Does a non-related science major decrease your chance of getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deanza1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here get accepted to pharmacy schools with a non-related science major? Does your major play a big role in your resume? :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have personal experience with this, but I do know that one of my classmates was accepted with a B.A. in literature.

Did anyone here get accepted to pharmacy schools with a non-related science major? Does your major play a big role in your resume? :idea:

I would say that it does indirectly. It is not the major that plays the huge role, but the absence of upper division science courses that science majors tend to take that plays a role in admissions.

That is my spin on it at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any degree is better than no degree. It helps make you more well rounded as a person. The only way I could see it being a negative is if you just finished the degree recently and suddenly decided to go into pharmacy. The Adcom may wonder if you'll do the same halfway through pharmacy school.

Bachelor's in Computer Science and accepted at my top two schools.

Although, I went back to a community college and took all the pre-reqs with a 3.8gpa (since with my CS degree, I never took any chem or bio classes).

Interior Design major. Applied to 2 schools, accepted to 2 schools. It can play as a bonus depending on how you spin it - a non-science major has a broader scope of experiences. Both my interviewees LOVED the fact that I was a non-science major.

Everyone has the same pre-reqs done when they apply, so that doesn't matter. As long as those are done, you are at the same level as any science major at that point.

Mathematics Applied Sci.> BS in June 2008

Schools look for a broad range of students coming from different experiences. So as long as you have a solid pre-req science foundation, then having a non-science major can give more incentive.

If anything your chances might be higher - from what it seems like certain schools almost seem to PREFER applicants with a non-science background:(. The several people that I personally know who got accepted to a big name school like UCSF - not just pharmacy but I know several who got accepted to Medical and Dental at UCSF this cycle - ALL were non-science majors who didn't even finish their pre-reqs yet. They were also all in their early to late 30s. So if you are a nontraditional student - you might be just in luck !

I'm an Accounting major as well as a Biology major. If I get accepted this cycle, I'll let you know.

I'm a Psychology major, and have been accepted to the University of Michigan and Wayne State University for next fall. My interviewers at Wayne State seemed to like the fact that I was a non-science major, but I'm sure it depends on the school. Good luck!

Your major doesn't matter. In fact, having a non-science major will make you more positive in the eyes of admissions since you bring some diversity. As long as you take the required courses for admission, you'll be fine.

thanks for all of your advice. My major is Business Administration, concentration in Accounting. Hope it's not really bad in adcoms' eyes

probably not since people with all kinds of majors get accepted, they want diversity