2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an email today! My interview is November 16!

I'm getting nervous and excited!
MCAT: 31P

Good luck on the interviews, guys! I think we're all still waiting on some important mail to be delivered. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how to see if your application is complete? I submitted the secondary less than a week ago and tried logging into the secondary again, but all it says is that I've submitted it. Is there a way to tell if they've downloaded my LORs? They are all designated on amcas. I also emailed Dotty to send in a chem exemption letter that my undergrad sends out, and received an email that it's been placed in my file - does that mean they are reviewing it?

Also, does anyone know whether they use the cgpa or sci gpa to determine the OU score?

OOS, but strong ties to the state (physicians in family that work at OU med, currently working here as a research assistant).
35 S
3.5 cgpa
3.3 sgpa
OU score (based on cgpa :)) = 12.39

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Anyone know how to see if your application is complete? I submitted the secondary less than a week ago and tried logging into the secondary again, but all it says is that I've submitted it. Is there a way to tell if they've downloaded my LORs? They are all designated on amcas. I also emailed Dotty to send in a chem exemption letter that my undergrad sends out, and received an email that it's been placed in my file - does that mean they are reviewing it?

Also, does anyone know whether they use the cgpa or sci gpa to determine the OU score?

OOS, but strong ties to the state (physicians in family that work at OU med, currently working here as a research assistant).
35 S
3.5 cgpa
3.3 sgpa
OU score (based on cgpa :)) = 12.39

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

I read in other posts that they use cGPA in their score calculation. In addition I called them to make sure my application was complete with LORs and secondary complete.

My application was complete 10/13/2010 secondaries and all. I'm a reapplicant so I hope they remember me from last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is, does anyone know what percentage of November interview get acceptance?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if OU offers student hosts for the day before/after the interview? I'm OOS and the interview invite says "If you need information on overnight accommodations or transportation to and from the airport, please call.." I'm just wondering if anyone knew they would offer student hosts or just recommend a nearby hotel.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if OU offers student hosts for the day before/after the interview? I'm OOS and the interview invite says "If you need information on overnight accommodations or transportation to and from the airport, please call.." I'm just wondering if anyone knew they would offer student hosts or just recommend a nearby hotel.

Thanks!

I don't believe OU has a hosting program, but I would call to be sure they don't have other accommodations for OOS applicants.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

I don't know of a formal program, but if anybody needs a ride from the airport to a hotel and to the school the next day I would be willing to help out. Just PM me if you need it.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

We actually do host students, its just not particularly widely advertised or utilized. The student organization that hosts the interview days (STAT) has an officer specifically for that purpose. If you get in touch with him, he will do his best to find a student that is able to host you in their home. You can request for information about this from the admissions office.

My question is, does anyone know what percentage of November interview get acceptance?

I doubt anyone will be able to give you a concrete number for this. However, you should keep in mind that the first 120-140 students to interview (Oct, Nov, some Jan) will have the chance to be accepted immediately, while later students will likely be deferred to the end of the admissions cycle to be reconsidered. In other words, the Nov % is probably very close to the high acceptance % you hear about for Oct interviews.

Previous versions of this thread have detailed whole process of how your interviews are scored, how acceptances are awarded, and how your interview date affects your chances. Look in those for the details.

I doubt anyone will be able to give you a concrete number for this. However, you should keep in mind that the first 120-140 students to interview (Oct, Nov, some Jan) will have the chance to be accepted immediately, while later students will likely be deferred to the end of the admissions cycle to be reconsidered. In other words, the Nov % is probably very close to the high acceptance % you hear about for Oct interviews.

Previous versions of this thread have detailed whole process of how your interviews are scored, how acceptances are awarded, and how your interview date affects your chances. Look in those for the details.

Just to note that last year the first 120 acceptances (that was the cut off last year to have the option of an immediate acceptance) were given out before the end of the Nov. interviews. With Approx 30 invites per day and 5 days between Oct and Nov, that means 120 of the first 150 were given acceptances. Nobody given an interview in January or February were given an immediate acceptance last year.

I got my November interview invitation - November 16!!!

How many interview dates in October?

there were 2, and I think there are 2 more coming up in November (maybe more I could be wrong).
on my interview day there were about 30 applicants... so if that is the same for each day, about 120 people are interviewed in Oct/Nov

so the letters should be coming this week... or at least i'm hoping :xf::xf:

congrats and good luck to all with November interview invites!

Members don't see this ad :)
so the letters should be coming this week... or at least i'm hoping :xf::xf:

Sorry, I spoke to Dottie and she said that the acceptance letters won't be going out till the end of next week.

Sorry, I spoke to Dottie and she said that the acceptance letters won't be going out till the end of next week.

oh wow... so for clarification, letters will be mailed around October 29? OR around November 5? If I don't ask, I will just continue to stalk the mailman :)

Can anyone else confirm this? Not that I don't believe you, just that I really don't want to believe you because this waiting is terrible

oh wow... so for clarification, letters will be mailed around October 29? OR around November 5? If I don't ask, I will just continue to stalk the mailman :)

11/3 or 11/4 she said.

Ok thank you for the info. I'm really glad you shared so that I can take a break from worrying about it for a little while!

That was the reason that I asked. It was either that or have an affair with the mailman.

Can anyone else confirm this? Not that I don't believe you, just that I really don't want to believe you because this waiting is terrible

I just called and unfortunately it is true. There is supposed to be an email sent out today about the delays. It is very frustrating to say the least...

I just called and unfortunately it is true. There is supposed to be an email sent out today about the delays. It is very frustrating to say the least...

Email says they will be sent out the week of Nov. 8th at the latest....Wonder what the "unexpected delays" were

Just curious - when was your secondary complete?

I finished the secondary the last week in September and then I called Dotty the next day to confirm everything was complete.

I just received the email today with my interview invite for November 19th. Does anyone know what all days they are holding interviews in November?

in-state
MCAT: 39O
cGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
OU score: 14.00

I just received the email today with my interview invite for November 19th. Does anyone know what all days they are holding interviews in November?

in-state
MCAT: 39O
cGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
OU score: 14.00

Just from reading the posts it seems like 16th, 18th, and yours 19th so far.

From what I've heard, acceptance letters have arrived in Oklahoma City!!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

Just got a call from parents who received my letter! OU class of '15!

Congrats OkieDoc!!!

I haven't gotten a letter yet, and my parents have not either. Do you know how I can find out which address the letter will be sent to? Thanks and congratulations again!

Hey all,

I have two friends that have received letters and I have seen one in person. I believe they use your AMCAS preferred mailing address. So it may take a few additional days to reach some applicants (more waiting yay!) but I know they are floating out there.

Got a big red envelope today! It's a great feeling! Good luck to all other applicants! :luck::luck::luck:

Congrats to everyone with acceptances. I have a question for those of you who interviewed with the School of Community Medicine. How long was it before you received an interview invitation from them after you received your regular interview invite?

From Dotty's email: "You will receive separate correspondence regarding an interview with the School of Community Medicine if you indicated an interest on your supplemental application and completed their application. *Those interviews will take place in the afternoon on the same day as your College of Medicine interview."

My guess is that since SoCM interviews would be the same day as normal interviews, you should have heard something by now.

I assumed I would have heard something by now as well, but I thought they would probably send something one way or another, even if I wasn't receiving an interview. I was just curious what experience others have had with the process.

Sorry about that! I didn't mean to be rude about it! I just realized it could've come off that way. Good luck with your interview! :D

Sorry about that! I didn't mean to be rude about it! I just realized it could've come off that way. Good luck with your interview! :D

No rudeness taken. Thanks! :)

EDIT: I just called the School of Community Medicine and apparently the email just didn't come through. Interview offer for the 19th. :D

Last edited:
The school of community medicine interview was very laid back and informal. CoM interviewers leave around 1:00PM and then you are carted away with other SCM interviewers where you will have the opportunity to discuss with current students, a brief presentation of the goals of the SCM, financial incentives of attending SCM.

Definitely mailed off those pre-matriculation forms without writing down the link to the deposit payment. I really do need a vacation

I assumed I would have heard something by now as well, but I thought they would probably send something one way or another, even if I wasn't receiving an interview. I was just curious what experience others have had with the process.

Someone told me that all those who are interviewed for the OKC are also extended an interview offer for the Tulsa track if they completed the extra essay questions on the supplemental and indicated interest in the SCM track. It might've just gotten lost and sometimes email accounts are setup with more stringent spam blockers, You could call the SCM person up and ask, her number is 918 660 3092

EDIT: OOPS, nevermind I didn't see your other post, excuse this post.

Last edited:
Definitely mailed off those pre-matriculation forms without writing down the link to the deposit payment. I really do need a vacation

I think the link would be pretty easy to find. What might be a little more difficult would be your new ID number and the other number that was printed on there... I guess just call?

Are there any interviews in december and have those invites gone out?

Reading through previous years' threads, there have been no December interviews, only October, November, January, and February.

October interviews are given out in September, November interviews in October, and January and February interviews both in November.

I believe that's the case, but anyone should correct me if I'm mistaken so I don't keep saying the wrong thing.

Hope that helps!

Reading through previous years' threads, there have been no December interviews, only October, November, January, and February.

October interviews are given out in September, November interviews in October, and January and February interviews both in November.

I believe that's the case, but anyone should correct me if I'm mistaken so I don't keep saying the wrong thing.

Hope that helps!

Unless something changes this year, I think you're right. Seems like they take a break with interviews during December and start back up in January and February, when there will be quite a few dates.

I had my interview this morning! Now it's just time to wait. If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Good luck to everyone else through the entire process! :laugh:

I had my interview this morning! Now it's just time to wait. If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Good luck to everyone else through the entire process! :laugh:

If you don't mind, What were you asked?

Any healthcare/ethical questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.