2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true! Although please make sure everything still passes the sniff test during test week.

One thing about Macs is that you can't double-speed lectures on them. I don't know how it works with the partition, though, because I have a PC...

We take tests on our laptops. I don't know how your eyes would hold up on a netbook over several hours, but I can think of one or two people that do it.

You can't double-speed using OSX and Safari (the Mac operating system and browser). I'm pretty sure you can still double-speed using Windows and Internet Explorer or Firefox/Chrome. It's not a limitation of the laptop itself (Macbooks are fundamentally no different than any other laptop).

But yeah I agree with the "netbooks are small" argument. I don't like using small screens, even if the resolution is high.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't double-speed using OSX and Safari (the Mac operating system and browser). I'm pretty sure you can still double-speed using Windows and Internet Explorer or Firefox/Chrome. It's not a limitation of the laptop itself (Macbooks are fundamentally no different than any other laptop).

So does anyone know the cheapest/best way to get the software to run windows on a mac? Also, I've heard that installing Windows can slow you Ram down a little....anyone with any experience?

So does anyone know the cheapest/best way to get the software to run windows on a mac? Also, I've heard that installing Windows can slow you Ram down a little....anyone with any experience?

Macs come with the program necessary to install Windows - simply launch Boot Camp from Spotlight. However, the one major caveat is that you need a full copy of Windows on a disc. Not those cheaper "upgrades", mind you, but the for-real-deal full installation of either Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (just use 7). How you choose to obtain Windows is up to you, but the best and most legit way is to buy it from a campus store with your educational discount. Boot Camp will lead you through the entire process. It's incredibly easy - it'll ask you how large you want the Windows partition to be, using a visual representation of how large the remaining OSX side will be and how large the Windows side will be. Of course, the downside of partitioning is that you're basically cutting your hard drive into two pieces. Windows will be on one piece, and OSX on the other. If you decide you really don't need Windows, Boot Camp also has the option of erasing the Windows partition and re-integrating it with OSX (restoring the original hard disk size).

As for making your RAM slower, I don't see how this is even possible. My Macbook didn't have a performance hit when I installed Windows. . When you boot into OSX (the Mac operating system), the computer won't even utilize the Windows partition for anything except file storage. Same goes for when you boot into Windows and view your OSX partition.

I know all of this sounds horribly complicated, and in some ways it is, but Boot Camp does a pretty good job of making it simple. Besides, if push comes to shove, "Google It".

If you decide to put Windows on your Macbook, there's one very important thing to remember: choose your partition sizes carefully. For every gigabyte you allocate to the Windows partition, the OSX partition loses a gigabyte. If you think you'll use Windows almost exclusively, feel free to give it a very large partition, but if you find that you like OSX more than Windows, don't give the Windows side a huge partition. I personally use OSX for non-productivity applications (music, movies, internet, etc) which tend to use a lot more hard drive space. Windows is my school/office/work/etc side, and documents generally don't take up a lot of space.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, be smart with which kind of MS Office you get. Apple will try to talk you into iWork, which is a pretty decent Office clone (and cheaper, usually) but it's got some compatibility issues with DOCX, XLSX, etc files that are common in newer MS Office suites. If I were you, I'd go with Office. The real challenge would be whether to get the OSX version (yes, Microsoft actually makes MS Office for Mac) or the Windows version. I personally think the Windows version is still superior.

I know that's a lot of advice, but I was trying to answer as many questions as I thought might arise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, before anyone asks, iPad is a really outstanding study tool for medical school (the amount of anatomy, flash card, etc apps is staggering) but don't rely on it as your primary computing source. My iPad has been incredibly useful to me (especially because the battery life is amazing) but there are certain basic things it simply can't do (like installing third-party applications) and it's generally not very good for typing - even with a bluetooth keyboard. If you like to write by hand to take notes, then an iPad plus Penultimate and a cheap stylus (make sure to get one designed for capacitive touchscreens - normal ones don't work) is practically indispensable.

wow phange that's all very insightful stuff right there. I have an iPad also and I was wondering if you had a suggestion for a good anatomy app? and in general your list of apps that you have on your iPad

wow phange that's all very insightful stuff right there. I have an iPad also and I was wondering if you had a suggestion for a good anatomy app? and in general your list of apps that you have on your iPad

Well, I don't start school until the Fall, but I already have:

Pages - Basically Apple's word processor for iPad. Quite good, but may not be necessary if you're going to take notes on a laptop.

Penultimate - If you have a capacitive stylus (about ten dollars at Wal-Mart) you can use your own handwriting to take notes/draw pictures/etc in little scrapbooks. It's incredibly handy and organizes your notes well. I recommend it for anyone, really.

Flash Cards Deluxe - This is the gold standard application for any student. Basically it's a flash cards program, but it also comes with an online database with pre-made flashcards over practically every subject that ever existed, from medical to hard sciences to humanities... etc etc. I think it's $2.99 which makes it an absolute steal. I already have a complete set of USMLE flash cards.

As for anatomy apps, the app store has a category tab that lets you choose medical apps and sort through the popular ones.

A couple other non-school apps that would be useful:

Netflix - Seriously, don't waste your money on cable. Just pay $7.99 a month and you can stream as many movies as you want directly to your iPad through WiFi. Amazing.

Numbers / Keynote - Excel and Powerpoint, respectively.

Remote - If you have an Apple TV, this app will let you control it with your iPad. It's worth mentioning that in the next iOS update, all iPad 2s will be able to "image mirror" to an Apple TV, which means you can see your iPad 2's screen on a big HDTV.

The Elements - Not really necessary, but a truly spectacular periodic table reference from a guy who actually collected every single element prior to, and including, Uranium. It has interactive images and all sorts of fun facts. It probably won't help you much in school, but it'll really tickle your inner nerd.

Flash Cards Deluxe - This is the gold standard application for any student. Basically it's a flash cards program, but it also comes with an online database with pre-made flashcards over practically every subject that ever existed, from medical to hard sciences to humanities... etc etc. I think it's $2.99 which makes it an absolute steal. I already have a complete set of USMLE flash cards.

Thanks for this list. Do you have a link for the USMLE flashcards you found?

Are you still going to stick with NetFlix even though the price will go up in September?

I also have an app I found, "Med Mnemonics" I think it's really cool database of ways to memorize certain pathways and other medically relevant knowledge. And I've also heard of an app where you can set-up your USMLE review plan and incorporate books but that's a little far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.