UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[QUOTE\ I don't want to stand out by being undressed, but I don't want to walk in there wearing a $300 suit.[/QUOTE]

If you show up undressed, you'll surely stand out! Don't show up to the interview naked ;)

Members don't see this ad.

not yet, I doubt we will get it until tomorrow or Thursday, especially since people had until yesterday to confirm that they would like to receive an interview. As for a suit, I am really not sure that I will wear one, I have two, but one is pin stripe black and I wore it too prom... can't see it being very appropriate for the interview, and the other one I got when I was in Grade 9 so it is most likely too small although I might give it a try. I am thinking semi-formal will be sufficient for this interview. Black dress shoes, black dress pants, shirt and tie, maybe a nice plain sweater over top the shirt. I don't want to stand out by being undressed, but I don't want to walk in there wearing a $300 suit.

$300 being too much or too little? lol

Hey Guys,

I dyed my hair pink a month ago, wasn't too sure about getting this interview. You guys think i should dye it back? I know its not professional but its who I am. what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there,

i'm a first time blogger

please, comment on my stats: 76 gpa, 93 pcat

about interview attire, i have a single 3-piece suit
i expected to wear the suit to the prom
unfortunately, i'll be wearing the suit for the first time this summer

bye there

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I dyed my hair pink a month ago, wasn't too sure about getting this interview. You guys think i should dye it back? I know its not professional but its who I am. what are your thoughts?

In a perfect world, something like having pink hair shouldn't matter, but to be on the safe side I'd dye it back. You are being judged, and why risk having your appearance negatively influence the interviewer's opinion. Being judged based on your appearance sucks (I get my fair share of this), but at least having a "normal" hair colour is something you can control.

I'm totally not against funky hair colour, just might not be best for the interview ;)

Does anyone find this a bit strange?

PHYL 301:
Course pre-requisites have changed to: All of BIOL 112, 121, 140 and one of CHEM 203, CHEM 233,or CHEM 260. If you have not completed the prerequisites, you are not eligible to register in this course.

Found that under the SSC...

hey there,

i'm a first time blogger

please, comment on my stats: 76 gpa, 93 pcat

about interview attire, i have a single 3-piece suit
i expected to wear the suit to the prom
unfortunately, i'll be wearing the suit for the first time this summer

bye there

hey there, hey there

thats a really impressive pcat score! congrats. Whats this about you wearing the suit for the first time? why didn't you go to grad?

thanks ubc microbio, ill get it dyed back in a week or so. NOT looking forward to it at all i really enjoyed having pink hair lol.

Hey Guys,

soupnazi,

Do not sacrifice your identity for the sake of an interview.

I would like to leave you with a quote from the The Oprah Winfrey Show: "as you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you."

Your friend.

soupnazi,

Do not sacrifice your identity for the sake of an interview.

I would like to leave you with a quote from the The Oprah Winfrey Show: "as you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you."

Your friend.

I agree with you but too much is riding on this interview. whoa you really love oprah eh lol. personally i always found the fat/skinny thing amusing.

thanks for your input though :D.

hey there, hey there

thats a really impressive pcat score! congrats. Whats this about you wearing the suit for the first time? why didn't you go to grad?

hey there,

thanks for the kind words

i wish my prom date was as kind...

bye there

$300 being too much or too little? lol

Too much for me, I can't afford to buy a new suit just for an interview, if they solely judge us just on what we are wearing then what's the point of even doing an interview? They could just line us up and choose the best 150 dressed for entrance to the program!

That being said, I think I'll rent a really classy one for like 50-100 bucks and just wear that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Too much for me, I can't afford to buy a new suit just for an interview, if they solely judge us just on what we are wearing then what's the point of even doing an interview? They could just line us up and choose the best 150 dressed for entrance to the program!

I'm down for that.... no seriously hahah

Does anyone find this a bit strange?

PHYL 301:
Course pre-requisites have changed to: All of BIOL 112, 121, 140 and one of CHEM 203, CHEM 233,or CHEM 260. If you have not completed the prerequisites, you are not eligible to register in this course.

Found that under the SSC...

I know! I thought that was super weird. The only thing that I can think of is if they give special permission to pharmacy students.

I'm down for that.... no seriously hahah

haha that would be pretty sweet actually.

On another note, i've been getting pretty stressed because i've tried twice unsuccessfully to get Uvic to send my final transcript over to UBC, I donno what's going on and i'm starting to freak out. I call UBC and they say they haven't received it, yet I call Uvic and they say they have sent it weeks ago.. Now I ordered another one to be sent priority mailing, made sure to check and double check the address. I'm gonna be devastated if it doesn't make it by the 15th

haha that would be pretty sweet actually.

On another note, i've been getting pretty stressed because i've tried twice unsuccessfully to get Uvic to send my final transcript over to UBC, I donno what's going on and i'm starting to freak out. I call UBC and they say they haven't received it, yet I call Uvic and they say they have sent it weeks ago.. Now I ordered another one to be sent priority mailing, made sure to check and double check the address. I'm gonna be devastated if it doesn't make it by the 15th
eek... I hope everything works out!!

and I'm down for the fashion showdown too.. hahaha
oh man, just thinking about the interview makes me shiver..

is everyone getting some practical interview practice through mock interviews? What do you guys think about getting together at ubc and doing mock interviews?

Also, anyone know a good website with recent news in pharmaceutical science?(and maybe health related issues) I've looked for some.. but the articles seemed wayy too specific.. Thanks!

Hey everybody, I'm applying for the 2nd time and just recently stumbled onto this site.

I'm also pretty nervous about the interview...
I had an interview last year but unfortunately didn't get in. However, since everybody is concerned about what to wear (for guys), I just want to say that as long as you look formal and professional, you are good to go. That being said, dress shirt + tie is already pretty formal in my opinion. My friends that applied last year were pretty much 50-50 in terms of dress shirt or actually wearing a suit (also applies to the other candidates that I've seen on the day of the interview).

That is just my opinion, I wore a suit last year and since I was nervous to start with, it got pretty hot during the interview! I'm still deciding though for this year.

Anyways, good luck to everyone on the interview!

it would be nice for the applicants who are already on campus to do that. I'm from the Okanagan so it is kinda hard to get down for practice. I guess ppl can always mock interview with a buddy or even a current manager at work or something.

anybody get their schedule yet? I want mine on the last day.

anybody get their schedule yet? I want mine on the last day.
I haven't received any e-mail yet.. I asked for the morning of first three days. Is there any particular reason why you want to do it on the last day?

Does anyone know the average academic grades of those who were offered an interview this year?
My pre-requisite average: 75.5
PCAT score: 95
And I have many many volunteer activities.

But I heard that after the interview, pre-req average still counts for 50% of the evaluation process, so I'm really worried that my grades will bring me down....:scared:

Does anyone know the average academic grades of those who were offered an interview this year?
My pre-requisite average: 75.5
PCAT score: 95
And I have many many volunteer activities.

But I heard that after the interview, pre-req average still counts for 50% of the evaluation process, so I'm really worried that my grades will bring me down....:scared:

My grades are 75.5% and I have a pcat score of 88. Grades are worth quite a bit. Before the interview the pcat is worth 25% and after its worth 5% so it unfortunatly won't make a difference. They won't let you know the aver of people who applied this year. But I've heard marks as low as 70%. Usually the averages of the accepted applicants are about 80%. Using that number people with marks 75% and above have a pretty good chance of being accepted.
Got the confimation letter today. June 23rd 9:30am

maybe ill get bonus marks for going first! hahaha

oh crap~ I'm at such a big disadvantage b/c the last person going on Tuesday :scared:

Just got my interview time! Anyone else going on June 26th, 9:30?

I got Tuesday June 24th at 1:30pm. :) Right after my Anat 391 class though, which sucks...

I'm 24th, 1:30pm too =P Also after anat391 haha

hahaha wow!! I'm just thinking that I'm not so sure if I want to go to class looking all formal, especially if I decide to wear a suit. Probably have to drive home and then drive back...

hahaha wow!! I'm just thinking that I'm not so sure if I want to go to class looking all formal, especially if I decide to wear a suit. Probably have to drive home and then drive back...

Solution: Don't go to class hahah

wednesday the 25th at 10:30am

haha i'm on the 24th at 1:30 too!
wow they must interview a lot of people in one time slot.

June 23rd 9 am.............. I'll be one of the first to have an interview.... I don't know if that's a good thing or not... :'(

Thursday June 26 @ 3:30

Good luck everyone :)

My interview is at 10:30 am at Wednesday as well :)

i guess thats the time and place to be. anyone live out in the okanagan?

june 23 4pm :(

crap

last one of the day

Being last isn't all bad. You finish off their long line of interviews, so they're happy to see you. And at least by 4pm, you're fully awake.

Me: 9am = 7am wake-up (from richmond) = groggy eyes and a slow mind :sleep:

Being last isn't all bad. You finish off their long line of interviews, so they're happy to see you. And at least by 4pm, you're fully awake.

Me: 9am = 7am wake-up (from richmond) = groggy eyes and a slow mind :sleep:

I'm a 9am coming from maple ridge! i hope i dont sleeptalk at the interview :sleep::sleep::sleep:

oh no's. i dont think you'll sleeptalk...that means you have to sleepwalk to the interview in the first place :p
get a good night sleep~! =)
(resting will be difficult until i actually receive the admission letter :()

At this stage ,I'm so worried about my interview.
With the school average of 75.5, how well do I have to do on the interview to get accepted?
It's really hard to tell...
Would I have to perform better than the average in order to get into the program?

you just gotta beat out 100 out of 250 ppl that get interviewed. so the chances aren't too bad.

I called the pharmacy advisor and she said that there are 300 interviewees this year...

Hey Ogo I'm pretty much in the same spot. I live in Kelowna and have an interview on the 25th at 11 am. I'm just wondering how the hell I even got this since my first year and relevant courses GPA works out to about 70% or a bit less. I did get an 87% PCAT though. Also I have a BSc already. Do you think that makes a difference? The organic chem, micro and stats you take in a BSc program...if I've done those already does it mean I don't have to take them in the pharmacy program if I get accepted???

Thanks.

Hey Ogo I'm pretty much in the same spot. I live in Kelowna and have an interview on the 25th at 11 am. I'm just wondering how the hell I even got this since my first year and relevant courses GPA works out to about 70% or a bit less. I did get an 87% PCAT though. Also I have a BSc already. Do you think that makes a difference? The organic chem, micro and stats you take in a BSc program...if I've done those already does it mean I don't have to take them in the pharmacy program if I get accepted???

Thanks.

Hey Matt

You won't have to take those classes again, as long as they are the same as or equivalent to the ones in the pharmacy program. I have already taken my second year organic chem and the lab.. as well as stats.. It will be super nice for us if we get accepted! Eeeks :)