2008-2009 University of Alabama Birmingham Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UAB:

Essays - all limited to 1000 characters

Describe your research experiences and indicate any interest in continuing with research in medical school:

Where do you see yourself in your medical career ten to fifteen years from now?

Please write anything you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application:

Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center:

Members don't see this ad.

LOR's:

Option 1
* *Required* - Request your Pre-Health Professional Advisory Committee (PHPAC) prepare and send an evaluation to our office
* *Strongly Recommended* - Applicants who submit a PHPAC should also submit two additional personal letters of recommendation, but are not required to do so

Option 2
* *Required* - Two letters from Science Faculty who have taught you.
* *Required* - One letter from other faculty or an individual who can provide an in-depth recommendation
* *Strongly Recommended* - Applicants should also submit two additional personal letters of recommendation, but are not required to do so.

Option 1
* *Required* - Request your Pre-Health Professional Advisory Committee (PHPAC) prepare and send an evaluation to our office
* *Strongly Recommended* - Applicants who submit a PHPAC should also submit two additional personal letters of recommendation, but are not required to do so
In addition to all the letters in my committee packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think that the admissions committee wants to read more short essays from every applicant? I was wondering how long and detailed the answers should be on the secondary. Should I write a brief paragraph or two, or compose it more like a traditional short essay?

I can't even figure out how to work this application...I click the continue with the Secondary bubble and nothing happens. Nothing. Am I supposed to have another button to click? There is no other button. I'm not getting re-directed to the full application either. Not really sure what's going on...

Any ideas?

are you on the screen where you have to choose from the 4 options? are you using Firefox, IE, or some other browser?

Yeah that's the screen I'm on. When I click "I met the requirements and would like to initiate my Secondary Application at this time." nothing happens. I've tried using both Firefox and IE on my Vista laptop. I've also tried FF and IE on my Windows XP laptop. I've disabled firewalls, popup blockers, stripped off browser security, everything. Nothing works.

I sent them an email...hopefully they won't think I'm a *****

I remember having to answer that question 3 or 4 times before it finally let me skip it.

Sorry for your bad luck.. hopefully you get it figured out.

any interview invitations yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else receieve an email informing them of UAB's MSTP program?

"We would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. We are certain that you will find the opportunities for training in medicine and research here to be exemplary. Based on a review of your MCAT score, you clearly have excellent qualifications and we sincerely hope that you will consider the MSTP at UAB for your future training to become a physician scientist."

The email is much longer but you get the idea. I never showed any interest in them, Didn't send them my amcas, and I didnt even apply MD/PhD to any program. I'm guessing that they just want my money, what does everyone else think? I've recently started becoming more interested in academic medicine and started thinking of MD/PhD so its funny that I got this email. I'm wondering if everyone receives it because I dont have that great of an MCAT score, so they send everyone with like a 32+ this email?

"We would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) at the University of Alabama-Birmingham. We are certain that you will find the opportunities for training in medicine and research here to be exemplary. Based on a review of your MCAT score, you clearly have excellent qualifications and we sincerely hope that you will consider the MSTP at UAB for your future training to become a physician scientist."

The email is much longer but you get the idea. I never showed any interest in them, Didn't send them my amcas, and I didnt even apply MD/PhD to any program. I'm guessing that they just want my money, what does everyone else think? I've recently started becoming more interested in academic medicine and started thinking of MD/PhD so its funny that I got this email. I'm wondering if everyone receives it because I dont have that great of an MCAT score, so they send everyone with like a 32+ this email?

I just got that email like 5 minutes ago! I have 0 interest in MD/PhD. My research experience is so limited and recently started that it's only mentioned in 1 sentence on my AMCAS, which I didn't send to them either. I'd agree, probably looking for $$/bigger applicant pool

I was 32+ though, and I'll let their email make me feel special today since I just got my Wake rejection :)

If you have interest, you should apply, because it only costs the AMCAS fee to send in their app, then if they like you they send you a MSTP 2ndary, then if they really really like you they offer an interview, after which you fill out the regular 2ndary and pay the fee, but its not too bad because you only pay the fee if you get an interview... Hope that helps

haha yeah. i got that email.

Also got that UAB MSTP e-mail. Seems like they have a pretty solid MSTP program, though. Wonder why they're spamming so many students to apply.

I got that e-mail too, but I only had a 28 on the MCAT. But I took it again on 8/7 and the score release date is a week away. After getting the e-mail, I'm thinking that they might know my next score and it might be a 30+. I will be so disappointed if this isn't the case...
Has anyone gotten this e-mail with a score below 30 and that has not taken an MCAT recently (a early August test date)?

If you have interest, you should apply, because it only costs the AMCAS fee to send in their app, then if they like you they send you a MSTP 2ndary, then if they really really like you they offer an interview, after which you fill out the regular 2ndary and pay the fee, but its not too bad because you only pay the fee if you get an interview... Hope that helps

I just want to be clear before I consider applying to this school. They will only send you a secondary if they send you/will send you an interview invite?

I got that e-mail too, but I only had a 28 on the MCAT. But I took it again on 8/7 and the score release date is a week away. After getting the e-mail, I'm thinking that they might know my next score and it might be a 30+. I will be so disappointed if this isn't the case...
Has anyone gotten this e-mail with a score below 30 and that has not taken an MCAT recently (a early August test date)?

I don't think that email has any relation to what you scored on the MCAT. A lot of people received that email.

Good luck with your scores!:)

I applied and got the email for their secondary but the link doesn't open to a functional page (and it doesn't work when I copy/paste into my browser either) -- could it be because i am on a mac using firefox? or has this happened to other people too? is there another way to get to the secondary?

Thanks!!

I just want to be clear before I consider applying to this school. They will only send you a secondary if they send you/will send you an interview invite?

Check them on your AMCAS + MD/PhD, then if they want they will send you a MSTP only secondary which is really short btw, after which they review your file. Then if you are invited for an interview for the MSTP they'll have you fill out the regular secondary and then pay the fee ($75 I believe).

Finally..."Secondary Complete and Under Review" as of today. It was complete two and a half weeks ago...guess it is taking that long to process everything.

My LOR was the last part of my application, and it was completed last wednesday. Got the interview invite on thursday and I'm flying down for an interview on 9/25... is anyone else going then?

my status is "remain under consideration for interview" .. im assuming thats a hold, right? does anyone know how likely it is to get an interview from that status?

thanks

I, too, "remain under consideration".

Has anyone gotten a flat-out invite? How about any OOSers? (I was wondering if I was on hold b/c I was OOS?)

I, too, am OOS with "remain under consideration" status. Who knows if we'll get off the hold list. Maybe they're just waiting to see how many in staters with good scores apply before they let us come.

Who knows.

I'm still waiting for my status page to move from the Secondary in progress page, they have all of my paperwork now. Maybe they're getting backed up. How long did it take most of you all to move to the review page after your app was complete?

I was complete on Friday Sept. 12th, my applications changed to remains under consideration for interview on Tuesday Sept. 16th, and then i was invited to interview on Wednesday Sept 17th. So a 3 business day turn around was pretty impressive. My interview date is Oct. 2nd.

I was complete on Friday Sept. 12th, my applications changed to remains under consideration for interview on Tuesday Sept. 16th, and then i was invited to interview on Wednesday Sept 17th. So a 3 business day turn around was pretty impressive. My interview date is Oct. 2nd.

Cdig - are you IS or OOS?

I, too, am an OOS-er with the same "remain under consideration" / hold status for the past month or so...... i think we all may be in the same boat?

I am in state....so i am sure that is why they were so quick

"Remain Under Consideration for an Interview"...Ugh!

Just for those who are wondering how long the turn around time is, I submitted the secondary along with the required documentation on 8/6 and just got my invite today. So, well over a month.

I'm glad that I decided to add Alabama. I was on the verge of leaving it off the list due to their significant preference for IS applicants.

How were interviews today?

my interviews were really relaxed.. which is great, considering it was my first...

i showed up, listened to the assistant dean give a presentation about interview day, then interviewed with 4 people (3 MD's and a PhD for research. only the MD feedbacks factor into the final decision). each interview was about 30 minutes each, and from what i've read on interview feedback and the forums, the questions were pretty standard.. why did you choose medicine, tell me about your shadowing experiences, volunteering, etc.

after the interviews we had lunch with a couple of current students, and after we finished, took a tour of the school. my student guide was a 3rd year, and he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the school, not really over- or under-hyping it. he was pretty honest in answering all of our questions.

the campus is great.. hospital is very nice, and the med school has a new building (Volker hall) which looks like it was just built. most of the classes/labs are held there, but it's very shiny and nice :). after the tour we were free to go. all in all a very positive experience for my first interview :D

my interviews were really relaxed.. which is great, considering it was my first...

i showed up, listened to the assistant dean give a presentation about interview day, then interviewed with 4 people (3 MD's and a PhD for research. only the MD feedbacks factor into the final decision). each interview was about 30 minutes each, and from what i've read on interview feedback and the forums, the questions were pretty standard.. why did you choose medicine, tell me about your shadowing experiences, volunteering, etc.

after the interviews we had lunch with a couple of current students, and after we finished, took a tour of the school. my student guide was a 3rd year, and he seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the school, not really over- or under-hyping it. he was pretty honest in answering all of our questions.

the campus is great.. hospital is very nice, and the med school has a new building (Volker hall) which looks like it was just built. most of the classes/labs are held there, but it's very shiny and nice :). after the tour we were free to go. all in all a very positive experience for my first interview :D

Sounds great! I'd :love: to go to UAB. Please show me some love, Alabama!!!

Congratulations on a great first interview experience! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

I've got a few questions for those who applied to UAB. Did anybody else's status change directly from "Secondary in Progress" to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview". According to the website, they had received all of my documents, but my status never went from "Secondary in Progress" to "Secondary Complete and Under Review". It just went straight to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview". I thought this was odd. Also, is anyone else receiving emails telling them when their status changes? I am a re-applicant and I thought I remember them sending me emails last year everytime my status changed, but that hasn't happened this time. I just happened to check it today and noticed it had changed. Maybe they just send emails if you are offered an interview.

I've got a few questions for those who applied to UAB. Did anybody else's status change directly from "Secondary in Progress" to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview". According to the website, they had received all of my documents, but my status never went from "Secondary in Progress" to "Secondary Complete and Under Review". It just went straight to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview". I thought this was odd. Also, is anyone else receiving emails telling them when their status changes? I am a re-applicant and I thought I remember them sending me emails last year everytime my status changed, but that hasn't happened this time. I just happened to check it today and noticed it had changed. Maybe they just send emails if you are offered an interview.

My status synopsis goes like this...
8/27 - Secondary completed but remain listed as "Secondary in Progress"
9/11 - finally changed to "Secondary Complete and Under Review"
9/23 - changed to "Remain Under Consideration Interview"
It is a little odd that your status skipped the "Secondary Complete and Under Review" stage but maybe that just means that it didn't take them long to know they needed to consider you for an interview!
Not sure about the e-mails for status changes but it sure would be better than constantly checking the status page!

I went today and it was the same for me. I love this school! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Has anybody heard anything recently? Or have any information on how often they make decisions?

Anyone know how long it takes them to make a decision regarding whether they will offer an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.