Top 10 Clinical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suicide_Stat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to know what the top 10 clinical schools are in your opinion. If you have reasons why, please tell.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

Members don't see this ad.

I would just like to know what the top 10 clinical schools are in your opinion. If you have reasons why, please tell.

"Knowledge is food for thought so I wisely swallow."

This is just me but I would have to go with
Temple, NYU, and UoP.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just me but I would have to go with
Temple, NYU, and UoP.

I'd have to agree with UoP, even the dean at Arizona was talking about how students get into the clinic during the first week. I'd have to add ASDOH as one of the top, but I only know a few schools. Am I wrong?

From what I've heard, Creighton is definitely up there. One grad told me his classmate did endo on 90 canals!

Temple students do over 144,000 procedures a year. Hard to beat that.

Well I am not good at math but I think 300,000 annual patient visits at NYU beats that but I will get a second opinion from my accountant.

Well I am not good at math but I think 300,000 annual patient visits at NYU beats that but I will get a second opinion from my accountant.

Twice the students. Twice the patients.

Fuji - have you ever thought about a job in the accounting profession?

I thought Michigan was more of a research school?

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV should probably be in there too, there's no grad programs save an ortho residency and if I remember correctly you start assisting in the clinic as a D1

Oh and Pacific :)

UW, UoP, UMichigan, Tufts

Not only twice the patients, but the residency programs are a lot larger too.

Not sure UMich is in the top ten for clinical good school though for sure but comparing it to other schools I've seen Umich probably doesn't clear the top ten in clinical

Based on the schools that I interviewed at:
Case - because you start working on real patients the first semester of your first year (doing sealants) and just continue from there.
Temple - because of the sheer number of procedures that you are required to do in order to graduate. That was their primary "selling point" in the interview, was the emphasis placed on producing great clinicians.

A couple of you said that UoP would be a top clinical school. Wouldn't the fact that you're only there for 3 years cut out a lot of clinical time?

Indiana, ASDOH and Pacific are good clinical schools IMHO.

UMich is definitely a research-oriented dental school.

Tufts, I think, is more of a didactic dental school.

A couple of you said that UoP would be a top clinical school. Wouldn't the fact that you're only there for 3 years cut out a lot of clinical time?

Take a look at their curriculum and you'll see they don't cut out anything, they just cram 4 years into 3 by cutting out breaks and having night clinics. The students are actually in the clinic for MORE hours then the national average.

Also they start in the clinic second year, giving students 2 years in the clinic, just like every other school.

West Coast - UW, UOP, OHSU
North East - Tufts, NYU, Temple
by reputation, but the school you get into is the best clinical school!:D

BUT, Columbia Is the best.................JK no way in H*LL a top clinical school.

michigan...we are in clinics within the first month of d1 year...plus we have a great patient pool...

ohh yeah and we still are number one in research too

UOP prides itself for being ranked one of the highest in how may hours the students spend in clinic. So even though it is a 3 year program, they still get about the same if not more clinical time as at a 4 year school.

michigan...we are in clinics within the first month of d1 year..

:eek: ...doing what precisely? in the first month of d1, i could barely know where tooth number 12 is....:eek:

Also they start in the clinic second year, giving students 2 years in the clinic, just like every other school.

Aren't more and more schools emphasizing clinical work in their second year?

Aren't more and more schools emphasizing clinical work in their second year?

Even so it's still above the national average, and at Pacific you're done a year earlier. By the time our "4th year" of school is over (Be it in private practice or a residency) we'll have more clinical experience then you'll get at any other school in the nation :laugh:

I think it's all about being the class of 2010. It's got a sweet ring to it. I wouldn't want to go there just because I heard all the students smell really bad. This is what I heard from many dental school deans armorshell so watch out young man.

I think it's all about being the class of 2010. It's got a sweet ring to it. I wouldn't want to go there just because I heard all the students smell really bad. This is what I heard from many dental school deans armorshell so watch out young man.

Well San Francisco is full of hippies...

:eek: ...doing what precisely? in the first month of d1, i could barely know where tooth number 12 is....:eek:

yeah thats rite...most of us dont know what buccal means the first week of school...but when u actually see what you are learning, and are actually assisting, asking questions about patient problems, and treatment plans...you def. learn through practice

the first time i went up...i clicked the x-ray button...yeah it doesnt seem like a big deal until u actually do something in the first month that alot of other schools dont expose their students to within the first year or two!

i also forgot about the amazing patient interaction. not only do you learn about dentistry you learn the skill of talking to and dealing with patients. whether they are anxious, scared, happy, or delighted to see the dental student :cool:

definitely bringing back this bad boy...lots of good points made in this thread...I read one response that said UDM is good clinically....true?..if you can't tell by my posts all over SDN..i'm really trying to find this out from people who might now...i've been trying to get direct info from the school but I havent gotten much of a response, and their website only goes so far...I'm trying to compare it clincally to NYU

I am surprised Marquette hasn't been mentioned.

the dentist i shadowed graduated from Marquette TWO years AFTER his brother from VCU and he told me he was a better clinician out of dental school, they both agreed.

My top five from interviews:

Temple (I'm biased)
Marquette
Indiana
UoP
Brian Hahn School of Dentistry

Creighton is in Omaha and Temples class size outnumbers the cities population, so that is difficult to swallow...the other schools...no clue.

What, in your opinion, makes a "good clinical" school? Is it purely time and experience in the clinic? Or is there actually better clinical instruction in these schools?

If its just experience, then shouldn't these school be ranked purely on number of crowns seated, number of RCTs performed, surfaces of composite/amalgam surfaces restored, etc.? Can the average number of each procedure performed at a given school be found anywhere?

West Coast - UW, UOP, OHSU
North East - Tufts, NYU, Temple
by reputation, but the school you get into is the best clinical school!:D

BUT, Columbia Is the best.................JK no way in H*LL a top clinical school.

Ha, guess that means Louisville is the best, but I already knew that, cause that's where I am going. If I had to choose a number two I'd say UoP and UW going off reputation. East cost has gotta be NYU or maybe Maryland. Their clinincs and the stuff thay have to teach with makes up for the stress they put on research.

So would anyone say you can lump UDM into this category? I've been hearing the fact that b/c the school itself is in a pretty urban area you get the chance to see all kinds of things...schools like NYU (my other choice besides UDM), will give you a great chance if you make the most of it...basically meaning you will get what you put in given the fact that it is such a big school

From what I've heard, Creighton is definitely up there. One grad told me his classmate did endo on 90 canals!

Don't know about that...my parent's dentist refers all molar endo cause he didn't get experience at Creighton.

Don't know about that...my parent's dentist refers all molar endo cause he didn't get experience at Creighton.

Really? Maybe it's because he doesn't like doing molar endo. Many dentists don't. I would assume if this dentist didn't get sufficient experience in molar endo during dental school (and wanted to do it), he would take a CE course.

Single canals are quick, easy money and this is why many GPs will do these and refer molars.

Not learning/doing something in dental school doesn't stop many dentists from doing it in their practices. Dental practice today is very different from 20 years ago. Dentists now in their 50s had to learn new techniques through CE courses in order to stay current. The same will be true for our generation of dentists. Look at dental implants. There are many dentists who got no experience in placing or planning these restorations in dental school, however many dentists restore implants.

Take a look at their curriculum and you'll see they don't cut out anything, they just cram 4 years into 3 by cutting out breaks and having night clinics. The students are actually in the clinic for MORE hours then the national average.

Cutting out breaks and night clinics??? Thats just stupid....all for getting done one year earlier?? whoopeee....it means nothing in the long run except for more sanity and personal time for the people going 4 years

michigan...we are in clinics within the first month of d1 year...plus we have a great patient pool...

ohh yeah and we still are number one in research too

You dont' have the clinical opportunities compared to UDM....don't even try. Patient pool in Ann Arbor vs. Downtown Detroit....hmmm no contest

Cutting out breaks and night clinics??? Thats just stupid....all for getting done one year earlier?? whoopeee....it means nothing in the long run except for more sanity and personal time for the people going 4 years

I could just as easily say it's "stupid" to waste an entire year of your life in school when you could be done in three.

See, I just called you stupid based on my subjective view of the situation. Wheeee, opinions are fun!

I could just as easily say it's "stupid" to waste an entire year of your life in school when you could be done in three.

See, I just called you stupid based on my subjective view of the situation. Wheeee, opinions are fun!
This pretty well identifies everything wrong with what this thread has become. Closing.

Temple students do over 144,000 procedures a year. Hard to beat that.

I dont think thats hard to beat. I've been to temple and I interveiwed at 6 other schools who said the same thing as brian (dude at temple) said. Blah blah we are the best clinical school blah blah. My observation (which is limitied to only 7 schools has let me to believe that most schools are pretty darn close to keeping u busy. What makes schools different is that if the school is in some really run down area..expect no shows...and same day appointments. I liked temple, but I woulnt say that it out shines very many school when it comes to clinical.

I know this is kinda old, but what about UIC, folks?

You can do as much or as little endo (at least 11 canals) as you want here, its up to the student if he wants to learn it or not.

I dont think thats hard to beat. I've been to temple and I interveiwed at 6 other schools who said the same thing as brian (dude at temple) said. Blah blah we are the best clinical school blah blah. My observation (which is limitied to only 7 schools has let me to believe that most schools are pretty darn close to keeping u busy. What makes schools different is that if the school is in some really run down area..expect no shows...and same day appointments. I liked temple, but I woulnt say that it out shines very many school when it comes to clinical.

The honest answer is that you will get out of any clinic what you put into it. You can go to a great clinical school and still suck when you graduate if you don't take advantage of what opportunities are given to you. You can go to a crappy clinical school and graduate a great clinician if you work hard.

Also, you are going to get cancellations at any school you go to, because any school you go to, your patients are lesser income patients.

Now, I know other schools tell you certain things, but you will have the opportunity to see a lot more patients and get more hands on experience at Temple than pretty much anywhere (in my opinion the best clinical schools are Temple and Arizona, everyone else is in a lower class). You are required to do 120 surgical extractions at Temple. No other school comes even close to that. None. That is just what is required to do to graduate, not to excel.

So, if you are looking for the school that will give you the best chance to graduate ready to practice, Temple is by far the way to go.

As a DS1 at San Antonio we have different rotations, i.e. radiology, physical evaluation, and general practice group. We are assigned to different general practice groups on Day 1, and we get to go into the 3rd/4th year clinics and assist. On our radiology rotations we learn how to take x-rays on "Dexter" in the radiology lab. And in phyical evaluation we learn how to take patient history, we learn how to chart, and give a proper extraoral and intraoral exam. Today I got to do my first head and neck exam... palpating structures, examining anatomical landmarks in the mouth... just to get familiar with the technique and instruments, as well as proper infection control procedures, (wrapping the room, wearing the gowns, gloves, masks, eyewear). Even though it was only on one of my classmates today, it is still a great experience to be doing clinically related activities. I also understand that we get to do a sealant program with local elementary school students next semester. And in dental anatomy we have already been able to use the handpieces, and we have been working with composite on certain assignments... not doing actual restorations, but more for just getting used to using different materials and instruments. I am not sure what the requirements are for graduation, but with the things we are being introduced to as DS1s, I would put San Antonio on the list somewhere.

its fun to discuss to get your mind off of school, but in the end it doesn't really matter. Just b/c you go to a "good clinical school" doesn't mean you are going to be a "good clinical dentist"... and if you go to a school that doesn't get in the clinic until late, that doesn't mean you couldn't be the best graduating clinician in the country. all that matters is that you get in and graduate

As a DS1 at San Antonio we have different rotations, i.e. radiology, physical evaluation, and general practice group. We are assigned to different general practice groups on Day 1, and we get to go into the 3rd/4th year clinics and assist. On our radiology rotations we learn how to take x-rays on "Dexter" in the radiology lab. And in phyical evaluation we learn how to take patient history, we learn how to chart, and give a proper extraoral and intraoral exam. Today I got to do my first head and neck exam... palpating structures, examining anatomical landmarks in the mouth... just to get familiar with the technique and instruments, as well as proper infection control procedures, (wrapping the room, wearing the gowns, gloves, masks, eyewear). Even though it was only on one of my classmates today, it is still a great experience to be doing clinically related activities. I also understand that we get to do a sealant program with local elementary school students next semester. And in dental anatomy we have already been able to use the handpieces, and we have been working with composite on certain assignments... not doing actual restorations, but more for just getting used to using different materials and instruments. I am not sure what the requirements are for graduation, but with the things we are being introduced to as DS1s, I would put San Antonio on the list somewhere.

You LITERALLY just described USC's first semester and you're at UT. That was probably the strangest feeling I've ever had.

Anyways, I would put USC up as one of the best clinical schools. Hell, it's so tough you can't get on time... Thank god things are changing around here!