Low GPA Plans for Success (Posts by Premeds Not Yet Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TcuTcuca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is the premed complement to the Low GPA Success Stories thread. If you have not yet been accepted to medical school, and you want to share your plans, please post here. If you have already been accepted to medical school, or you are a current med student/resident/attending, please post in the Success Stories thread.

1. 31 years old with a 3.4 GPA and 31 MCAT
2. I currently work full time at a local health department. The work, in itself, is mundane as h***, but overall I would say my time here has positively influenced my decision to pursue medicine.
3. Divorced. My ex-husband was a recovering meth addict, relapsed during engagement, confessed after wedding. The whole ordeal got me involved in counseling and group support, where I finally gained the confidence to fulfill my potential.
4. I originally got the idea of moving into medicine while working at a research hospital as a lab tech a few years ago. After deciding a PhD didn't suit my social and outgoing personality, MD's in the lab suggested I pursue medicine instead. Initially thought there is no way in h**l they would accept me, so became involved in public health instead. After all I've been through with the ex, I decided I wanted to commit my life to empowering and serving others, especially the "down-and-out". I made a LOT of lists concerning my strengths, weaknesses, goals, and aversions. Finally realized med was for me after shadowing and doing quite a bit of research. I have not participated in a post-bac program, and don't think I will. If I don't get accepted this year, I will apply once more for med school. If I still can't make it in, I will pursue an advanced nursing degree instead.

We'll see where life leads me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q's thread gave me the idea that there needs to be a time capsuled thread where low gpa nontrads can see different models of success.

How about we play like this:

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
2. Your financial and work situation.
3. Your family and significant other situation.
4. Your plan or your path to success.

I just think that we as nontrads with financial and personal difficulties need a place to see success and find inspiration. And a place to cheer along those who are coming after us.

1. Just turned 24, 3.0 cgpa, 2.76 sgpa, and 29 of an MCAT

2. Family was in bottom income tier. I'm currently a 6th year undergrad/post bacc student

3. No family of my own

4. 3rd time to apply, no interviews until 3 weeks ago when I got an interview for UT southwestern.

Plan to success: keep taking post bacc courses until schools see a significant trend. Currently, my last 60 hours ( out of 185) is a 3.8. I hope to increase it to 75 hours by the end of spring. however, I'm hoping I get into UT southwestern so I don't have to keep taking school! I'm on my 16th consecutive semester ( fall,spring ,summer, since 2004) and going into my 17th next semester..

I also think an interview is a success for me lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Q's thread gave me the idea that there needs to be a time capsuled thread where low gpa nontrads can see different models of success.

I just think that we as nontrads with financial and personal difficulties need a place to see success and find inspiration. And a place to cheer along those who are coming after us.

These seems like a good way to introduce myself, so here goes:

1) 29 / c3.75, s3.56 / no MCAT yet
2) currently work full time in the military, so financially stable for now
3) married, first kid on the way
4) I was pre-med in undergrad, did research, volutneering, etc, all the stuff a good pre-med should do. However, as I got closer to applying to schools, I realized my heart just wasn't in it. I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but wasn't quite ready to commit the rest of my life to medicine without checking out what esle the world had to offer. I've loved my time in the military, I've gotten to do some incredible things and work with great people, but I know now I'm ready to commit to a medical career.

I'm currently taking upper level bio classes and finishing a masters. I plan to apply in 2011 if all goes well.

I've lurked on these boards for a long time, so it feels good to be actively involved in the pre-med process and contribute to this board.

Thanks for all the good advice so far!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These seems like a good way to introduce myself, so here goes:

1) 29 / c3.75, s3.56 / no MCAT yet
2) currently work full time in the military, so financially stable for now
3) married, first kid on the way
4) I was pre-med in undergrad, did research, volutneering, etc, all the stuff a good pre-med should do. However, as I got closer to applying to schools, I realized my heart just wasn't in it. I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but wasn't quite ready to commit the rest of my life to medicine without checking out what esle the world had to offer. I've loved my time in the military, I've gotten to do some incredible things and work with great people, but I know now I'm ready to commit to a medical career.

I'm currently taking upper level bio classes and finishing a masters. I plan to apply in 2011 if all goes well.

I've lurked on these boards for a long time, so it feels good to be actively involved in the pre-med process and contribute to this board.

Thanks for all the good advice so far!

Nice to meet you - good luck. This is a LOW gpa thread though. :)

Nice to meet you - good luck. This is a LOW gpa thread though. :)

Hi akinetopsia, it just seemed silly to start a new thread with the same info being listed on this thread. And, I think my sGPA can be considered on the low side of average so I'm working on getting it higher

I'm so happy I found this forum!! Your stories all serve as an inspiration to me. Following the original format:

I'm 30. My current GPA is around a 3.6, including the D I received in Physics II last spring, which I have only admitted to this board, my fiance, and my advisor...I'm not proud of it, but I'll own up to it, retake the class this spring, and hopefully redeem myself. BCPM if I could erase this would have been a 4.0.

I'm currently a full-time student finally finishing my bachelor's, so I work per diem (10-15 hours/week) during the semester and close to 60 hours/week between semesters. My fiance and I are living on student loans and part-time jobs. Not glamorous, but the bills are paid and we're working hard.

3. Your family and significant other situation. I am engaged, and we're getting married in 2011 after he finishes PA school and I (hopefully) start med school. No kids yet.

4. Your plan or your path to success. My plan is to take my MCAT this spring, finish my B.S. in Pharmacology in May 2010, and apply in June if my grades/MCAT scores are good enough to make it worth taking that risk, financially and time-wise. I'll be realistic and improve whatever needs improvement if I need to do so.

Here's the abbreviated version of how I got here: at 17, I had no idea what I wanted to do but I loved science and went to school for engineering. I dropped out when my little brother was hospitalized; my mom was single and supporting us without help from our dad, and it was important to me to be there with my family to try to help in whatever way I could. Once he was home and live resumed to “normal,” I moved to NYC and started working as a surgical technologist. I wasn’t interested in medicine in a career then, but this was a great way to make a decent living, while learning something new every day. I loved surgery, and I loved learning everything I could about the patients, how we were treating them surgically, how anesthesia worked…the list grew every day. I became insatiably curious, and I worked with an amazing group of nurses and physicians who were happy to teach me everything I was interested in learning. I read their old textbooks and new journals every spare second I had. I was falling hard for medicine, though I mistook it for merely a passion to learn something new and interesting.
One of the young surgeons I befriended had grown up in Ecuador, and moved to the U.S. during grade school. He managed to get into a competitive combined BS/MD program, and when he finished his residency and fellowship, he returned to Ecuador on his own to volunteer a few weeks in a hospital every year. As his practice grew, he established a medical mission that performed a few surgeries per year, and then dozens, and eventually hundreds of free surgeries to those who needed it. He invited me to join the mission when I was 23. At that point, I was taking classes haphazardly but with no real goal in mind. My first mission to Ecuador made me realize that I really wanted to pursue medicine as a career. I saved up money and courage, and enrolled in my first “real” full-time semester as a pre-med just before my 27th birthday. Since then, I’ve participated in three missions and contributed to the rest by gathering supplies and recruiting volunteers and donors.
I hope that I will get into medical school next year, but I’ll keep trying if I don’t get in the first time. I want to pursue a career in anesthesiology and hopefully join this mission in a different capacity someday. This board is exactly the kind of support I’ve hoped to find…so many of you have such great stories. I hope you don’t mind that I rambled a bit…it’s just really great to find a group of like-minded people who aren’t so competitive against others (as it notoriously true on other parts of this board!)

22 Years old 1.875 with 20 credit hours. No MCAT

I am a full-time substitute teacher and student so i'm broke.

Have been married for 3 years and Have a 3 year old son. Iplayed college basketball my first semester of college but dropped out after first semester. Took off for a year and one semester tried to go back that next summer lost interest and quit again. Went again the following fall 2007 and actually finished the semester but failed two classes ending with a 2.3 g.p.a. Did not go back until spring of 2009 started January off great then broke both arms in february and was in a chair for 2 months both forearms were shatterd and instead of taking an incomplete I tried to salvage my grades big mistake. Ended bad and ended up with a 1.5 and took one summer class to bring it to a 1.875.

I have now got my head clear, and i'm motivated to get my academic life squared away. I'm currently enrolled in 15 hours and am 3 weeks away from getting straight A's and bringing my GPA all the way up to a 2.5. I will continue on this path and finish what I started 5 years ago.

Last edited:
:thumbup: Nasrudin-- Fantastic thread. It's always reassuring to know that there are people like us who HAVE made it (or are clearly on their way to getting there). It's a huge motivator, especially when surrounded by hoards of young gunners in all of my classes... grrr.

23 years old. cGPA= 2.79, BCMP GPA=3.87. No MCAT yet, but I really need to rock it.

Work part-time at Starbucks. I live at home to minimize the amount of loan money I need as an undergrad. I spend most of my time as a student intern at a hospital, but it doesn't pay.

No family of my own, I still live with my folks (both a blessing and a curse).

Backstory: I started college as an advertising major. I was young, impressionable and immature and lost my focus on school because I hated what I was studying, yet I was too stubborn to be a "quitter" and change my major. I dealt with a health issue that caused me to withdraw halfway through both semesters during my senior year. During that time I was really depressed-- completely lost interest in school because I didn't see the point in it anymore. I was learning how to be a player in the corporate rat race of the advertising world, and I felt out of place amongst my beer-chugging, bong-ripping peers (I attended a huge party school). Did something really bad that is now on my criminal record. As shameful as that was, it was the biggest wake-up call of my life and I realized that I really ought to center my life around something much bigger than myself. I started working towards a life in service... wasn't quite sure what that was yet, but I was thinking along the lines of a science teacher.

Now: Moved back home, transferred schools, excelled in all of my science classes (two years' worth). I became close with my microbiology professor, and she suggested I look into a career in medicine. I had never really given it much thought before, I guess I didn't think I was smart enough. But why couldn't I be a doctor? I'm intelligent, independent, strong and have overcome a lot of adverse situations, all of which will definitely make me an excellent doctor. I started volunteering and shadowing and am thoroughly convinced that this is what I was meant to do with my life. I have never been more sure about anything, and the road to getting there, no matter how long or tiresome, is an exhilarating experience. Now it's just a matter of proving myself on paper.

I'm taking as many science pre-reqs and electives as I can to get my GPA as high as possible. The problem is that I'm a 6th year with 130 units under my belt, so raising my GPA is a little difficult. I predict that when I finish (spring 2012, 8th year senior, B.S. in microbiology), I will have taken 249 units, a cGPA of 3.25 and a BCMP GPA of >3.85 (3.90, hopefully). I will take a year off after I graduate to work in a research lab and perhaps as an ER tech, raise money for application season and study like hell for the MCAT. At this point I will be 26, which I think will have allowed for enough time for me to show how I've matured from that dark time during my 4th year. My biggest concerns right now: the huge gap between my c and BCMP GPAs, and how I'm supposed to finance all of this.

:thumbup: Nasrudin-- Fantastic thread. It's always reassuring to know that there are people like us who HAVE made it (or are clearly on their way to getting there). It's a huge motivator, especially when surrounded by hoards of young gunners in all of my classes... grrr.

At this point I will be 26, which I think will have allowed for enough time for me to show how I've matured from that dark time during my 4th year. My biggest concerns right now: the huge gap between my c and BCMP GPAs, and how I'm supposed to finance all of this.

There will always be "young gunners" in every class. Some of them will pick you out as another A student and try to convince you that they're more worthy of medicine because they have impeccable GPAs, they've helped discover a cure for "XY" in their research labs, they have served as TAs for graduate classes, etc. Ignore all of that, and keep in mind that you're likely more mature and have learned to struggle through things they haven't. But learn from them. They will be your classmates in med school, and they can teach you things you can't learn from any class or life experience...spectacular study skills.

I transferred to my current school, and I'm in a tremendously competitive honors program with kids who learned better study habits at 6 than I learned at 27, when I returned to school and maintained a great GPA. These kids have studying locked in, so to speak...they can go to any school of any size and get a great read on what professors really want them to know. They often study less, because they're simply that gifted at figuring out how to be efficient. That's a skill that's generally exclusive to those who have ALWAYS been top students, even while learning to party and let loose in college. They know how to prioritize both information, and time. I hated these competitive, cutthroat kids a few years ago, but I realized that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And now half my friends are kids who are ten years younger than me, still live with their parents, and are hated by the rest of the student population for their ridiculous ability to show up at every on-campus party but still ace that physiology exam Monday morning.

I'm glad I've learned from them, because I think it's going to make med school infinitely easier than it would have been for me. I was always (going back to undergrad part 1 and high school) either a straight A student with no life outside of my extracurriculars, or a mediocre student who was incapable of balancing fun, family crises, and school.

It's definitely important that you prove that enough time has lapsed between your past indiscretions and your current determination to be a great physician. Focus on maintaining a high GPA (overall GPA doesn't mean anything if there's a strong upward trend), and rock your MCAT.

As for financing all of this, forget it. It's immaterial. I went back to school 7 years after moving out and receiving no help from my parents. My mom is trying like crazy to figure out how to save up to help me with medical school and my wedding, and I've told her to focus on her own retirement instead. Loans are there for a reason. If you can figure out a way to come out of school in LESS debt, do it. But don't worry too much. You'll pay it off, eventually.

Wow what an inspirational thread!!

I'm 24, cPGA 2.65, BCPM 2.65, MCAT 19 (P7,B8, V4) Tri-lingual Immigrant (Although there is no excuse for that Verbal score)

Socio/Economically disadvantaged since I was young, government grants and loans got me through undergrad.

Work: currently at a major university as a Research tech/ Lab manager 40hrs/week while doing a post-bacc at night at different major university.
Daily commute (140 miles)

Father diagnosed with chronic illness stopped working and left the U.S. Currently me and my mother work full time to provide for the family (two younger brothers).

Finishing a few years of post-bacc to raise GPA, doing one verbal passage every night. Getting research experience (Got 2 publications), and squeeze in some shadowing on the weekends and clinical trips to Mexico. Hopefully with lots of self-motivation I will be ready to apply in the near future.

I mean this is a LOW GPA "Success" Stories thread!

I'm not trying to be critical, but I have a thought here.:)

:whistle:

Shouldn't the posters have "succeeded" in getting into a MD or DO program or something? Lets say someone has a 2.0 GPA and hasn't taken the MCAT and posts here on the "success stories" thread.

Then LATER after he posts, takes the MCAT 4 times scoring 19,20,22, and 19. Then applies to med school 4 years in a row and never gets in, then gives up and goes into a different field. How would this be a success story?

:confused::confused::confused:

I guess my point is, to succeed you most overcome a barrier. Signing up for school has little to no barriers, even taking the MCAT has little to no barriers. Scoring well on the MCAT and gaining entrance into a medical school has barriers and therefore IMHO constitutes success. (in terms of being a pre-med).

This is not to take away from any of the posters sharing their stories, but instead to question the appropriate naming of the thread "success stories".

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Shouldn't the posters have "succeeded" in getting into a MD or DO program or something? Lets say someone has a 2.0 GPA and hasn't taken the MCAT and posts here on the "success stories" thread.

Then LATER after he posts, takes the MCAT 4 times scoring 19,20,22, and 19. Then applies to med school 4 years in a row and never gets in, then gives up and goes into a different field. How would this be a success story?

I guess my point is, to succeed you most overcome a barrier. Signing up for school has little to no barriers, even taking the MCAT has little to no barriers. Scoring well on the MCAT and gaining entrance into a medical school has barriers and therefore IMHO constitutes success. (in terms of being a pre-med).

This is not to take away from any of the posters sharing their stories, but instead to question the appropriate naming of the thread "success stories".

I acknowledge you are not being critical, at all. You have some interesting points.

1) Perhaps there is room for two sister threads with similar talk about BEFORE and AFTER barriers....whatever those barriers may be. I think many find inspiration in the Big barriers being overcome (MCAT and acceptances like you talk about). But I know I personally was not inspired by these (I am being honest), but actually overwhelmed, and possibly discouraged by the huge task ahead. I know other barriers lie ahead of me personally, and I'd like to see both types of posts: "I see the mountain ahead of me" and "I'm coming down the other side!" I'd like to hear stories of the whole journey....

Perhaps an ASPIRATION thread....
AND
an INSPIRATION thread...

2) Regardless, I think you have to remember, what may seem to be a simple task to you (signing up for classes) may be VERY significant (financially, emotionally, etc) for another. And vice-versa....

Respectfully,

vc7777

38; 3.03 overall & 3.1 science at Arizona State University (microbiology) and 3.92 overall and major at Northern Arizona University (community health promotion). Finishing both bachelors in May 2010. Taking the May 27th MCAT. Thus far, my full length practice scores have ranged from 32 to 36.

Poorer than a he-hank! I have three campus jobs (work in a lab, work as an admin assistant for an academic dean, and as a Life Coach for a 34 year old developmentally disabled male and his 40 year old DD wife). I interviewed today for a STD Disease Investigations Specialist with Maricopa County. If I get it, I'll be able to eat more than Ramen Noodles.

A 32 year old fiance that is poorer than a he-hank as well. She's currently a 1st year Ph.D student in Health Education at SIU-Carbondale.

Much depends on my MCAT score. I have great LOR's and really good EC's. I think that between my military days and the stuff that I've done in the civilian world, I'll get in somewhere but just in case, I applied to the M.A. in Biomedical Sciences at Midwestern-Glendale and MEDPREP at SIU-Carbondale. My mentor is on the ADCOM at U of A-Phoenix and has been a GOD SEND! She's really helping me to put together a strong package, so again, I will get in somewhere. When I post again, I'll be telling yall where I've gotten an acceptance.

29, MCAT 32S (12/09/11/S) <---- I had a real bad day on VR that time. Almost retested...

UG GPA 3.1, 2.98 science BioEngineering degree, Japanese Minor, Asian Studies Minor, studied abroad in Japan and lived independently in Asia another year.
Grad GPA 3.45, science 3.35 ish, also in Bioengineering

Terrible. I'm 90K in debt from UG/Grad school. Only way I can justify more debt is a MD shot for me, else its getting a job and giving up. Currently work as a perfusion tech (ECMO and VADs) at a major children's hospital. Lots of direct patient contact and patient management responsibility. Lots of other medical research experience.

Have a fiancee. She's more stressed than I am about all this. No idea what I'm going to tell her if I don't make it, honestly.

Plan A: Apply broadly, hope for the best. Got good recs on my side (I hope!!!)
Plan B: Postbacc in a program with linkages. Give me advice here.
Plan C: If no postbacc programs will take me, I'm done for. My weakness is my GPA so that will be that. I might switch to perfusion in a year or two after I get a job and pay down debt. I am actively looking for a more stable full time engineering job (pays more, better hours).

I agree with you and thought along the same lines. I think Nasrudin's own post serves to illustrate what he meant. He listed his stats AND achievement at it....along with Faith's post as well.

22 ---- 3.31sGPA and a 3.47cGPA ---- 31O (9/11/11) <--going to retest

*I started my undergrad with a 2.9cGPA but fought my way up.

Currently, a very broke student but hanging in there with some help from my parents. Working a day every weekend as a pharmacy intern and some days during school as a tutor.

I'm currently single after having broken up with my girlfriend from undergrad just this last year. Don't really plan on getting involved with anyone until after I finish with pharmacy school but who really knows with matters of the heart.

Step 1: Study for the MCAT again during my rotations this summer and retake to get +34
Step 2: Start shadowing some doctors after the MCAT and start obtaining LORs for next cycle.
Step 3: Apply early and broadly. :xf:

I agree with you and thought along the same lines. I think Nasrudin's own post serves to illustrate what he meant. He listed his stats AND achievement at it....along with Faith's post as well.
If the OP wants, I can split this thread into separate threads for accepted versus still applying. Nas?

to split threads. I'll post here now, though, because I think I have been able to create an app that will be successful if I apply to more than *2* schools!

1. Age and GPA and MCAT
just turned 49 (going on 27). Started process via nursing post-bac at 45. uGPA 2.7 second Bachelors, post-bac combined BSN/MSN 4-semester nursing program, uGPA 3.65, gGPA 3.85, other post-bac (med school pre-reqs) 3.85. ON AMCAS: cGPA 3.01, sGPA 3.7, postbac GPA 3.65, gGPA 3.85. MCAT: 27S, 25S, 32R (11,10,11 R)

2. Financial and work situation
Moved home and live with mom to go back to school and apply to med school. Student loans for expensive graduate (MFA) and post-bac.

Now work as a medical writer contracted, new PRN job as RN/Therapist at a Crisis and Assessment Center, County Human Services funded, PRN, just started, love it, perfect for my med school goals, pays good but not "regular" hours. Still very involved in theatre.

I have a play going into production at a regional theatre in the fall, received a good grant from a State Arts Council to write new play, acting in a production in May.

3. Family and significant other situation
Single, no kids, live with mom right now till I know where I am going to be for school. Have 2 cats and an awesome dog named Izzy.

4. Plan or path to success
Applied in state last year with 25/27 MCAT, got two interviews, no success, good feedback and encouragement to re-take MCAT. Re-took in September 09, got 32R, re-applied in state to 2 schools, got two interviews and one WL.

I am re-applying this year to 22 schools, carefully researching each one, writing a new PS with more individuality. I am a unique candidate and I have a lot of EC's and clinical medical experience. I have done a lot of teaching, and worked in human services for over five years with the mentally ill and substance abusers. (Due to artistic lifestyle needed a day job) Now have a job doing the same except with an RN. I am almost an FNP, but choose to apply to medical school instead of going through to DNP with is what I was going to do but there are not enough science-based courses on that path - I want the medical education.

Now back to Mary Poppins.

m.

Last edited:
Congratulations Moo. Very inspiring. Never too old is the new adage it seems. Are you just applying to allopathic schools?

If the OP wants, I can split this thread into separate threads for accepted versus still applying. Nas?

oh. uh.

Nasrudin has no opinion that. But he apologizes for charging at windmills in your general direction. In other threads.

Good question. I am going to an open house to a DO school, and may look at another one up north this summer. I plan on applying to those 2 if I am inspired by them. I already have a lot of background in hands-on medical therapies and Ayurvedic medicine. I am a certified Tai Yoga Massage Therapist although I haven't practiced for a few years. My medical practice will be influenced by this regardless of what kind of degree I get. If it looks like OM is something I want to learn then I will be very interested in DO programs.

I really don't seem 49, whatever that means... (who knows) Some of my 90 year old patients at my gero clinical in nursing school used to call me "little girl" and one of them called me "toots" so I suppose I am still a baby to them. lol.

Congratulations Moo. Very inspiring. Never too old is the new adage it seems. Are you just applying to allopathic schools?

Last edited:
Good question. I am going to an open house to a DO school, and may look at another one up north this summer. I plan on applying to those 2 if I am inspired by them. I already have a lot of background in hands-on medical therapies and Ayurvedic medicine. I am a certified Tai Yoga Massage Therapist although I haven't practiced for a few years. My medical practice will be influenced by this regardless of what kind of degree I get. If it looks like OM is something I want to learn then I will be very interested in DO programs.

I really don't seem 49, whatever that means... (who knows) Some of my 90 year old patients at my gero clinical in nursing school used to call me "little girl" and one of them called me "toots" so I suppose I am still a baby to them. lol.

Very interesting background you have. I have 2 items for your consideration:

1. When you are crafting your AMCAS application make sure your write really good entries about all the different things you do/have done. I think this is an underestimated part of the application that if narrated well, like you've done here, could turn some heads.

2. You won't believe this. But there's a song by this East Bay band called D.O.G. About a dog named Izzy. It follows his adventures getting thrown into the pound and rescued by his friend--the singer. The name of the band is The Fat Foakland Orchestra. It's a funny song. Here's to songs about dogs named Izzy.

I practice hot yoga. And I hear you. It completely reshaped how I view health and its maintenance.

23 years old. I graduated with a BBA in management in 2007 at age 20, so I've been out of undergrad for three years. My undergrad GPA is 3.27. BCPM is 3.51. I have not yet taken the MCAT, I will do so in the spring of 2011.

I work full-time as a paramedic for a city/county EMS department. I support myself 100%.

I'm single and live by myself.

At this point in the game, my remaining grades and MCAT will be the biggest factor in my competitiveness.
-Do research to find out which schools will be the best fit for me
-Shadowing an ER physician several times a month until my application date
-MCAT prep course next spring
-Get good LOR's from my supervisor, the physician I shadow, one of my science course professors, etc.
-Make A's on my remaining prerequisite courses
-Apply EARLY to maximize my chances
-I'm questioning the merit of volunteering. I think I can safely say that I've satisfied the clinical experience requirement. I've worked full-time as a paramedic for 2.5 years, and I've been in EMS for going on five years total. I had one pre-med advisor tell me outright NOT to do any clinical volunteering, that I needed to do something completely outside of medicine.Thoughts?

Last edited:

27 years old, cgpa 3.28 sgpa 3.11 (stems from 1 very bad year 10 years ago, serious health issues). MCAT score coming 5/11

Family was in bottom income tier. 11/13 1st cousins dropped out of high school. First person in family to go to college. Currently work full time as a honors/AP chem teacher at a medical prep school. Taking classes (orgo,physics,calc) full time in the evenings. Sleep is for the weak ;)

Married to the most awesome guy in the world. 100% support. Wouldn't be here without him.

Pushed myself for summa cum laude graduation 2008. Strong upward trend. Spent the past 2 years (postbacc) taking prereq and trying to repair sgpa from horrific year a decade ago. Still not much luck with that, despite all As and 1 B. Took MCAT last weekend (4/10). Applying this cycle to 16 schools. Lots of praying for admission committee mercy and foot in the door interviews. Hoping strong ECs and URM (in a wheelchair) helps a bit :thumbup:

Strong upward trend. Spent the past 2 years (postbacc) taking prereq and trying to repair sgpa from horrific year a decade ago.

Wow, I can really relate to that. I had one horrible year at the beginning of college - and as luck would have it, they happened to be mostly science courses. Despite the fact that the "too late" withdrawals were for a very good reason, it seems that it will present a significant hurdle when it comes to applications.

33 years old. GPA is 4.0 for post bacc work so far, 3.46 for cumulative undergrad (also graduated cum laude from a great law school, but cum laude means something totally different in law school than it does for undergrad), though the final 2.5 years of college were at 3.8 or better. Transcript says current overall cGPA is 3.6, but the AMCAS calculator I used said 3.45 instead - kind of a big difference! No MCAT yet, as I'm deciding between this year and next year.

Worked as a lawyer for quite a while, so people assume finances aren't a problem - but the effective tax rate was through the roof! So, basically, I'm just like anybody else in that I have debt and am trying to figure out how to make it work while also being smart about the timing.

Single, currently living with family - and lucky to have the most incredible and supportive family one could have! Not sure that prospects for a potential relationship are better in medicine (aren't they both 100+ hour work weeks?!) but at least being fulfilled and finally going after the dream you've had since you were a child should bring better things. :D

Strongly leaning towards taking the extra year and continuing to get A's in the final course (O-Chem) and doing the best I can on the MCAT (which will potentially be helped by a couple of additional biology courses). Tough to consider delaying things, but on the other hand, I think most of us will be working into our 70s, so that means I'll have almost 30 years to make a career after getting through residency even if I wait another year. It's worth it to get the career you want, no? :)

I am 28. Undergrad cGPA around 2.8, sGPA below 2.3. Post-bac GPA 4.0, full time. MCAT 40S.

Successful professionally, now I don't have to work.

Single.

I think the answer, as a nontraditional applicant with a bad academic background, is to accomplish two things: 1. go above and beyond to prove your academic ability, and 2. give them a reason to take you instead of the gunner premed. I worked hard to prove that my undergraduate habits are behind me, and I really think the value of having outside experience beyond the scope of what any premed can do can make a nontrad stand out.

I am applying this summer to around 30 schools, including many "reaches." I think that if my record is enough to give someone pause and want to bring me in for an interview, I will be able to win them over in person. (crossed fingers)

3 "I have trodden the winepress alone;
from the nations no one was with me.
I trampled them in my anger
and trod them down in my wrath;
their blood spattered my garments,
and I stained all my clothing.

4 For the day of vengeance was in my heart,
and the year of my redemption has come."

--Isaiah 63

Dang son. You brought fire the second time.

Good luck then.

I like your username. It's funny. BTW, I wrote my mission statement today in order to help screen out MD and DO schools. I felt all <<giggle>> powerful and stuff and used an important font...

Yes, I wrote my own mission statement. Now, I am too big to fail. It actually helps me narrow down school selections - if they don't match my mission statement, they get a rejection letter. I mean email. Sent by my assistant. lol.

Moo

Last edited:
Are you a guy? Cause Im looking for someone rich who can take care of themselves and has ambitious goals for their future... lol. Send me your picture and maybe we can talk...

Moo

I am 28. Undergrad cGPA around 2.8, sGPA below 2.3. Post-bac GPA 4.0, full time. MCAT 40S.

Successful professionally, now I don't have to work.

Single.

I think the answer, as a nontraditional applicant with a bad academic background, is to accomplish two things: 1. go above and beyond to prove your academic ability, and 2. give them a reason to take you instead of the gunner premed. I worked hard to prove that my undergraduate habits are behind me, and I really think the value of having outside experience beyond the scope of what any premed can do can make a nontrad stand out.

I am applying this summer to around 30 schools, including many "reaches." I think that if my record is enough to give someone pause and want to bring me in for an interview, I will be able to win them over in person. (crossed fingers)

Are you a guy? Cause Im looking for someone rich who can take care of themselves and has ambitious goals for their future... lol. Send me your picture and maybe we can talk...

Moo

Dear Mooshi....Shika...Moomoo...Moodizzle,

Conveniently, I am looking for an anonymous internet girlfriend with completely variable and undetermined real-life physical attributes. I believe you may fit the bill. Though, since I am verifiably the rare commodity, being of the non-working, 40 MCAT earning type, and my experience on the internet leads me to believe there is a myriad of easy, local singles READY to MEET, you may be the more common resource. Therefore, any such pictures should be sent my way.

Regards,
AnonymousGuyUsingFancyWerds

You are funny about the long hours. My former/current occupation has also always involved long hours so not much will change. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Looks like you managed to actually do fairly well the first time in undergrad. You may have more luck than me, or for that matter, more luck than most non-traditional applicants since many many many of us have difficult GPA's to overcome from the first time around...

I also AGREE with you completely about the career length and keeping that in perspective. You are wise not to rush.

Good luck!

Moo

Wow, I can really relate to that. I had one horrible year at the beginning of college - and as luck would have it, they happened to be mostly science courses. Despite the fact that the "too late" withdrawals were for a very good reason, it seems that it will present a significant hurdle when it comes to applications.

33 years old. GPA is 4.0 for post bacc work so far, 3.46 for cumulative undergrad (also graduated cum laude from a great law school, but cum laude means something totally different in law school than it does for undergrad), though the final 2.5 years of college were at 3.8 or better. Transcript says current overall cGPA is 3.6, but the AMCAS calculator I used said 3.45 instead - kind of a big difference! No MCAT yet, as I'm deciding between this year and next year.

Worked as a lawyer for quite a while, so people assume finances aren't a problem - but the effective tax rate was through the roof! So, basically, I'm just like anybody else in that I have debt and am trying to figure out how to make it work while also being smart about the timing.

Single, currently living with family - and lucky to have the most incredible and supportive family one could have! Not sure that prospects for a potential relationship are better in medicine (aren't they both 100+ hour work weeks?!) but at least being fulfilled and finally going after the dream you've had since you were a child should bring better things. :D

Strongly leaning towards taking the extra year and continuing to get A's in the final course (O-Chem) and doing the best I can on the MCAT (which will potentially be helped by a couple of additional biology courses). Tough to consider delaying things, but on the other hand, I think most of us will be working into our 70s, so that means I'll have almost 30 years to make a career after getting through residency even if I wait another year. It's worth it to get the career you want, no? :)

Last edited:
First of all, I really like your last record.

Thank you for this, and for the suggestions re the AMCAS. I plan to have it proof read, so if you are up for the job I would be pleased to hear from you.

Hot yoga! B**ram? Good stuff. I do Ashtanga as taught by the now late Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, India, have done a good bit of yoga teaching. Last place I taught I had several residents from the local hospital/medical school in the class. Ashtanga and B**ram tend to attract type A's. I have noticed this as an obvious trend in the student body.

I also learned Tai Yoga Massage Therapy there in Mysore as well as apprenticed at an allo/ayurvedic clinic where the Doc uses hands-on therapy, nutrition, yoga therapy as well as traditional medicine to treat patients.

Ashtanga yoga changed everything. Was seminal inspiration for medical school pursuit. I also recite Sanskrit. Its fun. As far as audio references, check out the Shastry Brothers of Bangalore for some good Sanskrit recitation/chanting. They are my favorite.

Moo

Very interesting background you have. I have 2 items for your consideration:

1. When you are crafting your AMCAS application make sure your write really good entries about all the different things you do/have done. I think this is an underestimated part of the application that if narrated well, like you've done here, could turn some heads.

2. You won't believe this. But there's a song by this East Bay band called D.O.G. About a dog named Izzy. It follows his adventures getting thrown into the pound and rescued by his friend--the singer. The name of the band is The Fat Foakland Orchestra. It's a funny song. Here's to songs about dogs named Izzy.

I practice hot yoga. And I hear you. It completely reshaped how I view health and its maintenance.

Last edited:
First of all, I really like your last record.

Thank you for this, and for the suggestions re the AMCAS. I plan to have it proof read, so if you are up for the job I would be pleased to hear from you.

Hot yoga! B**ram? Good stuff. I do Ashtanga as taught by the now late Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, India, have done a good bit of yoga teaching. Last place I taught I had several residents from the local hospital/medical school in the class. Ashtanga and B**ram tend to attract type A's. I have noticed this as an obvious trend in the student body.

I also learned Tai Yoga Massage Therapy there in Mysore as well as apprenticed at an allo/ayurvedic clinic where the Doc uses hands-on therapy, nutrition, yoga therapy as well as traditional medicine to treat patients.

Ashtanga yoga changed everything. Was seminal inspiration for medical school pursuit. I also recite Sanskrit. Its fun. As far as audio references, check out the Shastry Brothers of Bangalore for some good Sanskrit recitation/chanting. They are my favorite.

Moo

Cool.

But typical American @sshole here. I don't know too much about the other aspects of yoga beyond it's use for developing the physical strength flexibility and for pain resistance. But suits me that way. Bikram. Yeah. All the little type A's.

I'd be happy to help with grammar and a some-dude-on-the-corner's idea of sentence variety. Other than that. I'm of no use.

Thing is. My success was quite modest by ratio of applications--although I did by some fluke get into to one of my top three choices. There are some people here who got in 2013 and maybe some others this cycle who seem to have really killed it even with lower gpa's. Those are the people who know what type content and style is most effective en masse.

I should really not make any claims as to how things are achieved in this game. I was only telling myself against all doubt that I could do it. And got lucky. It occurs to me now. That is no formula for success. Only a recipe for the willful denial of common sense.

I even got lucky enough to get some pro bono work through an sdn raffle for editing services. It made a huge difference. Mededits is the outfit. Others here have recommended Judy Calwell--sp?

PM me anytime for any reason.

25 years, currently 2.1 GPA. No MCAT yet.
I make <$10/hour as a full time transporter in an ER.
My family and I are...we'll say estranged. I have a girlfriend that I care for a great deal. We have each other and our friends for a support group.
I'm going to retake every course I haven't gotten an A in (which, needless to say, is quite a few), do exceptionally well in my science and math premed courses and do whatever is necessary to get a stellar MCAT score. Hopefully the adcoms look at what is essentially going to be a complete 180 with an upward trend in my GPA over the next 2.5 years. Wish me luck! :)

26, but turning 27 in a couple months. MCAT scores are 36 & 40.

Financial situation is fine. My husband is an attorney and I have a pretty great job as a writer (actually make more than my attorney husband). I hope to have at least 2 years worth of med school tuition in savings before I enroll.

I am married and have twin boys - both in preschool. The *great* thing about living in Manhattan is that my son's preschool tuition is the same as tuition at SUNY - downstate. So, it's going to be a rough few years!

My cGPA is only 2.94, though I am currently enrolled and hope to have a 3.04 by the end of the summer session. I do have a 3.81/4.0 sGPA, so I hope that helps me out a bit. I am trying to decide what my next move should be. I have a joint Economics & Chemistry BA already.

23, but turning 24 in October. Took MCAT on 5/1/10, and hoping to have some really great news come 6/1/10, God willing.:xf:

I work a full-time job, and make 24K a year (It's Student Affairs, plus I am just grateful to have a job in this economy :soexcited:). I contribute majority of my income to my family and eat out a lot :laugh:, so I normally have almost $0 left in my bank account at the end of two weeks.

Family includes my dad, mom, and sister. All are amazingly supportive, and I would not be here without them :biglove:. No significant other...yet.;)

I have a 3.47 cGPA/ 3.37sGPA, so I am definitely on the lower side of the average GPA. However, my plan is to ace the MCAT (I know, I am stating the obvious here :laugh:), and apply early and broadly :thumbup:. I hope to have my AMCAS verified by mid-July, and then turn over secondaries within 1.5 weeks. And then wow the admissions commitee during interviews :D.

My goal is to hold an acceptance from a medical school by the end of the year, God willing.:xf::luck:

So, I originally did not think my GPA was low enough to be featured in this thread. However, there are quite a few people with higher GPAs than me that have posted here. I find if hard to call a GPA at 3.5 or higher, a "low" GPA. I even find the stats of the OP to not fit the bill of "low."

To me a low GPA is someone with at least a sub-3.3. Above that, anywhere from 3.4-3.8, you have a middle of the road GPA imho.

Last edited:
Im 23, 24 at the end of the month...no MCAT, although i get MCAT practice questions emailed to me every day.

Ive been struggling to find a job since graduating last year. Just started landscaping, looking for job number 2.
My mom, dad and girlfriend. My parents have their doubts, all though they support me it took some convincing. They want me to do computers but my passion is neurology and helping people.
I started my post bacc in the spring and just finished a few days ago. I started with a cGpa of 2.32 and sGPA of 1.57ish. After getting an A and a B i have a cGPA of 2.5 and sGPA of 2.65. Im taking Physics I and Chem II this summer and I am learning how to really study so I can get all As (The semester ended on sun and I have begun reading and taking notes. I cant get enough of this stuff). I plan on retaking classes I did poorly in, 4 -6, which should boost my GPA about .4 points with all As. Im proud that I did well, although it was only two classes. I know with a 4.0 and eventually acceptance to LECOM-B i would be elated. I think about how it would feel every day and I am excited for it to come.

I hope to you all the best. I've been out of undergrad for 12 years and just finished my pre-req. Am schedule to take the MCAT tomorrow. Been a full time ICU/ER RN for 12 years. Got out of an abusive marriage and believe that becoming a doctor would be my pay back to society. As you already, you see too much and want to make the world better. Good luck!! Best wished from Virginia

1. Age: 25 cGPA: 2.5 sGPA: 2.8 No MCAT yet.

2. Currently working as a Lab Tech at a D.O. Medical School.

3. Single. Have been supporting myself financially since I was 18.

4. I am using the tuition reimbursement program through my job to retake my lowest grade classes. The reimbursement program allows me to take two classes per semester including the summer session. With grade replacement, I should have an acceptable GPA for D.O. schools in two years.

I am also hoping that I can work my connections at the school where I am employed to leverage an acceptance before the two years is up. My PI and the two other doctors that I collaborate with are part of the admissions committee for the Medical School. They are big fans of my decision to attend Medical School

I didnt realize I wanted to be a doctor until I had my 2nd baby. The difference in my 2 ob/gyns made me realize how important it was to have the right person involved with your pregnancy.

cGPC 2.51 - Final year GPA was 3.67. For first 3 years, had severe medical conditions that are now managed medically.
MCAT: Expected Aug 2011
About to declare bankrupcy. Calculated it would take 10+ years to pay off debt with no sick days, holidays, and working a part time job on top of regular work. Laid off while on maternity leave. Work full time at a job I don't enjoy, pays less and has fewer benefits than previous one.
Married, 2 young kids.
My preferred school looks at the entire school career, but calculates based on best 2 years. Plan: Have started volunteering as a birth partner for women in need. Declare bankrupcy and quit part time job. Study for MCAT using MIT OpenCourseWare and textbooks. Got 30P on AAMC practice exam under timed conditions. Another year should have me ready for the exam. Following that, will take a full time course load as GPA booster. This will be paid for by my company. Will apply (may not get in). Take another year of FT course load as GPA booster, Paid again by company. Apply again. My third and final (hopefully) application cycle, I will also apply to Caribbean schools as well (only ROSS and SGU). Will need a cosigner for loans if I end up in the Caribbean, but MD>>noMD. As well, 4 years post bankrupcy should help credit rating. :xf:

OK, I'll play!

I'm 32, submitting AMCAS in about a week! :xf:

GPA: 2.94 sGPA and 3.27 cGPA, thanks to 3 Incomplete-to-Fs from my first freshman year at college 15 years ago. One of which I didn't even know about until a few weeks ago. If only I didn't have those F-bombs, my GPA would be 3.43 sGPA and 3.55 cGPA. :(

MCAT: I got an unbalanced 34Q with a 13 in Verbal. Still contemplating re-taking because I didn't spend adequate time preparing for PS and BS, but I'm applying for now with what I've got.

Pretty good, I've had a great 13 year IT career working for a hospital, own a house, etc. It does make it harder to relocate, though.

Engaged to a vintage trolley/streetcar motorman who lives 10 minutes from UCSF and cannot relocate. Wish he could've picked an easier school to live by!

Spent most of my 20s financially recovering and legally advocating for my mom after my dad fled to Mexico and left everyone up ****-creek 15 years ago. Left me and several siblings thousands each in debt, Mom was left with foreclosure, a half-million dollars of tax evasion, and limited earning potential after 25 years as a homemaker/SAHM. Yeah, those freshman Fs are definitely related to this situation.

Solid ECs: 250 hrs community service, 250 hours clinical volunteering, 550 hours clinical research volunteering.
Good LORs: I'm using my undergrad's committee letter service and believe I have a pretty strong set of LORs.
Upward Trend: Everything I've done academically in the last 5 years getting my bachelor's is pretty good. There are some oddballs here and there (OK, maybe taking Mandarin at the same time as OChem wasn't the brightest idea!) but no serious academic blemishes.
Applying Early: Just waiting for Spring Term grades which come out next Wednesday, then my 5th transcript will be ready to send and I can submit.
Personal Statement: Doing everything I can to make this as polished as possible. I've gotten some incredibly helpful feedback from readers so far.

I'm doing a specifically targeted application cycle this year, based on my personal situation. I'm only applying to two schools this year: UCSF, and OHSU. UCSF is an incredible longshot, and I can only hope they don't screen me out on numbers and look at me holistically. I've heard they like quirky eclectic freaky people, though, so maybe I really do have a chance! :p

The key twist to this story is that OHSU is famous for liking reapplicants, something like 30% of their matriculating class are re-apps. If the UCSF miracle doesn't happen, I would also be extremely happy to be able to stay in Portland and not have to sell/rent my house. If I end up getting rejected by these two schools, next year I'll reapply to OHSU and also add a dozen+ other schools. I'd rather spend another year if it greatly improves my chances of being able to stay in Portland.

1) Age, GPA and MCAT
I'm 30 years old. Undergraduate degree in physics at a good school, with a GPA of 3.07, BCMP 2.96. Just finished a one year postbacc program, where I got a 4.0, bringing my cumulative GPA up to 3.19, BCPM 3.17.

I should get my MCAT scores in two weeks. Based on the official practice MCATs, I'm expecting low 40's. No idea about writing sample.

2) Financial and work situation
I worked for a few years in bio-related research and then programming before joining the Peace Corps. After that I did this postbacc program. Am now pretty broke. I'm getting help with tuition from my family, and will be working for the next year doing antibiotic research. I'm hoping to live as frugally as possible and save as much of that income as I can.

3) I'm living with my girlfriend, who will probably apply to med school the year after me.

4) I'm smart, good at science, and a hard worker. As an undergrad, however I was immature, a bit flaky, and wasn't focused on grades. One main goal I need to accomplish is to convince adcoms that this has changed. My postbac 4.0 and (hopefully) good MCAT scores should be a good step in this direction. My cumulative scores are still quite low by med school standards. As a science major, though, I have so many accumulated BCPM credits that it would be extremely difficult to really move the average by taking further classes.
My biocomp research work should look good, and Peace Corps is a pretty solid service commitment. I shadowed at some hospitals in Africa, but have no real experience in an American clinical setting. That's my other main weakness. Unfortunately, I'm submitting my AMCAS application in a few weeks, and won't have time to do much about that.
LORs from postbac professors are expected to be great. Also have a mediocre LOR from an undergrad professor, a good one from my Peace Corps supervisor, and a good one from a professor I've worked with in research.

I keep feeling like I have to do more to prove myself.

UPDATE:
MCAT scores are in. 42R - 12VR/15PS/15BS/RWS. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Last edited:
22 Years old 1.875 with 20 credit hours. No MCAT

I am a full-time substitute teacher and student so i'm broke.

Have been married for 3 years and Have a 3 year old son. Iplayed college basketball my first semester of college but dropped out after first semester. Took off for a year and one semester tried to go back that next summer lost interest and quit again. Went again the following fall 2007 and actually finished the semester but failed two classes ending with a 2.3 g.p.a. Did not go back until spring of 2009 started January off great then broke both arms in february and was in a chair for 2 months both forearms were shatterd and instead of taking an incomplete I tried to salvage my grades big mistake. Ended bad and ended up with a 1.5 and took one summer class to bring it to a 1.875.

I have now got my head clear, and i'm motivated to get my academic life squared away. I'm currently enrolled in 15 hours and am 3 weeks away from getting straight A's and bringing my GPA all the way up to a 2.5. I will continue on this path and finish what I started 5 years ago.

Hey, keep at it and don't give up! You will definitely get there! =)

Here is my scenario

Undergrad GPA= 2.7
Grad GPA= 3.3
Science classes I have taken so far

Chem 1 B
Chem 2 B
Bio 1 B+
Physics 1 B+
Physics 2 C+

I have been working as a financial analyst so far. Have done some volunteering off and on but not too much.

I still have to take science courses.

Please guide me accordingly so that I can tailor my studies and my experience accordingly and land some where in about a year or so.

If I need some shadowing and volunteering tell me what kind and how. The classes I should take and the schools that I should have on my list .

Thanks

Here is my scenario

Undergrad GPA= 2.7
Grad GPA= 3.3
Science classes I have taken so far

Chem 1 B
Chem 2 B
Bio 1 B+
Physics 1 B+
Physics 2 C+

I have been working as a financial analyst so far. Have done some volunteering off and on but not too much.

I still have to take science courses.

Please guide me accordingly so that I can tailor my studies and my experience accordingly and land some where in about a year or so.

If I need some shadowing and volunteering tell me what kind and how. The classes I should take and the schools that I should have on my list .

Thanks

Give us some more info. What did you do in grad school or what are you doing in grad school if you're not yet done. What kind of volunteering have you done (clinical vs. community-based). Are you interested in MD, DO or both? If you're not sure look through the forum for info on both options.

From a precursory look, your GPA requires quite a bit of repair, the 3.3 in grad school will not be of much help as schools care about undergrad first and foremost. Any undergrad coursework you attempt from here on out MUST be A level work. I would even advise retaking the C+ from physics. You might be able to get away with the B's, but if you're considering DO you could retake those courses as well and benefit from their grade replacement policy (look into this for details), but no such luck w/ MD schools. In addition to finishing the pre-med requirements you might want to do upper level science courses. Getting good grades in those will def. help your app. Long story short, you'll need to spend quite a bit of time on GPA rehab. I'd focus on this first as it will be the hardest part to do.