UGA c/o 2015 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaibabVet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just turned in my VMCAS application! Who else is applying to UGA? It's my IS school, but I'm still pretty nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say go luck to all the potential CVM Dawgs on here. If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask...its a long time until March so hang in there.

LVT2DVM- how ya doin'!?!?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
LVT2DVM: I have a question. I read that of the entire UGA c/o 2014, only 9% said they wanted to eventually work in the wildlife/zoo field. In your opinion, do you think this is because the school did not accept many applicants from this chosen field (that is, they only have so many "slots" for that interest)?

I'm wondering because wildlife is my field of interest, and most of my veterinary experience is concentrated in this area. I'm trying to make some plans in case I don't get accepted this year, and if UGA does not look particularly favorably on wild/zoo applicants, I may need to work on varying my experience for next year.

Obviously varied experience looks good on the application. I am wondering how much weight my wildlife research experience carries, or if other areas of veterinary medicine look better.

Thanks for your input!

I had my current school send my fall 2010 transcript on December 18th (just to make extra sure it got there by February). My school confirmed they sent it on January 6th. So of course, I emailed UGA to make sure they got it.

Today, January 19th, the admssions counselor finally got back to me and said that she did not receive my transcript. :eek: So I'm going to order another one and hopefully send it in the nick of time.

The lesson I learned is: don't take anything for granted. Also, I have a feeling the lost transcript was UGA's fault (and why did it take the admissions counselor a week to get back to me?).

*bump* annd still waiting... I heard we're supposed to be called in mid-February, which would be fantastic. I got an email from UGA last week informing me that I'm officially in-state, which indicates I'm still in the running...
:)

Finally! Other UGA-ers! This wait is literally killing me, especially when I see all of the other threads about people getting accepted! I heard we weren't supposed to get a response until mid-March. I thought they called the people who did our eLORs in February....

Hi alabastertree and TJenks89! It's great to see I'm not the only one waiting to hear from UGA.

Here's what I have heard from previous classes: At the end of February, UGA will sometimes call the top 10% of applicants (around 20 people) to let them know they were accepted. The rest are notified by mail late March.

About calling the eLORs, I'm not sure they always do this for everyone who is accepted. Does anyone know? I've heard that UGA calls recommenders in place of interviews. I've also heard they only call if there is a discrepancy or any question concerning the applicant.

Well, if you can't tell, I've been over-analyzing this application process WAY too much...

I hope they contact us soon!

LVT2DVM, when did you hear back? I was wondering if they contact you using anything other than snail mail (email, phone, etc) because what if the letter got lost in the mail or something?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

Oh no, one of my eLOR people just had a baby last night! She'll be kinda out of it... (*pictures the good Dr drooling tiredly into the phone*). Hope they'll be understanding. I doubt I'll be getting the call in Feb, though it would be awesome if I did!

Bumping because I can't stand waiting for UGA's response!!

So, I was bored and looking at UGA's website yesterday- they're not accepting/requiring the Bio GRE in next year's application cycle! My application was disqualified last year b/c that score was late- and I know a few people on this forum were disqualified this year. It's reassuring for people next year, but not helpful at all for us! RRRR.... :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! UGA is my IS...the wait is killing me too! I am so nervous/excited! I'm so glad to see other people are just as nervous as me!

So, I was bored and looking at UGA's website yesterday- they're not accepting/requiring the Bio GRE in next year's application cycle! My application was disqualified last year b/c that score was late- and I know a few people on this forum were disqualified this year. It's reassuring for people next year, but not helpful at all for us! RRRR.... :mad:

I practically look at their website EVERYDAY! Does anyone know if you only find out UGA's decision via snail mail? I feel like they should email or something else in addition, but I really have no idea. Hang in there guys! March is only a month away!

I think last year they called the top 10% in February....other than that I think everyone was notified via snail mail.

Does anyone know if you only find out UGA's decision via snail mail? I feel like they should email or something else in addition, but I really have no idea.

I'm pretty sure the majority of acceptances are notified by snail mail :( I know one (now graduated) vet who missed the letter and didn't think she was accepted. She found out later when she was going through her old mail... luckily it wasn't too late to sign up! Of course, if you don't hear from them, you could always email/call the admissions department just to check.

That's so crazy about the GRE Bio! All that hard work I put in, and apparently they don't even care much about it anymore...

I've heard that people have already been notified that they haven't been accepted? Is this true? Also, does anyone know how many people are typically put on a waiting list?

I knew someone last year who was #4 on the waiting list and didn't get in. Not encouraging, I know, but maybe 1-3 got in? As for people being told they haven't gotten in, I hope that's the case, because I haven't heard anything yet. :D In my previous app cycles (2003, 2009) UGA replied in mid March with a letter, but maybe they're responding to complaints about the glacial app process and improving their response times!

The vet I work for told me that UGA called him today as a reference check. I don't think this is good or bad. Good because it means they're considering me, but maybe bad because I have heard there are some people who get accepted and none of their references were called. Ah I don't know what to think!

My boss wasn't very specific; I'm going to try to get some more info about the conversation tomorrow. He said they asked very typical questions, similar to what was asked on the reference section of the VMCAS application. He said he told them pretty much the same information that he wrote in my rec (whatever that means). Apparently the questions were very "standard."

Whoever called my boss said that they're "calling references because they just have so many overqualified applicants." What does that mean?? I'm stressing out over this.

Has anyone else had their references called?

I've heard that people have already been notified that they haven't been accepted? Is this true? Also, does anyone know how many people are typically put on a waiting list?

Well, they basically narrow down their applicant pool as time goes on, so the later you get a response, the better. People that are being notified now (potentially excluding the top 10%) are most likely going to be the people that they rejected to dimish their applicant pool.

I asked my boss yesterday if he had been called, and he said no, so now I don't know what to think! I originally thought my eLOR people being called was a GOOD sign, but after hearing that people were accepted without their eLOR people being called makes me anxious.

I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN TAKE THIS WAITING!

UGA is my IS. I graduated from UGA with a wildlife degree in May 2009, and I have been living in Atlanta ever since. This is my first (and hopefully only :xf:) year applying to vet school. Just to give you my story ;)

As far as the whole calling evaluators issue: from searching previous sdn posts it seems to be a good thing, but other than that it's hard to find any trends. I don't think they call everyone's, and some people don't have their recs called until late March. Some have their recs called and are rejected anyway.

The only people who have been rejected from UGA so far are the ones who were "disqualified" (GRE scores not received on time, etc.). Which, if you ask me, is a little unfair...

Just to offer a slightly different opinion from TJenks89 (not that I disagree with you, just want to give an alternate explanation): It may be that the earlier they notify you the BETTER. Since they are narrowing the applicant pool, they will accept people in successive waves, then reject everyone else once they have filled all the spots. But who knows the way they really work? Maybe there's not much of an order to it at all :(

Just to offer a slightly different opinion from TJenks89 (not that I disagree with you, just want to give an alternate explanation): It may be that the earlier they notify you the BETTER. Since they are narrowing the applicant pool, they will accept people in successive waves, then reject everyone else once they have filled all the spots. But who knows the way they really work? Maybe there's not much of an order to it at all :(

You could honestly be right. What I said was along the lines of what my advisor told me, and I found out recently that many of the things he told me about the DVM/PhD program were completely incorrect, so I don't doubt that other things he told me may be wrong. The only other facts I can offer are that all of the UGA CVM students that I have talked to said they received their acceptances in mid-March.

I really wish UGA were more straightforward about their whole admissions process. To me, it's all a big mystery.

I haven't had any of my references called yet, but I definitely think it is a GOOD thing if they have called any of them. It means they are definitely considering you. Good luck everyone! I am going to be absolutely devastated if I don't get into UGA......I'm sure everyone feels that way. Does anyone know if they have contacted the top 10% yet?

I have heard about acceptances for 2015, starting today, apparently they're early acceptances.

Last edited:
Have they posted a list of acceptances on campus? Would anyone be willing to look it up and post it? Otherwise, I'm going to take a weekly trip to UGA and look for myself... this is KILLING me. :D

I have heard about acceptances for 2015, starting today, apparently they're early acceptances.

Are they mailed?

Also, I've never heard of them "posting" acceptances up on campus. Do they do this?

Are they mailed?

Also, I've never heard of them "posting" acceptances up on campus. Do they do this?

They post the final list on the door of the Academic Affairs office, after everyone has confirmed. By then, obviously, everyone who is in the class has gotten notice.

I believe the early acceptances are by phone call. Mid march is typical for the rest of the letters.

Have they posted a list of acceptances on campus? Would anyone be willing to look it up and post it? Otherwise, I'm going to take a weekly trip to UGA and look for myself... this is KILLING me. :D

If you didn't find out today, set St. Patrick's Day as your target worry day, and try not to worry until after you recover from the St. Pat's rabblerousing.

I'm just beginning to get worried because my references haven't been called :confused:. I haven't received any mail or anything from UGA, so I guess I'm still in the running.

I'm just beginning to get worried because my references haven't been called :confused:. I haven't received any mail or anything from UGA, so I guess I'm still in the running.

I wouldn't be worried! I searched the previous years on sdn to try to see if there was a pattern to who gets their references called (yes... I'm obsessed). I couldn't really find one. Check out the class of 2013 UGA thread... they were nice enough to list when their references were called and whether or not they were accepted. From what I could tell (and of course there's a sampling bias), there's no pattern.

Of all the people I have talked too, I'm the only one I know of who has had a reference call. Unfortunately, being an odd-ball out isn't usually a good thing...
But I'm still hoping!

Thanks for informing us, projekt. Knowing specific dates eases my mind.

Congrats to any early acceptances! Please don't hesitate to introduce yourselves.

I wouldn't be worried! I searched the previous years on sdn to try to see if there was a pattern to who gets their references called (yes... I'm obsessed). I couldn't really find one. Check out the class of 2013 UGA thread... they were nice enough to list when their references were called and whether or not they were accepted. From what I could tell (and of course there's a sampling bias), there's no pattern.QUOTE]

How did you find that thread? I looked but couldn't find threads that old!

Hey Guys,

I'm in the class of 2013 at the UGA CVM. Calling your references is a GREAT thing. At least when I applied. I didn't know anyone who got in whose references weren't called. That being said, things may have changed because they also didn't let the top 10% in our year either (it was my understanding last year was the first time they did that). I also think that each group of people in the academic affairs office have a pile of applicants and they call them in a random order (like it didn't seem to be in ABC order). Try not to worry. I know it's super stressful!!!! Believe me I know, but it will happen for you. If it is your dream to be a vet then you will be a vet. Don't let anyone tell you differently....even the admissions office of a vet school.

I emailed the admissions counselor last night, just to ask if the top 10% had already been called and when the rest of us might get letters. Here is her response:

"The top 10% of Georgia applicants, the top 10% of South Carolina applicants, the top West Virginia applicant, and the top Delaware applicant will receive a verbal offer of admission. Acceptance letters will be mailed out in March. That is the best clarification I can give you at this point in time. I know the wait has been hard, but we are nearing the home stretch."

Just FYI

Any idea when "verbal offers" will be made?

Hmm..so maybe since she is using future tense, the top 10% haven't been notified yet...

Stop trying to read the tea leaves and go and have fun until after St. Patricks Day. Seriously!

Sorry Im coming so late to the party..exams have been horrendous...as I type I should be studying for toxicology or pathology.

Okay, I think projekt or lemurvet may have said/answered this already, but don't freak out if your references do not get called. It doesn't mean anything other than they are still making decisions. They have so many applications, they are basically looking for anything to narrow down the pool, and lets face it there are people that "stretch" their application, so they are just trying to look for that sort of thing...if your legit then it means nothing.

I have heard there have been some phone calls (again the top 10% thing) but I only know of a couple, and this is pretty typical. I think (IMO) they do this early so the top 10% that are most likely getting accepted from other state schools, have time to contemplate and schedule visits to make decisions, yada yada. Paper decisions (the bulk of offers) wont go out until March as already said. (that is when I got my letter) And I know it sucks, but as far as I know UGA is not contemplating changing from snail mail! So just leave some cookies in the mailbox and stop lurking. M-Kay! LOL

As far as the wildlife questions, Lemurvet is probably a better person to answer that. You can IM her. I think the low percentage of wildlife area of emphasis has more to do with people realizing the field is very difficult to find work in and less to do with what UGA is "looking" for. But you are correct the wider your experiences are, the better you will look. But being distinct and decided about your path is good too, esp. if your desired area is where your experience lies. They basically want to see that you've look at a variety of options, just to have a feel for what is out there. If you have done that and then shown your interest lies in Y and most of your experience is in Y area then that is a plus I think. (Hope that makes sense)

Hope that helps.. sorry about my absence...you will understand soon enough. IM me anytime and Hang in there...its totally worth it!

LVT2DVM: I have a question. I read that of the entire UGA c/o 2014, only 9% said they wanted to eventually work in the wildlife/zoo field. In your opinion, do you think this is because the school did not accept many applicants from this chosen field (that is, they only have so many "slots" for that interest)?

I'm wondering because wildlife is my field of interest, and most of my veterinary experience is concentrated in this area. I'm trying to make some plans in case I don't get accepted this year, and if UGA does not look particularly favorably on wild/zoo applicants, I may need to work on varying my experience for next year.

Obviously varied experience looks good on the application. I am wondering how much weight my wildlife research experience carries, or if other areas of veterinary medicine look better.

Thanks for your input!

Got a call from Dr. Carmichael yesterday afternoon... so yeah, I'm pretty excited!

Good luck everyone, I bet there's some thick envelopes headed your way!

Got a call from Dr. Carmichael yesterday afternoon... so yeah, I'm pretty excited!

Just out of curiosity since you got a call...would you mind posting your GPA, GRE, and Bio GRE scores? Just to give the rest of us an idea where we stand... Please? Waiting for news is agonizing!

Just out of curiosity since you got a call...would you mind posting your GPA, GRE, and Bio GRE scores? Just to give the rest of us an idea where we stand... Please? Waiting for news is agonizing!

Yeah. I know it's a weird thing to ask, but I feel like this process is so much worse because I still don't know where I stand in relation to other people. Like, did the top 10% have a 4.0,was it based on other things etc. It would be a huge help for my sanity.

Also... CONGRATULATIONS KAIBABVET!!!! God, it must feel so good!!

I wish that UGA would call me! Unfortunately, I don't think my GPA is high enough to put me in the top 10%. Hopefully I'll get a nice letter later on in March. I'm just SO worried!!!

I know it was very helpful for me to read other people's stats, so I'll give back a little karma. Here are my abbreviated stats:

25 y/o female, GA resident, 1st time applicant
undergrad: wildlife degree from UGA
post-bacc: physics, o-chem, and biochem at GA State

UGA GPA: 3.86
science (my calc): 3.67
Last 45 hr (my calc): 3.98

GRE: 1430
math: 720
verbal: 710

GRE bio: 770

I am a bit nervous about sharing this because you all may (hopefully! :xf:) be my future classmates. Although my scores are good, I really think that the admissions committee will select students for all kinds of reasons other than grades/scores. For example, one the vets I work for now was accepted to UGA with a (somewhat modest) 3.2 GPA, but she was able to display her true dedication to the field. I think, in the end, the applicant is considered as a whole (well-rounded) person and that is what matters most. Excellent grades and scores are a plus but not a requirement for admission. Also, I know more than a few people who don't have the best grades, but I'm still pretty sure they're going to make AWESOME vets.