Low GPA Plans for Success (Posts by Premeds Not Yet Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like this thread!

GPA: a lousy 2.96 from UVM with a B.S. in Animal Science

Financial: currently unemployed but will be working for AmeriCorps as a health coach starting next month (Nov)

Long term committed relationship.. will get married somewhere down the line when we have things more figured out!

My *potential* plan is to work for this year for AmeriCorps and some other PT work, as well as to volunteer at one of the local hospitals couple times a week. Hopefully by next fall I will be able to attend the local university (UMaine) and to do a do it yourself post bacc by retaking some of the science classes I screwed up in and to take higher levels to beef up my GPA more. I also want to take a MCAT prep course if I can manage the funds for it. I might also see if the pre-health professions committee at UMaine can maybe help me get involved with some research for a summer, just to get more clinical experience. If my stats are still not the greatest after all of this, I'm going to try to do a SMP. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. 23; GPA of .64 (more on that later)
2. Navy vet jobless.
3. Married renting from her father struggling for the month to month.
4. At the moment my cGPA is a .64 this is due to some SEVERE slacking after high school. Joined the Navy. Honorably discharged from the Navy. Using GI Bill to attend school again. Slowly resurrecting that cGPA hoping to hit 3.0+ after BS in Psychology is complete. I am finishing my first year. Other than that I am volunteering everywhere I can. Joining almost every club I can that is relevant. And I am truly hoping I get chosen to do the Walt Disney Internship.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.

I am 33. I received a BS from a T20 private UG (GPA 3.25). I am currently in the JD program at a T20 law school (GPA 3.79, Law Review, etc.). I have an official MCAT score of 32, but that was many years ago. Since then, I have taught MCAT biology, organic chemistry, and verbal reasoning for five years at a major test prep company, so I think high 30s, possibly even 40 is realistic. (I scored in the 99th %ile on the LSAT, so I expect my MCAT score to be the biggest strength of my application.)

2. Your financial and work situation.

I am currently a 2L in law school. Although I am not making as much money as could if I were working full time, I have a full-tuition scholarship, so I'm not incurring much debt.

3. Your family and significant other situation.

I have a daughter who is 10. Her mother and I separated many years ago.

4. Your plan or your path to success.

My original intention was to attend medical school, but my GPA hurt my applications. I am hoping that my test-taking skills and my success in law school will carry some weight with the medical school admissions committees. I will probably have some attractive employment options coming out of law school, but my heart was always set on medical school.

Good luck everyone. I am enjoying the forum, and I look forward to the trials and tribulations of medical school admissions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Age is 23, undergrad gpa is 3.1 sgpa is 2.7 MCAT: 15L & 17L
2. Unemployed but will start a govt contract job next week
3. Family is going thru some mortgage issues and my help is vastly needed
4. Applied to SIU MEDPREP [praying i get in]

cGPA: 2.7
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: not yet

Unemployed living on loans and GI Bill.

Married with two children.

Have about 100 credits from my past to get repairing. May take a while but plan to just keep on trekking. Hoping to be able to utilize the DO grade replacement. If only I could go back in time and slap myself silly!

23 and no MCAT taken yet. I plan to take it in between my junior and senior year most likely.
I make $30k a year working Mon-Fri in an operating room as a Surgical Services Assistant. I receive Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits. I currently receive a small amount of financial aid money and I have not taken any loans out yet.
I am married with no children.
This is a long story. Here is where I am at:

I graduated high school in 2005 and attended a Central Arizona College in Arizona which gave me an academic scholarship. I had a shaky high school career and did not take high level science and math courses. In my first semester in Fall of 2005 my courses/grades were:
Eng 101(3 credit hours)-B
Psy 101(3 credit hours)-A
Phi 112(world religions 3 credit hours)-A
Mat 091(introductory algebra 4 credit hours)-C
Ecn 201(macro 3 credit hours)-W(I was unable to balance the course load)
Semester GPA: 3.15
Honors List

I withdrew from Spring semester 2006 and my courses/grades were:
Bio 156(4 credit hours)-W
HOC 125(CNA course 6 credit hours)-WF(missed a few classes and missed one day of clinicals due to strep throat)
NTR 104(nutrition 3 credit hours)-W
Semester GPA: 0.00
Cumulative at this school: 2.16

I signed a unique reserve contract with the United States Navy and was on active duty from September 2006-July 2007 for Basic Training, Naval Hospital Corpsman "A" school, temporary duty Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, and Field Medical Service School "C" school. I was then transferred to the Navy Reserve and re-started school in January 2008 spring semester at Chandler-Gilbert Community College in Arizona. My courses/grades were:
Eng 102(3 credit hours)-A
Mat 121(intermediate algebra 4 credit hours)-B
Psy 230(intro to stats,3 credit hours)-W(withdrew from switching career choice from goal of Nurse Practitioner to Physician after deciding it wasn't too late for me and that I had what it takes to be a doctor.)
Semester GPA: 3.429

Fall 2008 courses/grades:
Bio 181(1 of 3 for Bio major 4 credit hours)-A
Glg 110(environmental/geological disasters 4 credit hours)-C
Mat 187(pre-calc 5 credit hours)-D(re-taking at Bellevue College which will replace this course with my planned grade of an A)
Pos 223(civil rights 3 credit hours)-B
Semester GPA: 2.375
Cumulative at this school: 2.696

I re-located from Arizona to Washington State in December 2008. I did not attend school immediately due to being classified as a non-resident and could not afford it. I was involuntarily recalled to active duty from July 2009-Aug 2010. I went to Afghanistan with a Marine Corps unit as their Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman. Upon returning I am now considered a resident due to my military service and maintaing an address here for 1 year. I am now attending Bellevue College and my current courses/grades are:
Mat 099(placed into intermediate 6 credit hours)-class ends Dec 8 currently have a B in course possible to get an A
Chem 161(1 of 3 for Bio major 6 credit hours)- class ends Dec 8 currently have a B in course possible to get an A

When switching from Semester to Quarters there was a difference in calculating credits and I currently have 45 credits of all the courses listed above applied to my Associate in Science Transfer Degree to University of Washington. A sophomore is considered to have 44-90 credits. All my elective slots have been used due to having to make up lower level math and catch up on science courses. I do not currently have a Bellevue College GPA as this is my first quarter there. I have buckled down and am focusing on maintaining my 4.0sgpa and raising my cumulative.

My plan for Bellevue College is as follows:
Fall 2010
Mat 099(intermediate algebra 6 credit hours)
Chem 161(1 of 3 for Bio major 6 credit hours)

Winter 2011
Mat 141(pre-calc 1 5 credit hours)
Chem 162( 2 of 3 for Bio major 6 credit hours)
Bio 211(1 of 3 for Bio major, even though I got an A in Bio 181 at CGCC and BC accepted the course I am re-taking to ensure I'm not lost by jumping right into Bio 212)

Spring 2011
Math 142(pre-calc 2 5 credit hours)
Chem 163(3 of 3 for Bio major 6 credit hours)
Bio 212( 2 of 3 for Bio major 6 credit hours)

Summer 2011
Math 151(calc 1 5 credit hours)
Phy 114(physics 1 of 2 6 credit hours)

Fall 2011
Mat 152(calc 2 5 credit hours)
Bio 213(6 credit hours)
Phy 115(physics 2 of 2 6 credit hours)
(Apply to graduate BC)

Winter 2012
Mat 153(calc 3)
Quarter ends end of March
(Apply for UW transfer deadline 12/15/2011)
Planning on doing Bio Genome research which this school offers.

University of Washington
Spring 2012-2014(age 25-27)
I did not take foreign language and UW Seattle requires 3 quarters so I plan on taking 3 quarters of Spanish while there.
Graduate with BS in Bio and minor in either: chem, econ, or psych to broaden my academics and resume.
Planning on doing research here If I can.
MCAT- Prep for 4 months and take in between junior and senior year in 06/2013. Get scores back in 30 days. Apply to medical school after scores are received unless my score is low then re-take MCAT in the summer.

Medical School
Fall 2014-2018(age 27-31)
Fund with loans/financial aid/remainder of Post 9-11 GI Bill, HPSP(USN), FAP(USN), or USUHS(USN).
As of now leaning towards Surgery or Emergency Med.
Surgical Residency 5-7 years(age 31-36/38)
Emergency Med Residency 3-4 years(31-34/35)
Potentially change my mind multiple times before then which could change my plan.

Extra Curricular/volunteer work/medical experience:
Central Arizona College:
While attending this school I volunteered for my church with St. Marks Outreach Program(4 hours a week) and Habitat for Humanity(one build). I also worked as a Lifeguard at a community pool.

Chandler-Gilbert CC:
Philosophy Club

Bellevue College:
Psychology Club
Chemistry Club
Docs and Dents Club

Current Certs:
BLS/PALS/ACLS
CNA
ARMA
Expired Lifeguard, CPR, and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer

US Navy
Naval Hospital Corpsman "A" school
Hospital Corpsman Basic Skills course
Field Medical Service School
Combat Trauma Management course
Combat Lifesaver course
Combat Lifesaver instructor course
Combat deployment to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom
Worked at: Chicago VA hospital, Naval Hospital Great Lakes, Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, Naval Base Clinic San Diego, Medical Department Phoenix Reserve Center, Medical Department Everett Reserve Center.

(Should I be doing more extra-curricular or volunteer work even though I'm positive I want to become a doctor and work side by side with them and have worked in various healthcare positions? Do/will my life experiences make up for my shaky start if I finish real strong? I am posting in the "What are my chances thread?" as well)

I currently work in an operating room assisting surgical RN's, PA's, DO's, and MD's. I function as a scrub tech in a limited fashion, a central sterilization tech in a limited fashion, and a CNA certification is required to work there. I am also a RMA(registered medical assistant) with ARMA(American registry of medical assistants). I have also had a great deal of patient care in a clinical setting and on the battlefield in the Navy since 2006.

My goal is to get my cGPA and sGPA(currently is 4.0) as close to 4.0 as possible and shoot for a 30+ MCAT score and not attend a DO school. All input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Career changer, trying to do something more fulfilling with my life while I am still somewhat young.

Old. BS in Engineering cGPA 2.9 sGPA 2.9, no MCAT

willfully unemployed to go at this premed thing full time -- worked in the computer/semiconductor industry for ~15 years including papers at conferences in various roles from programming to design work to testing.

single

Starting an informal postbacc at the local university in January.
The plan is to retake all the pre-reqs, then the MCAT when it is done. Even with GPA repair, when all is said and done I probably will be in the 3.1 range, though it is hard to say since the original degree used the quarter system (at about 200 hours total for a bachelors) while the university here uses semester hours (at about 120 hours total for a bachelors).
I suppose after that if I dont get in anywhere I'll re-evaluate my options as I have more data.
Also planning to start volunteer/EC's in January as well so enjoying what "free time" I have before I go at it full time since I theoretically wont have any until I am officially accepted somewhere.

Last edited:
27 Years old, 3.1 cGPA 3.2 sGPA B.s. Environmental Economics; M.s. Environmental Science, 3.6 GPA.

Getting by financially working full-time, though I've been carrying debt since my undergrad days. Came from a family living in poverty with no support through college. Trying to pay that debt off while returning to school is challenging. The current job doesn't allow for full time study, and I don't qualify for much financial aid with it, so I plan to get a job with a hotshot fire crew while quitting my current, make a bucket of money over the summer to pay for the following school year, and cash in my 401k to pay off all debt.

3. Your family and S/O situation:
Single and independant

4. Path and plan for success:
Rehabilitate GPA through approximately 45 units of pre-reqs. If I carry a 4.0, I will raise my cGPA to 3.35 and my sGPA to approx 3.75

Currently volunteering nearly every bit of spare time I have; with Disabled Sports USA, teaching adaptive skiing to children and adults with disabilities, and tutoring disadvantaged/at risk youth at an after school community center.

Find an excellent in-hospital volunteer position to also gain clinical exposure in the community of the Med School I plan to attend. Shadow at the local, world renown orthopaedic center.

Crush the MCAT

Rock the interview

get accepted to local Med School

Become a surgeon

Awesome thread

20 years old, 2.8 GPA, No MCAT yet,

Fortunately, I am receiving enough money from my school to not worry about finances. I am financially dependent on my father right now but hope to become independent soon (need some cash for Vegas roadtrip)…..

Single - in case any ladies out there are interested…..

As of right now I have multiple plans and need time to see which path is the most feasible:

I have a year left of UG, and may consider transferring to another uni an spending an extra year to graduate even though I am a junior due to a plethora of reasons.

If I transfer: Take as many classes as I can and excel in them. Get more active EC wise (leadership, etc).

Rock the MCAT

Hoping to do research in public health in India after I graduate - hopefully Fulbright but will try to do it regardless.

Get a masters degree in cancer immunology

Get more shadowing hours in

Just want to point out that you're swimming around in the Non-Trad forum, since on first look you are a traditional future applicant.

Yea I realized that it was in the non-trad forum after I posted. My bad.

I am 37 years old, cGPA - unsure. Recent coursework - 33 credits with a 3.82 gpa. AMCAS gpa including couse work as of this moment is 2.2. If tomorrow is a good day, it will rise to 2.65. I have not taken the MCAT.

My GPA will be a little more cemented after a committee meeting tomorrow to hear a petition to retroactively withdraw from a semester worth of classes almost 20 years ago. Back in 1992, I was in CC when Hurricane Andrew hit, destroying my family home. I withdrew from the first semester because I was ferrying supplies home (I was going to school about a 6 hour drive away from home). The second semester I passed a couple of classes. The third and final semester at that particular school, I had to leave mid-way through because my grandmother fell critically ill, requiring my father to leave the state immediately to tend to her health. This left my mother to handle the rebuilding process. She was not able to cope with everything and was about to have a nervous breakdown when I was summoned home on a moments notice. I was not able to withdraw from my classes and I got four big fat "F's" on my transcript. I wrote my college career off at that point.

Fast forward to now, Due to the recession and having lost everything, I have become a full time student at 37. I started looking into whether or not I could do something about those grades, and I took a chance to petition that school for late withdraw (you never know unless you ask!). My petition was denied as they only hear cases within a years time of the semester in question. I appealed to the registrar of the school and she granted my request to waive the statute of limitations and my petition will be presented before the committee TOMORROW!!!! Fortunately, my mother is a pack rat and she had all kinds of paperwork from the storm including insurance paperwork showing over $100,000 dollars of damage to our house and estimates from contractors. The lady in the registrar's office says I have as good a chance as any as my documentation is worthy. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

If those grades are withdrawn, I still have some iffy grades from way back then, a few D's in non-science classes (I was NOT mature enough for college back then, but hey it was almost 20 years ago), at least my situation is much better and I could feasibly bring my AMCAS gpa up to 3.4 - 3.5 if I make no mistakes. If the committee says no, then the absolute best I can achieve is in the 3.1 - 3.2 range.
I had been in the construction supply business for 15 years after my failed attempt at college and had a decent career making great money! I have loads of management and leadership experience from this time. However, the when the economy went sour, so did my career. I was laid off at the end of 2007 and really had a hard time trying to get back on my feet. Nobody was hiring a construction supply manager/salesman without a college degree. I bounced around a few jobs, but couldn't get settled in. I lost my life savings, the house is in foreclosure, and I am filing my bankruptcy paperwork tomorrow (Not that I am complaining, I am just painting a picture). After getting laid off from my second job in 3 years, my family sat me down (wife, mother, and aunt) and they basically insisted that they were going to make some sacrifices and wanted me to go back to school full time. After taking some science courses, I am hooked into striving to become a doctor. I feel as if I am being called to it.
I am married to a wonderful woman, and we have a 3 year old son. This plan is mostly about ensuring my ability to provide for him.

Rehabilitate GPA with A's. Plain and simple. I am bright and hardworking and there is no doubt in my mind that I can do it. I was always interested in science, but was never sucked into like I am now. I can't get enough and am taking to it like a duck to water. I will lock myself in a cave for 3 months or so to prepare for the MCAT when the time comes. I will be considered a sophomore at the end of this semester, so I have some time. I start volunteering next week. I have family doctors who are encouraging me like crazy and pledge their support with shadowing, LOR's, etc. They have said they will go to bat for me in whatever way they can. It is people like them who inspire me in this field.

Sorry this is so long. I have been a lurker for some time and have been waiting for the right time to get this off my chest. I am thankful for this site because it shows me just how hard the road is going to be, and gives me a crystal clear idea of how hard I will have to work. I WILL be posting my success story in 2 years or so, lol!
user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I found this forum

Hang in there nontrads… show the adcom your perseverance!

Last edited:
1)

UPDATE:
MCAT scores are in. 42R - 12VR/15PS/15BS/RWS. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

42R? REALLY? HOW?! I am so so so so jealous of you right now... :p

33 years old. Started with a 3.12/4.0 uGPA two years ago with a couple calc classes (an A and a B+) and the first quarter of gen chem, in which I earned a C.
After 50+ post bacc credits, including all the pre-reqs, I brought my cGPA up to 3.67/4.0 for AACOMAS and an sGPA of 4.0/4.0. Not sure what AMCAS will calculate it to be. AACOMAS gave me a grade replacement of gen chem (an A for the C) but that's it.

Ended a full-time writing career in 2009 and began pursuing post bacc classes with a grant and lived off severance and unemployment benefits through 2010. Now getting by with occasional freelance work, a part-time job as an office assistant, renting out rooms in my house, and putting things like my Kaplan class on a credit card. Yeeouch.

Single

-250+ volunteer hours in an ER in which I actually get to do cool stuff
-Studying like crazy to get a 30+ MCAT score in July (recently took my first AAMC practice test #8 and scored a 29)
-Applying broadly

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it
34 years old.
2.33 :( - undergraduate (B.S. in Biology)/4.0 :) - graduate (M.A. in Teaching)
Haven't taken the MCAT
Currently working full-time as a science teacher
3. Your family and significant other situation:
Single
I will finish my masters this summer and seek the help of a non-traditional premed advisor. I plan to follow the suggestions given by her and hopefully get into a MD program in the southeastern region of the U.S.

cGPA: 2.7
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: not yet

Unemployed living on loans and GI Bill.

Married with two children.

Have about 100 credits from my past to get repairing. May take a while but plan to just keep on trekking. Hoping to be able to utilize the DO grade replacement. If only I could go back in time and slap myself silly!
I'm in about the same situation as you as far as education goes.

cGPA: 2.0
sGPA: 2.0
MCAT: Not yet

Working full time as a medical assistant and still in the Navy Reserve.

Engaged.

Same as above. Retake a bunch of classes and kick my self in the arse! Plan on going to DO school. I work with a bunch of great DO's and they have been giving me some encouragement!

I'm 33. My GPA is somewhere around 3.2 I have no mcat yet and haven't taken any pre-reqs.

I just started my new job working as a hospice aide. My fiance is in engineering school and won't graduate for at least two years. We are really lucky because we don't have to pay any rent (we live in a place his parents own).

3. Your family and significant other situation
I went through a divorce about 6 years ago, but now I am engaged. I have two boys, ages 9 and 11.

Up my gpa by starting with the basic science classes that are needed to take the pre-reqs. I figure that a solid foundation of math and science will help me get good grades in the pre-regs, and give me a good chance at a decent mcat score. I was an English major, so I need to do a little catching up in math/science. I am in no hurry here! I also plan to use my experiences as a hospice aide to help me answer "why medicine" and get a good feel for what it is like to work with people from all walks of life. I will need to somehow come up with a whopping 500+ hours of community service (the school I really want "in" at looks for massive amounts of volunteer hours) so I need to figure out 1. what I am interested in and 2. what type of activities are looked upon favorably by the school I want and 3. what would be a meaningful experience that would help me gain knowledge that would be useful as a future medical student and physician. I need to be very focused and meeting as many of the qualities and characteristics of students typically accepted at this one med school because I am unable to relocate.

Last edited:

UG cGPA- 2.68 :eek:
MCAT- not yet, but the free online AAMC one gave me a 24 when I did it cold (6PS, 6BS, 12VR)

Currently in S Korea teaching English to a bunch of little f--, I mean, high school students. Saving money here, as they pay fairly well, to cover the cost of post-bacc studies. Comfortable financially for now and the immediate future (with careful managing of finances), though I still have a big chunk of UG debt to pay off, but no other financial issues.

3. Your family and significant other situation

Married, no kids yet (though potentially they will be had along the way), moving to Upstate NY, after we finish our contracts in KR, to be near his parents as M-in-law has recurrent cancer.

The plan:
  • Get the F*** out of KR
  • Do the pre-reqs (all of them- I have a philosophy BA) with all As. Hopefully :xf: bring the cGPA a hair's-breadth over 3.0 to get past the admissions computer screenings.
  • MCAT- rock it's socks off
  • At the same time do some more volunteering and shadowing (have some already, but not much in recent years)
  • Apply
  • Get accepted;)
  • Long-term goal: Pathology

At the moment I'm pre-reading for the pre-reqs (to ensure those As) and researching schools. Some days it feels awfully weird to picture myself as the student again, instead of the teacher (after 5 years of teaching), though my study habits have certainly improved because of it. Thankfully the chemistry is starting to come back to me (haven't looked at it since high school). Hopefully the Physics will make more sense the second time around.

The hubby is super supportive and plans to go back to school himself (for a Music PhD) so we're both is similar boats, trying to transition back into the student role, though in totally separate fields. However, it will limit the field of potential schools to apply to when the time comes, what with needing to go somewhere with a good music school nearby (and vice-versa for him). Part of the compromise of marriage though :)

29 yrs old.

Before post bacc:

AMCAS: cGPA 2.75 sGPA 3.11 AACOMAS: cGPA 3.07 sGPA 3.25 TMDSAS: cGPA 2.79 sGPA 3.23

Post bacc:
4.00 GPA 17cr (and counting!)

Current:

AMCAS: cGPA 2.85 sGPA 3.17 AACOMAS: cGPA 3.32 sGPA 3.28 TMDSAS: cGPA 2.88 sGPA 3.25

Target after 60 more credits (2yrs) for my second degree and enrolling under Fresh Start in Texas:
AMCAS: cGPA 3.0-3.1 sGPA 3.5 AACOMAS: cGPA 3.4-3.5 sGPA 3.5-3.6 TMDSAS: cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.5-3.6

Just quit working as an engineer to go back to school full time, still have undergrad debt.

Married, wife works full time

I did poorly in college out of high school due to numerous medical issues and immaturity, rarely attending: 43 credits of 0.9 GPA! After getting healthy I worked as a mechanic for a couple years and then decided to go back to school and chose engineering. I had a 3.3 (which was high in my class!) and worked in the automotive industry for several years. Through volunteer work I discovered my love of medicine and decided to go for it.

I retook some old classes and started to explore the biological sciences while working full time during my post bacc and am now going back to school full time to get my second bachelor's degree, which will take about 60 credits. Next year I will enroll under Fresh Start and see a nice bump in my GPA. I am also continuing to volunteer and will take next summer to prepare for the MCAT before applying in 2013 to 15-30 DO and MD schools.

Target after 60 more credits (2yrs) for my second degree and enrolling under Fresh Start in Texas:
AMCAS: cGPA 3.0-3.1 sGPA 3.5 AACOMAS: cGPA 3.4-3.5 sGPA 3.5-3.6 TMDSAS: cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.5-3.6

schools.

Hey TwinsFan,

I have a question for you. I realize that I need to complete 90 units after I am enrolled in Texas Fresh Start. Can I transfer 60 of the post-bach credits that I did for the past 1.5 years after I am enrolled in Texas Fresh Start? I don't want to spend 3 more years to get 90 units before I can apply.

Hey TwinsFan,

I have a question for you. I realize that I need to complete 90 units after I am enrolled in Texas Fresh Start. Can I transfer 60 of the post-bach credits that I did for the past 1.5 years after I am enrolled in Texas Fresh Start? I don't want to spend 3 more years to get 90 units before I can apply.

To my understanding all credits from 10 years or less will be retained once Fresh Start is active. So anything you've done in the last 9 years will count towards those 90 credits. However, to get Fresh Start you have to be a Texas resident, be admitted into a university under this provision, and complete at least one course for it to be in effect for TMDSAS. In most cases you can't just apply for Fresh Start at the same university you currently attend, you will have to transfer and be admitted under the provision or take a year off to have it granted at the current university. Also, it is only effective for the 8 TMDSAS schools (not Baylor).

34 years old, BS in Humanities from the USAF Academy (tough military school), cGPA 2.6, sGPA 3.7. Undergrad grades are low, but that's from 10 years ago. Also, hold an MBA degree from the Arizona State with cGPA 3.1 (worked full time 60+ hours/week while studying for Grad degree). Have not taken MCAT yet.

Worked for 10 years in the military as an officer, then 5 years in retail as a manager.

Married, have a small child.

Starting formal Post Bacc program at UT Dallas this Fall '11. Plan to take 8 pre-req courses (Gen. Chem, Orgo, Physics, and Bio) during my first year, take the MCAT in the summer and apply to 15-20 Med Schools (including USUHS). I realize my undergrad grades are low, so even if I receive a 4.0 GPA in Post Bacc program as I plan, there are still low chances of getting accepted. So during the second year of my Post Bacc, I plan to take 8 more undergrad (upper division) classes, retake the MCAT, and re-apply to Med Schools. Lots of EC completed (shadowed, volunteered in ER, etc).

It's a long and challenging road ahead but I plan to complete it. The biggest challenge for me right now is finding private loans to cover my next two years of Post Bacc. I've already exhausted my G.I. Bill money and federal loans only cover a small portion of the university's tuition.

Last edited:
29, 3.07 cGPA, 3.34 sGPA, 31 MCAT

Make money tutoring different classes (even the MCAT lolz), doing some on the side electrical work and other odds and ends jobs. That said I'm still 40k in debt from undergrad

No children, wouldn't really say I have a girlfriend, nothing would really hold me down from moving anywhere.

Started college three years ago trying to comeback from a full year of 0.89 GPA and another full year of 2.25 GPA. After three years I have raised my overall GPA to 3.07 as it is right now. Took the MCAT, applied this cycle, hoping for great things. No interview invites yet :( but it's early. Should have gone to church this morning :laugh:.

Q's thread gave me the idea that there needs to be a time capsuled thread where low gpa nontrads can see different models of success.

How about we play like this:

I just think that we as nontrads with financial and personal difficulties need a place to see success and find inspiration. And a place to cheer along those who are coming after us.

1. 34, UGPA: 3.2, Law School GPA: 3.0, No MCAT, no science GPA (beginning pre-reqs this Fall)

2. I'm an attorney, I own my own firm, so money is generally not a serious problem, I put plenty into savings too in large part in anticipation of not having any income for 4 years of school and then having a $10/hr job as a resident for 3-4 years thereafter. Work is definitely more than 40 hours a week, but, if you want something important, you will make it work for you.

3. Engaged, getting married later this summer. She is very supportive, kids are planned soon, and I know we will have them by the time I enter Med School in 2014

4. I like to focus on the opportunities. I completed my two undergrads in 1999, my law degree in 2004. I've grown up a lot between then. In college I didn't know or care how to study, I showed up and got B's. In law school I learned how to study but gave it a 50-60% effort, mainly because I really didn't want to be a lawyer.

So that is the first part of my plan to success. I have wanted to be a physician since I was in high school, but for a variety of reasons I never pursued it, so my first component to my plan: never lose sight of my goal, I will make it happen, no matter what it takes!

Second: Science GPA, there is no reason I cannot ace them, I'm NOT trying to sound arrogant, I believe that every single person here, if they know they want to be a doctor, they have the mental horsepower to ace their pre-meds, I'm no different.

Third: MCAT- I know that ultimately there is no magic score, no magic number and once I get into a school no one will ever care again what I earned on the MCAT (including me :)). But I also know that the score is important, any score above 35 is excellent, my goal is a 40, not because the score itself matters for anything bigger than getting in, but because my hurdle right now is a lower than average UGPA, and a high MCAT is, in my opinion, from what I have seen, the single best way to overcome a low GPA, so there it is. I can study well for tests (i.e. Bar Exam), I can take three to four months of six hours a day studying the components of the MCAT.

Fourth: Supplementary items. I am committed writing excellent PS and essays for individual schools and the AMCAS. I will use my life experience and myriad of skills, as well as experience dealing with people in a variety of situations to my advantage.

Fifth: I am going to cultivate as many relationships with as many Deans of Admissions as possible, keep them informed of what I am doing, where I am in the process, etc. I want them to know who I am, so when my application comes before them they will say "oh, I know that guy, lets give him an interview)...

That's about it, my plan of attack as of now, as someone who is just starting out.

I'm 26, uGPA 3.1, BCPM 3.0, gGPA 3.7, MCAT 36P.

Bad, and working full-time.

Moving to be with my SO who is an incoming MS1.

Well, hopefully I am close to the end of my path to sucess :). I did my graduate program and a couple of post-bacc courses. I retook the MCAT and went from 32 to 36. I filled out my ECs, and that's about all I could do! Fingers crossed... applying this cycle, and have submitted about 1/3 of my secondaries as of today.

I'm 26, uGPA 3.1, BCPM 3.0, gGPA 3.7, MCAT 36P.

Bad, and working full-time.

Moving to be with my SO who is an incoming MS1.

Well, hopefully I am close to the end of my path to sucess :). I did my graduate program and a couple of post-bacc courses. I retook the MCAT and went from 32 to 36. I filled out my ECs, and that's about all I could do! Fingers crossed... applying this cycle, and have submitted about 1/3 of my secondaries as of today.

Just curious what grad program you went to 0919? I have similar uGPA, need to retake the MCAT and hopefully will have similar stats such as your self. Good luck this upcoming cycle!

1. 26, 2.8 (no science or math prerequisites) no MCAT

2. 13,000 annually; laboratory assistant at hospital; post-grad student; pursuing 2nd bacc

3. single; live with mother

4. I'm floundering! Get all A's, volunteer, learn everything I can, do my best, get involved in research projects, ask many many questions of those who have gone before me! Pursue 2nd undergraduate degree, double-major in molecular/cellular biology and linguistics; achieve certificate of neuroscience. No bloody idea what else to do. Is it all for nothing, what with my hideous GPA.

- 26 years old

- Undergrad: B.A. in English with cGPA 2.7 and sGPA 2.5
- Post-bacc: 4.0 GPA over 43cr (38cr are for EMT / paramedic, NONE of which count towards BCMP :()
- Target: cGPA ~3.3, sGPA ~3.7 (mainly possible due to the fact that I only took a handful of BCMP courses in undergrad)

- No MCAT

- For the past three years I have been employed in a PMO (Project Management Office) for an insurance company.
- For the past three years I have also been volunteering part-time as a firefighter / EMT two nights (12 hr shifts) a week.
- ~$15k in undergrad loans to still pay off.

Single

It took me a while to figure this out, but so much of what we are able to accomplish is due to determination and work ethic. Our own level of committment is entirely self-imposed and completely under our control, yet is the most difficult obstacle to overcome. I have resolved to be completely honest with myself in terms of acknowledging the level of effort I must put forward in order to be successful; I am ready and willing to accept full responsibility of not obtaining my goals should I not put forth the necessary effort.

Right now I plan to apply summer 2013 for 2014 matriculation. The tactics of my plan do not differ much from the typical: continue working full time, continue volunteering as a FF / EMT part-time, pick up some non-medical volunteering hours, do some shadowing, and complete my pre-reqs & MCAT over the next two years.

UG GPA: 3.17
Assorted post-grad prereqs: 3.5 (would be a 4.0 but for a C in OchemII where I was also working full time, TAing an anatomy lab, volunteering in the ER and sick for 2 months)
MCAT: waiting for the results...with fingers crossed, knocking on random wooden objects and coming up with inventive prayers and promises to any deity who will have me.

Currently work full-time as an engineer. Just recovering from a downsizing, shortsale and car-crash...buying a new car with shortsale credit sucks.

Single. Family supportive but living many miles away.

• Finished off pre-reqs (Bio and Ochem...have plenty of physics already)
  • A year ago I started volunteering in an emergency room...lot of wiping up urine and making-up gurneys but quite the learning experience.
  • Teaching assistant in an anatomy lab for about a year, keeps the information fresh and allows me practice with dissection. More than anything, taking anatomy convinced me that I love medicine and the human body. I've never had a more fascinating class and I really enjoy helping new students to learn it.
  • My company makes medical devices and I've gotten to go to clinical sites and experience quite a bit of patient interaction. I'm trying to get even more clinical experience before interviews (...if I get interviews).
  • Be picky. In my mind, one of the advantages of being a non-traditional student is that we know a little bit about the world. We know what kind of programs we will flourish in and what kind will slowly kill our love for medicine. We understand institutional politics. Maybe we aren't amazing super-people...but when it comes down to it, we have so much more to offer than a fresh-faced student right out of undergrad. We've failed. We've pushed past it. We know ourselves and our desires. This isn't a whim or an obligation. I'm not applying to just any program, I am choosing the programs that seem to appreciate non-traditional students. Maybe this isn't the best way to succeed at getting into medical school, but I bet it's the best way to get into a medical school that really wants what I have to offer.
Potential failing points:
I was never smart enough to game the system. I took the hardest undergrad program that I could find because that's the kind of person that I am. My junior year, I lost my academic scholarship due to poor GPA. I wrote the committee and pointed out that if I'd taken an easier program, I'd have the grades (substantiated by a 4.0 GPA outside of my degree program). I told them that I shouldn't be punished for seeking out something difficult. It was a complete Hail-Mary move, one that I didn't think would pay out in a million years, but they reinstated the scholarship. I'm hoping that medical schools will look at it the same way, but I highly doubt that they will.

I am 34. My cGPA was 1.71 after 28 credits as an 18 year old idiot kid. When I decided to go back to school just over a year ago, I became serious and tested out of many classes. Obviously this does not help the GPA, but helps me get to the end a little more quickly. I also have not yet received anything except A's and have brought my cGPA up to 3.06 currently and on a serious upward trend that will only get better as I still have about a little over a year left.

Former real estate / loan guy. Now I stay at home during the day and take care of my five (yes five) boys. My wife is a chef and "brings home the bacon." (Sorry. Couldn't help myself! :p)

see above

I plan on doing what I've been doing... taking care of my famil while attending class full time. I plan on taking one semester - one class - one day at a time. Hopefully, after doing this for long enough, I will wake up one day as a doctor.

I'm 31. Software developer who lost the passion for programming.
Undergrad GPA is 3.43, science gpa is 3.4 (I think). These GPA are after taking med prereqs post bac, which i got straight A's for.
Took MCAT on 7/6. Will update when I get the score back in 11 days :xf: Got 30N.
Only apply to one MD school because it's the closest to my house (can't relocate).

Was working for about 7+ years as software developer. Decided to go into med school, so spent about 1.5 years taking prereqs, doing volunteer work, shadowing, EC's and whatnot...Also saved up some $ (not much... about $60K) for school... hopefully will keep the debt low)

Married last year, and will have a baby by the end of august (all part of planning for med school :) Already bought a house and line up daycare. Husband has a stable job and can support our family.

Right now I'm just crossing my fingers and hope for a good MCAT score to get an interview. If I can't get in this year, I'll try again next year. And while waiting, perhaps have another kid so that I won't have to have the 2nd kid while in med school :)

Edit: I got accepted!

Last edited:
I am 34. My cGPA was 1.71 after 28 credits as an 18 year old idiot kid. When I decided to go back to school just over a year ago, I became serious and tested out of many classes. Obviously this does not help the GPA, but helps me get to the end a little more quickly. I also have not yet received anything except A's and have brought my cGPA up to 3.06 currently and on a serious upward trend that will only get better as I still have about a little over a year left.

Former real estate / loan guy. Now I stay at home during the day and take care of my five (yes five) boys. My wife is a chef and "brings home the bacon." (Sorry. Couldn't help myself! :p)

see above

I plan on doing what I've been doing... taking care of my famil while attending class full time. I plan on taking one semester - one class - one day at a time. Hopefully, after doing this for long enough, I will wake up one day as a doctor.

Btw... no MCAT yet. Taking it next summer

I'm 26 with cGPA and sGPA right at 3.0. No MCAT yet.

Graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science, and have been working as a software developer full-time since. Financially pretty stable, just trying to build up savings.

Married to a very ambitious and beautiful woman that will hopefully stick around to support/put up with me during medical school :)

I'm currently taking all of the pre-reqs minus the physics courses, which I already have. The plan is to take two pre-req classes along with one retake each regular semester (Fall/Spring) for the next two years. Next summer I'm going to try to take as many online (retake) courses as I can. The best I'll be able to accomplish at this point is a 3.35 cGPA, and a 3.5 sGPA.

Because of a decent financial situation I will be throwing any resources I can into preparing for the best possible MCAT score I can achieve. Hopefully it'll work.

I'll be volunteering for a hospital and clinic for the next two years, which I've recently started. I am hoping to get around 60-80 hours of shadowing in between now and when I apply.

I'll be applying mostly DO, but will throw in some in-state (Missouri) "reach" MD schools into the mix.

32 going to be 33 next week! GPA=3.6 I haven't taken the MCATs (I won't be ready for them till next year)

I have no credit cards, believe it or not, and just my good old debit card. My parents hated them. But eventually I'll get one...maybe. I'm looking to work on campus this fall semester. I'm a full-time student with only undergrad debt.

I'm single, no kids except for two dogs.

I pretty much plan on studying my butt off to try to get straight As (even if it means studying with a tutor) and raising my GPA. I think as soon as my pre-med classes are finished, I will study for the MCATs while everything is fresh in my head. I may even enroll in one of those prep MCAT classes. I will be taking bio chem, genetics, cell and molecular bio and human anatomy I and II. Just a lot of upper division classes.

I wrote a big fancy response, but my cat stepped on my power button and killed the computer before I posted it. He's a jerk like that. Sigh.

27. GPA is roughly 2.0ish at around 83 credits..... I have at least another 3 years ahead of me to fix what I can, but it will never be great. I'm not taking the MCAT for a while.

None to speak of just now. I get help from my parents, thank goodness. I'd be lost without them..... finishing my EMT-I at night this semester, and will hopefully be getting some part time work starting in spring. Other than that, I'm a strictly financial aid case.

Never married, no kids, don't date.

Massive GPA repair over the next three years. Double majoring to get in as many credits as possible to offset all of the horribleness I accrued in my younger, unmotivated days. Use my EMT certs to get into the ER as quickly as possible, but keep my hours per week to under 20 so I can pull off that 4.0 for each semester I have left, and continue to network with doctors who I can recruit to Team Dayzie. Utilize the heck out of the pre-med adviser who's just crazy enough to agree to work with me on building a competitive application.

GPA: 2.74
MCAT: Will take it in 2012

I have a job as a research assistant, my spouse is a teacher. We're comfortable I guess.

Spouse (yes! :love:) Kids (none yet :D)

Study for the MCAT.
Shadow physicians at the university/ teaching hospital where I work.
Network. Network. Network.
Hopefully get into the med school where I work :xf:

Applied this cycle to 68 schools. They said apply broadly. 45 secondaries submitted so far, hoping for the best.

I'm just curious if you are really planning on traveling to all 68 schools if given interview dates? Talk about expensive!! If your stats are average, do you really think you increase your chances significantly by applying to so many schools? I don't know, that's why I'm curious to hear your thought process. I read on SDN that applying broadly means applying anywhere from 10 to 30 schools given the time and cost involved in the process.

I'm just curious if you are really planning on traveling to all 68 schools if given interview dates? Talk about expensive!! If your stats are average, do you really think you increase your chances significantly by applying to so many schools? I don't know, that's why I'm curious to hear your thought process. I read on SDN that applying broadly means applying anywhere from 10 to 30 schools given the time and cost involved in the process.
What I learned from applying to 46 schools in '07 was that I only needed to apply to 5:
1. my instate MD school, which gave me a mercy interview
2. one OOS MD school, since all 35 rejected me might as well have just applied to one
3. one DO school that accepted me
4. one DO school that I LOVED and waitlisted me
5. one DO school that rejected me (good for humility)

If qwerty actually researched 68 schools and is actually eligible for admission at all 68, and qwerty can afford the expense, then there's no harm done. Qwerty's stats are right up the middle, and from there it's really hard to know what to expect. What I see too much is that people don't do the research, and they apply to OOS public schools at which they have zero chance, or they apply to 20 reach schools instead of a couple.

26, GPA is roughly 3.16. It was a 3.28 on a scale to 4.5 in Canada so I'm estimating. No sGPA... because I quite literally never took another science class after highschool. I'm going back this spring full time to take all of the science prerequisites I don't have, and I'm hoping my grades in those will boost my GPA significantly. I spent my first 4 year degree not caring about school at all so I'm interested to see what kind of grades I can pull off when I put some effort into it.

I'll be taking my MCAT in a few years.

I've worked as an architect since I graduated university the first time in 2006. Toyed with the idea of Pharmacy for a little while because a friend really loves it, but I'm ultimately deciding on medicine. Financially we're alright; but student loans will be paying the bills while I'm in school. I'll try to cover living expenses with a part time job if it's feasible, and we're trying hard to get rid of most of our debt before I go back in January. What kills me is had I done this in Canada the first go round I'd have ~$75,000 in tuition instead of ~$150,000. Oh well, live and learn...

Married, no kids, 3 dogs. Very supportive husband who is encouraging me to go for it and will be paying the bills while I'm in school.

Spring 2012 I'm heading back to school at University of Colorado to take all my math/sciences since b.Arch is its own little world. I'll do my best to pull my GPAs up into the 3.6+ realm and then go for the MCAT.

It'll take me about 2 years to cram in all of the prerequisites, during that time I'll be shadowing and volunteering as often as I can, and hopefully working some to offset the cost of (basically) another undergrad. Also get a feeling for medicine since i'm coming from a very different place.

I'll only be applying to University of Colorado since we absolutely won't pay out of state tuition... fingers crossed way in advance!

Applied this cycle to 68 schools. They said apply broadly. 45 secondaries submitted so far, hoping for the best.

primary

160.00, 1st school
33.00, 2nd-68th school

= 2371.00

secondary

~25.00, 1st-45th school

= 1125.00

=

I suggest it's premature to be thinking about the MCAT with that GPA. What's your plan to address GPA?

I'm waiting to see how I do on the MCAT before I decide whether or not I want to retake classes. I have a decent science GPA & I have research experience, with a publication on the way (hopefully). I believe that undergrad GPA is not really all that important unless you're a fresh college grad. but we'll see

I believe that undergrad GPA is not really all that important unless you're a fresh college grad. but we'll see
Might want to see if anybody on SDN agrees with that. When you apply to med school you have to submit every college transcript, and list your coursework line by line, and everything from undergrad gets averaged together, including postbac work.

In 2007 I was invited to interview at a med school in Arizona. At the age of 41, with 20+ years of college classes spread across 5 transcripts, I was expected to discuss, line by line, every course grade that was not an A, starting in 1984.

That was at a DO school.

Best of luck to you.

Might want to see if anybody on SDN agrees with that. [...]

[...] I was expected to discuss, line by line, every course grade that was not an A, starting in 1984

That was at a DO school.

Best of luck to you.

:wow:

The more I read, the more I feel myself coming to terms with the sheer amount of work I have ahead of me. FML