multiple deposit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkswogks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at Tufts, NYU, and Marquette.
NYU director just called me today and she asked me if I am still interested in NYU and asked me if I already paid deposit to other schools. I said no and after few minutes later I realized that I paid my deposits to remain on the waitlist at Tufts and Marquette. Because I thought she asked me the deposit for actual space, I said no. And I called her later but she doesnt pick up my call.

My question is does Multiple deposit rule by May 1st include the deposits for remaining on the waitlists? If I get in NYU and decide to go there, do I need to withdraw waitlisted deposits right away?
Please let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe she is refering to deposits submitted to schools you ahve been accepted to.

Sometimes they will offer spots to only those who have not been admitted other places, thus your answer was correct, you are not accepted anywhere yet.

As far as wait list deposits, leave your money there until the end. There is a chance they won't call and you will get your deposit back. Even if you happen to be accepted somewhere, leave your name on the list, and that way if they call you can simply say no thank you and they will retain your money; but this way if they don't call you won't lose your money.

Good luck int he future, hopefully some of those waitlists will start to move soon

I am accepted to NYU :). Just received a phone call after 3 hours. So, you are saying that waitlisted deposit does not violate multiple deposit rule, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am accepted to NYU :). Just received a phone call after 3 hours. So, you are saying that multiple deposit rule does not include waitlisted deposit, right?
The point of this new rule was to keep people from holding multiple spots, which you're not really doing b/c I don't think that includes waitlist spots. However, because it's a new rule it may not get applied properly. That would be a real bad day if your only acceptance dropped you b/c they felt your deposits at Tufts or Marquette violated this. I'm a pessimist, so I'd cancel those deposits and get ready for NYU. Congrats by the way!

Can you tell me whether she called your house or to your cell? And can you also tell me when you had your interview? thanks!

Can you tell me whether she called your house or to your cell? And can you also tell me when you had your interview? thanks!

She called to my cell. I had my interview in the end of February.

The point of this new rule was to keep people from holding multiple spots, which you're not really doing b/c I don't think that includes waitlist spots. However, because it's a new rule it may not get applied properly. That would be a real bad day if your only acceptance dropped you b/c they felt your deposits at Tufts or Marquette violated this. I'm a pessimist, so I'd cancel those deposits and get ready for NYU. Congrats by the way!

Hm... That's why I am afraid. But I do not want to lose my $750 Tufts deposit. And also what about those people waitlisted at Tufts holding only one acceptance deposit but get into Tufts later and their first choice is Tufts? I am very confused.
Should I call the ADEA or is there any specific website explaining about the new multiple deposit rule?

It cost money to be on the waiting list??? WOW I didn't know that....LOL...is this true for every school?