WCU COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As for all other schools, here is a discussion thread for our latest COM!

Members don't see this ad.

A forum for all those applying to William Carey COM in the 2011-2012 cycle.

it is FINALLY MY year to apply! yayyy! i'm so excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I received my secondary by email on June 30.

This is the place for people to post who are interested in /have applied/will apply to William Carey University - College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Does anyone know if they screen out applicants before sending a secondary? Thanks much.

FRKY- Not I...

Does anyone know if they screen out applicants before sending a secondary? Thanks much.

FRKY- Not I...

We were told during our interview (I interviewed last year) that they do screen applicants before sending out a secondary

Anyone know how friendly William Carey is to OOS students?
I'm from CA.

I just got the strangest email from WCU stating I was short on English credits. I'm looking at my AACOMAS, and I have the required six credits listed. Does anyone know if WCU puts a time limitation on credits? I took my English series back in 1999-2000. I'm really confused.

I just got the strangest email from WCU stating I was short on English credits. I'm looking at my AACOMAS, and I have the required six credits listed. Does anyone know if WCU puts a time limitation on credits? I took my English series back in 1999-2000. I'm really confused.

My English hours was way older than yours. I would follow up on that with Emily Bennett at WCU next week. (The following week is the 1st week of classes.)

My English hours was way older than yours. I would follow up on that with Emily Bennett at WCU next week. (The following week is the 1st week of classes.)

Thankfully it appears to be an error with AACOMAS entering my data. Jeez, Dr. Weir is on the ball though. Talk about a fast response! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully it appears to be an error with AACOMAS entering my data. Jeez, Dr. Weir is on the ball though. Talk about a fast response! Thanks :)

Dr. Weir is great!!! But all of the staff are wonderful too. They have been really helpful to me as I worked through the mound of paperwork once you are accepted.

Follow an "old man" through medical school at
http://oldmanmedschool.livejournal.com

Can anyone post the prompts for the secondary application? Character limit?

Any current students at William Carey care to comment on:

1.) Quality of your experience so far?
2.) Interaction with faculty?
3.) Depth of basic science eucation?
4.) How you feel William Carey is preparing you for your clinical years and post graduate training?
5.) Or any other comments you have?

Any current students at William Carey care to comment on:

1.) Quality of your experience so far?
2.) Interaction with faculty?
3.) Depth of basic science eucation?
4.) How you feel William Carey is preparing you for your clinical years and post graduate training?
5.) Or any other comments you have?

I am assuming that you are asking the Class of 2014 these questions, but I can comment on questions 1 & 5.

# 1. It has been wonderful experience. The faculty, and especially the staff, have been most helpful in getting us through the mound of paperwork needed before you enter medical school. I have had a chance to get to know some of my fellow med students, in both classes, and I think that they are great. It will be an interesting, fun, and hard journey with them. I am looking forward to it.

# 5. I really think that great things will happen at William Carey. The dedication and vision of the leadership, faculty, and staff is top notch.

There will be "growing pains" for sure, but I could NOT be happier with my choice to attend William Carey.

[URL="http://oldmanmedschool.livejournal.com/"]http://oldmanmedschool.livejournal.com

[/URL]

I am assuming that you are asking the Class of 2014 these questions, but I can comment on questions 1 & 5.

# 1. It has been wonderful experience. The faculty, and especially the staff, have been most helpful in getting us through the mound of paperwork needed before you enter medical school. I have had a chance to get to know some of my fellow med students, in both classes, and I think that they are great. It will be an interesting, fun, and hard journey with them. I am looking forward to it.

# 5. I really think that great things will happen at William Carey. The dedication and vision of the leadership, faculty, and staff is top notch.

There will be "growing pains" for sure, but I could NOT be happier with my choice to attend William Carey.

[URL="http://oldmanmedschool.livejournal.com/"]http://oldmanmedschool.livejournal.com

[/URL]

Exactly what they said! :)

Can anyone post the prompts for the secondary application? Character limit?
The secondary is a microsoft word doc...You fill out the form, print and mail it

Theres no character limit listed, just one essay.

"Statement of Purpose

The mission of the William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare men and women to become osteopathic physicians through an emphasis on primary care, lifelong learning, and scholarly activity. By using a community-based training model, the COM will educate and train graduates who are committed to serving the healthcare needs of all individuals with special attention directed to the medically underserved and diverse populations of the state, region, and international mission field.

In the space below, please explain how your ambitions and career plans will help WCU-COM to fulfill this mission."

Theres about 3/4 of the page blank below the prompt, I suppose you could attach an extra page if necessary.

Anyone know when interview invites get sent out? My secondary is in, just waiting now...

Anyone know when interview invites get sent out? My secondary is in, just waiting now...

Yeah, I'm so anxious to hear back on an invite. I called in to confirm my file was complete. From what I've read from the past two years' threads, they move fast.

They must not like my numbers. I haven't heard anything at all from WCU. Good luck to those that have.

Well it may not be your numbers, I've heard they start off with sending secondary apps only to people in the Gulf South. I'm from Florida.

Well if that is true, that may be why. I am definitely not from that area. And I can definitely understand regional biases.

I was a November interview last year. Hold tight guys, they may not give out invites til September. :)

Well if that is true, that may be why. I am definitely not from that area. And I can definitely understand regional biases.

And I'm an OOS student, from Oklahoma. In the November interview, we had students from Florida, Chicago, etc. So don't be discouraged!

I was a November interview last year. Hold tight guys, they may not give out invites til September. :)

Right now we are only in our 2nd week and our 2nd years have not even started. Let them get everybody settled and I am sure that they will start sending out invites.

I have found WCU to be awesome. IMO, it will be well worth a little unrest.

I got my secondary sent in on August 5th. I got the interview invite today for September 12th. So I guess it was almost exactly 2 weeks between my secondary and hearing back from them.

I got my secondary sent in on August 5th. I got the interview invite today for September 12th. So I guess it was almost exactly 2 weeks between my secondary and hearing back from them.

Wow, that's great. They don't waste time. I sent mine in August 4th from Florida.

Was the invite by email or snail mail?

Last edited:
Email. They may take a little longer to get to you since you're out of the region, I've heard they do that but I'm not sure.

Yeah, I've heard the same. I was happy to even get the secondary invite. My AACOMAS was released 7/28 and I got the secondary the same day. I know there on people on here who were released in mid-late June and didnt get the secondary yet. So I guess I'm on the outer edge of their region lol

anyone know the avg MCAT scores for this school?? I can't find it anywhere!!

Haven't heard anything from this school. Maybe because I'm in California :p

Any word on when they'll start reviewing apps and giving out interview invites?

anyone know the avg MCAT scores for this school?? I can't find it anywhere!!

I have not seen anything official or told anything by the school, but I heard the the average MCAT score of our class was a 27.

Last edited:
I really hope this is the week invites begin to come out...

So silent.... I haven't heard anything.

Hey guys, I know you're all antsy and wondering if you'll hear anything from WCU COM, but hang in there! We, the first years, are just getting through our Block I tests, class elections, etc. The second years are equally busy! So, there's a ton of stuff going on here.

Have you guys tried calling our admissions office and seeing what phase they're in for this application cycle? Emily Bennett and Dr. Weir are fantastic and really helpful! Give it a shot!

Just got an invite for September 16. I'm surprised i got one so quick, considering I just mailed it out yesterday. I received the secondary in tbe beginning of August, also, but just now sent it in. Good luck to everyone else!

Just got an invite for September 16. I'm surprised i got one so quick, considering I just mailed it out yesterday. I received the secondary in tbe beginning of August, also, but just now sent it in. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?
and re you from Mississippi (or a nearby state)?

Congrats!
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?
and re you from Mississippi (or a nearby state)?

I'm surprised I got an invite really. My GPA is pretty decent. sGPA of 3.67 and cGPA of 3.77. My MCAT scores are pretty embarassing though =x. I got a 24 the first time I took it, then somehow I went down to a 21 =/. I'm awaiting my third set of scores, and pray to god it is above a 24... I think being a MS resident really helped me out.

I'm surprised I got an invite really. My GPA is pretty decent. sGPA of 3.67 and cGPA of 3.77. My MCAT scores are pretty embarassing though =x. I got a 24 the first time I took it, then somehow I went down to a 21 =/. I'm awaiting my third set of scores, and pray to god it is above a 24... I think being a MS resident really helped me out.

GPA-wise, you'd be in good position for MD schools. Good luck. I've been complete since August 8th and WCU is definitely near/at the top of my list.

Yeah they definitely send them out quicker to people within their region. I sent mine in the same time as you BossDoc and I guess I just heard back quicker because I'm a Louisiana resident. Isn't necessarily a bad sign for you, just haven't got to yours yet!

@timaq, i didn't apply to WCU last year, but this is my 2nd time around as a DO applicant, so I'm just a little anxious for something positive. I submitted my primaries and secondaries much earlier this yr, so I'm hoping that helps out.

It's crazy how the total applicant pool has been increasing in size these past couple cycles.