USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My interview is at 10:25am on Sat March 29. So they are interviewing about 100 people? and accepting 45-50? Thats an awesome chance! :)

My stats are:
cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.2
PCAT: 91 (not like it matters)
2 years pharm tech, 2 years volunteer at a free clinic

I know I don't have the best stats so people that don't have the best GPA and what not...don't give up hope.

I'm still waiting to hear back from UCSF too! aslkjdf;l this wait is killing me :(

Congrats on your interview! I was wondering how many class(s), if any, are you lacking at the moment before matriculation for USC.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend just called me, she got a rejection letter from USC without an interview. It was dated March 4th, so it looks like if you didn't get an invite by now, you get the other letter. :thumbdown:

My friend just called me, she got a rejection letter from USC without an interview. It was dated March 4th, so it looks like if you didn't get an invite by now, you get the other letter. :thumbdown:

Hmm..I live in the LA area and I didn't receive the rejection yet, although I guess I'm sort of expecting it. I did apply pretty late in the game. Boo hoo :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

How come 40-50 people are accepted from each interview pool if the first interview had 150 interviewees while jan, feb, march ones have 100 interviewees? Is it because more people will be accepted from 1st interview pool each time? But isn't this a lower probability of acceptance for the Nov. interviewees ? :confused: So not much advantage is given for those who applied earlier?

Hey, this is a good question. I hadn't thought of it that way. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to confuse or mislead anyone. I don't know exactly how many will be accepted from the last interview (and it is impossible to predict) but my estimate of ~45-55 was just my best guest based on the trends i've gathered from this thread. (check out pp. 4-7)

1st interview: 48 or 55 (maybe some accepted had declined)
1st + 2nd combined = ~100 (per Shehsheh)

So, I thought it was reasonable to assume ~45-55 will also get accepted from the last interview batch. The lady at the Adm Office told me that they don't have a specific number they're shooting for, and the # can be lower OR higher than the # accepted from each of the other interviews. The total they're accepting is 250. They'll also review those on active consideration again after the 4th interview.

I don't know if they'll compare ppl in the 4th interview with those on AC before deciding who to admit, or they might take you right away if you're a strong candidate. WITHOUT adding in those on AC and just looking at the 100 that are interviewing on the 29th.... if they accept as low as 30/100, that's still ~1/3 chance to get in. So, a more accurate estimate of our chances is maybe ~1/3-1/2 or even 1/4-1/2. Point is, be encouraged!! I think the odds of making it if you have an interview are better than odds of getting an interview in the first place :luck:

Can I call to find out why I didn't get an interview?

Do they do a background check before interviews? I do have a misdemeanor from 4 years ago.. if they run that and pre-judge me..

I'm tripping out here.

hey koercive,
I went back and read old posts from this thread, and feel bad that you've been waiting for such a long time. I don't know if you've already called about your interview status, but just wanted to let you + others still waiting know that we have until Mar 13 to accept/decline our invites. I'm thinking a few may decline since they've already been accepted to other schools--in which case, Adm Office told me that they will invite more ppl from the alternate list. So there is still a chance you'll be invited after the 13!!!! Good luck!!

Hey, this is a good question. I hadn't thought of it that way. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to confuse or mislead anyone. I don't know exactly how many will be accepted from the last interview (and it is impossible to predict) but my estimate of ~45-55 was just my best guest based on the trends i've gathered from this thread. (check out pp. 4-7)

1st interview: 48 or 55 (maybe some accepted had declined)
1st + 2nd combined = ~100 (per Shehsheh)

So, I thought it was reasonable to assume ~45-55 will also get accepted from the last interview batch. The lady at the Adm Office told me that they don't have a specific number they're shooting for, and the # can be lower OR higher than the # accepted from each of the other interviews. The total they're accepting is 250. They'll also review those on active consideration again after the 4th interview.

I don't know if they'll compare ppl in the 4th interview with those on AC before deciding who to admit, or they might take you right away if you're a strong candidate. WITHOUT adding in those on AC and just looking at the 100 that are interviewing on the 29th.... if they accept as low as 30/100, that's still ~1/3 chance to get in. So, a more accurate estimate of our chances is maybe ~1/3-1/2 or even 1/4-1/2. Point is, be encouraged!! I think the odds of making it if you have an interview are better than odds of getting an interview in the first place :luck:

Based on the information given by Jim G on the Feb 23rd interview. There were 70 seats offered as of that date. About 50 ppl offered for the nov interview minus those that decline, and 30 ppl from Jan interview. They expect to offer about 30 ppl from the Feb interview, and I assume will be the same for March interview. Then, everyone gets ranked and the remaining seats will be determined.

Based on the information given by Jim G on the Feb 23rd interview. There were 70 seats offered as of that date. About 50 ppl offered for the nov interview minus those that decline, and 30 ppl from Jan interview. They expect to offer about 30 ppl from the Feb interview, and I assume will be the same for March interview. Then, everyone gets ranked and the remaining seats will be determined.

Oh, that makes it alot clearer then. Thanks so much for clarifying!!

I called and found out why I didn't receive an interview.

Pretty much, I am missing "too many" pre-reqs. It makes it look worse that it really is because my school is a quarter system and splits up classes like physics lab (1.5 unit class) from lecture. I am missing "4" classes from physics alone 2 lectures and 2 labs even though we are in the last week of winter quarter right now, so it's really "2". In addition, I got screwed with scheduling at my university because I am not a bio major (bio minor) and was unable to enroll in classes needed for pre-pharm early this year in the fall quarter.

I am currently missing a total of "9" classes according to adcom, which is easily completable, but looks bad nonetheless. They told me that from the looks of it , they didn't think I would be able to finish up pre-reqs and/or my GPA was non-reflective as it's missing "too many" classes (I don't think ~30 units over 2 quarters would make that huge of an impact on my already completed 240 units....).

Taking a year off isn't so bad though, and I'm going to apply really early this time around. This also gives me time to take the GMAT and apply for the pharmD/MBA program.

Still waiting on UCSD - interviewed first round ... but that's unlikely as it looks like they probably filled up their 60 spots.

As for the misdemeanor thing, they don't check beforehand. Later on, you will need to disclose it to the pharmacy board, but it's not a problem usually (I called and asked, mine was for a stupid thing NOT related to violence/drugs/drunk in public/etc) unless was really bad or a felony. They let you appeal if they do flag you though.

Officially rejected today :) I'm a little disappointed, but I was a longshot candidate to begin with and it actually brings me closure for the 2007-2008 admission cycle. Had I gotten an interview, or even waitlisted as a result, I would have had uncertainty throughout the summer wondering if I had to stop all of the plans I had set into motion for the school I had planned to attend.

So yeah...congrats to all you acceptees and interviewees :thumbup:

Officially rejected today :) I'm a little disappointed, but I was a longshot candidate to begin with and it actually brings me closure for the 2007-2008 admission cycle. Had I gotten an interview, or even waitlisted as a result, I would have had uncertainty throughout the summer wondering if I had to stop all of the plans I had set into motion for the school I had planned to attend.

So yeah...congrats to all you acceptees and interviewees :thumbup:

So where will you be going then. Jefferson or Hilo?

Confentiflyer, are you going to jefferson or UH Hilo? I also got into UH Hilo and thats my backup if I don't get into UCSF or USC. We might be classmates! =P

And to answer the previous questions about the # of pre reqs..I think I have to do 3 more. Stats, Interpersonal Communications, and the second Ochem lab.

Hey. I got an interview invite a couple days ago for the march interview. I have an interview for my #1 choice this saturday, so I will most likely decline the interview at USC (I am missing a couple "pre-req" classes I do not intend on re-taking). So, there is still a chance for someone else to be invited next week for the march interview! Hope that gives a little hope...

Hey, I haven't received anything from USC yet, not even a rejection letter (probably pending)...anyone else in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll be Jefferson University for me. Maybe I can teach at USC or something far into the future :)

i recieved an interview from USC a couple days ago on march 29. cya guys there. :) I am really hoping to get into USC. I don't want to be place on the waitlist..

Received rejection letter today. I really should've just gone into the TAP program four years ago. Oh, regrets.

got my rejection today too...time to cry in my little corner and also drop the class I was wasting my time in (apparently)

Received rejection letter today. I really should've just gone into the TAP program four years ago. Oh, regrets.

i know! this is killing me...haven't recieved any news yet but i didn't feel my interview went too great. it looks like im gonna have to reapply again. =(

for those receiving letters about acceptance/rejection, when did you guys interview? i know they said 4 weeks but im getting really impatient! :laugh:

for those receiving letters about acceptance/rejection, when did you guys interview? i know they said 4 weeks but im getting really impatient! :laugh:

I might be completely wrong BUT i think the people that are receiving rejection letters have not been offered an interview. But I THINK USC will be sending out letters by this weekend (for people that have had an interview)... well at least that has been the trend for the first 2 interviews (3 weeks after the interview date the letters were sent out).

thanks for the info shehsheh.

I interviewed on 1/26 and got accepted around late feb...i paid my $500 and then turned down USC for UCSD tho, so my spot is def open!!! :D

Thanks jessica525!

I guess I should expect it sometime within the next week. What made you choose UCSD over USC? If I get in (hopefully), I'll be considering both.

I chose UCSD over USC for several reasons:

Number one for me was the price. USC is around $18k-$19k more expensive each year, which adds up. Plus, the areas to live around USC are extremely ghetto which would mean living in a neighboring town and commuting in some traffic!

Next, UCSD overall impressed me...they were nice on the phone, helpful and polite. My experience with USC was rushed, busy, and rude. I enjoy the fact that UCSD is so excited about the success of their school because it is new. They mentioned 30% of the cirriculum is taken with the med school, which really attracts me, as well as the fact that UCSD still has the "dog lab", human cadavers, etc. UCSD seems like a very tight knit family to me, and they have the time to actually work with students for great success, since the class sizes are so small.

haha and as if that isn't enough, UCSD is BEAUTIFUL....new buildings great city...pretty much just as expensive to live in L.A. and S.D. !! AND UCSD has no grades....so this reduces competition and overall lowers the stress level.

I do come from a big family so I at first was hoping to get into USC! I didnt want to move 2 hours away for four years. However, after interviewing at both schools and going through the whole application process....UCSD blew USC out of the water. The fact that I was 1 of 60 is an amazing opportunity I would never turn down!

So yeah that is why I chose UCSD... :D

Hopefully USC will use my $500 towards training their employees to be a litte more polite & helpful :laugh:

i predict that those interviewed in feb, along those that interviewed in nov. and jan and were placed on active consideration will recieve news this sat. I'm not loking forward to STILL being on active consideration, but i feel that same letter will show up in my mailbox again. AHHHH!

Got a call this morning for an interview on March 29th because someone canceled their appt. Better late than never!
Looks like my interview time is 8:30 in the morning! :D

Got a call this morning for an interview on March 29th because someone canceled their appt. Better late than never!

when they called you, was the phone number "unavailable"?
(i don't pick up those calls)

did they also send you a letter?

when they called you, was the phone number "unavailable"?
(i don't pick up those calls)

did they also send you a letter?

323 area code
They will send the letter in a couple of days and I have to confirm through email. Good luck if you're waiting too.

323 area code
They will send the letter in a couple of days and I have to confirm through email. Good luck if you're waiting too.

I actually already got shafted/rejected :( . I was hoping for a change of luck though

I cancelled my March 29th interview on Wed afternoon! I got into my first choice on tuesday (USN), so I am glad they gave my spot to someone! Good luck!!

Farmercyst, do you know if USC already send out all invitation for the last interview? They would not tell me when I called them, if you know ,please let me know.Thanks.

Farmercyst, do you know if USC already send out all invitation for the last interview? They would not tell me when I called them, if you know ,please let me know.Thanks.

So far as I know anyone who will be invited has been invited. The only exception would be (like posted above) a replacement due to cancellation. They do everything they can to make sure all 100 interview slots are filled. We've actually had 1 no-show each of the last two interviews, so some people don't bother to call and cancel so that they can be replaced.:mad:

So far as I know anyone who will be invited has been invited. The only exception would be (like posted above) a replacement due to cancellation. They do everything they can to make sure all 100 interview slots are filled. We've actually had 1 no-show each of the last two interviews, so some people don't bother to call and cancel so that they can be replaced.:mad:

hey farmercyst,

i was one of the people interviewed back in november and placed still on the ACTIVE CONSIDERATION list...do you know the status of what's gonna happen this time around whether it's rejections, acceptances, or more waiting?

hey farmercyst,

i was one of the people interviewed back in november and placed still on the ACTIVE CONSIDERATION list...do you know the status of what's gonna happen this time around whether it's rejections, acceptances, or more waiting?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) all of the above. After March interview they'll make one more pass of the active consideration list. Some will get accepted, some will be rejected. If everything proceeds as it did last year, then after that everyone who has not been accepted or rejected will get a letter stating that they may be placed on the official waitlist (no longer "active consideration", but "waitlist":rolleyes:) You then send in a response accepting or declining the waitlist status. After about 1 month (3-5 weeks I think it was last year) They will come out with an approximate prioritized list (you get a number). The list is dynamic. As GPA's and diplomas are updated your waitlist number may move up or down (you won't get an updated number when this happens:() As people decline their acceptances people will be pulled from the waitlist. How many people will be pulled from the waitlist? Who knows. But I guarantee someone will be. We've already had at least one person decline acceptance (see earlier post in thread). Just keep up hope.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) all of the above. After March interview they'll make one more pass of the active consideration list. Some will get accepted, some will be rejected. If everything proceeds as it did last year, then after that everyone who has not been accepted or rejected will get a letter stating that they may be placed on the official waitlist (no longer "active consideration", but "waitlist":rolleyes:) You then send in a response accepting or declining the waitlist status. After about 1 month (3-5 weeks I think it was last year) They will come out with an approximate prioritized list (you get a number). The list is dynamic. As GPA's and diplomas are updated your waitlist number may move up or down (you won't get an updated number when this happens:() As people decline their acceptances people will be pulled from the waitlist. How many people will be pulled from the waitlist? Who knows. But I guarantee someone will be. We've already had at least one person decline acceptance (see earlier post in thread). Just keep up hope.

Farmacyst.. I have a question. The remaining seat of 30-45 seats that's still need to be offer, Is this only for the March 29th interveiw (100 People)? or is it for all the people from the waitlist/ active consideration list/ plus the 100 people that will get interveiw??

Farmacyst.. I have a question. The remaining seat of 30-45 seats that's still need to be offer, Is this only for the March 29th interveiw (100 People)? or is it for all the people from the waitlist/ active consideration list/ plus the 100 people that will get interveiw??
I believe those final seats will be filled by both people from the March 29th interview as well as members on the alternate list and waitlist.

I believe those final seats will be filled by both people from the March 29th interview as well as members on the alternate list and waitlist.

I don't know... but if what you said is true, i don't think it is fair for the march 29th interview people since they have less chances to get accepted compare to earlier interview, where they fill seat with the people that only interview on that day.

Earlier interview means you turned in your application earlier, which means you're more punctual, which means you should get the worm :D

As far as March interview and number of seats available and who they go to are concerned, pretty much the prevailing answers are mostly correct. Early bird gets the worm and interviews are prioritized based on #1 stats and #2 time when received. Essentially those who wait until the deadline can guarantee they won't get the 1st interview regardless of their stats, but they may get 2nd or 3rd interview if their stats are that much better than everyone esle's. We may have upper GPAs in March interview with few EC's (like me last year) We may have lower GPAs with great ECs among other things. But yeah, if you were selected for the last interview there's a reason it wasn't earlier (and there's a reason you weren't rejected without interviewing as well, so don't feel bad). As mentioned, early bird gets the worm (or at least the first worm) late birds get to fight for scraps. He who fights longest and hardest gets what's left.

Long story short, if you're coming on March 29 Fight On! :D

Farmercyst,

This year it seems like the Welcome Reception is on April 10th. Last year it was sometime in June I believe. Do you think they'll have another one in June?

I have a friend who studies together with me. We take classes together. I just find out that she lied to me about everything to say during interview. Now, she gets one acceptance. I have zero. I can not believe this. How can people be so mean. I share so much to her. She just taught me to say the wrong things. I am so pissed. Did anyone have the same experience?

Personally, I don't think the interview is supposed to be rehearsed. Your knowledge and passion for pharmacy should have led you to the right answers. Sure, it might be a good idea to have a laundry list of topics to explain, but someone shouldn't be able to say, "oh, you should say this because they'll like it". You should know what to say, and it should come out honestly. If you aren't honest, then it's as good as cheating on a test.

I remember what I wrote in my college admissions essay about what I will contribute to this campus, and I still follow it today :)

Personally, I don't think the interview is supposed to be rehearsed. Your knowledge and passion for pharmacy should have led you to the right answers. Sure, it might be a good idea to have a laundry list of topics to explain, but someone shouldn't be able to say, "oh, you should say this because they'll like it". You should know what to say, and it should come out honestly. If you aren't honest, then it's as good as cheating on a test.

I remember what I wrote in my college admissions essay about what I will contribute to this campus, and I still follow it today :)

Tell me that you don't prepare and practice your interview.:laugh:

Yes, I looked at the kinds of questions they asked on SDN, and practiced some responses to understand the sort of mental state I would need to use to answer in a professional manner. However, during the actual interview, I just answered from what I felt rather than recalling how I practiced.

I said that the interview isn't supposed to be rehearsed in the ideal sense to emphasize that you should already know the answers. I didn't say it to mean that I don't practice my interview. Of course, everyone who cares about the interview would practice.

"She just taught me to say the wrong things."
- How can someone else tell you what to say? You should know your own motivations to become a pharmacist, your leadership abilities, your extracurriculars, your hobbies, interests, and everything else they can possibly ask you.

Yes, I looked at the kinds of questions they asked on SDN, and practiced some responses to understand the sort of mental state I would need to use to answer in a professional manner. However, during the actual interview, I just answered from what I felt rather than recalling how I practiced.

I said that the interview isn't supposed to be rehearsed in the ideal sense to emphasize that you should already know the answers. I didn't say it to mean that I don't practice my interview. Of course, everyone who cares about the interview would practice.

"She just taught me to say the wrong things."
- How can someone else tell you what to say? You should know your own motivations to become a pharmacist, your leadership abilities, your extracurriculars, your hobbies, interests, and everything else they can possibly ask you.
Dude, misspharm didn't say her "friend" taught her exactly what to say. We all have several versions of ourselves to present in front of interviewers. Wouldn't you be upset if your trusted friend misled you to present a wrong side of you? I believe there must be some flaws of yours that you didn't "bother" to tell your interviewers.

No mail anyone? Ay ya, I can't wait another week.

Dude, misspharm didn't say her "friend" taught her exactly what to say. We all have several versions of ourselves to present in front of interviewers. Wouldn't you be upset if your trusted friend misled you to present a wrong side of you? I believe there must be some flaws of yours that you didn't "bother" to tell your interviewers.

Exactly. Finally, someone understand me. Of course, everyone will prepare for interview. I just hate people say interview should not be rehearse. By preparing ,answering and practicing those question. I think you are doing the same thing, powertoold. Believe me, you are just like one of us.