**List of PS readers for AMCAS 08**- old thread, search for current year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick_carraway

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post a comment if you're willing to read personal statements for AMCAS 2008.

Try to leave advice/suggestions at the Personal Statement Guide to keep this thread from getting bloated.

Here's the complete list as of 8:12 PM, 9/4/07.

Pls do not contact anyone who appears elsewhere in this thread but is not found in the list below.

====

Personal Statement Readers '08

Cirrus83
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
ndteej - better at grammatical tips
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
- abfriedman @ gmail.com - Applying this year
Depakote - Temporarily (possibly permanently) unavailable
pcguy2 - PM please. Have been doing for this for 2 application cycles. Class of 2011
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
- editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest
lilnoelle (Unavailable for now)
Astrithir
- applied and accepted last cycle, PMs please.
silversideslide - class of 2011, please pm me.
etsuprinthead - i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt.
lina123321 - PM me, available until end of June
omegaxx (class of 2011) - PMs please. Available after May 14. Second major in English. Canuck.
symphony101 - I've written many grants, PM please
SpiresAAC - MSSM class of 2011, American Studies major, English minor, MPH, post bacc...PM me
PepperMD - Semi-nontrad, Literature, Science, and the Arts, Psychology double major, English Minor. Interdisciplinary perspectives and unified themes my specialty!
EternalRage - applied and accepted last cycle, PM me, I'll tear you a new one. Unavailable.
Think Big - class of 2011, PM me
ginkneephur - PM me, Available during the summer.
ohlala - PM me and I'll send you my email address.
bhattnea - Class of 2011 Pm me.
Cubbbie - Non-trad, non-science person ... I sent mine around here last year and it was a huge help, so I'm returning the favor.
Homer Simpson - Class of 2011. PM me your PS and specific questions if you have any, but I'll only be able to read a few before heading off for vacation.
gujudoc - not yet applied though I've written a personal statement for a masters program. However, I've had countless experience reviewing personal statements for people last year on SDN and quite a few this year and have a pretty good grip on personal statement tips and what not.
Stversko - Bio Major, Great gramatical skills. PM me if you would like me to edit your grammar.
paki20 - PM me. majored in political science, peer review editor for journal
Geogil - PM me. French, History major, nontrad.. PM me before july. On vacation until 7/25.
aspiring med - PM me. psychology major, kind of non trad. a decent writer
epigastric - Completed post-bacc, low GPA, now class of 2011, edit my PI's manuscripts. PM me.
Caduceusdude - I completed my double degree in English and Biochemistry at Stanford University. Currently, I am doing my masters in English (Stanford). I would love to critique ur personal statement! My e-mail is caduceus1111(at)yahoo.com
javaduke95 - Rising MS1. Applied for MSTPs and got some offers. Also no superpowers but am willing to help. Available throughout the summer. PM works well.
spospo - accepted this past cycle, PM me and i will give you my email, great at grammar, creating stronger phrases etc etc, sometime i go a little overboard, feel free to PM letting me know you need help.
caristra - accepted MSTP this year, so priority goes to MD/PHD applicants but I'll do regular MD ones too. My essay got several positive comments this year from interviewers. Minored in english and have been doing this for my campus premeds for a while. PM with an e-mail address so I can use track changes in word. Spelling not my strong suite
melissainsd - I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck! Temporarily unavailable.
rocky6 - accepted MD this year. I'm willing to help out any way I can. experience in poli sci, humanities. pm me with statements.
yourmom25 - i've done this 3 years and each year i've had to redo my PS. each time i send it to a proofer, i get good reviews and my interviewers have always had good comments.
Chickenlittle84 - applying this year, non-science major, good at finding holes in writing. PM please.
sendwich - accepted this past year, semi-nontrad. wrote for both a masters (smp type) program in addition to the PS for the 2006-07 cycle. I've gotten so much help from previous sdners (or current ones?), I'd love to pass on the good luck to future M1's!! please PM me
ItOnlyTakesOne - Accepted this cycle, complimented on my PS by interviewers, and currently writing/co-editing a student newspaper. PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address.
sassy doc - got multiple acceptances in this cycle. got over 20 interview invites. i'd love to help future ms1 and give my honest feedback. :)
chaitin - PM please. I am an MS2 who will give you honest feedback.
kidthor - I'm a reapplicant this year and am by no means a literary master, but I do have a JD and I edited a law journal.
mintendo - accepted this past cycle. I have a lot of time on my hands these days. Please PM.
saftab - I had a lot of people help me with my PS so I am willing to help others.
acdbx - T for the WS is my only claim to any sort of writing ability.
CUKaraSue - accepted this cycle. 13-V, R-WS. Will be brutally honest!! Email as an attachment to karad (at) clemson (dot) edu. I was a non-trad applicant. Would love to read other non-trad statements and/or those with research! Better at content/flow/voice than grammar. Good Luck!!
baby methusela - i'm down. i was editor for the school newspaper. i can probably only do a couple b/c i work a lot.... just pm me, i guess
jgoblue86 - currently applying, can read for content/originality. will be honest!
penisclaw - currently applying, strong with grammar and essay structure, will be honest
akshay - have two years experience in writing research papers and articles, grants; have worked PT at the writing center at a nearby college, critiqued PS for fellow classmates. Need atleast a week to read and critique. PM me and i'll give you my email address.
sandlot1892 - PM me and ill give you my email address so u can send it that way; R on mcat writing section, eng minor, wrote a novel
kevster2001 - Feel free to check MDapps, i've already read a bunch, wasn't aware of this thread
McLicky - applying this year, currently finishing my PS statement up. Peer review is the best way to refine your PS, PM me if you want me to take a look. Can usually have Track Changes comments back in a day or so.
keke88 - Always willing to help! lots of previous writing experience!
aaronw - ill read some and give you good feedback
variablistic - Reapplying, good with grammar and sentence structure.
NekoMD - Applying along with everyone else this summer, 2.5 years experience at university writing center; PM if interested!
DrPDot - If I weren't going to be a doctor, I'd be a writer. S on MCAT writing section, and love, love, love to edit -- yes a bit of a freak --- PM me and I'll shower you with suggestions for both content and grammar/syntax.
brittanykgw - tutor in writing center and school paper writer. PM me if you need any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Personal Statement Readers 08
Falco2525

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm willing to read... so long as yall don't apply to CA schools and increase the competition. Suckas! Just playin.

I'd be willing to help out. Just PM me :).

ecking
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience

Sure I'll read a few, I think I might be better at reading and giving editing tips than actually writing, lol.

i'd be glad to help. but like cirrus, i'm probably better at grammatical tips than anything else

I can read some. I enjoy editing, so it's a fun way for me to procrastinate. :)

Cirrus83
ecking
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85

Cirrus83
ecking
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85
mongrel

I really appreciate all of your willingness to read our PS's. How would you like for us to go about sending those to you, a pm?

Members don't see this ad :)
also willing. extra opinions are nice i think

Cirrus83
ecking
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85
triangles

Adding myself to the pool and added e-mail addresses for those who prefer to be contacted that way.

Cirrus83
ecking - [email protected]
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85
triangles
linuxizer - abfriedman @ gmail.com

I would hesitate to allow someone who is applying this year to read a PS

Adding myself to the pool and added e-mail addresses for those who prefer to be contacted that way.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85 - PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer - [email protected]
Depakote

As per Riceman's comment, I'm noting the fact that I'm applying this year in case it affects anyone's decision. That said, I'm not going to steal your PS, and I'm a darn good editor :)
Ari

Cirrus83
ecking - ecking @ ucdavis.edu
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
linuxizer - abfriedman @ gmail.com - Applying this year
Depakote

Throw me up there too :)

i'm in.

me gots good english skillz :)

but seriously, i'm good at editing for content and grammar/punctuation.

[email protected]

I like the idea, but I'm curious if the people reading are all people who've already successfully been through the cycle? I think it would be pointless for other pre-meds to be reading personal statements since most don't know how theirs will come across.

I like the idea, but I'm curious if the people reading are all people who've already successfully been through the cycle? I think it would be pointless for other pre-meds to be reading personal statements since most don't know how theirs will come across.

I applied this cycle and am currently on 3 waitlists. I do understand your point, but in my case, my personal statement is for sure not the reason I'm not getting in. It's probably one of the strongest points of my application (unfortunately, lol - I'd rather have a strong mcat!). I am re-using my same PS this time around if I have to reapply (with, perhaps, a few updates), as it has been complimented on by a number of interviewers and committee members. But, if it makes anyone uncomfortable, know that I am likely reapplying this year. I promise I won't be stealing anything, though. :)

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
linuxizer - [email protected] - Applying this year
Depakote
pcguy2
MeMoMa - [email protected]
chable - applied to 23 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance to top choice state school

Just added a brief profile due to MedStudentWanna's concerns. But, the more the merrier; it wouldn't hurt for more people to read and help edit a PS no matter how they did in their respective application cycles.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
chable - applied to 23 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance to top choice state school
Schaden Freud

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf - editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest

editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest

For some reason, you sound like a Simon Cowell in this years edition of Personal Statement Idol.

If you're thinking of a different thread, though, I'll have a mod delete this one.

Oh no - I'm wrong. I'm just remembering the thread like this for last year's cycle. Sorry :(

And another thing, you might want to put email addresses in the name @ college.edu with the spaces so that spam crawlers don't pick them up :)

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
MeMoMa - mer384 @ yahoo.com
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf - editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest
Anastasis - English degree, applied last cycle, PMs please :)

I applied this cycle and am currently on 3 waitlists. I do understand your point, but in my case, my personal statement is for sure not the reason I'm not getting in. It's probably one of the strongest points of my application (unfortunately, lol - I'd rather have a strong mcat!). I am re-using my same PS this time around if I have to reapply (with, perhaps, a few updates), as it has been complimented on by a number of interviewers and committee members. But, if it makes anyone uncomfortable, know that I am likely reapplying this year. I promise I won't be stealing anything, though. :)

I wasn't talking about someone like you. I should have been more clear. If you're on waitlists, you've obviously applied and done well enough to get to interviews. I was referring to pre-meds who've never applied before.

The only reason I bring this up is because I've seen undergrads give advice on personal statements for grad school to other undergrads and usually, it's like the blind leading the blind. I have horror stories I could share!

I just meant that other pre-meds who haven't applied and maybe who haven't even written their personal statement yet are probably not as knowledgeable as someone who's been through the cycle at least once, whether or not they got in.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Ersatzious - MD/PhD, English degree in my former life, PM please

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
Astrithir - applied and accepted last cycle, PMs please.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle

Who's that?

Some judge on the American Idol show. I don't watch but from clips and commercials, it appears that he's brutally honest and likes to make people cry.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
Think Big-class of 2011, pm please

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2 - PM please. Have been doing for this for 2 application cycles. Class of 2011
Schaden Freud
Anastasis - English degree, applied last cycle, PMs please
lilnoelle

i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt.

Some judge on the American Idol show. I don't watch but from clips and commercials, it appears that he's brutally honest and likes to make people cry.

Oh. I'm only obliquely aware of American Idol (and most things in pop culture for that matter).

I'm not about schadenfreude or sadism, though. But I do think that with something as critical as a PS for your med school application, you shouldn't pull any punches.

I also know that for some people, criticism--even if constructive and justified--tastes like poison. I guess I just like people to brace for potential criticism up front. Helps it go down easier.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
gsmithers68 - class of 2011, please pm me. Minored in Engrish/Histry. Me grood at wroitin.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
gsmithers68 - class of 2011, please pm me. Minored in Engrish/Histry. Me grood at wroitin.

I'm not about schadenfreude or sadism, though. But I do think that with something as critical as a PS for your med school application, you shouldn't pull any punches.

I also know that for some people, criticism--even if constructive and justified--tastes like poison. I guess I just like people to brace for potential criticism up front. Helps it go down easier.

In case you misunderstood me, I didn't mean to imply that it was a terrible thing to be brutally honest. It's very necessary.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
omegaxx (class of 2011) - PMs please. Available after May 14. Second major in English. Canuck.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
SpiresAAC - MSSM class of 2011, American Studies major, English minor, MPH, post bacc...PM me

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
PepperMD - Semi-nontrad, Literature, Science, and the Arts, Psychology double major, English Minor. Interdisciplinary perspectives and unified themes my specialty!

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
EternalRage - applied and accepted last cycle, PM me, I'll tear you a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.