Interview Workshop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utterdevotion

Hopeful future pharmacist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a handout I made for one of my pre-pharmacy society meetings.
CREDITS: SDN

A list of interview questions, that I complied from the interview section.

Potential Questions:

1. Tell me about yourself.
--How would you describe your personality?
--What 3 characteristics best describes you??
--What are your strengths and Weaknesses?
--How do you routinely communicate with others?
--What are your hobbies/what do you do in your free time?​
2. Describe a time when you successfully resolved a conflict between yourself and someone else.
--Do you prefer to confront conflict or tactfully avoid it?
--Has there ever been a time when you had to deal with a lot of stress? What did you do to deal with the stress, elaborate.​
--Tell me about a recurring problem that you were able to resolve.
--What is your usual approach to solving problems?
--Where do you turn when your usual problem-solving approaches are not successful?​
3. What extracurricular activities and community service organizations are you involved with?
--Tell me about a time when you put someone else’s interests before your own
--Tell us of one instance where you went out of your way/stepped out of your box to help someone in both the everyday and the pharmacy environment
--Do you see tutoring children as a clinical activity?​
4. Is your GPA an accurate reflection of your academic ability?

5. Why do you want to become a Pharmacist?
--Where do you see yourself in 5 years in 10 years? What is your vision as pharmacist?
--What do you have to contribute to the field of pharmacy? What traits do you believe will contribute to you being a good pharmacist?
--Who had the greatest influence on your choice of pharmacy as a career path?​
6. Why do you choose school?
--We have hundreds of applicants, why should school choose you?
--If there were only 1 spot left, why should we pick u over the other 9 applicants?​
7. What challenges do you see for the field of pharmacy??

8. What do you feel the role of a Pharmacist in the community is?
--What do you see as the role of the pharmacist today?
--What do you think is a pharmacist’s role in the community?​
9. What would you do if you didn’t get accepted into any pharmacy schools this year?

10. What qualities do you see are needed for an exceptional pharmacist?

11. What is Pharmaceutical care??

12. What is the leading factor of ailments in today’s society?

13. What would you do in an ethical issue?

14. What would you do if you suspected your best friend, who is also a first-year student, was cheating in class?
--What would you do if you knew another student was cheating?
--What would you do if you caught a student cheating?
--If you knew a friend was cheating what would you do?
--Many of the assignments in pharmacy school require group work. What would you do if you found out that someone in your group plagiarized their part of the paper?​
15. What would you do if a pharmacist you work with was caught drinking?
--If you noticed that a fellow pharmacist had alcohol on his/her breath, how would you handle the situation?
--What would you do if you came to work and a pharmacist you worked with took a valium every day without a prescription?​
16. How would you handle a group member who was not pulling their weight in the group?
--If you were in a group and you noticed someone was slacking on purpose, how would you handle the situation?
--What would you do if were working in a group and you noticed that one of the group members was purposefully not pulling their weight?​
17. Should or should not alcohol and tobacco products be sold at a retail/community pharmacy?

18. If a patient wanted a drug that you were morally against, what would you do?

19. You are counseling a patient on the proper use of his medication when your technician informs you that Dr. Jones is on the phone and wants to talk to you now. How would you handle this situation?

20. While explaining to an elderly patient how to take her medication, a hurried shopper demands to have his refill dispensed immediately. What do you do?

Come up with questions to ask them....
Faculty:
--How heavy is the coursework? Would I have free time to work and/or volunteer?
--What would you recommend a student to be involved in their first year?
-- Things specific to the school (aka how they grade, classes, etc)
--Why did you decide to be a faculty member here at the University? Do you do any sort of research?

Students:
--Is it difficult to find housing?
--How they enjoyed their experience at school.
--What is something you wish you knew when you were interviewing and/or applying to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

:) Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, I wish I found this earlier!!! amazing post!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic post! Thank you!!!

This is awesome and very helpful. Thank you!

Thanx for the great post. However, I have interviewed multiple times and its not the questions so much as how do they want us to answer them. I have been told to be honest and be myself. I have done this last year at 3 schools and got denied at all 3. and again at the first school i interviewed at this year. Any Suggestions on how some or all of these questions should be answered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nice post. This will come in handy

Thanx for the great post. However, I have interviewed multiple times and its not the questions so much as how do they want us to answer them. I have been told to be honest and be myself. I have done this last year at 3 schools and got denied at all 3. and again at the first school i interviewed at this year. Any Suggestions on how some or all of these questions should be answered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This post's intention IS to get an idea of what questions they will ask so that you will have an idea of how you may want to answer them. Hopefully these questions will help you and others to prepare for the interview. You should think out how to answer them, but not necessarily memorize word for word on how you're going to answer. People interviewing you usually have a lot of experience, so don't fake it and definitely don't have a "prepared answer." Like you said yourself, the most important part is being yourself.

If you have very concerned on how you're answering some of these questions, you can type out your answers to certain questions and PM them to me and I'll give you some feedback.

Keep in mind that sometimes it's not HOW you answer them, but your attitude, how professional you act, how you may be dressed, etc. There's a lot of factors that come into play on how well you did on your interview. It could also be that your interview wasn't bad at all, but admissions unfortunately picked others that had a better overall application than you. Did your schools tell you specifically that it was your interview that you have to work on?

very nice info! :)

UCSF (rejected); UCSD (2/6/09 12pm); USN (1/24/09); TouroCA (working on Sup App).

Utterdevotion , yes two of the schools said that I needed to improve my interview skills and the other didn't give a reason. I don't think it would be due to a weak app. I have an overall 3.7 and 3.89 science gpa with 3 years inpatient pharmacy experience, BS in bio and minor in chem. I will try what you suggested. Thanks again. ;)

Great post for newbies preparing for their first interviews. Good stuff!

Wow. This is why I joined this forum. Great post, dude!

I know that Admissions loves hearing about your interest in opportunities abroad. You can also ask about what students usually do in the summer.