledge base, reading skills, and test-taking. The first is the least difficult for many. With the volume of material and the number of standardized tests in med school curriculum an admissions committee must be sure that the one they put in every seat will be able to finish the program. We dont want any applicant to spin, crash, and burn in med school for our sake and theirs -- too much money and time spent by both parties to have that happen. Off the top I would suggest that non-native speakers spend lots of time reading English story books etc to hone their skills and then take a speed reading/comp test just to see where they are. Many native English speakers leave a lot of points on the table on the MCAT because they dont finish the subsections due to poor reading skills. Getting some test-taking skills also may provide a point or two. Often a 7 on the MCAT in VR is acceptable if the sciences are strong and verbal comms at at the interview are preceived to be good. I hope that this answers.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can get some advice. I was accepted to UF and Boston University, and I believe it is between these two schools, but I can't decide. UF is an excellent school in my opinion, but I have been here for 6 years already and would like to see something new. However, UF has great board scores and low tuition. BU has a better clinical experience (i'm told, I obviously can't know), potentially equal first 2 years (?), but is very expensive. It ranks higher as well (but I am not placing any emphasis on this to make a choice). How many of you would pursue a school for the experience despite its cost and potential for not being any better than a lower cost school like UF. Thanks for any advice and help you can offer! and despite this dilemma... GO GATORS!

j

jdawt, first off, congrats on being accepted to both of those schools! I can speak a little bit based on my personal experience since I was at BU for undergrad. BU med is incredibly expensive, and I have several friends who were already accepted to BU through a seven-year program or an early acceptance guarantee but decided not to attend BU med b/c of the cost and the relatively even playing field of the education there as compared to their state medical schools.

I don't know much about UF, but I would guess that the medical education at UF and BU are probably pretty comparable. I have another friend who went to UF for her MD, loved it, and is now doing very well as a radiation oncology resident at UMich.

good luck with your decision, and if you want any more details/information about Boston and BU in general, PM me.

jdawt, first off, congrats on being accepted to both of those schools! I can speak a little bit based on some insider knowledge of BU med since I was at BU for undergrad. BU med is incredibly expensive, and I have several friends who were already accepted to BU through a seven-year program or an early acceptance guarantee but decided not to attend BU med b/c of the cost and the relatively even playing field of the education there as compared to their state medical schools.

I don't know much about UF, but I would guess that the medical education at UF and BU are probably pretty comparable. I have another friend who went to UF for her MD, loved it, and is now doing very well as a radiation oncology resident at UMich.

good luck with your decision, and if you want any more details/information about Boston and BU in general, PM me.

jdawt,

So I have been accepted to UF and I interviewed at BU but my final decision was deferred until March. I am leaning much more towards UF (even before BU deferred a decision) because I felt it was the better school when I interviewed there. I think everybody is different and you should go by how you felt when you interviewed and what you thought of the school. Granted, I haven't been at UF for the past 6 years so that may contribute to some of the decision. Don't go by rankings at all. I feel that BU, while having a great ranking, isn't high enough to get you into any residency just by its name. Assuming you are in state, I think the difference in cost after you factor in tuition and living expenses would be around 30k per year. That is 120k more in debt once you graduate. That is a huge amount. BU probably does have better clinical experience because it is in a big city but it is not like you won't get everything you need at UF. Shands is good and is ranked in lots of specialties so its not a complete landslide for BU. As for the first two years of med school, UF may actually have the edge on BU going just by board scores (which you really shouldn't do but what else is there to go by).

All in all, unless you really loved BU and you weren't so keen on UF, I don't think it is worth the extra money. Of course everything changes if they give you some sort of scholarship. That is just my opinion.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can get some advice. I was accepted to UF and Boston University, and I believe it is between these two schools, but I can't decide. UF is an excellent school in my opinion, but I have been here for 6 years already and would like to see something new. However, UF has great board scores and low tuition. BU has a better clinical experience (i'm told, I obviously can't know), potentially equal first 2 years (?), but is very expensive. It ranks higher as well (but I am not placing any emphasis on this to make a choice). How many of you would pursue a school for the experience despite its cost and potential for not being any better than a lower cost school like UF. Thanks for any advice and help you can offer! and despite this dilemma... GO GATORS!

j

jdawt:
I feel your pain. I have been at UF for both undergrad and graduate school and if I went to medical school in Gainesville , It will have been the city I have lived in the longest! I said I never wanted to leave until we won a championship and now we have won 2 while I was here. Ive been to Boston and while I cannot speak about the school, the city is incredible and is a great place to live (although expensive). Both schools are great, BU has better research and a slightly better recognition nationally. Books are the same wherever you go but I think the atmosphere of Boston combined with the clinical experience of a large city outweighs the benefit of storming University Ave one more to toss toilet paper in the trees of the Swamp Restaurant.

Go where you will be most comfortable and never worry about the money. Good Luck

guju would yoube applying to the IMS program.. I am oos and considering it

Forgive my oversight in not responding. Generally your situation would be treated like two chapters of a book. The first chapter is always there, but the second chapter is markedly better. Your overall GPA wouldnt move much, but seeing additional full-time semesters of basic science coursework with much better outcomes often is enough to get an interview if all else is on track. You are right to get a strong MCAT score to support the turnaround to demonstrate the turn around in knowledge base.

Thanks! That's good to know!

Some non-native English speakers from families who have recently arrived in the US have a daunting task with regard to getting into med school. The MCAT is important for several things: knowledge base, reading skills, and test-taking. The first is the least difficult for many. With the volume of material and the number of standardized tests in med school curriculum an admissions committee must be sure that the one they put in every seat will be able to finish the program. We dont want any applicant to spin, crash, and burn in med school for our sake and theirs -- too much money and time spent by both parties to have that happen. Off the top I would suggest that non-native speakers spend lots of time reading English story books etc to hone their skills and then take a speed reading/comp test just to see where they are. Many native English speakers leave a lot of points on the table on the MCAT because they dont finish the subsections due to poor reading skills. Getting some test-taking skills also may provide a point or two. Often a 7 on the MCAT in VR is acceptable if the sciences are strong and verbal comms at at the interview are preceived to be good. I hope that this answers.

Thanks for the response. Its always nice to hear from those on the adcoms with some experience and understanding on this issue.

Of the two particular scenarios I was thinking of, I know at least one of them is doing much better then she did her first time on the MCAT so hopefully it will translate out test day.

If you don't get in after applying the first time, then consider doing one of the SMP programs. If you could then do one of the more competitive well known ones. Are you a Florida resident or were you posing your question to REL just in terms of wanting an adcoms advice? Just curious.

P.S. To the person who asked me about the IMS thing and being out of state. USF accepts out of state applicants but it will require a lot of money. So don't be discouraged from applying to the IMS program if you are OOS. They just haven't advertised it much yet because they didn't want too many applications until they get more established.

I was OOS and am in the class of 2009. A lot of money-- gujudoc is not kidding. My first year of med school cost 72K but now I am instate (so are the other students who were out of state).

I was OOS and am in the class of 2009. A lot of money-- gujudoc is not kidding. My first year of med school cost 72K but now I am instate (so are the other students who were out of state).

:eek: :eek: :eek: :wow: :wow:

That's almost like a little under 3/4 the debt of a Fl. resident graduating from one of the Fl. schools, and all in your first year!!!

Out of curiousity, what made you choose USF over some cheaper schools closer to where you are from?

If you don't get in after applying the first time, then consider doing one of the SMP programs. If you could then do one of the more competitive well known ones. Are you a Florida resident or were you posing your question to REL just in terms of wanting an adcoms advice? Just curious.

I'm technically still a resident of Kentucky, but I did my post-bacc in Florida while living with my aunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.