Silly question (Suit for interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been addressed before, but after a cursory search, I found nothing (vet school specifically).

Full suit for interview? I am probably going to wear one unless 20 people scream no, but I know from my grad school interviews, I was told that I was a bit over dressed. As a NYC Italian, we love to find any excuse to wear a suit, but I have noticed that the South (where I will be predominantly interviewing) is a bit more laid back, and you CAN be overdressed for some situations... who knew.

Since I consider this the most important interview of my life, I would feel inadequate without a suit and tie. Are there any dissenting options?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, one of our classmates is NYC Italian as well. :D I'll ask his opinion. But I'd say better to be over dressed than under dressed. Tuxedo? No. Suit and tie, yes. I wore a suit to mine. Oh yeah, you might want to change your status (the thing under your screenname) to "Pre-Veterinary" and not "Veterinarian." ;)

Edit: I just asked him. He definitely wore a suit and tie.

Last edited:
Wow, you are super positive! Good for you! Already thinking about what to wear to an interview...I'm still in the "oh, please let me NOT to have forgotten anything on my application" stage :bang:

Good call about the status (fixed). Yeah, thanks for the feedback. As far as being positive, why not? Hell, after reading my personal statement, I would hire me, and I know better.

Honestly, I am incredibly nervous. Nothing left to due but sell my mutual fund and buy stock in the companies that make TUMS and Rolaids. I've done all I can, and as I've stated elsewhere, this is for all the marbles. No way at this juncture to increase my odds at getting in, so they are going to take me or not.

VMCAS was submitted today, and I can finally get back to work on my work. This damn app's been sitting on my desk for 5 weeks, preventing me from doing the stuff I should have been doing.

Now the only question is, do I go with dark grey, or light grey?

Ohh, and Vegan; "Morality is the herd instinct of the individual" (how often can you counter a Nietzsche quote with another Nietzsche quote and ref. farm animals to a Vegan at the same time)

lol, stock in antacids may be the only thing worth anything these days!

Actually, it has been so long since I have gone clothes shopping, if I do need to get a suit, I think I will be lost or overwhelmed or, more likely, both. And I will probably have to break out makeup too! I won't recognize myself out of scrubs and with a made-up face!

lol, stock in antacids may be the only thing worth anything these days!

Actually, it has been so long since I have gone clothes shopping, if I do need to get a suit, I think I will be lost or overwhelmed or, more likely, both. And I will probably have to break out makeup too! I won't recognize myself out of scrubs and with a made-up face!

Haha, that was SO me when it was time for me to get ready for interviews. Thankfully, I have a fashionista sister that dragged me to stores and I waited in the dressing room while she collected options, then I tried them on and she made all the decisions :) Next stop after that purchase was to buy make-up (and then a lesson in how to wear it!).

I'm already worried about this year's potential interview at Davis. Since moving to Mexico, I've only embraced more my tendency toward t-shirts, hippie skirts, no make-up, and bare feet. If I manage to get an interview this time around, when I go up for it would be the first time I've been back to the states since coming down here and I'm worried I will have forgotten how to make myself look presentable in a suit!

Vegan, how many application cycles have you been through? This is my third year but it never seems to get any easier in terms of the sitting around and waiting! :oops:

This is my second... Yeah, it hasn't gotten easier. Except that some information I could copy off my old one. But I knew what to expect and that was just disheartening. So I guess it evened out.

And you are right, third time's a charm!! ;)

Haha, that was SO me when it was time for me to get ready for interviews. Thankfully, I have a fashionista sister that dragged me to stores and I waited in the dressing room while she collected options, then I tried them on and she made all the decisions :) Next stop after that purchase was to buy make-up (and then a lesson in how to wear it!).

I'm already worried about this year's potential interview at Davis. Since moving to Mexico, I've only embraced more my tendency toward t-shirts, hippie skirts, no make-up, and bare feet. If I manage to get an interview this time around, when I go up for it would be the first time I've been back to the states since coming down here and I'm worried I will have forgotten how to make myself look presentable in a suit!

No worries, pups, you just drop me a line and I'll lend a hand. :) I'm sure jeans and t-shirts every day will have taken their toll by then, but hey, I did dress professionally for 5 years. Hopefully 6 months won't have totally eradicated that ability!

I can also help out with a place to stay, too, if you need it. :)

(Subliminal message...come to Davis!! ...Hm, maybe not so subliminal, eh? ;))

No worries, pups, you just drop me a line and I'll lend a hand. :) I'm sure jeans and t-shirts every day will have taken their toll by then, but hey, I did dress professionally for 5 years. Hopefully 6 months won't have totally eradicated that ability!

I can also help out with a place to stay, too, if you need it. :)

(Subliminal message...come to Davis!! ...Hm, maybe not so subliminal, eh? ;))

Haha, I totally agree with you...hopefully the adcomm will as well :) I may just have to take you up on that offer!

I wore a tan suit that was very "chic" (IMO) with a nice red shirt underneath. Now, the real challenge... seeing if my butt will fit into it a year and a half from now. Guh.

I interviewed at two Southern schools and one Midwestern school and wore a suit to all three. I'd say the majority were wearing suits, but a shirt and tie for a man or dress pants and a nice blouse/sweater set for a woman can be acceptable.

Yay, FlyOnTheWall is back!! :clap:

1) Wear a suit- pretty much everyone wears dark colors so a lighter color may help you stand out a bit (but not too much)! Make sure it fits YOUR body.
2) I would watch yourself on shoes ladies (I love heels but there is a fine line between professional heel and hooker shoes). I would go for a low heel or a wedge heel...closed toe is best (plus you interview in the winter so don't look silly).
3) Watch out for your boobies! Keep it all in there!
4) Easy on the jewelery, hair, and makeup- minimal/natural is best
5) Don't wear stuff you can easily fidget with (fidgeting is fun when you're nervous and makes you look crazy)

I agree, suits for both guys and gals.

In addition to the comments above--don't forget to skip (or at least go very gently on) the cologne/perfume.