UGA c/o 2015 Hopefuls

Started by KaibabVet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EEEEP! I just got my acceptance letter! The acceptance comes in the BIG envelope. Good luck everyone! 🙂🙂🙂😀😀
 
EEEEP! I just got my acceptance letter! The acceptance comes in the BIG envelope. Good luck everyone! 🙂🙂🙂😀😀
OMG I cannot believe that I JUST FOUND this forum. I applied in October as well and I am a first time applicant with UGA CVM being my IS school. If I would have known about this forum beforehand, it would have helped getting me through this dreadful waiting game!! It is nice to know that their are others feeling the same as I am.

Congrats to TJenks!!! My vet reference was called last week and I am freaking out. I live in Augusta, GA so I probably won't get a letter till tomorrow. I have been checking every day and this is so nerve wrecking!!

TJenks, do you mind giving your stats? If you do not feel comfortable since I am new to this, I completely understand! Good luck to the rest of y'all and I hope you all hear good news! 🙂
 
I'm out. Is there an appeals process?

🙁So sorry ouijetaime...I know exactly how you feel right now..

There is a process where you can discuss your application strengths and weakness with the admissions staff. They usually will have you call sometime in May once the class is finalized. Hang in there.
 
Well, that was fun. Looks like I'm out. The appeals process is a phone call (you call them) in May to schedule an appointment for June-July to find out what you can improve by October. Last year, I was told to improve my GPA (which I did-as best I could, I have nearly 200 hours), and get research experience (which I didn't- very hard to get your foot in the door at an animal research lab). Who knows what else needed improvement. Congrats to everyone who made it!!
 
EEEEP! I just got my acceptance letter! The acceptance comes in the BIG envelope. Good luck everyone! 🙂🙂🙂😀😀

Yay congrats! Here is the facebook group for the class of 2015 http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_196348367059765&ap=1

🙁 For those of you who didn't get in this year, I hope you apply again next year. Anyone who cares enough to be an SDN member is going to care about their application, and I bet that translates to who is a competitive applicant.

Good luck runningonfaith! :luck:
 
Are there any Delaware-resident SDN members out there this year...(Im a DE resident...just curious)...it takes about 5 days to get your mail from UGA so be looking for Sat or Mon. :luck:
 
I was rejected as well. Really devastating; this was my third time applying. Not really sure where to go from here... Congratulations to all that got in and good luck to those still waiting.
 
I was rejected as well. Really devastating; this was my third time applying. Not really sure where to go from here... Congratulations to all that got in and good luck to those still waiting.

Kittkat are you IS, OSS? Did you apply anywhere else? Did you take advantage of the application review any of the previous years? Sorry for all the ??

I know you dont feel like talking about it right now, but when you are ready IM me...AND don't give up!!
 
LVT2DVM: I'm IS. I did not apply anywhere else. I applied to Louisiana State and Mississippi State last year but didn't make it past the first cuts. I've thought about some of the out of country schools but that would be a really difficult move/adjustment. UGA is really the only place I want to go...I'm getting a little jaded though 🙂 My GPA's pretty average and my test scores are kinda low. I have over 5000 hours in the small animal field. I know I still have room for improvement. At this point I have to really dig deep...do some soul searching...and decide which path to take. How did you keep your motivation? What did you do in between applications?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TJenks, do you mind giving your stats? If you do not feel comfortable since I am new to this, I completely understand! Good luck to the rest of y'all and I hope you all hear good news! 🙂

Welcome to the forum L4A! I don't mind giving my stats at all, especially since it really helped me to see other applicants' stats.

1st year app, undergrad at UGA, 21 years old
Cum GPA: 3.51
Last 45 hour: ~3.8
Science: ~3.4

GRE: 1280 (700Q, 580V) 4.0 AW

Vet Exp:
200 hours shadowing a SA vet at a clinic during high school
~1000 hours working at an Avian Infectious Disease research lab, working with avian influenza virus (this was at my time of application, I have more now)
~20 hours on UGA Colic Team (when I was actually called in to help)

Animal Exp:
~2000 hours working at a doggie daycare
-working with fosters for a rescue
-worked in the Small Animal Surgery Suite at the vet school for a year during my freshman year

Honestly, my grades are pretty average compared to the stats of accepted applicants, but I think I got in because of the research I did. I also did an oral presentation at the Southern Conference for Avian Diseases in January, which was probably a huge help.

Good luck to those who are still waiting for their letter!:luck::luck::luck:
 
Wow TJenks you have some great undergrad research. I have a few years of bird research but I would have LOVED to do something with avian infectious diseases, that sounds so fascinating... Hm I guess I still can pursue that next year at UGA. Yay! (It's still sinking in)
 
I'm sorry HorseLuv88... I really was hoping everyone from this forum would get accepted. Do you have a specific question about applying next year? If I didn't get in, I was going to take extra advanced biology post-bac classes and try to do really well (maybe just one or two per semester). Also, since I have pretty significant depth of experience (tons of wildlife related stuff) I was going to try to broaden my resume a bit, particularly in the large animal and farm animal areas. If you have breadth but not depth, it would be the opposite for you. Retaking the GRE sounds terrible but I think it can help a lot (plus the ETS format is totally new this year, you can skip questions, etc). Other than that... I don't know. I would definitely have done a file review though to find out more specifics.
 
I'm sorry HorseLuv88... I really was hoping everyone from this forum would get accepted. Do you have a specific question about applying next year? If I didn't get in, I was going to take extra advanced biology post-bac classes and try to do really well (maybe just one or two per semester). Also, since I have pretty significant depth of experience (tons of wildlife related stuff) I was going to try to broaden my resume a bit, particularly in the large animal and farm animal areas. If you have breadth but not depth, it would be the opposite for you. Retaking the GRE sounds terrible but I think it can help a lot (plus the ETS format is totally new this year, you can skip questions, etc). Other than that... I don't know. I would definitely have done a file review though to find out more specifics.

Thank you for your suggestions...I think taking some advanced bio classes is a really great idea. I am definitely going to have a file review so I know what to fix for next year. How did you find your wildlife experiences? I don't have any experience with wildlife. I have a lot of small animal, equine, large animal, and research. Thanks again for your help!
 
Sent you a pretty long message but I didn't read this first...

yeah..the GRE thing...really a big deal at UGA...so I took the Kaplan course and got as many prep books as I could afford and re-took the exam. Sucky option I know but my points did go up.

Motivation?? Hmmmm We'll I will be very honest...for every cycle I was rejected, I would cry for about 2wks, lick my wounds and swear I was never gonna apply again! And then every summer, I would have to work with new vet interns (they are infectious I tell ya), I would start talking to them about my application and about thinking about things I could change... I would think to myself..."You can do this...this is do-able!"...And by August, I would be cruising the VMCAS pages😳
Once I found SDN, I read everything I could, looked over stats, asked lots of questions, made some good contacts. They helped me review my application and make changes that I think really helped my last application stand out. Having a support system really helped too (family, friends, mentors, ect).

Also, I was a tech for such a long time, I already had a career to fall back on..While it hurt to be rejected, I didn't have to think about what I was gonna do if I didn't get in...I think this puts some of you in a more tenuous situation than I ever was.

But the motivation comes from within. It is a conscious decision YOU have to make. Making the decision not to continue to apply, is just as honorable. It just wasn't an option "I" was willing to live with.


LVT2DVM: I'm IS. I did not apply anywhere else. I applied to Louisiana State and Mississippi State last year but didn't make it past the first cuts. I've thought about some of the out of country schools but that would be a really difficult move/adjustment. UGA is really the only place I want to go...I'm getting a little jaded though 🙂 My GPA's pretty average and my test scores are kinda low. I have over 5000 hours in the small animal field. I know I still have room for improvement. At this point I have to really dig deep...do some soul searching...and decide which path to take. How did you keep your motivation? What did you do in between applications?
 
LVT2DVM: What kind of GRE score is UGA looking for?

This is the good place to start. Its an average though. The person who helped me with my application had me shoot for 1250 (standard) and 600 (BIO). I never got that high...but was told that was a competitive score.

For me personally, I think what mattered is that I had a significant increase from one year to the next, which showed the ad coms that I was trying to improve. (pure speculation on my part)
 
Hey all, a newbie here! This year was my first time applying to vet school, and I just got a letter in the mail tonight stating that I was placed on the alternate list for the At Large category. I was pretty shocked since both CSU (my IS) and UF rejected me.

Does anyone know how many people are put on UGA's At Large alternate list? I don't know how far down on the list I am, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, especially since so few are accepted... After two rejections, a "not-accepted-but-not-necessarily-completely-100%-outright-rejected" letter made me feel a little less like a failure!

Congrats to all who made it in!
 
Wow! SeaHawk that is IMPRESSIVE! UGA only takes 1 or 2 At-Large students typically. I have no idea how many alternates they consider. Did they say when you could call and see what your alternate number is? Usually it is around the date they require the accepted applicants decisions...April 15th-ish. If your kinda high on the list...you might have a pretty good shot, because, like you said most people get into their IS, and decide to stay for a better tuition. Keep us posted!:luck:
 
This is the good place to start. Its an average though. The person who helped me with my application had me shoot for 1250 (standard) and 600 (BIO). I never got that high...but was told that was a competitive score.

For me personally, I think what mattered is that I had a significant increase from one year to the next, which showed the ad coms that I was trying to improve. (pure speculation on my part)


Huh. My scores were 1290 standard and 710 Bio. I guess I need to go higher...
 
Those are pretty outstanding scores. I know accepted first time applicants who didn't do that well. Goes to show you it's not all about grades. Definitely meet with the admissions counselor! The personal statement is really important. Maybe you need some more experience? Something that sets you apart from others. I was told this year it was very difficult for them to make decisions b/c everyone was so qualified...blah, blah, blah. Make connections...I'm sure your eLOR's are very important too.
 
Huh. My scores were 1290 standard and 710 Bio. I guess I need to go higher...

No, I don't think you need to go higher, those are great scores! Definitely, talk with Laura Lee, and see what she recommends. I know its hard to wait 2 months to find out...Hang in there!
 
If anyone does a file review, I'd be interested in your feedback if you'd like to share. Some of my younger sister's friends are interested in UGA vet school, and I'd like to give them the most accurate info I can. Only if you feel comfortable!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats c/o 2015! If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

2 important points of advice to you all that i wish somebody would have told me: i know you all are really excited about getting started and being prepared and some of you will run out and buy books right away, but you should wait. Once you have your UGA email account, all the upper class men will be emailing you like crazy trying to sell their used books for much cheaper than amazon.

#2- make sure you enjoy your summer. I understand working to set aside a little bit of reserve money, but make sure you have lots of relaxation time and do fun things because pretty soon you will be working your butts off and you won't being seeing your friends/family very much so enjoy them while you can. You only get two summers off while you are in vet school and those are often filled with externships, so take your one free summer and be young and crazy. Have a little fun in your life.

Good luck!😀😀😀