2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my supplementary in july 15. My letters were submitted mid-august and my transcripts were in before the end of July

Members don't see this ad.

I had my supplementary in july 15. My letters were submitted mid-august and my transcripts were in before the end of July

Check your junk mail, just to make sure. My first emails from them were in that folder.

Nothing in the Junk folder :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing in the Junk folder :(
Usually Dotty will be open with you. Give her a call, tell her your score and ask if that score should have qualified you.

It's possible that the guy who got the interview with a slightly lower score actually miscalculated and has a slightly high score than he thinks. You are probably on the bubble.

Usually Dotty will be open with you. Give her a call, tell her your score and ask if that score should have qualified you.

It's possible that the guy who got the interview with a slightly lower score actually miscalculated and has a slightly high score than he thinks. You are probably on the bubble.

The score is not absolute. I posted this earlier I guess nobody noticed. I know personally of three people last cycle that interviewed out of order for the score. Just check last years thread. The score is the main determinant but not absolute.

I had 0.2 score higher than a friend of mine and he interviewed a week earlier than me. Another friend of mine had 0.3 lower score than someone else I know and the lower score garnered a day earlier interview.

My AMCAS app finally got verified today...I guess I shouldn't complain, though. AMCAS said it would be 4-6 weeks, and it took 27 days, so I guess that's pretty good.

I'm just hoping for a November interview now. My OU score seems competitive with those who got October interviews, so I might have gotten one had I submitted earlier. Oh well...November would still be really good!

Anybody know when they'll decide November's?
MCAT: 31P

:thumbup:Super Congrats to those with Invites!:thumbup:

So is it pretty much the consensus that all of the October invites have gone out?? Someone above mentioned that each of the invites for a given day go out at the same time. I'm an IS 12.38 still hoping :xf: for a word!

Bah! 12.44 undergrad at OU and significant ties to the state and STILL not so much as an email to let me know that they know I exist since submitting my secondary. :(

Hi, I just got my secondary application turned in two days ago, and my AAMCAS application isn't verified yet.

I have an OU score of 11.9.

Do you know how much of a disadvantage I'm at for applying so late with this score? I know I'm definitely not going to have a November interview, so with my score, what are the chances of me getting accepted with a much later interview date? :( thanks everyone...

Hi, I just got my secondary application turned in two days ago, and my AAMCAS application isn't verified yet.

Do you know how much of a disadvantage I'm at for applying so late with this score? I know I'm definitely not going to have a November interview, so with my score, what are the chances of me getting accepted with a much later interview date? :( thanks everyone...

I don't think I'd worry too much if I were you. An 11.9 is a good score, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you didn't get one of the January interviews (I don't think there are any in December.) Plenty of those interviewing in January get acceptances, so I guess now all you have to do is just be patient.

If you are in state, I think you have an excellent chance at a November interview. OU doesn't start looking at apps until September 1, so really you are only a couple weeks late. 11.9 last year got many a November interview.

I had my application completed by the 9/1 deadline and have an October interview with an OU score of 11.9, but I am IS, legacy, and URM. Nevertheless, if the idea that the OU score alone determines early interviews is true, then this is more evidence that you can expect a November interview.

Hope that puts you somewhat at rest during this stressful phase of the application process.

I called Dotty this morning and she said that the people chosen for the October interviews either met or exceeded last year's averages. She also said that there were a few spots left, so they invited the best of the earlier applicants to interview. I guess that explains the discrepancies in the OU score order.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.67 MCAT 27 Early Application
Do I have a chance?

You have a chance, same score as I had. Be prepared to wait.

this has probably been said in this thread, but does anyone know how many OU is taking this year?

I believe they accept around 160 a year, with the actual number of matriculates fluctuating around ~155

In previous years, the numbers floats between 160-170, with last year at 165. I have not seem a class start below 160 in recent years. Accepting is very different than matriculation numbers, accepted can get into the 200's. If someone would email dotty she would give you an answer.

ok thanks for the info. on class size... i researched a bit and found 162-165.

so only 1 week until interviews start! anyone else nervous??

any tips on what will be asked?

Hey guys, I have a formula score of 12.09 (30Q-- you can figure out the rest if you're bored lol). I am not complete yet, because of the additional faculty letter requirement (hopefully will be entered into AMCAS by monday). I'm OOS, but have very strong ties to OK. Any chance for a November interview? Really wishing for the best, and good luck everyone.

any tips on what will be asked?

There's an interview feedback section on SDN with lots of previous questions. My tips? Look over those, know your PS and ECs really well, and relax! Especially with an early interview, they shouldn't get too harsh. (At least, they didn't with me.) Good luck, everyone! :luck:

There's an interview feedback section on SDN with lots of previous questions. My tips? Look over those, know your PS and ECs really well, and relax! Especially with an early interview, they shouldn't get too harsh. (At least, they didn't with me.) Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Knitress, don't tell them to relax. I would be much more fun for us to see them squirm. :D

Seriously, the people with October interviews have NOTHING to worry about. Doesn't matter what you say in the interview as long as it is respectful and informed. OU loves the numbers, especially early.

Knitress, don't tell them to relax. I would be much more fun for us to see them squirm. :D

Seriously, the people with October interviews have NOTHING to worry about. Doesn't matter what you say in the interview as long as it is respectful and informed. OU loves the numbers, especially early.

So I can forget the deodorant and show up late in shorts and a tee shirt?

So I can forget the deodorant and show up late in shorts and a tee shirt?

Wouldn't surprise me. They let someone in last year that wore his tie about four inches from being cinched up and the top two buttons undone on his shirt.

Wouldn't surprise me. They let someone in last year that wore his tie about four inches from being cinched up and the top two buttons undone on his shirt.

I was joking, but it sounds like you were serious.

hahahaha this is making me feel much better! surely i can talk to 3 people for one hour of my life and pass as respectful and informed :)

hahahaha this is making me feel much better! surely i can talk to 3 people for one hour of my life and pass as respectful and informed :)

Honestly, that's about what you need to do. :)

Let us know how the interviews go!

Seems like we have a some people willing to jump on here and brag the minute the acceptance comes in but not willing to share their experiences. Hopefully they are at least filling out the interview feedback.

Seems like we have a some people willing to jump on here and brag the minute the acceptance comes in but not willing to share their experiences. Hopefully they are at least filling out the interview feedback.

I had a biochemistry test on Thursday night (I bombed the test, should have studied more). So I didn't have a lot of time to spend on SDN.

I haven't filled out the interview feedback, since there weren't really any questions. We talked. They challenged my reasons for wanting to be a doctor, they challenged whether it was worth it for the state of Oklahoma to spend money to make me a doctor. We discussed the doctor who wrote my LOR. He had done surgery on one of my interviewers.

It was a high energy interview. I have no idea what this means or what the result will be.

I actually had a biochemistry test on Friday morning. Small world. My experience was much like Edlongshanks's, except maybe less stressful, if that's possible. I had three female interviewers and all we talked about were my extracurriculars, no ethical questions or questions on health policy. Others mentioned having fairly hardcore interviewers though. Strange. All the tour guides seemed real friendly and willing to help though, so I thought that was nice.

Anyone know when November interview invites are released?

Interview was pretty much what you would expect, although mine did last nearly an hour.

I had one interviewer who asked about what role religion played in medicine (I took a Soc. of Rel. class that prompted the question), what are 3 current issues faced my medicine in America, and what I would do about a Jehovah's witness refusing a blood transfusion. The other 2 interviewers were really chill and didn't grill me on anything outside of my AMCAS. The rest of the questions were really predictable (why medicine, why OU, etc.).

I had a very positive experience at OU. The med students were great, very helpful and encouraging. I also had a pretty laid back interview. We talked about life in general, family, etc. I just tried to be as honest as possible.

Some friends of mine did get some stress interviews however. I don't know if this really means anything; it could have just depended on the interviewers they ended up.

After visiting the campus I want to go to ou even more, if that's possible.

The students were more than helpful, just seemed normal and I especially liked how they help each other out... Not as cut throat as many schools which shall remain nameless :)

My interview was overall ok. I wish I could have one answer to do over, but other than that I left with a good feeling. Two of my interviewers were easy for me to connect with, and it was conversational. However, when my third interviewer got involved it became more of an interrogation. I'm hoping it doesn't mean anything more than that is the particular interview style of that person.

Sorry for not getting on sooner (no pun intended... Ou, haha) I've been trying to detach and destress, and didn't think I was ready to read about everyone elses awesome interviews. But it sounds like a few had similar experiences to my own.

Again, I can't tell you how friendly the students/admissions staff were.

They group the ~30 interviewers into groups of ten and have interviews at 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00. I had a pretty intense interviewers. But during our day some did not have a fourth year and had three MD's; however, this was rare from what they said.

One interviewer did most of the talking (~85%) for me and questions were asked that prompted for weird responses rather than the normal questions expected.

Talking to a few friends that had it on the same day it seems like some had really low stress interviews while others had a more intense interview.

For those interested in the community medicine track: My interviews and the group that interviewed with me seemed to all get really positive interviews that just question the interest of the individual for the community track.

Students that took us on tours went out of their way to make us all feel comfortable and really just increased my desire to go to OU. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Interesting that there were so many intense interviews, considering how welcoming they were trying to be throughout the day. I would think it probably doesn't mean much in terms of peoples' applications/qualifications; probably just testing us a bit.

Interesting that there were so many intense interviews, considering how welcoming they were trying to be throughout the day. I would think it probably doesn't mean much in terms of peoples' applications/qualifications; probably just testing us a bit.

I'm really glad to hear about the high-stress interviews of other people. It made me feel better about my own. Since most people who interview early are likely to get acceptances, therefore someone with challenging interviews will still get offers

I feel better after reading everyone's posts too, edlongshanks.

Now the "10 business day" wait... I wish this could be translated into an exact date, on my calendar, so I will know either accepted or not. I swear the whole point of the application process is to see who will crack under the pressure :laugh:

Nov invites will be made before those who have already been interviewed hear word on acceptance, correct?

I feel better after reading everyone's posts too, edlongshanks.

Now the "10 business day" wait... I wish this could be translated into an exact date, on my calendar, so I will know either accepted or not. I swear the whole point of the application process is to see who will crack under the pressure :laugh:

Nov invites will be made before those who have already been interviewed hear word on acceptance, correct?

Haha... I hate to do this to the October people, but my acceptance came 10 calendar days from my interview, so it could be earlier! (Still quite possibly the longest 10 days of my life, though...)

If it goes like last year, the SDN posts about Nov. interviews were before the ones about Oct. acceptances.

Haha... I hate to do this to the October people, but my acceptance came 10 calendar days from my interview, so it could be earlier!

Same here - got my big red envelope 9 calendar days after my interview...as if you all needed more encouragement to obsessively check your mailbox. If you have an unemployed roommate (as I did when I applied) they can be put to good use texting you mail updates everyday for the next 2 weeks haha.

I am really glad to hear that most everyone had a positive interview day experience. Once you come to OU, you can apply to be one of those encouraging smiling faces.

well i have a 12.03 and havent heard anything yet...but im OOS and have no significant ties to oklahoma. also, im from texas and we have 9 med schools...guess i never really expected to hear back anyways, oh well. however it looks like ill be staying in texas anyways! :)

all right so now that i'm obsessing over when this letter will come in the mail...
question: how do i know what address they will send it to?
ALSO, how does the final selection process work... does anyone know? is it the application/grades/MCAT that gets us the interview and the interview then determines if we get in? or does the admissions board (?) review our whole application and the recomendation of the interviewers before deciding.
any thoughts welcome! i'm trying not to stress over the details but it's all i can think about! hopefully i'm not the only crazy person.

What helps me not stress out too much are:

1. I've done all that I can do and the processes are going to be fair for every applicant.
2. Even if a defer is received, I hope that first round status will most likely be high on the wait list.
3. I have a lot of midterms this week so I don't have much time to worry =p

well, 3 very good points there tasooner
i'll try to remember that and not stress... also studying biochem should get my mind off it! haha i knew it was good for something! thanks for the reply

FYI - TGIF, OU started to release round two invites.:). Best friday so far. Just one more hour of work.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to you see there.

Last edited:
Hi everybody!! NOVEMBER INTERVIEW INVITES ARE OUT!! November 18th at 8:15!! 12.05 OU score :)

I got an email today! My interview is November 16!

I'm getting nervous and excited!
MCAT: 31P

Status
Not open for further replies.