2008 VCU/MCV Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliboy07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :D

I wanted to keep the tradition going from last year's thread. It was dissapointing to be waitlisted, but I've just completed my application for round 2. To everyone applying this year, I wish you the best of luck!

If you want to go check out the previous threads and read up on the inspirational stories check these out:

2006: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=221729
2007: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293682 (Part I)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=383615 (Part II) <--we posted too much lol

I thought this might be helpful to those who don't know about the process...we'll see. I'm gonna add more when I have some free time and include Q and A's from this thread too. If anything's wrong, let me know. Take the following information with a grain of salt.

F A Q s

GENERAL APPLICATION PROCESS

1. What is a priority score?

A priority score is assigned to every applicant in order to determine the candidacy of each applicant to enter the next stage in the process. A file reviewer will give you a priority score to determine if you meet requirements for a secondary. Post-secondary, a file reviewer will determine if you deserve an interview. These two scores have little to do with you getting in. After an interview the ADCOM assigns a third priority score to determine if the applicant is to be accepted, put on hold, or rejected. - Instatewaiter

2. Do any out-of-staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

The first batch is the hardest to get in from and they tend to have the highest stats. It is very common that people who interviewed early get pushed along until the committee reaches that priority score. For example: let's say Bob gets a score of 2.5 (1 is the best, 3.5-5 is a rejection). In October they may only offer to a 1.5 (Bob doesn't get in and gets pushed to the next batch) . In December a 2.0 (Bob doesn't get in). In January, a 2.2 and in March a 2.5. So Bob would have to wait until March to get in. - Instatewaiter

POST-SECONDARY

1. My application was just complete, how long does it take for them to make a decision about an interview?

VCU has a response time faster than most other schools. The committee usually takes about 1-2 weeks to review a completed application. Keep in mind that this estimate can increase depending on where they are in the application cycle. The length of time also depends on your priority score.

2. I recently got a status update post-secondary, but it was very vague. What does this mean?

I have done some research and it seems that there are 2-3 possible updates that the adcoms send out post secondary review:

A) The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

B) The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

What do these mean? The committee has looked at your file and decided you meet the qualifications for an interview. They do not want to guarantee you an interview right now because they do not know what the schedule will be like 4 months in advance. It would not be fair to guarantee an interview and later rescind it due to a lack of interview spots. Just take this as a good sign. People from the past 2 cycles usually recieve an invitation ranging from two days to a month. So be patient and wait. It could take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks.
It has been speculated that the two messages could be correlated to a certain priority score, but this has not been substantiated by the ADCOM.

C) The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken.

This is pretty straightforward, but it is important to note it is NOT a rejection. It only means that the person giving the priority score could not come to a decision. Additional staff will look at the file to collaborate for a decision.

POST-INTERVIEW

1. How does the ADCOM determine your priority score?

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score. 1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection. - Instatewaiter

Members don't see this ad.

I love that school! Everyone is amazing there. I hope I get an acceptance :)

i'm a private school kinda guy, but i was very impressed with VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instatewaiter,

Is their a lot of oppurtunities for research at VCU?

Is it difficult for people to get into the year-out program for biomedical research?

Glad to see a VCU thread for this year!! Last year's thread was great...I too am a reapplicant...good luck everyone!

Anyone know if any out of staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

Instatewaiter,

Is (Are) their (there) a lot of oppurtunities (opportunities) for research at VCU?

Is it difficult for people to get into the year-out program for biomedical research?

I hope you proof read your PS better than your post...

There are tons of research opportunities at VCU/MCV. There is no research requirement in the curriculum but if you want to do some research all you have to do is figure out where you want to be and ask. Most PIs are very willing to have a medical student work in their lab. In all honesty you probably wont have time to start your own project so you will most likely be piggy-backing on someone else's project (unless you do it 4th year or take a year off) There are tons of opportunities and research going on in almost any field you could think of. One of the 2002 nobel laureates in chemistry was from VCU so they are doing some cutting edge stuff here.

Honestly I dont think the 1 year off program (where you get a masters) is in very high demand w/ my class but it may be for classes behind me. They actually announced it to our class just a few weeks ago. Before that I had never heard of it. You can also opt for the MD/PhD route even after you first matriculate. Granted for that program you need to have a stellar MCAT and be in the top 15% of your M1 class but the masters shouldn't be anywhere near as competitive.

Anyone know if any out of staters get an acceptance in the first batch? Do you have to have stellar stats?

The first batch is the hardest to get in from and they tend to have the highest stats. It is very common that people who interviewed early get pushed along until the committee reaches that priority score. For example: let's say Bob gets a score of 2.5 (1 is the best, 3.5-5 is a rejection). In October they may only offer to a 1.5 (Bob doesnt get in and gets pushed to the next batch) . In december a 2.0 (Bob doesnt get in). In Jan a 2.2 and in March a 2.5. So Bob would have to wait until March to get in.

It is a very trying process. Last year, I interviewed in November and was put on the waitlist until the middle of August. I understood though, my MCAT held me back. But even if you end up in that kind of situation where you are on hold and have to wait until subsequent batches to be released, you still have hope and you still have a chance.

This process is about not giving up!

Hells yeah, I loved VCU!

Well to put it mildly, no, I do not have stellar stats. 3.45/32S to be specific.

I was accepted at VCU last year and deferred, so I'm going to be starting next fall. I was very impressed with the school and everyone there, it was an easy choice to make. I can't wait to start actually!

No love for CA people in their own state.

All of the people I've met at VCU (including people on their ADCOM) have been absolutely charming. I've been absolutely impressed with VCU, to the point where I would probably pick VCU over the other two state schools, given the choice. :love:

I got the "we're interested, but not that much" message today. In other words "eh, we might interview you if we don't see something else that's better."

It's not a rejection, though! Hope springs eternal....

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how VCU calculates the priority score for candidates?

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score.
1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection.

Your file is projected onto a screen and people start tearing you down based on weaknesses. Your file reviewer (one who initially read your file) and interviewer are your advocates and push for you to get in. They field questions and there is a discussion about you. Each member on the adcom gives you a score from 1-5. The highest and lowest score are thrown out and the rest are averaged. This is your priority score.
1 is the best basically the ideal candidate and 5 is the worst. Anything above a 3.5 is an automatic rejection.

This is exactly what I was told at my interview.

So I am assuming that they assign you a priority only after you interview?

You also get assigned a 'score' from your file reviewer which determines when/if you get an interview. They may also call this a priority score I am not sure. I havent read the e-mails they send out in a while so I cant remember.

This score however has little to do w/ you getting in.

So the priority score from the Adcom is only given after an interview.

I really appreciate VCU's candidness about their admissions process. The selection method they use seems very fair, less pretentious, and more objective than what many schools appear to use.

Kinda frightening. But wouldn't it be amazing to be able to actually witness this meeting about yourself? I would feel like a celebrity LOL! :p Ahhh the wait is gonna be so difficult until oct 15 (then dec, then feb, then march :()

just interviewed there and I loved it. I could totally see myself there.

My interviewer said that my interview went well and that she would recommend me for admission.

We'll see what happens. . .

congrats and i hope it turns out well. best of luck!

just interviewed there and I loved it. I could totally see myself there.

My interviewer said that my interview went well and that she would recommend me for admission.

We'll see what happens. . .

Who was your interviewer, if you don't mind me asking?

Got the infamous "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail." However I have heard that most get interviews soon after this message.

instatewaiter,

how do you like richmond and what's the cost of living like?

Well I am originally from Richmond so I might be a bit biased but...

Richmond has a diversity of areas where you can live; you can live in the country (with a big drive to school each morning) the suburbs, the hip-artsy area, or downtown which is in walking distance from a decent night life. You can find pockets of staunch conservativism, stuanch liberalism and everything in between.

As medical school towns go Richmond is pretty decent. It has enough to do to keep you occupied when you have free time but is not too distracting at the same time. DC is just a few hours away if you are from a large city and miss that scene and a few hours away from class 5 rapids, mountain climbing and great views if you like the outdoors. Richmond also has an amazing patient population (and hospital if I do say so myself) where you will see pretty much everything you could possible want to, and more.

Cost of living is pretty cheap. I share a large (1500sqft) apt w/ 1 roomate. W/ utilities included it comes out to be around 650/mo each.

instatewaiter,

how do you like richmond and what's the cost of living like?

I am also a med student at VCU, but I am originally from the west coast. All in all, Richmond is great. There is a lot to do outside of school (good restaurants, outdoor recreation nearby, a wide variety of interest groups on campus, etc. Plus the class is large, so there is always someone up for seeing a movie, grabbing a drink, studying, etc.)

The cost of living is good depending on where you are coming from. Housing with roommates can be as cheap as $300/mo+ utilities for something small. I'd say most people pay between $500-600/mo. Food, gas, etc also seem a little cheaper than the west coast.

I am also a med student at VCU, but I am originally from the west coast. All in all, Richmond is great. There is a lot to do outside of school (good restaurants, outdoor recreation nearby, a wide variety of interest groups on campus, etc. Plus the class is large, so there is always someone up for seeing a movie, grabbing a drink, studying, etc.)

The cost of living is good depending on where you are coming from. Housing with roommates can be as cheap as $300/mo+ utilities for something small. I'd say most people pay between $500-600/mo. Food, gas, etc also seem a little cheaper than the west coast.

As an out of stater, when did you get accepted? Were you on the waitlist?

For an OOS- If you have an interview in October, does that mean you have a better chance of getting accepted because its still early in the season? Also, what is the percentage of people that interview usually get accepted?

As an out of stater, when did you get accepted? Were you on the waitlist?

I interviewed late in the season and was on the waitlist until the first week of June. I know a fair number of OOS students that got in much earlier though. :luck:

feels like limbo, during the busy season how long does vcu usually making decisions about interviews after the secondary is complete?

feels like limbo, during the busy season how long does vcu usually making decisions about interviews after the secondary is complete?
I've been complete for a while - 3 weeks or something - and no news yet.

I got this message from VCU: "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Since they have some reservations about granting an interview, your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Please continue to check this site to learn when further action has been taken."

Something tells me I'ma get the boot :thumbdown:

Don't take it so bad...I got the same one...

It basically means that the one person assigned to review your file couldn't make a decision one way or another, and wanted other people to help make the decision. Hence to sub committee...

Good luck to us...

Well I've been complete since 7/26...yes, JULY 26th. :thumbdown: And I know NOTHING.

Well I've been complete since 7/26...yes, JULY 26th. :thumbdown: And I know NOTHING.

SAME!!!!!! complete on the 26th, Have send 3 emails to request info, never got any reply!

SAME!!!!!! complete on the 26th, Have send 3 emails to request info, never got any reply!

I got a reply from the asst. dean who said they're just swamped and they'll get to it soon. That was 2 weeks ago. Hehe.

I got a reply from the asst. dean who said they're just swamped and they'll get to it soon. That was 2 weeks ago. Hehe.

That still doesn't explain why some people who has been completed for less than 3 weeks, already have received news.
Doesn't that defy the whole purpose of rolling admissions?

That still doesn't explain why some people who has been completed for less than 3 weeks, already have received news.
Doesn't that defy the whole purpose of rolling admissions?

Yeah I know. It's so frustrating!

It varies based not only on how they score you, but also on how busy they are. During the busy season it can take over a month for someone w/ a good score. If you have a low score from your file reviewer it could take even longer.

I spoke to a woman at VCU a few days ago who told me they were really far behind...that's probably why everything is taking longer than it was earlier....I was complete at the end of August, and she said it was possible they would get to my file at the end of this week, but probably not...so it looks like it's turning into a one month wait to hear something. But they are better than other schools because at least they make an effort to tell you SOMETHING....there are so many schools that won't communicate with you at all until (and if) they decide to interview you...

Instatewaiter, I'm editing the front post of this thread to make the information more accessible is it okay if i add your q and as on there?

what does everyone think? helpful or no?

Well I finally called VCU...when I told the nice lady on the phone that I've been complete since July she was like hmmm, let me see what I can do for ya. So she's manually emailed my app to a different reviewer so that *hopefully* I'll get some news soon. But considering EVMS rejected me, I doubt VCU will give me an interview...sigh. :(

Well I finally called VCU...when I told the nice lady on the phone that I've been complete since July she was like hmmm, let me see what I can do for ya. So she's manually emailed my app to a different reviewer so that *hopefully* I'll get some news soon. But considering EVMS rejected me, I doubt VCU will give me an interview...sigh. :(

I think they'll give ya an invite...I have similar stats, with similar EC's, and same undergrad =) I was complete around 7/14ish, and I just interviewed there 9/10. So here's to hoping you get an invite soon! :thumbup:

I finally emailed the dean and all she said was : sorry we are very busy!!!
I have been waiting since the 26th of July!!!