Disadvantaged Essay

Started by ilovelucy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ilovelucy

This is Lucy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am clicking the disadvantaged box for economic reasons on the AMCAS application. I have been approved by FAP to have 12 applications paid for. However, there are minimal instructions on what to write in the essay on the application:


Do you believe you have faced hardships from birth to the present that interfered with your educational pursuits? If yes briefly explain on a separate sheet of paper? (1325 characters)

Am I suppose to list why my family is poor (sick mom, dad is a custodian, etc.) and how I had no help with paying for anything after age 16 or do I focus more on what this has taught me? There doesn't seem to be a lot of characters to go into detail.

Anyone who has written this essay before (and hopefully has been accepted) and has some insight is greatly appreciated. 😀 Anyone else who has some ideas are welcomed to share...... I am struggling with this one.
 
Yes, this should be biographical and brief. Your mother is sick since 19__ and unable to work, your father is a custodian whose earnings have had to stretch to cover a family of #. You began working at age # to earn money to help cover expenses (household and/or personal). You need not use all the characters allowed.