University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody applying to UT pharm this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I can already tell you now that this thread is gonna be moving at a pretty slow pace because Texas schools are always late in the app cycle.

Well, UTs app is open now I know.... but oh ok. dang.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping I get in for the student price on football season tickets. :horns:

In a month or so it will pick up. I can honestly say that their tuition rate is pretty much the best I have ever seen. One of the advisors there told me a little over $7000 per semester.:thumbup:

yea im pretty excited about it, I hope I can make it in. Their app opened aug 1st do you think any people have submitted their app already?

yea im pretty excited about it, I hope I can make it in. Their app opened aug 1st do you think any people have submitted their app already?

Doesn't matter. The school is not rolling admissions. As long as you apply before the deadline in January I believe, you will be fine. Just be aware that they are one of the top schools and admittance is really competitive.

Can't say I know much about their program, but as soon as you enter the building, there is a floor-to-ceiling book shelf with a bunch of old- school drug containers with original labels that you can pick up to take a closer look. Thought that was pretty neat when I visited last week! : )

Can't say I know much about their program, but as soon as you enter the building, there is a floor-to-ceiling book shelf with a bunch of old- school drug containers with original labels that you can pick up to take a closer look. Thought that was pretty neat when I visited last week! : )

I think they are the oldest pharmacy school in Texas.

I'll be applying this cycle......

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to all the applicants this year! =D

Applying this cycle too. Just waiting for my PCAT scores I took in August. I hope I did well, if not I will be taking the PCAT in October and won't apply until after the test.

anybody go hear Dr. Wilcox talk today? I now feel like UT Pharm is the Mother Theresa School of Pharmacy, it seems like they value volunteer/service way more than any other school...

Applying this cycle too. Just waiting for my PCAT scores I took in August. I hope I did well, if not I will be taking the PCAT in October and won't apply until after the test.

Dr. Wilcox said today that the PCAT is the least important component of the application process to him and that he doesnt advise putting effort into retaking it....haha

Dr. Wilcox said today that the PCAT is the least important component of the application process to him and that he doesnt advise putting effort into retaking it....haha
Seriously??? Lol...my GPA is pretty mediocre though. =/

Seriously??? Lol...my GPA is pretty mediocre though. =/

yea, by FARRRRRRRRR the most important thing to the UT adcom is volunteer service, basically if you 'devote your life to service' etc... grades are only to show them you are capable of the coursework, but thats not what will get you in, it might get you an interview.... He said the resume is the first thing he looks at, specifically the work experience (preferably paid) for how long, what types of pharmacy work, and then volunteering (how much, for how long) etc..

yea, by FARRRRRRRRR the most important thing to the UT adcom is volunteer service, basically if you 'devote your life to service' etc... grades are only to show them you are capable of the coursework, but thats not what will get you in, it might get you an interview.... He said the resume is the first thing he looks at, specifically the work experience (preferably paid) for how long, what types of pharmacy work, and then volunteering (how much, for how long) etc..
I see I see. I don't have very many volunteer hours. But I work as a pharm tech and been working there for about 2 years.

That's true...he also said that a pharmacist recommendation is important like 20 times...... :eek: (I've never worked in a pharmacy)

I hope the PCAT is the least important thing cuz i think thats my only weak point. Has anyone been denied an interview cuz of PCAT scores
Speaking of resumes is this a good resume:

4 years as a Pharmacy technician
2 years pharmacist shadowing
1 year as a intern for pharmacology and toxicology

what if you cant get a recommendation from a pharmacist (the one i shadowed died of a heart attack 3 months ago and he was the only one i shadowed)

I heard Ut-Austin also calculates the GPA by the school you had the most units, i went to 5 different schools, so can anyone put insight in this?

I hope the PCAT is the least important thing cuz i think thats my only weak point. Has anyone been denied an interview cuz of PCAT scores

what if you cant get a recommendation from a pharmacist (the one i shadowed died of a heart attack 3 months ago and he was the only one i shadowed)

I heard Ut-Austin also calculates the GPA by the school you had the most units, i went to 5 different schools, so can anyone put insight in this?

Your experience looks pretty good to me. Can you get a recommendation from a pharmacist where you worked as a tech for 4 years?

My weakest area is in volunteering. I did some volunteering here and there as an undergraduate but not much. Ever since I graduated 3 years ago, I've been mostly working full-time.

My resume includes:

Pharmacy Technician (just about 1 year now)
Research Technician/Research Associate for a Clinical research company (1.5 years)

Well you both have pharmacy technician experience---a good letter from a pharmacist you know professionally should give you a huge edge...for UT

for me...I have my technician license...just waiting for my registration with the state..and I don't know...

A few ideas...(small rant)

-UT expects us to have worked in a pharmacy long enough to get a recommendation letter.

-UT expects us to be able to work in a pharmacy during the school semester

-It's brutally hard to find a technician job without any prior experience...not to mention to get hours that fit your schedule...

I'm not sure how they expect people to do all this....i feel like only people who have good connections or have always wanted to go into pharmacy (and started doing EC's for pharmacy since they were 16) even have a chance of getting in.

Background...
I've just decided on pharmacy this january....and I've been trying to do everything I can to get in....but it seems like I've hit a dead end with getting a recommendation from a pharmacist...

/rant

I called every CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, and privately owned pharmacies to find a technician job. It took me about 3 months but I finally got a job cause I kept calling back. Most pharmacies start looking for more help in the fall because people get sick and they get more hours. During the summer most pharmacies get their hours cut so full-timers usually get all the hours. Just don't lose hope on finding a job. Plus, if you work hard at the job, there is no doubt in my mind that a pharmacist would write you a letter. I'm lucky enough to have 3 pharmacists offering to write me one. They might do the same for you. Just keep calling around or even going to the pharmacies and talking with the manager or the lead tech there.

Your experience looks pretty good to me. Can you get a recommendation from a pharmacist where you worked as a tech for 4 years?

My weakest area is in volunteering. I did some volunteering here and there as an undergraduate but not much. Ever since I graduated 3 years ago, I've been mostly working full-time.

My resume includes:

Pharmacy Technician (just about 1 year now)
Research Technician/Research Associate for a Clinical research company (1.5 years)

Volunteering is my weakest link as well. I have done maybe 16 hours of volunteer work the past 4 years. It's hard to find time to volunteer when working full time & taking care of 2 kids. But I have worked as a pharm tech for over 6 years. Worked 5 years in retail pharmacy, a little over 1 year in mail order & insurance (dealt with Medicare Part D). But I have been out of the pharmacy field for 4 years. I just hope my CPhT work experience helps me get in.

-UT expects us to be able to work in a pharmacy during the school semester

Are you referring to the 200 hours "pharmacy practice experience" requirement? Because that's just intern hours that they want you to do before your P4 year, and you can do that during the summer (when you don't have to worry about classes). Plus, if you work 200 hours as a tech, that requirement is waived.

I called every CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, and privately owned pharmacies to find a technician job. It took me about 3 months but I finally got a job cause I kept calling back. Most pharmacies start looking for more help in the fall because people get sick and they get more hours. During the summer most pharmacies get their hours cut so full-timers usually get all the hours. Just don't lose hope on finding a job. Plus, if you work hard at the job, there is no doubt in my mind that a pharmacist would write you a letter. I'm lucky enough to have 3 pharmacists offering to write me one. They might do the same for you. Just keep calling around or even going to the pharmacies and talking with the manager or the lead tech there.

Thanks Nervous--Yeah I've learned that for most decent people. if you work hard for them they will work hard for you...but i have this problem. skip to (a)

Laura-I meant what Nervous implied in his/her post-----since pharmacies cut hours in the summer and have more hours in the fall...you basically HAVE to work in the fall...which is easy if you're a senior in high school. For everyone else? not so much.

(a) So it takes alot of time and persistence to find a pharmacy technician job in the first place, and you have to haul *** to do it during it school semester (because no one will hire you if you can only work the summer..esp if you don't have any experience)- while keeping competitive with school, volunteer, and clubs.

-I'm pretty much out of time since I'm applying this cycle...
But even if I was going to push it to next cycle...i would be stuck with a scary schedule --> (and upper division courses DO get harder..so i've heard...)

TL;DR: If you don't have a pharmacy technician job yet and you're out of High School...hope you have good connections.

Why can't you just ask the pharmacists who supervised you?

anybody go hear Dr. Wilcox talk today? I now feel like UT Pharm is the Mother Theresa School of Pharmacy, it seems like they value volunteer/service way more than any other school...

Yup, I was there Tuesday.

Do yall know what GPA they look at? Do they consider all classes taken or only look at the pre-pharm pre-req courses?

Not yet....Hopefully I will be able to submit my app by November since it's not rolling admissions there.

:hello:

I've been reading posts on this website for about a year now, and figured it is about time to sign up!! I'll be applying for 2011 soon and love everyone's posts and feedback!!

I saw the post about how UT does not look too closely at PCAT scores ... I'm taking it this Saturday (Oct. 16) after getting a 65 on the August test.

How bad is my first score? I usually work full time during the week, but I have taken off all next week to study so my grade will hopefully go up. I'm getting a little nervous now that the time to submit my app is approaching!!

I have an "okay" GPA around 3.3 and about 8 years pharmacy experience, with 6 years CPhT. I have multiple pharmacist recommendations but little volunteer work.

I've been told just about everything imaginable about which area is more important... just thought I'd see what you guys think!

@hopeful- 65..is bad. For UT you need do better to have a shot. I don't want to make you feel like crap, but study your --- off this week...The average PCAT is 78 or something.

3.3 isn't great, but it doesn't count you out- I know a girl who got in with a 3.2, but that definitely is an exception, not the rule.

8 Years experience? with 6 as a technician? and very good recommendations? that is really good. I don't have ANY experience in a pharmacy :mad:

Right now your GPA and PCAT are below Par, but your pharmacy experience is waaaayy above par, and I've heard that pharmacy experience is what they care about the most.

So I think...Overall, if you get your PCAT up (shoot for an 80....all subsections >70) and can talk your way through the interview I think you have a decent shot of getting in.

Take everything i've said with a grain of salt though,
cuz I'm trying to get in this year too :D

Saiyo

Im going to apply here. Also my school has a Co-op program with them that ill apply for. I dont like the UT school app though.

:hello:

I've been reading posts on this website for about a year now, and figured it is about time to sign up!! I'll be applying for 2011 soon and love everyone's posts and feedback!!

I saw the post about how UT does not look too closely at PCAT scores ... I'm taking it this Saturday (Oct. 16) after getting a 65 on the August test.

How bad is my first score? I usually work full time during the week, but I have taken off all next week to study so my grade will hopefully go up. I'm getting a little nervous now that the time to submit my app is approaching!!

I have an "okay" GPA around 3.3 and about 8 years pharmacy experience, with 6 years CPhT. I have multiple pharmacist recommendations but little volunteer work.

I've been told just about everything imaginable about which area is more important... just thought I'd see what you guys think!

I pretty sure you will get an interview. Your pharmacy experience is awesome. If you can nail the interview and bring your PCAT up a little, I don't doubt that you will get in.

Im applying for next fall too.

I haven't submitted recommendation requests via the online recommendation system yet. My question is are we allowed to changed who receives an email from UT Austin or resend a request after we have given them two emails? Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Yes you can. If you go into the recommendation system, you can resend the LOR request or change evaluators. I had to resend one of my evaluators a request since he wasn't getting it done. Luckily, my app's now complete. :)

Yes you can. If you go into the recommendation system, you can resend the LOR request or change evaluators. I had to resend one of my evaluators a request since he wasn't getting it done. Luckily, my app's now complete. :)

Thank you! I might have to send multiple requests as a reminder too

Better yet... maybe remind them in person instead of spamming their email account?

I can't remind them in person, since I'm in a different city now, but I will probably try calling them first before emailing them again.

I'm applying to both UT Austin and UH. Haven't started on my applications yet as I've been studying for the PCAT! Saturday will be the first time I'm taking it. Hopefully I do well as it's my only shot for this cycle.:xf:

I'm getting a little worried that they have not received some of my transcripts yet. I requested them on September 30th but still show not received on the status check. I checked with my colleges that mailed them and they stated that they mailed them off already. I wonder how long it takes for them to update the status of the transcripts. Anyone know?

I'm getting a little worried that they have not received some of my transcripts yet. I requested them on September 30th but still show not received on the status check. I checked with my colleges that mailed them and they stated that they mailed them off already. I wonder how long it takes for them to update the status of the transcripts. Anyone know?

Mine showed up pretty quickly, but most of my classes were already taken at UT and my other transcripts came from Austin and Fort Worth. If you're sending yours in from schools that are further away (esp. out of state), I'm sure it takes a little longer. You might want to check with your sending insitution or UT just to be sure though.