2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that the MCAT is done and over with. I can now concentrate on the application. There is no rest for the wicked applicant sayeth the admissions officer.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information about the School of Community Medicine program of OU. From what I can gather this program has a lot of benefits to offer both people in Northeast Oklahoma and the medical students who join the program. Are there any current students involved in the program who would like to tell us more?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two of the same forum but the other one is in the 2009-2010 file so we should post on this one

Last edited:
There are two of the same forum but the other one is in the 2009-2010 file so we should post on this one

Has anyone heard about when they will be sending out secondaries?

I actually got mine on July 1st...Haven't started that one yet though. I don't get my MCAT score for another 2 weeks, so I have a little bit.

I received mine on july 1st. There are only essays if you want to do the community health program.

BTW, I don't believe that this formula has been posted this year.
In previous years OU used this formula to grant the original interviews. I think that they may rank the order of interviews later by this score.

I believe that they plan to give first round interviews to people whose scores exceed last year's average.

My understanding is that they are not number driven very much after the interviews are granted. So the advantage of the higher score is mostly the early interview. They have rolling admissions.

In previous years, a good majority, but not all, of the early interviews got acceptances. One of the adcomms told me that many people have very high scores but have no ability to explain why they want to be a doctor.

((MCAT Average) + (GPA * 3.75))/2 = Score

2009 entering class average from a combination of MSAR and hearsay. These are rough numbers and probably differ by several percentage points. I am attending the information session on Monday AM and will correct this by what I hear there.

( (10.33) + (3.85 * 3.75) ) / 2 = 12.38

In order to get a first round interview you must have your file complete before 9/1

BTW, I don't believe that this formula has been posted this year.
In previous years OU used this formula to grant the original interviews. I think that they may rank the order of interviews later by this score.

I believe that they plan to give first round interviews to people whose scores exceed last year's average.

My understanding is that they are not number driven very much after the interviews are granted. So the advantage of the higher score is mostly the early interview. They have rolling admissions.

In previous years, a good majority, but not all, of the early interviews got acceptances. One of the adcomms told me that many people have very high scores but have no ability to explain why they want to be a doctor.

((MCAT Average) + (GPA * 3.75))/2 = Score

2009 entering class average from a combination of MSAR and hearsay. These are rough numbers and probably differ by several percentage points. I am attending the information session on Monday AM and will correct this by what I hear there.

( (10.33) + (3.85 * 3.75) ) / 2 = 12.38

In order to get a first round interview you must have your file complete before 9/1

An admission committee member told me that the waitlist ranking is started by this formula also. Now it is not the only criteria for the ranking, but a base and you can be moved up or down on the list by the other components of your application.
Also they have semi-rolling admissions. It is rolling up until a given number is reached (this year was 120). Once that number is reached they switch to a non-rolling admission selection and everyone gets deferred or rejected until the final committee meeting. At that meeting the class will be filled and the waitlist generated.

Last edited:
On the supplementary application, it says Applicants now have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is in Oklahoma City and the other is a new opportunity located on the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - School of Community Medicine (SCM) campus in Tulsa. For information about the SCM track, please check the website at http://tulsa.ou.edu/socm/admissions.htm. Please indicate your interest below. Applicants can indicate interest in one or both campuses. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete the three questions below and will be contacted directly by the SCM regarding application status and interview selectionOklahoma City Educational Track: yes or no?

is the oklahoma city educational track the normal route, or is that something separate? Just making sure!

On the supplementary application, it says Applicants now have two educational track options at the College of Medicine. One is in Oklahoma City and the other is a new opportunity located on the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - School of Community Medicine (SCM) campus in Tulsa. For information about the SCM track, please check the website at http://tulsa.ou.edu/socm/admissions.htm. Please indicate your interest below. Applicants can indicate interest in one or both campuses. All applicants interested in the SCM must complete the three questions below and will be contacted directly by the SCM regarding application status and interview selectionOklahoma City Educational Track: yes or no?

is the oklahoma city educational track the normal route, or is that something separate? Just making sure!

The school of community medicine (based in Tulsa) is the new track. The Oklahoma City track is the old track that we are already familiar with.

You must be accepted by the school based in Okc in order to attend the school in any way. The Tulsa track student body (SCM-School of Community Medicine) consists of a subset of the students who are accepted to OU-Med.

An admission committee member told me that the waitlist ranking is started by this formula also. Now it is not the only criteria for the ranking, but a base and you can be moved up or down on the list by the other components of your application.
Also they have semi-rolling admissions. It is rolling up until a given number is reached (this year was 120). Once that number is reached they switch to a non-rolling admission selection and everyone gets deferred or rejected until the final committee meeting. At that meeting the class will be filled and the waitlist generated.

This was confirmed by Monday's information session.

The interviews are granted strictly on this formula. The highest N number of students getting first round interviews, the next highest getting the next etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was confirmed by Monday's information session.

The interviews are granted strictly on this formula. The highest N number of students getting first round interviews, the next highest getting the next etc.

The interview order is not set in stone by the formula. A friend of mine interviewed a week before I did and I had a .2 greater score than he did. As a matter of fact there were a couple of people I know with lower scores than me that interviewed before I did.
By previous years, people that interview in October and November rarely get rejected. The people interviewing in Jan and Feb seem to be much closer in the formula score. When you get to the 11.50 and below range, there is plenty of competition. Also the interview is extremely important. You did not make the waitlist this past cycle without getting an acceptance score in every step of the evaluation process. A friend of mine had a score about 0.3 greater than mine (which is a large difference) and got rejected because of the interview. And she thought her interview went great.

Last edited:
So does anyone know what kind of chance I might have as an out-of-state OU grad? I went to OU with National Merit and was wondering if being 1) National Merit or 2)an OU undergrad might lessen the blow of being OOS?
:D
Thanks!

The interview order is not set in stone by the formula. A friend of mine interviewed a week before I did and I had a .17 greater score than he did. As a matter of fact there were a couple of people I know with lower scores than me that interviewed before I did.
By previous years, people that interview in October and November rarely get rejected. The people interviewing in Jan and Feb seem to be much closer in the formula score. When you get to the 11.50 and below range, there is plenty of competition. Also the interview is extremely important. You did not make the waitlist this past cycle without getting an acceptance score in every step of the evaluation process. A friend of mine had a score about 0.3 greater than mine (which is a large difference) and got rejected because of the interview. And she thought her interview went great.

Does anyone know the average acceptance score for, perhaps, last year?

Does anyone know the average acceptance score for, perhaps, last year?

The average stats of the people accepted (not including waitlist) was 3.8 and 31 mcat. Those numbers calculate to a 12.29

The average stats of the people accepted (not including waitlist) was 3.8 and 31 mcat. Those numbers calculate to a 12.29

When do your classes start, Just? Have you already moved from Edmond?

When do your classes start, Just? Have you already moved from Edmond?

Aug 16 is orientation, 23 is the first class. not moving from Edmond, it's only a 15 minute drive door to door almost all highway.

Aug 16 is orientation, 23 is the first class. not moving from Edmond, it's only a 15 minute drive door to door almost all highway.

Yeah I really like the general location of OU's med school. It's pretty close to Bricktown and such. (If I get in here hopefully will be able to attend some Thunder games :D)

Hey all- this is such a great site, I am new here and just joined and am in the application process as we speak.. My question here is about OU med, my state school.. I was told that an unprecedented number of students were taken off the wait list this year, something like 60/75. Why would 60 people accepted to a state school (they don't accept many OOS so I am sure that those 60 people originally accepted weren't all OOSers) with in state tuition decline and go somewhere else. It seems like a red flag to me as most state schools only have like 20 students taken off the wait list. I know several schools I have looked at had no movement at all. I am just hoping there isn't a issue I haven't heard or thought about. Any insight would be great thanks for your time.

So does anyone know what kind of chance I might have as an out-of-state OU grad? I went to OU with National Merit and was wondering if being 1) National Merit or 2)an OU undergrad might lessen the blow of being OOS?
:D
Thanks!

The admissions committee members will look for OOS students with significant ties to Oklahoma, as the ultimate purpose of any publicly funded medical school is to produce graduates that will (theoretically) become practicing physicians in that state. The thought is that OOS students who already have ties to the state before school will be much more likely to practice in OK. You would be an applicant with significant ties, considering you went to school in OK for several years. The school receives loads of OOS applications from all over the place submitted by students who have no real connection to OK or any interest in living or practicing here - they just want to get into med school. Most of those applicants will not receive much consideration.

As for being National Merit, do you really have to ask if that will help your application?

Hey all- this is such a great site, I am new here and just joined and am in the application process as we speak.. My question here is about OU med, my state school.. I was told that an unprecedented number of students were taken off the wait list this year, something like 60/75. Why would 60 people accepted to a state school (they don't accept many OOS so I am sure that those 60 people originally accepted weren't all OOSers) with in state tuition decline and go somewhere else. It seems like a red flag to me as most state schools only have like 20 students taken off the wait list. I know several schools I have looked at had no movement at all. I am just hoping there isn't a issue I haven't heard or thought about. Any insight would be great thanks for your time.

I'm curious where you got the info on how many students were accepted from the wait list, I hadn't heard that (not saying it's not true). I know that most premed students from OK will apply to OU, whether they really intend to go there or not, kind of a safety thing. That would account for some spots opening up for waitlisters as these students release their spots to go to the school of their choice (probably to go pay OOS or private tuition, great choice). Also, the class of 2014 will be the first to go through a new systems-based curriculum, perhaps that could have scared off a few students who would rather not play role of guinea pig.

Whatever the cause, I wouldn't view it as a red flag. OU is a great school. I'm not saying we have the top program in the nation, but OU produces grads that are capable of getting any residency spot they want. You should not hesitate to apply to or attend school here.

Whatever the cause, I wouldn't view it as a red flag. OU is a great school. I'm not saying we have the top program in the nation, but OU produces grads that are capable of getting any residency spot they want. You should not hesitate to apply to or attend school here.

OU is the only MD school in Oklahoma. Therefore every prospective MD student in Oklahoma will apply there. This differs from other states with multiple schools, where a student may only apply to the state school that they prefer.

The admissions committee members will look for OOS students with significant ties to Oklahoma, as the ultimate purpose of any publicly funded medical school is to produce graduates that will (theoretically) become practicing physicians in that state. The thought is that OOS students who already have ties to the state before school will be much more likely to practice in OK. You would be an applicant with significant ties, considering you went to school in OK for several years. The school receives loads of OOS applications from all over the place submitted by students who have no real connection to OK or any interest in living or practicing here - they just want to get into med school. Most of those applicants will not receive much consideration.

As for being National Merit, do you really have to ask if that will help your application?

OU is the only MD school in Oklahoma. Therefore every prospective MD student in Oklahoma will apply there. This differs from other states with multiple schools, where a student may only apply to the state school that they prefer.

Yeah I just wondered why most years its only like 20 off the list and this last cycle it was triple that.. I guess you can assume it was just the new curriculum/ grading thing. At least I hope that is what scared everyone off.

Yeah I just wondered why most years its only like 20 off the list and this last cycle it was triple that.. I guess you can assume it was just the new curriculum/ grading thing. At least I hope that is what scared everyone off.

I also know that quite a few of the applicants last year had extremely high GPA's / MCAT's, so perhaps that had something to do with it. I know that every year there are a few outstanding applicants, but for some reason last year it seemed like there were more.

Yes, it was much more competitive this year. I interviewed with some MD/Ph.D. students and MD only and I heard people talking about their scores and they were mostly upper 30s. This year was really competitive MCAT-wise and people with lower MCAT scores AND a great interview had a great chance could get into ou, because all the people with great scores left elsewhere, so yes, it fluctuates. I was accepted and declined, and I wish you all the best of luck.

so is the formula the only determining factor that OU uses to grant interview invites?

so is the formula the only determining factor that OU uses to grant interview invites?

While this sucks in many ways, it is the only factor for determining interviews and the order in which interviews are awarded (along with when the application is received). You will find that the applicants with the highest scores will interview first in October and it will move down the ranked list from there. However, because they can only select a limited number of OOS applicants, some in-state applicants with lower scores will receive interviews over OSS applicants with higher scores.

the formula is the only thing granting an interview. sorry, apply elsewhere too to max options

Just got invited to an October 13th, 2010 interview for MD. School of Community Medicine will provide further instructions in the future if you applied. As of September 9th, 2010.

OU score 12.57
Mcat 31R 10 PS, 10VR, 11BS
gpa/sgpa 3.95 4.0

Interview invitation received today, 9/9/10 for 10/13 interview date, although my committee letter was just sent to AMCAS today, so I'm not sure how that worked out.

OU score: 12.94

12PS/11VR/10BS 33Q
3.97 cGPA
4.00 sGPA

Does anyone know all of the interview dates this cycle? And does anyone know how far ahead the interviews have already been granted?

I was hoping for an October interview, but I didn't get my application officially submitted until three weeks ago (I started app in May but personal statement took me forever), so I'm still waiting for verification. I wanted to know the earliest interview date that is still open.

Heard anything?

I received my invitation

OU score: 12.78

11PS/13VR/9BS 33S
3.88 cGPA
3.91 sGPA

So far, I believe only the October interviews have been invited.

------
Edited corrected the writing score - I'm sure this is terribly, terribly, important

Last edited:
Invite as well, not quite as high of an OU score as the rest though: 12.33

9 PS/9 VR/11 BS 29P
4.0 cGPA
4.0 sGPA

Interview invite for Oct.13th

GPA: 3.95
MCAT:10 PS 10 BS 10 VR, (30M)

OU Score: 12.41

Good luck to all!

Interview invite for Oct.13th

GPA: 3.95
MCAT:10 PS 10 BS 10 VR, (30M)

OU Score: 12.41

Good luck to all!

To those with interview invites, did you receive e-mails? I think I read that somewhere--e.g. this was not a snail-mail invite, correct?

Congrats to all the interview invites. Word of advice, relax. You really have to screw up the interview to not get a first round acceptance

To those with interview invites, did you receive e-mails? I think I read that somewhere--e.g. this was not a snail-mail invite, correct?

Yep, email. You'll know it when you see it. I believe the subject was something like OU MD Interview Invitation haha

Interview Invite for October 14

OU score: 12.04

MCAT: PS 11, VR 9, BS 9, Total 29P
GPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.62

in-state

did anybody else get an invite for 14th? all i see is 13th

Does anyone know all of the interview dates this cycle? And does anyone know how far ahead the interviews have already been granted?

I was hoping for an October interview, but I didn't get my application officially submitted until three weeks ago (I started app in May but personal statement took me forever), so I'm still waiting for verification. I wanted to know the earliest interview date that is still open.

Heard anything?

I don't know the specific dates for this application cycle, but they usually follow the same pattern every year: 2 in Oct, 2 in Nov, 4 in Jan, 2 in Feb. There are usually around 30 applicants interviewing on each date. They award the interviews in sets, so all the Oct interview invites should have gone out at once. Some time in the coming weeks, they will determine who gets Nov interviews and then send those out.

If your application is verified soon, then you will be eligible for an interview. But remember that they award interviews based on the magic formula with higher scores being given earlier interviews.

Good luck to everyone interviewing in Oct. One thing that I did to prepare for my interview is go through the interview feedback here on SDN from the past 2-3 interview cycles to look at specific questions I may be asked. Sure enough, they asked me many of the questions I saw in the feedback reports. I think it is worth your time to look at it.

Interview Invite for October 14

OU score: 12.04

MCAT: PS 11, VR 9, BS 9, Total 29P
GPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.62

in-state

did anybody else get an invite for 14th? all i see is 13th

I'll be there the 14th as well

I just submitted my AMCAS application yesterday, and I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage this puts me at. I wanted to wait to submit to make sure I had MCAT scores that made it worth applying.

I just submitted my AMCAS application yesterday, and I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage this puts me at. I wanted to wait to submit to make sure I had MCAT scores that made it worth applying.

If you submitted yesterday, that means you will probably get verified in about 3 weeks-1 month. (I have read that submitting at this time usually takes 1 month to a month and a half, but I've heard that this year AAMC has been faster for some reason.) That will mean you receive OU's secondary probably around early/mid October, so you will need to submit it as quickly as you can after you gain access to it. It'll take OU a while to process everything once you send in the secondary, so you will probably miss out being considered for the October and November interview dates. However, if you complete everything in a timely manner from here on out, you have a legit shot at the other months.

I don't know the specific dates for this application cycle, but they usually follow the same pattern every year: 2 in Oct, 2 in Nov, 4 in Jan, 2 in Feb. There are usually around 30 applicants interviewing on each date. They award the interviews in sets, so all the Oct interview invites should have gone out at once. Some time in the coming weeks, they will determine who gets Nov interviews and then send those out.

If your application is verified soon, then you will be eligible for an interview. But remember that they award interviews based on the magic formula with higher scores being given earlier interviews.

Good luck to everyone interviewing in Oct. One thing that I did to prepare for my interview is go through the interview feedback here on SDN from the past 2-3 interview cycles to look at specific questions I may be asked. Sure enough, they asked me many of the questions I saw in the feedback reports. I think it is worth your time to look at it.

Where is that interview feedback posted - in the school specific forum or also someplace else?

I'm kind of nervous because I have a 12.05 OU score and I haven't received an interview invite yet. I noticed that someone on here got an invite with a 12.04 and I know someone with below a 12 who got an October interview. Does applying to School of Community Medicine have an effect on when the interview is?

Edit: I'm also in-state and I go to OU.

Last edited:
I'm the one OUDoc is talking about

GPA 3.54
MCAT 31P
giving an 11.80

I'm in-state at OU

I think that I am an example of how applying early is beneficial as I completed my secondary in the first week of July

I'm kind of nervous because I have a 12.05 OU score and I haven't received an interview invite yet. I noticed that someone on here got an invite with a 12.04 and I know someone with below a 12 who got an October interview. Does applying to School of Community Medicine have an effect on when the interview is?

I wouldn't worry at this point as there are still so many interview dates left, and there is probably very little statistical difference between October and November interviewees.

When you were complete at OU? I imagine that most of the first round interviewees were not only competitive stats-wise but also complete very early in the cycle. It could just be that processing your application is taking longer if you applied a few weeks later.

Were you complete before 8/31?

Status
Not open for further replies.