IM Official Questions 2009-2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If someone gets an invite to a program and I don't (given that we both applied on the same day), does that mean I can pretty much assume the program has rejected me?

Also, anyone hear from GW yet? I saw that one person heard from GW, but nobody at my school has heard from GW yet... including those with solid stats.

Members don't see this ad.

If someone gets an invite to a program and I don't (given that we both applied on the same day), does that mean I can pretty much assume the program has rejected me?

Also, anyone hear from GW yet? I saw that one person heard from GW, but nobody at my school has heard from GW yet... including those with solid stats.

Nope...I received a call from Louisville a week after a few people on this board did. Also places like Ann Arbor have yet not finished screening applications and have already sent out invites to a few. Even UCSF and BWH interview at least 250 candidates per year for their 50-60 positions. Do you think they send out all invites on the same day :)? I would pity the program coordinator of a program that send out more than 50 invites each time.

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Ya, good response RMD

Nope...I received a call from Louisville a week after a few people on this board did. Also places like Ann Arbor have yet not finished screening applications and have already sent out invites to a few. Even UCSF and BWH interview at least 250 candidates per year for their 50-60 positions. Do you think they send out all invites on the same day :)? I would pity that program coordinator of a program who send out more than 50 invites each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I turned my application in on September 14th, should I be in the same group with people who turned in ERAS on September 1st, or is it literally first come first serve for the interviews? Should I expect to get interview invites later from the same schools?

Also, my school just uploaded my transcript on October 2nd, when did most people get transcripts on ERAS?

Honestly, this whole process is a crap shoot. I submitted my app on 9/2 toward midnight... almost 9/3. But I didn't get a lot of invites from schools already posted here. Either I'm not qualified enough, or so many people applied on 9/1 that the schools haven't gotten through the first batch yet... even though it is almost mid-october.

The invites are definitely first come, first serve to those who are qualified. My friend submitted around the same time as you... and she only has 2 invites so far.

I think at some point, I'm just going to give up on SDN. Checking my email and then SDN every day is taking a toll on my mind.

Honestly, this whole process is a crap shoot. I submitted my app on 9/2 toward midnight... almost 9/3. But I didn't get a lot of invites from schools already posted here. Either I'm not qualified enough, or so many people applied on 9/1 that the schools haven't gotten through the first batch yet... even though it is almost mid-october.

The invites are definitely first come, first serve to those who are qualified. My friend submitted around the same time as you... and she only has 2 invites so far.

I think at some point, I'm just going to give up on SDN. Checking my email and then SDN every day is taking a toll on my mind.

OMG I'm doing the same thing! If only I could stop, my life would be a million times better. Damn you SDN, damn you!!

The people that have heard back from Yale, has it been for the Categorical or Primary Care Programs? Thanks!

Has anyone applied to CWRU and not heard back yet? I heard they give out interviews very early-maybe I should call them???

Also, my school just uploaded my transcript on October 2nd, when did most people get transcripts on ERAS?

I think my school finally got their act together and uploaded the transcripts on Aug 31. In my ERAS inbox, it is posted at the same time as when I submitted the rest of my application on Sept. 1.

I got an invite from both the categorical and primary care track. I am still not sure if I am going to go to both of them

I think my school finally got their act together and uploaded the transcripts on Aug 31. In my ERAS inbox, it is posted at the same time as when I submitted the rest of my application on Sept. 1.

Same story at my school as well. Transcript submitted with application.

Same story at my school as well. Transcript submitted with application.

Thanks. That's also probably part of the reason for the delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people that have heard back from Yale, has it been for the Categorical or Primary Care Programs? Thanks!

Primary Care, however they seem to be sending out invites to both the traditional and primary care programs now.

Originally Posted by randhail

Categorical program at Yale

Thus far, my application has been considered incomplete because my school does not submit any dept of medicine letters until next week.

As a result, I feel that a lot of programs are waiting until my letters are in - its SUPER annoying of my school :mad:

Anyone else have this issue?

Has anyone applied to CWRU and not heard back yet? I heard they give out interviews very early-maybe I should call them???

I haven't heard either, I am hoping they are waiting for the Dean's Letter

I had a quick question. Within what time frame did u get an interview offer for colleges like U of Mich and Loyola?

And do u get an email if they reject you?

For U Mich, 10 days after application was submitted.

Right now, may be a delay until the MSPE gets released.

I wonder whether it means that you are not considered if you do not get any feedbacks from the program, while they send out invitation to others?!

It is a pretty nerve-cracking experience...

It is a pretty nerve-cracking experience...

Awww...I just imagined neuron's getting squished. Sometimes invitations go out in waves...I got my Wake one a little later than the crowd and several others, everyone has a different system...

I applied to a whole bunch of Cali programs. I only heard from USC so far. Still waiting to hear from everyone else. Hopefully, they'll send an invite my way.

NYU has been pretty quiet so far...

I applied to a whole bunch of Cali programs. I only heard from USC so far. Still waiting to hear from everyone else. Hopefully, they'll send an invite my way.

NYU has been pretty quiet so far...

yes, I'm keeping an eye on NYU and Monte too. I think there is only one member on this forum currently who got a Monte call, that too for social medicine.

Regarding Cal - only UCSF, UCSD, USC and Loma Linda are the university programs that have sent out calls. Cedars will be sending it after Nov 1st. Dont know about UCLA, Stanford. The Kaisers - all 3 have sent out invites, as has SCVMC if you have applied there. I dont know about the others.

Stanford is usually mid-November... hard to get an invite there... one of the most beautiful places (and expensive!) to live in the United States.

UCLA gave out invites last year in mid-October... their website is not updated yet, so I guess they are waiting until the MSPE to give out invites. Uncertain about getting an interview here... while the program is a top 20... kind of surprised UCLA is not a top 10 program (I'm treating it like that!)

Has anyone heard from st vincents hospital in NYC? Also, i know someone who go IV from Einstein Monte few weeks ago for categorical...

I also applied to SVC in Manhattan, but they didn't spread their love this way... at least not yet. I think they are waiting for my MSPE.

Haven't heard squat from NYU or Montefiore. Also been very quiet on the West Coast front, even though I know UCI, USC, and Lomda Linda have sent out stuff.

At this point, all my free interview days are almost booked.If they invite me any later, then I will have to decline them.

When do invites stop coming, or are they pretty much rolling all the way through January?

Hehee...I couldn't help myself.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAIlrkSZOg[/YOUTUBE]

When do invites stop coming, or are they pretty much rolling all the way through January?

Much discussed question on this forum and on the ERAS and NRMP match forum.

Things are still lukewarm, and they will pick up speed post Nov 1. I think the general consensus is any invite post mid December to January is a safety interview for the program.

For those that applied to UConn, did you just get a handful of dates to choose from? Im used to basically having a whole calendar to pick :)

Last edited:
For those that applied to UConn, did you just get a handful of dates to choose from? Im used to basically having a whole calendar to pick :)

scroll down the email, those first dates are only the restaurant dates :)

Has anyone received a rejection from UCSF or Emory as of yet? From previous posts on this forum, Emory seems not to send out rejections. Any news?

Doesn't look that way to me? It pretty clearly says to make an appointment for 1 of 4 dates given...

Sorry I was thinking of another invite that I found confusing at first... Yes UConn only offered me a few

Ooops, nm, I'm totally confused!

Hi ,
I am really concerned as I have not had any IVs so far (had 4 rejections; applied to 47 programs on the East Coast ).My creds Step 1 96/step 2 99/will take CS soon; IMG with 5yrs clin exp in UK (but No USCE ) and MRCP . Is this it for me this year?

Hi ,
I am really concerned as I have not had any IVs so far (had 4 rejections; applied to 47 programs on the East Coast ).My creds Step 1 96/step 2 99/will take CS soon; IMG with 5yrs clin exp in UK (but No USCE ) and MRCP . Is this it for me this year?

No..things should improve for you assuming you applied broadly. Your MRCP may be desired by a few programs. This is on the basis of the trend I have seen from previous years.

Hi ,

Also the step 2CS might be a issue. Take is asap. ECFMG certification is a huge deal.:luck: :xf:

I am taking my CS over in a few weeks but I guess by the time the results are out, it will be too late for this year......keeping my fingers crossed for the other programs from which I have not heard....

I am taking my CS over in a few weeks but I guess by the time the results are out, it will be too late for this year......keeping my fingers crossed for the other programs from which I have not heard....
If you failed the first time, that might be a problem. Many PD's would expect an MRCP physician to pass CS without difficulty.

No I haven't taken CS before ...I will be taking it in 2 weeks time .I graduated in 2002 but have not got any major gaps in my career .Is it still a major issue? I am just trying to figure out what is holding my application back....

No I haven't taken CS before ...I will be taking it in 2 weeks time .I graduated in 2002 but have not got any major gaps in my career .Is it still a major issue? I am just trying to figure out what is holding my application back....

To use a clinical epidemiology term incorrectly... perhaps "lag time" bias... meaning that you are out at least 5 years from graduation. If I remember reading some other posts correctly, programs may be concerned about time from graduation... I don't know for sure... that's why we have the ever knowledgeable aprogdirector.

Have u done any externships in the US? Maybe this would be a good idea. What is an MRCP?

G'luck, rooting for u, ur road will be one that requires perseverance, let ur passion for the field drive u, u will make it!

:p- k, i was marking my territory :roflcopter:

I had a PD ask me on my IV, what my MCAT scores were...does anyone else find that kinda odd? It was in the context of where I went to med-school. I found the program really great, but walked away with a sour/un-decided feeling about the PD. The reason for the sour/undecided feeling is because I got the impression that he's a big talker (from up North), goes a mile a minute and expresses his opinion which is quite strong. I don't know how I feel about that yet, b/c my experience with other PD's has been different. I don't know just something about this guy didn't sit well with me. I'm gonna schedule a 2nd look to get a better understanding of him, he may be the deal-breaker..he was nice, just something about him...help?! thoughts?! The program is in my hometown and I really want to stick around here...

Last edited:
Hi all,

2 questions -

1. Does anyone know if Colorado has filled its interview slots or are people still receiving invites?

2. Has Creighton gone past its November dates, or do they just interview in November?