2009-2010 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary app yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take AMCAS to "review" your apps (before it finally approved your app and let it go on to the school?)

Usually takes at least 2 weeks. The earlier you submit, the faster it takes. Sometimes people wait over a month.

Its past two weeks for me and still not verified. Hopefully soon and hopefully not a month.

It took about two and a half weeks for me. I submitted to AMCAS June 5, but didn't take MCAT until June 18th so UK is probably waiting on my score before reviewing my application.

Has anyone received a secondary app yet?

I applied EDP to UK, and still havent received my secondary yet. My AMCAS app has been verified, so I assume I'll be one of the first to get one. Maybe they'll start this week!

i submitted my application on the 8th but had to have my transcript sent to amcas, the received it about a week ago and still haven't verified it yet. But one good things about being an instate is that they will send you a secondary application and interview anyways, that's my only hope right now since my first MCAT score was really low. I am retaking it in august, I hope that won't slow the process down.

I don't have a evaluation letter yet and probably won't have it until school start back. Do there need the letters before sending the application the school? anyone knows?

i submitted my application on the 8th but had to have my transcript sent to amcas, the received it about a week ago and still haven't verified it yet. But one good things about being an instate is that they will send you a secondary application and interview anyways, that's my only hope right now since my first MCAT score was really low. I am retaking it in august, I hope that won't slow the process down.

I don't have a evaluation letter yet and probably won't have it until school start back. Do there need the letters before sending the application the school? anyone knows?

On the UK admissions website, they say they want the letters to be received alongside the secondary app. But you should print out the "AMCAS letters" forms so you can send them to your letter writers eventually. I dont know if you can add letter writers after you submit the AMCAS app, you'd have to check on that one.

You can't add letter writers after you have submitted the app... it will prompt you to redo the entire app if you want to make any additions. :(

what's the deal with the evaluator list on the secondary app? AMCAS already has my LoRs. do I have to print off the Recommendation Request Form and have it sent again or what? I'm confused...

Last year's secondary looks brutal. I would think it's good to start drafting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this today

The University of Kentucky College of Medicine acknowledges receiving your application from the American Medical College Application Service.
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine accepts primarily from the Kentucky resident pool. If you have a clear tie to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, you should inform the Admissions Office in writing immediately.

Academic qualifications of applicants are given strong consideration.
Competitive out-of-state applicants should have strong science and cumulative GPA's and should generally have MCAT subscores of at least 10's across the board.

Applicants given further consideration will receive e-mail instructions regarding completion of a secondary application.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

Danielle Johnson
Application Processing Coordinator
University of Kentucky College of Medicine

How long should our responses to the six prompts be?

For OOS applicants: I recieved my secondary today. I haven't had time to look at it, but I got it.

Does anyone know if they screen OOS? or everbody vs. nobody?

On a further note, can anyone explain to me how the letter of rec works at the University of Kentucky? If I already have letters loaded onto AMCAS, do I still have to get my letter writers to fill out one of those letter requests forms? How does that work?

I also like how OOS applicants also have an extra essay, haha.

On a further note, can anyone explain to me how the letter of rec works at the University of Kentucky? If I already have letters loaded onto AMCAS, do I still have to get my letter writers to fill out one of those letter requests forms? How does that work?

I had the same question. I wrote the person in charge of the applications and here's our conversation:

Me:
To Whom It May Concern,

When I asked my professors to submit an LoR, I gave them the University of Kentucky Premedical Office Faculty Evaluation Form which is nearly identical to the recommendation form on the online secondary application. I know this form was turned in with my other letters of recommendation into AMCAS and as far as I know, are contained in my Letter Packet with AMCAS. My question is this: do I still need to get my recommenders the OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE recommendation form? Or, is this already covered since my recommenders have filled out the University of Kentucky Premedical Office Faculty Evaluation Form?

Response:
No need to bother with the additional form.
You have done everything correctly.

So I'm guessing that if you did your LoRs through UK and presently have all of them in, you're probably gold.

Thanks dklin29, but I think you misunderstood me. I didn't attend UK for undergrad. I attended a small school in TN. I personally asked each of my letter writers for letters. They all loaded them onto my application manually through the Letter Writer Application. So I have my letters already slotted in my AMCAS application. Do I now have to go back and have them fill out the UK Letter Request and load the AMCAS Letter Request form onto their slot on my AMCAS application? That seems really really redundant and not like what I read in the AMCAS instructions.

hey scott, i have the exact same problem, im not sure what to do...

I'm pretty sure we don't need to do the request forms b/c we already have our LOR's on AMCAS, right? This secondary is crazy by the way. I already have 5 pages typed and I'm not even done

I'm pretty sure we don't need to do the request forms b/c we already have our LOR's on AMCAS, right? This secondary is crazy by the way. I already have 5 pages typed and I'm not even done

I really hope so, as one my letter writers (my religion prof) is gone away to India until the end of August, so I would really hate to not be complete until he was able to send in his "request form".

Yeah, this is a pretty in-depth secondary. I've not started, so I guess I should. I like how OOS apps have an extra essay :smuggrin:

hey scott, i have the exact same problem, im not sure what to do...

I had the same problem, and I go to a small school in Indiana. I just now emailed someone in admissions to find out if I really need that form. I asked them if the letter writers could just send that form into UK directly, or if I should get them to resubmit their letters along with the UK form. When I get an answer back, I'll you all know. now off to write 6 essays! :)

kymed, thanks man, i would greatly appreciate, by the way, where do you go to school in Indiana? i'm from a small school as well...

peace

I got a reply to my email late last night from someone in admissions.

"Do not worry about the additional recommendation form. If your letters were sent through AMCAS, it is not needed."

Looks like you don't need to worry about the UK recommendation form if your letters were already sent into AMCAS! tennis, I go to Taylor University, are you from a school in IN also?

Last edited:
Can anyone post the prompts for OOS applicant? Thanks!

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

OOS Essay:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a) Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

--------------------------------------

With that being said, how long are you people making your first 6 question responses? I figure the OOS essay should be roughly the length of a personal statement (about a page single-spaced).

Annoying as crap! This is easily my biggest/worst secondary.

I guess it's a blessing that I got screened out of this one. :)

Is the a character or word limit on these essays?

I was also wondering about the word limit.

OOS'ers: How long are you all making the OOS essay? I'm sitting here trying to develop an overall theme, and there is a lot of questions to answer in the essay.

As an OOS I this application has made the bottom of my pile. I have a ton of ties to the state and letters from the school but wow....

Insert large number for OOS Essay Word Count here.

Can someone please tell me what is the character/word limit for the 6 essays on the secondary?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

OOS Essay:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a) Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

--------------------------------------

With that being said, how long are you people making your first 6 question responses? I figure the OOS essay should be roughly the length of a personal statement (about a page single-spaced).

Annoying as crap! This is easily my biggest/worst secondary.

I am knocking these essays out of the park! Ok, not really. But once you get started on these they tend to flow easier than most prompts. For the first couple I'm doing around 200 words...enough to get a point across. How is everyone else doing theirs?

I'm doing about the same length rockaction. One of mine is closer to 500 words, but I'm trying to be brief. The OOS essay will be a bit longer though since there is a lot to cover.

On another note, has anyone seen the OOS tuition for the class of 2013? It's like 53k! Goodness gracious that's expensive. Does anyone know if you can claim in-state residency after 1 year? If not, I think I might have another way to achieve state residency status. Oh well, doesn't matter if I don't get an interview or acceptance I guess, haha.

A friend of mine is OOS and is matriculating in the fall. I should ask him how his tuition will work out. Last time he mentioned it he just looked depressed.

You should ask him whether he is eligible to get instate tuition after one year. I know some schools are like that (maybe IL schools?). That would be a nice bonus.

View attachment CostOfAttendance2009-2010.pdf

Attached is our COA for in and out of state.

BTW, residency can be a sticky-situation to figure out (and you should figure this out ASAP because 20K more a year X 4y + interest is a LOT). If you have questions, I would recommend talking to the admissions office. They are very helpful with such matters.

Thanks for the info Forthegood. That is a lot of dough to fork out for OOS folks. If I'm lucky enough to get an interview/acceptance, then I will definitely be calling about the school to get more info on residency information.

View attachment 13281

Attached is our COA for in and out of state.

BTW, residency can be a sticky-situation to figure out (and you should figure this out ASAP because 20K more a year X 4y + interest is a LOT). If you have questions, I would recommend talking to the admissions office. They are very helpful with such matters.

Holy schamoley. I mean I dig blue grass and everything but that's be tough to finance. I'm still debating the expense of this one.

It's not like I wiouldn't be honored to attend anywhere in the USA but when I've got 10 2ndaries on my desk and only incrimental cash flow.....

Do you guys think adcom's consider the length of time you take to fill out a 2ndary as a factor for their decisions?

Holy schamoley. I mean I dig blue grass and everything but that's be tough to finance. I'm still debating the expense of this one.

It's not like I wiouldn't be honored to attend anywhere in the USA but when I've got 10 2ndaries on my desk and only incrimental cash flow.....

Do you guys think adcom's consider the length of time you take to fill out a 2ndary as a factor for their decisions?

Lol, let's hope not. I've been sitting on mine for awhile since its so long and I've been really busy.

i just got an email response from someone with admissions:

I anticipate that all complete files will be screened within the next week or two. At that time, you will receive an email letting you know if you have been selected for an interview.

so if you've completed your secondary, i'm guessing you should hear some news within the next couple of weeks.

good luck!

The admissions committee is really going to love me. My OOS essay is currently 1600 words, haha. I hope there isn't a word limit. I'm gonna have to start trimming it down now....

Wow, the out of state cost is crazy.

Should we double space our essays or not?

Wow, the out of state cost is crazy.

Should we double space our essays or not?

IMO, no. I didn't, and no one that i know did. They are going to briskly read your essays... sometimes more is just more.

So, I guess I can safely assume that if I haven't received anything from UKY as of yet, I'm not going to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.