University of Texas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what I'd assume but that hasn't stopped me from checking my application status daily!

Are you still waiting for your transcript to be received too? My patience is wearing thin! Haha I'm just paranoid.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to find previously asked interview questions for UT COP?

Thanks!

Are you still waiting for your transcript to be received too? My patience is wearing thin! Haha I'm just paranoid.

Yes I am. I even called my school to make sure they've sent out the transcripts. Sent out on the 23rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everybody,

Im still not sure if I want to University of Texas (my first choice) apply here even tho the deadline is coming up fast. here are my stats

45 composite on both times
all sub-scores the higher of the two times I took
67 chemistry
75 math
51 biology
45 reading
50 verbal

3.65 pre-pharmacy GPA
3.65 cumulative GPA

4 years as a pharmacy technician
1 year volunteering with pharmacist
1 year intern pharmacy/toxicology

3.5 Fall semester GPA
remaining pre-reqs: Organic chemistry II, genetics
no grade less than a B
two withdrawals (none in pre-pharmacy courses)
LOR from a pharmacist and another employer
I think good essays (2 english teachers proofread it)

I heard from previous posts that the PCAT holds the least weight (also happens to be my weak point). can anybody confirm this

Does the PCAT play a big role in getting an interview or can my GPA, pharmacy experience and recommendations offset it?

A 45 composite is low but your other stats look good. Do you also do any volunteer work or are you an officer in any organization? UT also looks favorably if you have a prior degree.

When I had called UT to ask about PCAT scores in the past, they told me just because someone has a low or moderate PCAT score it doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically disqualified from being considered. Same goes for someone who has a high GPA and high PCAT - no guaranteed admission. They told me they consider a 50 a moderate PCAT score though the majority of the accepted students have a higher sore.

If you don't apply, you will have a 0% chance of getting and you may wonder what if. I don't think it would hurt to apply beyond the money required for the application fees.

I agree. I you are like me, I wouldn't be able to stand not knowing whether or not I would have got in. I only had 3 days to study for the PCAT my 4th time to take it and thought I did so bad that I almost marked the "no-score" option. I somehow managed to make a 90th% composite score which as a leap from my previous score of 67.
Moral of the story is to just apply anyway, never know what may happen. If you don't get in, take some time off, retake the PCAT, and then apply next year.

Does anybody know if the PCAT still plays the least role in determining interview grants. I heard somewhere back in the first page or two about Dr Wilcox saying the PCAT has the least importance. Wanted to know if its a rumor or not?

Does anybody know if the PCAT still plays the least role in determining interview grants. I heard somewhere back in the first page or two about Dr Wilcox saying the PCAT has the least importance. Wanted to know if its a rumor or not?

Not a rumor. I was there. heard and saw him say it. It's legit unfortunately...

Not a rumor. I was there. heard and saw him say it. It's legit unfortunately...

So what is the criteria UT uses then to consider for interview grant. I heard pharmacy experience is helpful but ive done only some volunteering on the side. anything else besides LORs, GPA, essays since the PCAT is considered the least important?

So what is the criteria UT uses then to consider for interview grant. I heard pharmacy experience is helpful but ive done only some volunteering on the side. anything else besides LORs, GPA, essays since the PCAT is considered the least important?

Well. That's an intense question that only the adcom would really be able to answer, but I would say volunteering then lors and pharm exp then gpa then essays and pcat in that order. I don't think they really stress the essays. Gpa is their main academic indicator. Lors and volunteering for character interpretation and pharm exp is important to them, up there maybe most important

Well. That's an intense question that only the adcom would really be able to answer, but I would say volunteering then lors and pharm exp then gpa then essays and pcat in that order. I don't think they really stress the essays. Gpa is their main academic indicator. Lors and volunteering for character interpretation and pharm exp is important to them, up there maybe most important

well we both have a 3.6 so I hope that helps to our cause. I see that ur from austin, TX so is UT is your first choice. its a pretty good deal if your a texas resident its like 60k total right. even my first choice UCSF is 40k more than UT (out of state 1 year then in-state 3 yr tuition). Is Dr Wilcox the one that reads our apps/academic record/essay or one of the adcom ppl. Thanks for the feedback btw.

well we both have a 3.6 so I hope that helps to our cause. I see that ur from austin, TX so is UT is your first choice. its a pretty good deal if your a texas resident its like 60k total right. even my first choice UCSF is 40k more than UT (out of state 1 year then in-state 3 yr tuition). Is Dr Wilcox the one that reads our apps/academic record/essay or one of the adcom ppl. Thanks for the feedback btw.

we'll see. UT seems to value alot of components of application, so its pretty hard to judge.. I'm pretty sure UT is my first choice; there are several things I don't like about the program but leaving Austin is not something I want to do unless I have to. I'm not so concerned with tuition at this point, but staying instate would be cheapest yes. Dr. Wilcox is the assistant dean of admissions; he chairs the admission committee, gives admission lectures etc.. essentially he makes the calls/seems to have the most say in admission. I doubt he himself reviews every app/reads every essay, but I'm sure he calls the shots when the commitee meets to review each applicant. I know he also does some of the interviews (hopefully not mine :D).

Members don't see this ad :)
we'll see. UT seems to value alot of components of application, so its pretty hard to judge.. I'm pretty sure UT is my first choice; there are several things I don't like about the program but leaving Austin is not something I want to do unless I have to. I'm not so concerned with tuition at this point, but staying instate would be cheapest yes. Dr. Wilcox is the assistant dean of admissions; he chairs the admission committee, gives admission lectures etc.. essentially he makes the calls/seems to have the most say in admission. I doubt he himself reviews every app/reads every essay, but I'm sure he calls the shots when the commitee meets to review each applicant. I know he also does some of the interviews (hopefully not mine :D).

Would you mind elaborating on what you don't like about the program? I applied to UH and UT and have been weighing the pros and cons of each school. Of course I type this while I'm wearing my Longhorn hoodie. haha.

Would you mind elaborating on what you don't like about the program? I applied to UH and UT and have been weighing the pros and cons of each school. Of course I type this while I'm wearing my Longhorn hoodie. haha.

I will answer your question, but before I do so I want to say a few things, as sharing opinions on msg boards can be pretty dangerous sometimes..

-I am NOT trying to get anybody here to change their minds, or anything even remotely like that

-These are my personal reasons, likely will not apply to anybody else

-I have alot of respect for the program, i'm convinced its a great school for many many reasons

here goes;

program: Not really sure what any 'emphasis' of their program would be, a few years ago I would have said research, but lately I wouldn't really say so.. Its nice to at least know what your program will focus on, but having a 'well-rounded' program is never a bad thing.. Sometimes I feel like UTPharm has seen its better days, some of the legendary faculty have retired in recent years; this also can especially be seen in the pharm building itself, which I will say is run down, even the new building.. Both buildings to me look like gnarly dilapidated 60s high schools or something... Now, given that the other schools ive visited so far pretty much all had brand new facillities (which is fairly important to me personally) its not quite a fair comparison I suppose, but the UT pharm school buildings are def not inspiring places to learn imo. especially compared to say UCDenver's Anschutz Medical Campus, UIChicago's health center, or even belmonts new pharm facilities. The old UTpharm buildings are in the middle of campus, with a bunch of other old buildings... sometimes I feel like I would be more inspired and motivated to study a health care prof. curriculum if i was within a health care focused environment outside of just the one building I'd be spending all my time in..but i digress, IF you are into research they offer one of the only pharmd/phd programs in texas, maybe the only one? and they have some excellent research faculty. It seems like most of the faculty at UT are recruited mainly for their research interests however.. Also, UT is a masssssive public university, I get the feeling that students can have the same kind of 'detached' feeling that I have felt through undergrad here at UT. It seems like for the most part, students postgraduation plans are for community, which is normal although not my own plans for the immediate future after I graduate. I would ideally prefer a program with a slight clinical focus.

Curriculum: UT frontloads the **** out of their curriculum. As it stands now there is a 20 hour semester with 10 classes, although it seems this has changed a bit. You still take 9 classes in the first fall, then 10 classes in the first spring however. Also, A&P, Biochem, PChem, and Pharmaceutics ( a serrrrious class im told) are all taken at the same time your first semester. In other words, the curriculum is very tough from what I have gathered, tougher that alot of other programs at the start at least.

Location: after living in austin for virtually all my life, sometimes I feel like I'd like to live somewhere else nice, like denver or chicago, but 4 years seems like a long time when transferring isnt an option realistically.

All in all, despite having qualms with the curriculum and environment, I really don't want to leave austin unless I have to.

Anyone know when they send the first batch of interview invites out?

Since the app deadline is January 6 and the interview notification start going out two weeks later do you think it is a numbers game for interviews (GPA and PCAT scores). I know there is more to the application than that but can they really review all the applicants and determine who gets an interview in 2-3 weeks? just asking

program: Not really sure what any 'emphasis' of their program would be, a few years ago I would have said research, but lately I wouldn't really say so.. Its nice to at least know what your program will focus on, but having a 'well-rounded' program is never a bad thing.. Sometimes I feel like UTPharm has seen its better days, some of the legendary faculty have retired in recent years; this also can especially be seen in the pharm building itself, which I will say is run down, even the new building.. Both buildings to me look like gnarly dilapidated 60s high schools or something... Now, given that the other schools ive visited so far pretty much all had brand new facillities (which is fairly important to me personally) its not quite a fair comparison I suppose, but the UT pharm school buildings are def not inspiring places to learn imo. especially compared to say UCDenver's Anschutz Medical Campus, UIChicago's health center, or even belmonts new pharm facilities. The old UTpharm buildings are in the middle of campus, with a bunch of other old buildings... sometimes I feel like I would be more inspired and motivated to study a health care prof. curriculum if i was within a health care focused environment outside of just the one building I'd be spending all my time in..but i digress, IF you are into research they offer one of the only pharmd/phd programs in texas, maybe the only one? and they have some excellent research faculty. It seems like most of the faculty at UT are recruited mainly for their research interests however.. Also, UT is a masssssive public university, I get the feeling that students can have the same kind of 'detached' feeling that I have felt through undergrad here at UT. It seems like for the most part, students postgraduation plans are for community, which is normal although not my own plans for the immediate future after I graduate. I would ideally prefer a program with a slight clinical focus.

Curriculum: UT frontloads the **** out of their curriculum. As it stands now there is a 20 hour semester with 10 classes, although it seems this has changed a bit. You still take 9 classes in the first fall, then 10 classes in the first spring however. Also, A&P, Biochem, PChem, and Pharmaceutics ( a serrrrious class im told) are all taken at the same time your first semester. In other words, the curriculum is very tough from what I have gathered, tougher that alot of other programs at the start at least.

Location: after living in austin for virtually all my life, sometimes I feel like I'd like to live somewhere else nice, like denver or chicago, but 4 years seems like a long time when transferring isnt an option realistically.

All in all, despite having qualms with the curriculum and environment, I really don't want to leave austin unless I have to.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

UT is massive but I didn't feel detached when I did my undergrad there because of heavy involvement with student organizations. I think UT is the only one that offers a concurrent PharmD/PhD program but you can also get a PhD at UH after completion of the PharmD.

My focus is also clinical so I'm looking for a program that has a more case-based teaching style since patients typically present with multiple disease states. Do you know if UT offers that?

Chicago is nice in late spring, summer, and early fall. It's pretty miserable 6 months out of the year especially if you're not used to the bitter, windy sub-zero temperatures. I've worked with one of the UIC Pharmacy faculty member before. It's definitely a good program and nice facility since it's in the heart of the Illinois Medical District.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

UT is massive but I didn't feel detached when I did my undergrad there because of heavy involvement with student organizations. I think UT is the only one that offers a concurrent PharmD/PhD program but you can also get a PhD at UH after completion of the PharmD.

My focus is also clinical so I'm looking for a program that has a more case-based teaching style since patients typically present with multiple disease states. Do you know if UT offers that?

Chicago is nice in late spring, summer, and early fall. It's pretty miserable 6 months out of the year especially if you're not used to the bitter, windy sub-zero temperatures. I've worked with one of the UIC Pharmacy faculty member before. It's definitely a good program and nice facility since it's in the heart of the Illinois Medical District.

Im pretty sure UT's PT curriculum-style is similar to most, breaking down disciplines into groups of disease states by physiology system and studying/working with them in a sequential fashion. I am not aware of any 'special' details within their PT system as of now.

On UIC, yes I share the same concerns about the cold; but I definitely did like what I saw up there. It is currently my 3rd choice behind UTAustin and UCDenver.

Does anyone know how strict the UT Admissions Office is over receiving transcripts? It says it must be "submitted" by the Jan 6 deadline - but due to the holiday break, my school is not sending out the transcript till today (1/3). I'm just afraid I might be cutting it too close to the deadline and would absolutely HATE to have an incomplete file due to the lack of a Fall 2010 transcript.

Would you recommend ordering another one and having it expedited? Or does UT allow it to be postmarked by 1/6?? I'm on the verge of freaking out guys >< please helppp! :(

Finally submitted my app today. Now the waiting begins. :scared:

The transcripts must be in their office by the 6th. I personally went to my schools today and over-night it.

Quick question: the only thing lacking on my application is for my fall transcript to be received. On the application status page, it has the Fall 2010 transcript in red and also the PharmD application in red. Only when I click on the pharm application link, everything is blue. So does that mean it's only red because they haven't entered in my transcript? This probably seems like a dumb question, but I'm just curious. Thanks for any input!

Quick question: the only thing lacking on my application is for my fall transcript to be received. On the application status page, it has the Fall 2010 transcript in red and also the PharmD application in red. Only when I click on the pharm application link, everything is blue. So does that mean it's only red because they haven't entered in my transcript? This probably seems like a dumb question, but I'm just curious. Thanks for any input!

Call this lady

Spencer, Ann Student Affairs & Advising
PHR 5.108A
(512)471-4425 [email protected]
She was pretty helpful with the issues I had with application/transcripts. If she cannot answer your question, most likely she will email you to Dr Wilcox, who is pretty fast with responding emails

BTW can anybody answer my previous post. Im really curious how fast they evaluate our apps

Call this lady

Spencer, Ann Student Affairs & Advising
PHR 5.108A
(512)471-4425 [email protected]
She was pretty helpful with the issues I had with application/transcripts. If she cannot answer your question, most likely she will email you to Dr Wilcox, who is pretty fast with responding emails

BTW can anybody answer my previous post. Im really curious how fast they evaluate our apps

Thanks for the info! She didn't answer, but I'll try again later. While your transcript was waiting to be processed, was your pharm d application red? I can't think of any other reason why it would be since it says everything has been received already.

Is there any way to find previously asked interview questions for UT COP?

Thanks!

There's also SDN's Interview Feedback section. We have all of the schools listed there. In addition to reading what others have posted, feel free to post your own experiences when applicable. :idea:

I was able to reach Ann and she told me that UT closed on December 24th for the holidays and just re-opened. It is possible that the transcripts have not yet been processed yet. The best thing to do is to continue checking your application status everyday as they batch process them at 2 A.M.

She stated that as long as the postmark date is prior to January 6 and you have a receipt indicating you requested a transcript prior to the deadline date, then it's fine if it arrives past the deadline. However, if they still don't have it later then to request a new transcript and have it expedited. Also, the bulk of the interview dates take place in February.

As for what UT Austin looks for in a candidate, it seems like they rank them based upon GPA, PCAT, Pharmacy experience, LORs, and the interview with the PCAT being the least important component. The information I gathered from the UT Austin thread last year is that 20% of the decision is based upon the application and 80% on the interview. If anyone can confirm for this cycle, that'd be great.

I have the same problem as you. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

To clarify, my last post was in reference to the pharmd app status being red, but upon clicking on it, everything's blue (Chemnerd's question).

I was able to reach Ann and she told me that UT closed on December 24th for the holidays and just re-opened. It is possible that the transcripts have not yet been processed yet. The best thing to do is to continue checking your application status everyday as they batch process them at 2 A.M.

She stated that as long as the postmark date is prior to January 6 and you have a receipt indicating you requested a transcript prior to the deadline date, then it's fine if it arrives past the deadline. However, if they still don't have it later then to request a new transcript and have it expedited. Also, the bulk of the interview dates take place in February.

As for what UT Austin looks for in a candidate, it seems like they rank them based upon GPA, PCAT, Pharmacy experience, LORs, and the interview with the PCAT being the least important component. The information I gathered from the UT Austin thread last year is that 20% of the decision is based upon the application and 80% on the interview. If anyone can confirm for this cycle, that'd be great.

Cool thanks for the feedback, since interview invitation come out in like two weeks, they have time to go thru all of that in such a short period?

If you have issues about transcripts, email Dr Wilcox, he gave me an extension (mostly because my fall grades till havent been posted:mad:). But you have to email him and get the nod from him in order to play it safe. good luck on the rest of applications, particularly this one

Last edited:
I just checked my application status this morning. The status is now showing "We've received all the items needed to review your application for admission." Woohoo!

Last edited:
Where does it say that statement? Mine doesn't say that. However, I attend UT so I didn't need to send any transcripts.

Nevermind. I e-mailed someone about it and they told me that my application was marked as complete.

Mine still isn't marked as complete. The undergraduate application is, but not pharmd for some reason. Hopefully it will be updated soon since I submitted everything 3 weeks ago. Hmm

Keep checking on your status. They told me they should have everything up within days.
I sent my transcripts early Dec and they just put it in the system today.
I requested my high school transcript on the 3rd, hopefully it gets there today 5th or 6th. I'm getting really nervous about this. I'm still wondering why they need my high school transcript. I just got my undergrad degree =/

My status just changed to "Application and required documents were received on time." God please I hope I get in. These next few weeks are going to be... fun :) .

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while browsing the web. I learned a lot about what UT wants, but that made me a little nervous. UT would be my first choice since it is a great school and close to home, but I hear it is really competitive.

My main concern is that I do not have the pharmacy experience to get in. I have absolutely no previous pharmacy experience, so I am hoping the rest of my application pulls me up.

I have a 4.0 GPA at the University of Oklahoma, and I will receive my bachelors degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry this spring. I also scored 99% on the PCAT. I did not do much volunteering the first two years of undergraduate work, but the past year and a half, I have put in around 50 hours a semester into community service.

Does anyone know if I will stand a chance at UT without pharm experience? It is probably the most competitive school I will apply to.

Also, to people worried about their transcript getting there on time, just talk to the people at the school. My school was not able to send out Fall grades until the 3rd, so they said it would be fine if my transcript came in a little late.

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while browsing the web. I learned a lot about what UT wants, but that made me a little nervous. UT would be my first choice since it is a great school and close to home, but I hear it is really competitive.

My main concern is that I do not have the pharmacy experience to get in. I have absolutely no previous pharmacy experience, so I am hoping the rest of my application pulls me up.

I have a 4.0 GPA at the University of Oklahoma, and I will receive my bachelors degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry this spring. I also scored 99% on the PCAT. I did not do much volunteering the first two years of undergraduate work, but the past year and a half, I have put in around 50 hours a semester into community service.

Does anyone know if I will stand a chance at UT without pharm experience? It is probably the most competitive school I will apply to.

Also, to people worried about their transcript getting there on time, just talk to the people at the school. My school was not able to send out Fall grades until the 3rd, so they said it would be fine if my transcript came in a little late.

Sounds like you have a serious app package together. Wilcox said at an LPPA meeting that he has denied ppl with 4.0/99s before, but I cant imagine you'd be the one in that category that gets denied. I know pharmacy experience is very important to UTCOP however, so you need to be prepared to answer a question as to why you have zero, hopefully that was in your essays or something.. It sounds like you have good volunteering going, keep that up as it will balance with your lack of pharm exp possibly. Honestly, I'd say youve got a pretty safe bet, the only stipulation would be that nobody really knows how important pharm exp is to them. Hopefully youve got some other 'softs' on your app, maybe research or extracurricular stuff bc your package is lacking in an important area. IMO you sound like a better candidate for a PhD or perhaps PharmD/PhD with your degrees etc....

For those that are doing the online application, the UT pharmacy lady i talked to said that it is not due till 11:59 Central Time. just pointing out for any that still need time to finish the app (myself included). good luck with the apps.

looks like the competition is pretty tough this year
Good luck everyone! :D

OU? Automatic rejection. Just kidding :D But yeah UT does look at the experience alot, from what I've heard.

Haha, I guess that should be my major concern. If I do get accepted, I don't know where my loyalties will lie.

wmw said:
Sounds like you have a serious app package together. Wilcox said at an LPPA meeting that he has denied ppl with 4.0/99s before, but I cant imagine you'd be the one in that category that gets denied. I know pharmacy experience is very important to UTCOP however, so you need to be prepared to answer a question as to why you have zero, hopefully that was in your essays or something.. It sounds like you have good volunteering going, keep that up as it will balance with your lack of pharm exp possibly. Honestly, I'd say youve got a pretty safe bet, the only stipulation would be that nobody really knows how important pharm exp is to them. Hopefully youve got some other 'softs' on your app, maybe research or extracurricular stuff bc your package is lacking in an important area. IMO you sound like a better candidate for a PhD or perhaps PharmD/PhD with your degrees etc....

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I can overcome that deficit in my application, but the fact that he states that he has denied 4.0/99's before does not really ease my mind. I do not have that many 'softs' besides my volunteer experience and being a member of a couple organizations. Hopefully I can wow them at the interview, but I am not that great of an interviewee. I have considered research, but I feel that research just does not suit me as well as being a pharmacist would.

Good luck to everyone else who has applied! Interview invitations should be coming soon :xf:.

But I need to say it. Boomer Sooner!

Haha, I guess that should be my major concern. If I do get accepted, I don't know where my loyalties will lie.

Thanks for the feedback. I hope I can overcome that deficit in my application, but the fact that he states that he has denied 4.0/99's before does not really ease my mind. I do not have that many 'softs' besides my volunteer experience and being a member of a couple organizations. Hopefully I can wow them at the interview, but I am not that great of an interviewee. I have considered research, but I feel that research just does not suit me as well as being a pharmacist would.

Good luck to everyone else who has applied! Interview invitations should be coming soon :xf:.

But I need to say it. Boomer Sooner!

The 2010-2011 PSAR states that UTCOP accepts 1% out of state.... I would say thats the biggest thing youve got against you.

The 2010-2011 PSAR states that UTCOP accepts 1% out of state.... I would say thats the biggest thing youve got against you.

I am actually a Texas resident. I went out of state for my undergraduate.

Now the waiting begins! Hopefully good news is on the way for all of us! Good luck everyone!!

Hello everyone,

You'll get an interview. Just do well in the interview, maybe have some reasons explaining your lack of pharmacy experience. Whoever asked about whether the interview was weighted more heavily than the application: Yes, the interview is the main deciding factor. Make sure to do really well and you'll have a good chance of acceptance. Good luck to you guys applying, I may see some of you at the interviews.