Low GPA Plans for Success (Posts by Premeds Not Yet Accepted to Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it.
cGPA: 3.06
sGPA: 2.57 (I've only taken 2 science classes so far)
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet

2. Your financial and work situation.
I work full time in an office and I make decent money for someone who is 26 and only a sophomore in college and no other qualifications, however I don't make enough to pay my bills and school, so I am taking out loans. I'm currently about 10k in debt from student loans. I make too much to qualify for grants.

3. Your family and significant other situation.
Married, but no kids and no plans to have any soon. We want to have one kid one day, but we're not ready. My husband is very supportive, but I have severe feelings if inadequacy and constantly change my mind on what I want to do with my life (I've considered surgical tech, nurse, PA, PharmD, and DO). I constantly worry that I'm not smart enough to become a PA or a doctor, but I want to try anyway. I am currently planning on applying to PA and DO schools further down the line. My backup plan is to pursue a PsyD at a local university, but again, I feel like I'm incapable of getting into graduate school, much less complete the courses once I get there.

4. Your plan or your path to success.

My plan is to try to take this one step at a time and not allow myself to get too wrapped up in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 25. My uGPA is 3.4 for my bachelors, 3.6 for my associates. sGPA is 2.95.

I start my science courses (including the repeats) this fall, so no MCAT scores for a little while.

I have approximately $31,000 in student loans from my undergrad. They're currently in forbearance because I'm not employed, but will soon be in deferment. I have a monthly cell phone bill and the occasional medical bill. No rent, house payment or car payment.

I am a registered nurse. I'm currently looking for a part-time or PRN nursing job to stack money away and also to pay off some accruing interest from student loans. Hopefully, I will be able to work part-time or PRN for the first part of my premed courses. I might land some tuition assistance, too.

Single. No kids. I keep an eye on my parents, though.

I chose to DIY my premed courses instead of a postbacc. It's cheaper, and I happen to live near a highly-ranked public research university. I anticipate taking approximately 2 years to complete the science courses. I plan to purchase MCAT books sooner rather than later, and use them to study during the actual courses. I plan to pick up research and physician shadowing experiences, as well. I will likely volunteer at a soup kitchen or animal shelter. If I have to quit nursing because it interferes with my studies, I might try to pick up some hours as a tutor.

My back-up plan is to continue trying until I succeed. It's not my dream to be a PA, NP, PT, pharmacist, dentist or vet. It's my dream to be a MD. I will work as much as I need to, for as long as I need to, to get there.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this from the second page, but I feel like I fit in here.

1. Your age and GPA and MCAT if you have it

I am about to turn 32. I have 4 courses left to finish my bachelors, but they should be fairly easy As, God willing. My cGPA is sitting at around a 3.45, and my sGPA is at a 3.47 (BCPM) and a 3.65 (sGPA for DO), but I still have some pre-reqs to do. My BCPM GPA is lower because I failed a math course when I was young and immature. No MCAT yet.

2. Your Financial and Work Situation

I am active duty Navy, so my finances are decent. I cannot quit or reduce my hours, which makes it a little difficult to dedicate 100% to getting those As. Taking a calc 3 final in a Singapore laundry mat with ****ty wifi was a fun experience.

3. Your Family and Significant Other Situation

I am married with two girls under two.

4. Your Plan or Path to Success

I have a plan A, B, and C. Plan A is to apply to the EMDP2 program through the Navy. It is for enlisted personnel with a Bachelors degree who still have to take the MCAT and finish prereqs. If accepted, you go TAD to USUHS for two years. The first year is med school prereqs, taking the MCAT, and applying to schools. Year two is upper division courses and interviews, etc. If you get accepted, you go to med school and stay on active duty.

Plan B is to finish my prereqs on my own (using TA of course) then apply directly to med schools (USUHS and/or HPSP--or not; I'm not sure if I'd go back to mil med if was about to get out anyway, but the benies are nice).

Plan C, after trying for at least two cycles, would to try to go to PA school. I want to be a doctor, but I could be happy as a PA if I couldn't get into med school (assuming I could get into PA school, that is).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
29 years old. cGPA 3.07, sGPA 3.04. Graduated 2008 with a B.S. in Applied Physics. Need to retake Chem I and II. Then take for the 1st time Orgo, Biology, Biochem and probably Psychology. No MCAT yet.

Active Duty 8 years now. Good finances with both my husband and I working. We plan to sell our house so that will add nicely to our savings. That will help pay for Post-Bac too. I plan to use the GI Bill (I'm at 100%) to pay for med school. It has to be a public school to get full coverage. Private schools I will only get 21K annually.

Married 6 years with a 2 year old. Pretty sure #2 will come right after post-bac/ during the gap year.

I start applying this summer to Post-Bacc programs. I've chosen 14 with a broad brush. Obviously the big name schools (UVA, Goucher, JHU) plenty of other well known ones and a few DIY programs including HES. I'm done with the first draft of my personal statement and I have one LOR from a previous boss. I will ask my current boss soon as well as reach out to a few college professors (that's a long shot I know). My applications will be complete by June/July and I will apply long distance when I deploy later this year. Any interviews (fingers crossed) will be via Skype. If I don't get into a traditional/structured post bac, I will go DIY and pay for formal MCAT tutoring.

Hi everyone :) Been lurking on the board for a while but decided to post for the first time here to introduce myself. Tips or suggestions are also welcome :)

37, cGPA 3.06, sGPA 3.14 Graduated in 2004 with a BSc in Chemistry. I've taken all my pre-reqs and scored well in all (A's or B's), except Biochem where I got a C :( No MCAT yet.

I originally went to college to study medicine, but when I graduated, life took some turns that prevented that from happening. The past 10 years I've been a high school science teacher, and for the last 5 of those I've been teaching AP Physics (algebra based and cal based). I'm pretty set for the physics portion of the MCAT - thank god.

3. Your family and significant other situation
I am married, but no kids yet. We are thinking of having a kid soon, though.

4. Your plan or path to success
My plan is to study for the MCAT starting in Feb and take it at the beginning of August. I should get my scores back the beginning of september, and I can finish my applications by the deadline. I think my major issue will be ECs - I don't have any. I've begun stringing together email requests for shadowing, and have contacted local hospitals to get some volunteer hours in. Luckily, I have the luxury of the summer months to do that, so I imagine if I can find a doctor willing to let me follow them around every day, I'll be set. It also doesn't provide a huge opportunity for a LOR time wise, but I'll see what I can do. I've been out of touch with my undergrad profs for a while now, so I'm not sure that's an option. I'm planning on applying to medical school and to an SMP. If the med school app doesn't pan out, I'll plan on attending an SMP next summer. If I go the SMP route, I"ll be 41 before I start med school - which is a little disheartening, but not a deterrent. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Age 27 GPA: 3.54 Scheduled to take MCAT on June 18th.

I have been working since December of 2012 as a medical scribe in some capacity which was when I graduated college. Of course, I graduated with a significant student loans. At present, I am working anywhere between 50 and 80 hours a week as a scribe. I enjoy it. It is very interesting the things I get to see in medicine; however, I do know I don't want to do it for the rest of my life.

I was married last August. My husband currently has a good job with a moving company in town, and he does completely support me. In fact, he is my biggest advocate. I am really hoping to get into the local DO school, so we can remain in the area. We do not have any children (unless you count a cat).

I have already started to study for the MCAT. This is the only thing standing between me and my way of actually applying to med school. I have good ECs, good shadowing experience, and a decent GPA.

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.06
sGPA: 2.57 (I've only taken 2 science classes so far)
MCAT: Haven't taken it yet

I work full time in an office and I make decent money for someone who is 26 and only a sophomore in college and no other qualifications, however I don't make enough to pay my bills and school, so I am taking out loans. I'm currently about 10k in debt from student loans. I make too much to qualify for grants.

Married, but no kids and no plans to have any soon. We want to have one kid one day, but we're not ready. My husband is very supportive, but I have severe feelings if inadequacy and constantly change my mind on what I want to do with my life (I've considered surgical tech, nurse, PA, PharmD, and DO). I constantly worry that I'm not smart enough to become a PA or a doctor, but I want to try anyway. I am currently planning on applying to PA and DO schools further down the line. My backup plan is to pursue a PsyD at a local university, but again, I feel like I'm incapable of getting into graduate school, much less complete the courses once I get there.

My plan is to try to take this one step at a time and not allow myself to get too wrapped up in the future.

I promise you are not the only one who has those feelings, and I do constantly worry about whether or not I'll be good enough at medical school. I do believe that passion and the will to try will push you a long way though.