Disadvantaged Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelucy

This is Lucy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am clicking the disadvantaged box for economic reasons on the AMCAS application. I have been approved by FAP to have 12 applications paid for. However, there are minimal instructions on what to write in the essay on the application:

Do you believe you have faced hardships from birth to the present that interfered with your educational pursuits? If yes briefly explain on a separate sheet of paper? (1325 characters)

Am I suppose to list why my family is poor (sick mom, dad is a custodian, etc.) and how I had no help with paying for anything after age 16 or do I focus more on what this has taught me? There doesn't seem to be a lot of characters to go into detail.

Anyone who has written this essay before (and hopefully has been accepted) and has some insight is greatly appreciated. :D Anyone else who has some ideas are welcomed to share...... I am struggling with this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this should be biographical and brief. Your mother is sick since 19__ and unable to work, your father is a custodian whose earnings have had to stretch to cover a family of #. You began working at age # to earn money to help cover expenses (household and/or personal). You need not use all the characters allowed.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. :)